Poto: Olson Park/Ann Arbor Loop

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Postby jar862 » September 17th, 2005, 9:10 am

Maybe theres something new in the running world we don't know about. A new disipline if you will. I'm a former runner at all distances and disciplines (that i knew about) including marathons. Maybe we'll see Wacky Running Wednesdays out at Ray's this year. Proper foot atire required but wheels are strictly forbidden.
jar862

Postby adroit rider » September 17th, 2005, 10:59 am

jar862 wrote:Maybe theres something new in the running world we don't know about. A new disipline if you will. I'm a former runner at all distances and disciplines (that i knew about) including marathons. Maybe we'll see Wacky Running Wednesdays out at Ray's this year. Proper foot atire required but wheels are strictly forbidden.

The steeple chase? That is the coolest running event. Cross Country running started back in the day when mankind was still dragging their knuckles. Don't forget the lumber jacks who herd logs down the river by running on the actual logs they are trying to coral.

Extreme running...I just got goose bumps.
:D
adroit rider

Postby bill_m » September 17th, 2005, 5:29 pm

The stunts are now removed and safely in storage. Hopefully to return another day.

What a bummer of a workday.
Potawatomi Chapter President
Join the Poto Chapter e-mail list: MMBA-Poto-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
bill_m

Postby scat silvurz » September 19th, 2005, 11:10 am

that sucks bill! I guess the moment a human loses contact with mother earth, they want to sue, due to their victimization by gravity.

Maybe if the runner was wearing proper safety attire, such as a trail running helmet, leg and arm pad/protectors, nothing like that would happen......
Five fingers, three chords, and one *beep*.....!
scat silvurz

Postby bigmatt » October 3rd, 2005, 8:27 pm

There is a tree down in the woods loop @ Olsen. It is half way between when you enter the woods and the diving board bridge. A saw of some sort will be needed.
bigmatt

Postby bill_m » October 4th, 2005, 9:36 am

Thanks for the heads up. I will be up there Thursday 10/6 and will take care of it.
bill_m

Postby Climber92 » October 5th, 2005, 5:46 pm

dead fall in the woods loop, lifted my bike over it, lots of men or saws will be needed
Climber92

Postby bill_m » October 6th, 2005, 8:23 pm

The tree is gone.

We also cut in the rest of the perimeter trail that runs along DhuVarren from the main entrance down to The Food Gatherers complex, crosses the blacktop path and continues along the eastern border of the park. So there is now trail running along DhuVarren Road for the entire length of the park. I will have signs up next week when my laminating sheets arrive.

Time to figure out your "new" favorite way to ride the park!
bill_m

Postby Climber92 » October 19th, 2005, 3:44 pm

i saw that those obstacles were gone. :( i was planning to go on them to embarrass my dad, and they were gone. drat, runners should stay on paved paths where running is supposed to be done. also, u should have to understand, that mount biking, adn or mountain bike trail running(whoever thought that up)is coherently dangerous. i didnt sue anyone when i cracked my nose open at lakeshore, geez. and those obstacles are hard to get hurt on, unless you are being stupid.

Rode the trail again with my bros and Dad. this has become my favorite trail, and i hope for it to continue growing.

i htink that there is property that we havent taken full advantage of yet, nad i would be pleased to see a mile or two more of trail. If you need work done i can get 4-5 people out there.
Climber92

Postby Climber92 » October 20th, 2005, 5:06 pm

also, me, my dad, and a group from school are going out on Thur. 29. The schol is supporting this, so we got the release forms, and the IMBA rules of the trail, along with a map. i hope we have a good time, and get a decent # of people to come.
Climber92

Postby gregL » October 21st, 2005, 7:19 pm

did a quick night ride of the trail today and it was in good condition. The only scary part was when I was accosted by an unleashed dog as I exited the forest loop. Fortunately lifting up my front tire like I was going to drop it on him and yelling scared him off. probably the owners didn't expect anyone else to be out there since there were no other cars in the lot, but still...

I also wanted to say thanks to the people who put together this trail. It's nice to have a fun trail near enough to ride to. I'd be willing to help out at future trail days, but I don't own tools of my own
gregL

Postby scat silvurz » October 21st, 2005, 9:23 pm

was it a german shephard? I've seen a guy running his gs off leash there before....
Five fingers, three chords, and one *beep*.....!
scat silvurz

Postby gregL » October 23rd, 2005, 3:08 pm

I'm not 100% sure, but I think a labrador. definitely not german shephard
gregL

Postby Climber92 » October 24th, 2005, 7:47 am

who ever it is NEEDS to keep the dog on a leash. i ride there at least once a week, and hope to not encounter that dog
JESUS4LIFE
Climber92

Postby sisu » October 25th, 2005, 11:24 am

I was riding the Bluffs on Saturday and some guy had a large hound out there w/o a leash (he also was using a circa 1970 walkie talkie. Weird). I almost ran the dog over and the guy was like "whoa, watch the dog". "then git him on a leash" I snarled. Not the way to spread the love for Mt Bikers, but when I encounter hikers with dogs (on leashes) who pull them out of the way to let me pass, I ride by slowly and thank them profusely.
sisu
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions