Poto: Olson Park/Ann Arbor Loop

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Postby adroit rider » October 25th, 2005, 11:34 am

i find myself riding my bike like an unleashed dog. Like a scaveging Pit Bull looking for some single track to attack. I know it scares the crap out of other riders and especially hikers but I can't hold back the dog in me...

Put your self in the hiker's shoes and I bet they see Mt Bikers as we see unleashed dogs...
adroit rider

Postby K2Beast » October 25th, 2005, 11:51 am

Adroit Rider wrote:...Put your self in the hiker's shoes and I bet they see Mt Bikers as we see unleashed dogs...

Usually mountain bikers don't bite people... but beware the :twisted: Beast ;)

I will be carrying a dog deterrent from now on... I got bit on the ankle while riding on the sidewalk by a pitbull terrier on the 15th... no more taking chances for me. :evil:
offending dog owner wrote:Oh he's a good dog

If he ain't on a leash and approaches me in a menacing manner he could be a dead dog.
Adam aka K2Beast (FR/DH/XC) .__ :twisted:
GT Zaskar (rigid) - - - - - - - - - \ <
Azonic DS1 (SS/rigid) - - - - (( )) (( ))
Yeti AS-X (DH/Freeride) -------------
Surly 1x1 (SS/rigid)
Diamondback Drifter
K2Beast

Postby Climber92 » October 25th, 2005, 12:00 pm

going out on thur with a group from school, we got waiver forms, and racks for the bikes, most of these people have never ridden before, so we'll see how it goes
JESUS4LIFE
Climber92

Postby Climber92 » October 26th, 2005, 7:53 am

Hit Olson last night, and lo and behold....there was an unleased dog. Some people will never learn, it was white, and I can't guess what it was. After the woods trail and the perimeter trail join up, there was some brush on the trail(which I moved), and a branch that had broke and was hanging over the trail, a.k.a....headbanger for a tall rider. It hadn't fallen yet, but it will soon, judging by how much it was still attached to the tree, adn the weather we're supposed to be having. Also, the obstacle on the Plateau trail has a slightly dislodged rock,and may completely fall out of place soon.

all in all it was a great, yet utterly COLD ride

ADAM :twisted:
JESUS4LIFE
Climber92

Postby adroit rider » October 26th, 2005, 8:01 am

I was out there last night and everything went swell except for one guy cracked his Rocky Mt, another got a flat, another snapped his front mech cable, and another had really bad brake drag.

Definately cold!
adroit rider

Postby Climber92 » October 26th, 2005, 12:19 pm

about what time were you out there, I didnt see any other riders
JESUS4LIFE
Climber92

Postby Climber92 » October 27th, 2005, 6:36 pm

hit it agan on thursday. right by where one of the obstacles was, across the wooden bridge, there was another headbanger, which I(being short)didn't notice. In the plateau trail there were some leg smackers, but great all in all.
JESUS4LIFE
Climber92

Postby bhollen666 » October 27th, 2005, 7:11 pm

I rode it with a few friends Wed night, and on one of the climbs in the woods section we climbed straight into a runner coming down the trail at us. The wrong way on the bike path. He moved into the grass along the trail and said "Go ahead!" to let us try and continue to climb past him. If it was on a turn, we might have rode straight into him. Come to think of it, I think he was wearing an iPod or similar radio, so he wouldn't of even heard us coming. :evil:
bhollen666

Postby sisu » October 28th, 2005, 2:35 pm

Yesterday I rode from Brandemere to Olson and when I emerged from the underpass (new graffiti there, still unintelligible) I looked to my left and wondered why there isn't a piece of trail heading north along the east side of M14 which would eventually dump you out on Dhu Varren west of Pontiac Trail. From there you could do a loop or two in Olson, then head south and hit the trails in Leslie park and work your way back to Bandemere.

Bill M, have you ever looked into who owns that stretch of land?
sisu
Administrator

Postby bill_m » October 28th, 2005, 2:56 pm

MDOT owns the easment for M-14 that backs up to the parcels of private property. It would require MDOT to allow us onto a portion of the buffer between the highway and people's backyards. I don't think they would be crazy about that idea. Then there is the issue of the multiple bridges. You can't really go underneath them easily with a bike, so you would have to cross the road and again go onto private property.

I guess the route would need to be walked and evaluated. It is an interesting idea, but I don't know how doable it is. We got really lucky with MDOT at Olson Park along M-14 due to there being such a large uphill slope to act as a buffer. You can see how much they gave us between the old and the new fences on the North border of the park. It would be a cool route though.
Potawatomi Chapter President
Join the Poto Chapter e-mail list: MMBA-Poto-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
bill_m

Postby sisu » October 30th, 2005, 3:35 pm

yeah, and the people who own houses that back up to M14 might not be crazy about it, either.

In any event, the out and back on the current trail system is tons of fun, the trail has nice flow in both directions. . .
sisu
Administrator

Postby sisu » November 10th, 2005, 4:02 pm

rode most of the bluffs yesterday, there's a big tree down in the northernmost valley. In Kuebler Langford there's a tree down on the "secret" trail section.
sisu
Administrator

how's it lookin

Postby a m a n d a » November 28th, 2005, 2:49 pm

i was hoping to ride some tomorrow, tuesday-wondering if the trail may be too wet for a ride-any one know?? :roll:
a m a n d a

Olson Park direction

Postby dew » December 4th, 2005, 7:10 pm

Lately, I've been riding Olson a lot at night, and for the sake of variety several friends and I have ridden the Woods loop backward (I figure it is OK after dark because of the light warning, and people are slower, etc.). Everyone who rides with me (maybe 7-8 people) seems to agree it flows better in this direction, and it is reminiscent of the trail before it was upgraded a few years ago.

Bill M, is there ever any thought about reversing the direction of the woods loop?
dew

Postby bill_m » January 18th, 2006, 4:24 pm

I have to admit that I sometimes ride the trail both ways too. That is one of the perks of the trail still being new. More people are discovering it everyday however, so we should really stick to the official direction during daylight hours. It is cool backwards, but personally I prefer it forwards. I will ask the question at next meeting though.

Thanks for the input.
Potawatomi Chapter President
Join the Poto Chapter e-mail list: MMBA-Poto-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
bill_m

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions