Poto: Olson Park/Ann Arbor Loop

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Olson Park/AA Loop

Postby sisu » March 31st, 2006, 12:15 am

This particular forum needs a name change, as per above perhaps.

I gingerly rode the AA loop and Olson Park (not bluffs, not cedar bend though) today. Most of it is in fine shape. I'm pleased at how Olson is getting really buff back in the woods. Needs more riders up on the ridge though. THe small intestine trail I mean. Olson has just one or two soft spots (pizza cutters have been out dang it) but I dismounted and walked around them easily.

As to be expected there were a few muddy spots down by M-14 but the ground was plenty solid to walk around them.

Any rain and I won't ride these trails, too iffy right now.
sisu
Administrator

Postby scat silvurz » March 31st, 2006, 12:34 am

yesssss - the small intestine!!!!
Five fingers, three chords, and one *beep*.....!
scat silvurz

AA loop conditions

Postby sisu » April 1st, 2006, 12:27 pm

Just took a walk on some of the aa loop trails. Messy. We didn't get that much rain yesterday, but conditions are muddy esp in lowlying areas. Hard to even find a spot to walk around the mud pits. I didn't even consider riding. . .
sisu
Administrator

Postby Climber92 » April 19th, 2006, 2:57 pm

hit it on tuesday and rode it twice. Trail is in GREAT condition except for the mountain bluff trail, which has a small patch of mud.
JESUS4LIFE
Climber92

Postby sisu » May 4th, 2006, 6:30 am

I rode through Keubler Langford from HRD up to the bluffs, and usually I hit that cool section of trail that veers off to the right and crosses the stream, but someone has tried to close off the trail with a bunch of sticks and limbs. Could be the girl scouts, but it sure doesn't look like their property when you scope it out on a map.
sisu
Administrator

Postby mcginnis842 » May 24th, 2006, 1:31 pm

Took a ride yesterday (5-23-06) the trail is dry and the greenery is reaching a nice hight. Though the trail seems to be one big rut on the lower trails. It's seems that a combination of water run off and riders on wet ground seem to have caused a dramatic change from end of last season. Also the jump on the upper trails seems to have been taken down.
mcginnis842

Postby sisu » June 2nd, 2006, 3:31 pm

Cedar Bend isn't suffering any erosion damage I'm happy to report. But there are some big trees down before the cliffhanger section, a chainsaw will be needed.

And on the other side of town, Bluffs needs some serious trimming. I'm gonna try to get out there some in the next few weeks with the loppers.

The muddy sections of the AA loop are getting better but still bad. Getting wider and wider. . .
sisu
Administrator

Postby Climber92 » June 8th, 2006, 8:29 am

rode it tuesday, the trail was very overgrown in some sections. needs mower BIG TIME on plateau trail!
JESUS4LIFE
Climber92

Postby bill_m » June 8th, 2006, 12:22 pm

It is indeed time to start mowing. We should be getting started on it this weekend. Please feel free to take a walk with some loppers if you have a free moment. Anything that would whack you in the face can be cut back as far as possible. Pretty much everything in Olson park is invasive, so don't be shy.

Also, don't miss the Ann Arbor Trail Workday on 6/24. 9:30 am. Meet at Bandemere Park just off of Barton Drive.
Potawatomi Chapter President
Join the Poto Chapter e-mail list: MMBA-Poto-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
bill_m

Olson

Postby Elno Lewis » June 26th, 2006, 7:05 am

Not very challenging (no Hills) but a nice little technical practice ride. Rode it June 25--a little overgrown in places.

At Platt Rd. and Ellsworth Rd in A2 is Lillie Park, got some nice, unchallenging trails through there. Close to my home, so I get over there a lot. Beginner MB's will love it.
Palmdale! Come back to me!
I need you and I love you!
Elno Lewis

Overgrown Olson

Postby bikehappy » June 29th, 2006, 2:42 pm

I rode the trail last evening. I enjoyed zipping through the high crown vetch. Yes, the trial is overgrown, but I think it makes it even more fun.
BikeHappy
bikehappy

Postby KatieKate81 » August 17th, 2006, 3:55 pm

I'm hoping to get out and try this trail this weekend, anyone been lately? I'm a beginner, just rode Maybury the other day and loved it! Is this anywhere near what Maybury is?
KatieKate81

Postby gregL » August 17th, 2006, 11:11 pm

I'm hoping to get out and try this trail this weekend, anyone been lately? I'm a beginner, just rode Maybury the other day and loved it! Is this anywhere near what Maybury is?

The trail is currently in great condition. I would say it is a little easier than Maybury... flatter, but similarly tight turns. It's a little shorter too, so you may want to do some sections multiple times. The Murray Lake trail in Brighton is another fun trail that is similar in difficulty to Maybury.
gregL

Trail

Postby tcb » August 22nd, 2006, 8:49 am

I went to the trail last night with some friends, It went by fairy easy, we took quite a few of the different colored routes. It was overgrown in a few parts but nothing too bad. I did run into a thorn bush, other than that it was a good ride.
tcb

Postby sisu » September 15th, 2006, 4:59 pm

2 bridge issues today. The short bridge on the M-14 trail was moved to the side for some reason. Maybe all the runoff just moved it, but it looked like the work of human hands. I didn't move it back in case it was that way for a reason. No disturbances with the longer bridge under the overpass. (and even with all the recent rain, that bridge is nicely above water)

Then the ladder bridge in the Leslie Park trail was gone. I spotted it downstream and hauled it back into place. Dang, if runoff in the creek moved that bridge, the water level sure was high!

Olson park did ok, the southern end of the park where the trail is in the woods is still pretty wet and muddy, not draining very quickly there. But no huge puddles or anything.
sisu
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions