Poto: Olson Park/Ann Arbor Loop

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Olson Park/Ann Arbor Loop

Postby ryanmcg » March 14th, 2013, 9:46 am

Geff wrote:
Bcar wrote:TRAIL CLOSED, IMO... Its far too muddy to ride bikes... Unless you get out really early before it thaws.

if you're leaving pie cutters, please stop and turn around...

looks like the UM rec org is going to be helping us out! woot woot! more people and more riders! They also have rental bikes we'll post info on, would be nice for people coming in from out of town.

we're also talking about putting together a local loop map, with most of the loop on it ;)

Great news about getting them on board with us to help maintain and get more people out riding the Loop. Plus, via a local non profit group called Common Cycle, there are repair stands on campus, as well as have the mobile repair stand on Sundays at the Artisan/Farmer's market. All this gets more out riding and on the trail which in turn gets us good exposure, etc.

And maybe that will lead to some new areas opened up for more trails in the future! :D
ryanmcg

Postby Bcar » March 14th, 2013, 10:09 am

ryanmcg wrote:And maybe that will lead to some new areas opened up for more trails in the future! :D

or at least official access ;)
A2 Local Loop TC
The Steeper the better...
If they call it Tourist Season, why can't we shoot them??
Bcar

Postby Bcar » March 18th, 2013, 7:12 am

Trail is in decent shape IF YOU RIDE EARLY WHEN FROZEN, either we didn't get much blow/snow down or someone cleared lot. We did see some pie cutters, and it got too warm for us to ride Olson. Overall Olson warms the most/is very muddy now, ID avoid. Didn't ride DH/ridge.
A2 Local Loop TC
Bcar

Postby glr » March 18th, 2013, 8:04 am

B,
Where is DH/ridge?
Grass Lake S+T Park - TC
<><
glr

Postby Bcar » March 18th, 2013, 9:08 am

glr wrote:B,
Where is DH/ridge?

First rule of the DH/ridge is that there is NO DH/ridge ;) you'll have to be shown by someone who knows, and hopefully they'll evaluate your riding ability before taking you. No offense intended, but its not on any maps and it's the hardest trail in SE MI, lots of people get hurt on it...
A2 Local Loop TC
Bcar

Postby glr » March 18th, 2013, 9:33 am

None taken, for all you know I ride a sweet walmart road master special, well i'll have you know I got a sweet full suspension huffy! j.k. (currently laughing, hard!)
Grass Lake S+T Park - TC
<><
glr

Postby Bcar » March 27th, 2013, 10:10 am

dont forget, IMBA-poto chapter meeting tonight at ABC.
A2 Local Loop TC
Bcar

Postby surly » March 28th, 2013, 1:19 pm

Bcar wrote:
Where is DH/ridge?

First rule of the DH/ridge is that there is NO DH/ridge ;) you'll have to be shown by someone who knows, and hopefully they'll evaluate your riding ability before taking you. No offense intended, but its not on any maps and it's the hardest trail in SE MI, lots of people get hurt on it...

That's the kinda attitude we need. :roll:
surly

Postby Bcar » March 28th, 2013, 1:23 pm

surly wrote:
Bcar wrote:
Where is DH/ridge?

And why do you say that? Do you know the history and other "issues" associated with the area in question?
A2 Local Loop TC
Bcar

Postby irishpitbull » March 28th, 2013, 1:37 pm

surly wrote:
Bcar wrote:
Where is DH/ridge?

It is the attitude we need. This is the last great place to ride without being regulated or dumbed down like 99% of the trails in the area. I won't even bring my GPS when I ride it.
2014 S-Works Epic
2013 CruX Expert Carbon Disc
2014 Surly Pugsley
irishpitbull

Postby 300hp » March 31st, 2013, 9:37 pm

Conditions update:

We're very fortunate to have hills in Ann Arbor. I rode a mixed 30 miles yesterday.....everything from dirt roads (warren is hardpack, wicked fast, and not sloppy at all) to pavement, b2b, and sections of non local loop trail. There is no mud on my bike. The worst thing going was all the salt on the b2b. Avoid with your fancy MTB. Normal surface streets are clear though. If you have the sense to ride trails that have direct drainage and loose, open substrate, you can certainly add a splash of wild to your dirt road rides. If it's flat, or clay, stay off. If you can't tell the difference, stay off all together.

I've got to agree with Bcar and IPB on this. Keep Ann Arbor wild. Every year I live and ride here, I find out about more stuff. What started out as a three mile loop behind my apartment has turned into a 9 mile loop....without having to cross a road. I hope to have at least 20 miles of trail strung together by the time riding season is in full swing.....not including the "local loop"

We are fortunate to have lots and lots of unregulated park land, and a community committed to preserving its green spaces. We are fortunate to have trail workers who keep stuff going for the sheer love of the sport, not to ask for outpourings of gratitude. Trail workers who go well out of their way to keep a low profile.

I love riding by myself and exploring, and I love riding with people. I know bcar does too. Chances are if you ask, like I did, someone will show you around.

But you can't blame people for being coy. I'm working hard to make a career for myself in Washtenaw county, because I can't think of any other places in Michigan below the 45th paralel with this many different kinds of riding accessible without getting into a car.
300hp

Postby Leroi Brown » April 1st, 2013, 10:16 am

Totally agree with 300 and Bcar on this!!
"Falling down the mountain
End up kissing dirt
Look a little closer
Sometimes it wouldn't hurt" - INXS - Kiss The Dirt

Cross Country Cycle Racing
www.crosscountrycycle.com
Leroi Brown

Postby Bcar » April 3rd, 2013, 10:17 am

The trail is still not 100% yet, but getting close! Im guessing another week until it is all ready to ride.

IF you decide to ride, please, please get off your bike and walk the muddy sections, its not a big deal to walk 20'. There are for sure still a few muddy spots out there. We need to be on our best behavior in the next few weeks with our wanting to cut a little more trail.
A2 Local Loop TC
Bcar

Postby Bcar » April 5th, 2013, 10:47 am

Potential trouble brewing in the Democratic Peoples' Republic of Ann Arbor. I'll be following this one, with the main theme that we can't fix stupid... The path in question is only a connector between trails, however what scares me is the mention of the crooks (cough cough, lawyers) wanting the city to change their policy on bike in parks...

http://annarbor.com/news/woman-hit-by-b ... ity-parks/

edit: so play nice! get a bell and use it! call out passing!

p.s. watch out for a pitbull/bulldog mix? gray/white-ish, we were charged two days ago just west of the underpass at M14/23, the dog ended up biting my bike and my buddies...not happy...
Last edited by Bcar on April 5th, 2013, 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
A2 Local Loop TC
Bcar

Postby Geff » April 5th, 2013, 11:29 am

Bcar wrote:Potential trouble brewing in the Democratic Peoples' Republic of Ann Arbor. I'll be following this one, with the main theme that we can't fix stupid... The path in question is only a connector between trails, however what scares me is the mention of the crooks (cough cough, lawyers) wanting the city to change their policy on bike in parks...

http://annarbor.com/news/woman-hit-by-b ... ity-parks/

Yeah...I couldn't shake my head off this one. And I am one who was around BEFORE that path was paved and made into a trail/pathway/park.
Geff

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments