Poto: Olson Park/Ann Arbor Loop

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

A medium sized tree down on Olson Park trail......

Postby bluebellknoll » September 17th, 2006, 1:44 am

blocks the trail. Will probably need several people to move it, or sawed off.
Also, the metal ladder on one of the AA loop trails (not Olson Park) between Olson Park and Pontiac trails is very unstable due to the rain. Better to just walk over the small stream.
bluebellknoll

Postby bill_m » September 28th, 2006, 11:15 am

I am calling a workday for this Saturday 9/30 at 10 am to fix the bridge issues. We will reapair the following:

:arrow: Move the boardwalk sections over the creek just off of Whitmore Lake Road and anchor them with re-bar.

:arrow: Place a pre-built new bridge over the creek between Huron River Drive and Bandemere Park.

:arrow: Replace the metal ladder with a pre-built new bridge. As much as I like the old skinny bridge, the creek banks are now missing and it simply is not long enough. We will anchor the new bridge with re-bar and hopefully prevent another washout.

Meet at the Bandemere Parking lot just off of Whitmore Lake/Barton Drive.

Potawatomi Chapter President
Join the Poto Chapter e-mail list: MMBA-Poto-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
bill_m

Postby scat silvurz » October 5th, 2006, 9:40 pm

I rode the park last week - and tried out my new GPS on my bike - this is how the park shaped up via Google Earth....pretty cool, I'd say....

and the rest of the AA loop I rode that day - I think I have a new toy!

Five fingers, three chords, and one *beep*.....!
scat silvurz

Postby HappyHelmet » October 5th, 2006, 9:55 pm

I see you skipped the Bluffs, Scat. And, you MAMA'd on that rock-jump at NEAP! GPS don't lie! :D :D :D

Pretty cool. We should do a 'hit every piece of trail in town' ride some weekend and see what that looks like!
Eric
HappyHelmet

Postby scat silvurz » October 5th, 2006, 10:17 pm

yeah yeah yeah.....the GIRLS were getting low blood sugar at Kubler-Langford :lol: , so we turned around before we got to the m14 underpass to go Bluffing....but, we made up for it by aborting the ride and hitting ABC for some good grub and BEER!

AND NO, I NAILED THE ROCK JUMP !

good idea Eric - I got a hard mount for the GPS on the bike, so I think it will be coming along for the ride/s.....

Lastly, I'm really suprised that AA has finally been updated....before, everything was very fuzzy and out of date, but now they have the updated Sat photos, that were taken last winter of 2005/6.....if you go to Google Earth and scroll around you can clearly see snowy areas and frozen ponds, but adjacent are the older summertime satellite photos...it's so cool living on such a planet!
Five fingers, three chords, and one *beep*.....!
scat silvurz

Postby bill_m » October 6th, 2006, 2:04 pm

Scott, you and I have some work to do. Riding work that is 8)
bill_m

Postby bhollen666 » October 8th, 2006, 7:07 pm

Rode through it today with a friend for the first time this year. We started with the yellow trail but I thought that we were going the wrong way. When we looked at the sign it showed that we had gone the wrong way, but then I noticed some other markings that you made, Bill, during the trail day last year. The new markings are the correct ones, right? The signs then are wrong for the yellow trail.
bhollen666

Postby RockhopperA2 » October 15th, 2006, 8:34 pm

Should problems for all of the A2 trails be posted here, or just NE park?
I'm not changing this sig until I do the ridge trail completely clean.
RockhopperA2

Postby dew » October 18th, 2006, 8:33 pm

Trails are mostly muddy and slippery tonight making cornering unpredictable. In Olsen Park woods loop, leaves make things especially sketchy and less likely to dry out. Don't plan on any super-fast loops.

There are a few dry sections where everything is OK, but you have to get through the slippery parts.

Also there is a tree down just east of the creek crossing by the M14 onramp. If I had a gas chainsaw I'd go cut it out.
dew

Postby RockhopperA2 » October 29th, 2006, 7:25 pm

Olson is okay in the higher parts, but the low-lying areas near the swamp are underwater and should be avoided until they dry out, same with a section of trail right before the rock garden/bank turn. Leslie park is mostly dry, except for the section off of Pontiac trl, which has several huge mud puddles with gouges in them. I took care of the tree off of Whitmore Lk. road and a few in Leslie, but I'm sure there are more.
RockhopperA2

Postby bill_m » October 30th, 2006, 9:33 am

Thanks for getting that tree by Whitmore Lake Road. I had been meaning to cut that one out but you know how it goes....
bill_m

Postby bill_m » November 15th, 2006, 9:47 am

I tried a little experiment last night. There is a sandy corner on the Bluff Trial in Olson Park that was getting out of hand. I took my nightrider HID out last night and mixed a bunch of kitty litter into the sand to try and increase the clay content. It was supposed to rain last night which I thought would allow it to set up. Well, it didn't rain. It is supposed to rain tonight so I would appreciate it if anyone who is up at the park today helps me keep the tree limbs that I used to temporarily keep people off that one turn in place.

In the event that someone does ride through the turn before it can get wet it will mess up the smooth berm I created. If anyone would be willing to help me keep an eye on the turn and smooth it back out (if needed) before it rains tonight that would be great.

Thanks.
bill_m

Postby dew » December 10th, 2006, 11:11 am

Found on A2 loop:
1 set of keys with green keychain and 6-7 keys

If you are riding up from Bandemer park, just beyond the M14 underpass, the trail switches back a few times. Right where it enters the woods (a slight downhill) the keys are hanging on a branch over the trail.

1 zefal pump. This is right next the the 1st bridge over the creek, just across Whitmore lake road from Bandemer.
dew

Postby RockhopperA2 » March 10th, 2007, 10:54 am

Everything's pretty swampy and unridable (Olson, Leslie, Black Pond, M-14 underpass) as of yesterday evening, or at least the trailheads were. I didn't even dare to venture inwards, it was pretty sloppy. (3/9) But, it's supposed to be >freezing for the next couple of days, so we will see...
RockhopperA2

Postby adroit rider » March 23rd, 2007, 10:54 pm

I walked Argo Park and it was 100% rideable (even though there is no riding) with some areas leaving a 1/4 inch pizza cut. There was a tire track from a Magna spec tire cut right in the trail...

There was no ice, no standing water and no mud. I would say that by Monday most of the local loop should be firm.
adroit rider

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions