Poto: Olson Park/Ann Arbor Loop

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Postby Elno Lewis » June 18th, 2007, 11:39 am

I'm in.
Palmdale! Come back to me!
I need you and I love you!
Elno Lewis

Postby bill_m » October 19th, 2007, 7:13 pm

The bad news - a big ash tree blew down today on the M-14 underpass trail.

The good news - it was about 50 feet from the logpile. So, my chainsaw, some re-bar, some help from the U of M cycling guys and we have a new and much improved logpile. And it is all prime fresh wood. Enjoy!
Potawatomi Chapter President
Join the Poto Chapter e-mail list: MMBA-Poto-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
bill_m

Postby Ed » March 18th, 2008, 5:44 pm

There is still a lot of snow/ice on the trails. I walked a bunch of the local loop yesterday (3/17) and cut quite a few of trees off the trail. A couple of knuckleheads had ridden some parts very recently leaving some muddy ruts :x And yes, I was careful to avoid leaving "postholes" from walking.
Ed

Postby bill_m » April 8th, 2008, 9:45 am

Olson is ready to ride. There is a big pool of water on the trail just west of the picnic pavillion, but the soil has thawed and drained. However, if it starts raning it will get muddy again, so play it by ear. There are also a couple of trees down that I will try to clear this week.

The rest of the AA loop is mostly ready, so be prepared to do some dis-mounting but go for it. There is a re-route on the Barton Dam loop that I am trying to find out who did. I think it was the city but I haven't received confirmation. Be careful as they didn't dig out the root balls and left a lot of little stumps that will grab your pedals.
bill_m

Postby Power-San » April 21st, 2008, 10:09 am

4/19/08 - Great conditions, did all the trails in their entirety..
Such a great place for kids and beginners, and it's FREEEEE..
Power-San

Postby bill_m » April 30th, 2008, 7:36 pm

If a group of riders is on the trail that goes under M-14 and is willing to stop for a minute, the boardwalk needs some help. The end on the inside of the culvert had fallen off its support blocks, but it is really heavy. It will take a couple of guys to lift and one to move the 4x4 sections back into place. If you look closely you will notice that the boardwalk leans to one side. It will be quick and easy to fix, it will just require some man-power.

Thanks!
bill_m

Postby Aether » May 15th, 2008, 6:26 pm

bill_m wrote:If a group of riders is on the trail that goes under M-14 and is willing to stop for a minute, the boardwalk needs some help. The end on the inside of the culvert had fallen off its support blocks, but it is really heavy. It will take a couple of guys to lift and one to move the 4x4 sections back into place. If you look closely you will notice that the boardwalk leans to one side. It will be quick and easy to fix, it will just require some man-power.

Thanks!

I ride here with 2 friends about twice a week,,,we would be down to probably do it but Im not sure exactly where your talking about. We always park in the lot and use the green/red trailhead so Ive never connected from under the bridge. Weve ridden all the trails in the park itself though so if you tell me where to connect well check it out
Aether

Postby bill_m » May 16th, 2008, 4:59 am

The trail I was referring to is not in Olson Park, it is the trail that runs between Pontiac Trail and Whitmore Lake Road. There is a big culvert that goes under the highway that has a section of boardwalk over a small stream. The end of the boardwalk inside the culvert is what is leaning to one side.

It would only take a group a couple of seconds to fix, but it is really heavy!
bill_m

Postby FBMphil » May 16th, 2008, 7:35 am

I rode it about 3 weeks ago and it seemed fine to me?

Then again, it was a cloudy day and I literally couldn't see that I needed to bunnyhop up onto the boardwalk :P
FBMphil

Postby Aether » May 31st, 2008, 7:26 pm

so is there any kind of singletrack or anything that would connect bandameier and olson park and if not does anyone know a good quick route between the two

or should I just ask google maps
Aether

Postby barrybs » May 31st, 2008, 8:04 pm

Aether wrote:so is there any kind of singletrack or anything that would connect bandameier and olson park and if not does anyone know a good quick route between the two

There is singletrack most of the way between the two parks. Kind of hard to describe online. Watch the Ride Announcements section for a group ride, (usually Tuesday or Wednesday) and come along for the tour.

Barry
The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail. Travel too fast and you miss all you are traveling for.
Louis L'Amour
barrybs

Postby FBMphil » May 31st, 2008, 8:30 pm

Aether wrote:so is there any kind of singletrack or anything that would connect bandameier and olson park and if not does anyone know a good quick route between the two

There's a singletrack link under M-14 north of the intersection of Whitmore Lake Rd. and Barton Drive.
FBMphil

Postby Aether » May 31st, 2008, 10:15 pm

I think you mean this one right

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&g ... 7&t=h&z=19

so you basically just take this over to pontiac trail and head north then? or is there some more singletrack that splits off into the woods that you cant see on the map
Aether

Postby Aether » May 31st, 2008, 10:18 pm

and furthermore,,, google maps is sweet
Aether

Postby barrybs » June 1st, 2008, 2:57 pm

You are on the right track! After you cross under M14 through the tunnel there are several choices that lead you trough to Pontiac trail. The best ones are off to the right. When you reach Pont. Trail go straight across into Leslie Park across from the bus stop. (there is a sign). About 200 yards into the woods the trail will split part way up a hill. Keep to the left and you follow some tight single track downhill, cross a bridge over a creek, then back uphill and pop out of the woods between a golf course and Arrowwood Hills. Now if you go North about another mile you hit Duvahren road across from Olson Park. If you like to explore just go wander around and you'll figure it out.

Barry
The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail. Travel too fast and you miss all you are traveling for.
Louis L'Amour
barrybs

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions