Poto: Olson Park/Ann Arbor Loop

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Olson Park/Ann Arbor Loop

Postby shippenville » April 24th, 2013, 2:26 pm

I use the trails in Stapp to help make a mostly trail connection from up near Olson to Cedar Bend. You can take the trail at Stapp off of Huron Parkway to Leslie Woods to Upland Dr. I too thought that all of the woods were part of Stapp, but I guess not. I love that area of town and it's going to be hard watching it get converted to another housing area.
shippenville

Postby Will_Ott » April 25th, 2013, 1:10 pm

I work on Traverwood, so I ride the trail in Stapp when I ride from the office to Olson Park.

I don't use Stapp when to connect Olson to Cedar Ridge, I prefer Olson -> wierd 2-track -> Leslie Park -> Black Pond Woods -> Leslie Science Center -> Cedar Ridge.
Will_Ott

Postby ChrisInYpsi » May 2nd, 2013, 8:08 pm

Olson is good to go. A few soft spots that if you ride down the middle will be fine.

I need someone to show me the uber top secret AA loop. I have problems getting to the WIM rides on Wed nights due to my crazy work schedule. Are there any other opportunities to be initiated into the full-loop-knower-club?
ChrisInYpsi

Postby georgemra » May 3rd, 2013, 7:26 am

I got out for my first mtbike ride of the year yesterday. Trail was in great shape with just a couple of soft spots. I didn't ride the Bluffs or Olsen so I can't comment on their conditions, but the downhill was in rocking shape.
georgemra

Postby 300hp » May 5th, 2013, 8:34 pm

ChrisInYpsi wrote:Olson is good to go. A few soft spots that if you ride down the middle will be fine.

I need someone to show me the uber top secret AA loop. I have problems getting to the WIM rides on Wed nights due to my crazy work schedule. Are there any other opportunities to be initiated into the full-loop-knower-club?

Man, everyone thinks they know the local loop, then you ride with someone new and learn about a section you never knew existed. I put in 18 last saturday not riding a single "local loop" trail, and 16 yesterday without riding a local loop trail and only one trail that I had ridden the previous weekend, learned new stuff all the way.

This town is rad for bikes.

I have a weird schedule and ride at all different times on different days, so we can probably tee some stuff up.

On a different note, the dirt roads on the n. side of town (warren, van and stuff up that way) is riding AWESOME on the skinny tire bikes. Put in 30 on a dirt road loop, hiked with the dog, and ended out the day with a great downhill session friday.
300hp

Postby Will_Ott » May 7th, 2013, 11:07 am

Are the secret trails east of US23?
Will_Ott

Postby Bcar » May 7th, 2013, 11:46 am

300, when we going to ride in 2013!?! ;) one of these days... also, going to want your help with the official local loop map... got clearance from NAP to run one by them!

will_ott, depends on the secret trails you speak of, I think there are many more than any 1 rider knows about, proven yet again by 300s post above.

to all, its not we're trying to hide/hord/keep any trail(s) to ourselves, its just that some may be questionable in terms of being blessed by the city/UM/county/DNR etc. and we dont want to have them taken away. Most are SE MI "expert" and we've all seen people get hurt on them. all we need is some idiot thinking they know how to ride get hurt on one and sue, and then they're gone for all of us. Thats why we like to, filter (for lack of a better term) who we tell where they're at.
A2 Local Loop TC
The Steeper the better...
If they call it Tourist Season, why can't we shoot them??
Bcar

Postby Bcar » May 15th, 2013, 11:45 am

trail is in rocking shape! however...the face slappers are starting to slap! please take a min or two to pull a few down on each ride. Or, pull a few down while riding!! our trail isnt ridden nearly as much as say ILRA, however it always seems to be 10x better in terms of face slappers thanks to all the local riders, keep up the good work!
A2 Local Loop TC
Bcar

Postby Geff » May 15th, 2013, 11:56 am

Bcar wrote:trail is in rocking shape! however...the face slappers are starting to slap! please take a min or two to pull a few down on each ride. Or, pull a few down while riding!! our trail isnt ridden nearly as much as say ILRA, however it always seems to be 10x better in terms of face slappers thanks to all the local riders, keep up the good work!

Right on! And thanks to you Bcar for coming out last Friday to Clague Middle School's first Pedalpalooza and help show some local PotoMBA stuff and watch the kids having a good time. Also, Many many thanks to U of M Outdoor Adventures for showing up with Mt Bikes too, and hanging around taking it all in. The turn out was big for the first time...about 60-70 kids and maybe up to 125 folks overall. We'll keep it growing and growing in the years to come. Hopefully, you both will continue to show up as well and be here for future cyclists. Kids are the future...
Geff

Postby Bcar » May 22nd, 2013, 10:26 am

Face slappers are out in force! grab a few on each ride everyone and they'll be gone in a week! I got ~20 on my last ride, never even had to stop ;)
A2 Local Loop TC
Bcar

Postby jmf003 » May 25th, 2013, 4:43 pm

Rode the local loop and two laps of Olson Park this morning. Still some face slappers but the trail is in great shape.
jmf003

Postby iceberg422 » May 29th, 2013, 3:37 am

I'm new to the area and have been learning the local loop from posts, articles, etc. I totally understand the intentional lack of documentation / signage on many parts of the AA Loop, but I'm wondering if there's any unwritten rules about trail direction. Just looking to go with the flow, that's all.
iceberg422

Postby Bcar » May 29th, 2013, 3:55 am

Welcome iceberg! No directional trails, everything is pretty much free for all. Some sections ride better one way vs another though. Like Barton park across from HRD is better going clockwise and that's how most ride it.
A2 Local Loop TC
Bcar

Postby Bcar » June 4th, 2013, 11:45 am

Trail is in great shape, face slappers? not so much... Grab a few on your next ride!

Im thinking of a no-drop-trimming-maintenance ride in the near future. pretty much everyone rides with clippers, might take 2.5 hours, but I bet 5-10 guys could do/trim the whole loop in that amount of time.
A2 Local Loop TC
Bcar

Postby Geff » June 4th, 2013, 11:49 am

Bcar wrote:Trail is in great shape, face slappers? not so much... Grab a few on your next ride!

Im thinking of a no-drop-trimming-maintenance ride in the near future. pretty much everyone rides with clippers, might take 2.5 hours, but I bet 5-10 guys could do/trim the whole loop in that amount of time.

I am done with work for the year on the 14th. Then time is on my side for the most part. Hopefully I can make this maintenance ride. Sounds fun, especially since it is something that is very slow, which is my fastest speed.
Geff

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments