Poto: Olson Park/Ann Arbor Loop

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Poto: Olson Park/Ann Arbor Loop

Postby Todd Scott » March 22nd, 2004, 8:33 am

Post trail conditions and problem reports for the trails at Olson Park (a.k.a. Ann Arbor City Loop)
Todd Scott

NEAP Update

Postby bill_m » March 22nd, 2004, 12:48 pm

Sunday was my first post-winter trail system evaluation. First of all I would like to say thank you to anyone who resisted the temptaion to ride during thaw periods (so far). The pizza cutters were few, I hope this means our signs worked! Because of the heavy rains on Saturday coupled with the thaw conditions I was able to see the new sections of trail at their worst and wettest. It turns out we have some problems to address:

Plateau Trail.

Several sections of new trail in the center of the plateau are currently under water. What looked like the most interesting path to lay out the trail is not going to work in super wet conditions. Therefore, you will see alternate (dry) routes flagged with orange tape that will be installed in the next couple of weeks.

Woods Loop:

Because of the drastic changes in drainage from the new soccer fields, serveral existing sections of singletrack are currently running streams. The reality is that we are not going to be able to continue using these sections (down the slope from where the old teeter totter was). We flagged a new dry route through a wooded section that should be very cool, but changing that section has to be done. Sorry.

There are multiple other spots that need work/modification. The park is not rideable yet due to the thaw conditions as well as sections being under water. I will post the first workday in the next couple of weeks and give the word when it is ready to ride. If you want to be added to the workday e-mail list shoot me a message billmayer@comcast.net

Thanks.
Potawatomi Chapter President
Join the Poto Chapter e-mail list: MMBA-Poto-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
bill_m

Postby DEADMANriding » March 27th, 2004, 1:36 am

Honestly, NEA is probably the perfect place to ride in the nasty conditions since it has to be tilled anyways to get through the top over growth. That is how the rest got so packed in and bermed the last 6 or so years was hitting the virgin trail out there instead of our established trails like Poto. I know many probably want to smack me for saying that but it's true, to put in a brand new trail it's almost better to go out there and cut in and churn it over a couple of times. If we did not have so much "new" trail like last thaw, I would not be saying this.

DEADMAN 8=
DEADMAN 8=

Riding as much as I can, for as long as I can!

KONA mountain bikes I will be using this season.

Kula 2-9 SS, Explosif 2-9 SS, Paddy Wagon
DEADMANriding

First Workday of 2004

Postby bill_m » March 29th, 2004, 11:01 am

I agree with Kevin that certain sections would benefit from being ridden in during the wet conditions, but there are enough areas that are so bad that I have to officially list the park as closed. We will be having the first workday this coming Saturday (4/3) at 1 PM. The parking situation is difficult as the parking lot gates are locked. We will meet in the paved lot, but you will have to park along the road. Please bring shovels, clippers, loppers, and wheel barrows. We will be re-routing several sections of trail, cutting some new trail, and installing a bridge over a creek. Depending on how much we can get done this weekend will determine if we can open the park.
bill_m

Postby DEADMANriding » March 30th, 2004, 2:39 am

Damnit, I have to work that day!! Plus I am trying to get that day off to go to Ohio for the Spokejunkies first ride at Mohican.

Is there any finishing work I can do durring the week since I usually get a day off then. Like this week I get today/ Tuesday off.
DEADMAN 8=

Riding as much as I can, for as long as I can!

KONA mountain bikes I will be using this season.

Kula 2-9 SS, Explosif 2-9 SS, Paddy Wagon
DEADMANriding

Postby bill_m » March 30th, 2004, 8:54 am

Don't sweat it Kevin, we know you will help if you can. One thing that needs to be done is some general repair work on the A-frame stunt that goes over the creek near the big bridge. A few of the boards are loose or need some fresh nails. That is a one person job. What we will be doing this weekend needs more manpower. You have a really good understanding of the park, so if you see any other things you want to tackle go for it.
bill_m

Thank you!

Postby bill_m » April 3rd, 2004, 7:58 pm

What a great work day today!! Thank you to all of the people that came out to help. We got more done than I could have hoped as the Plateau trail has been transformed from "problematic" to "ready to ride" in one day's work! We still have more work to do before we can officially open the park, but we got one of the hard parts done today.

The next work day will be Saturday 4/17. We will be working on the Southeast side of the park this time. We will cut some new trail and install a bridge over a creek. We will also work on the ever problematic bermed turn that is currently full of water.

Thank you again to everyone who made it out!! I hope to see everyone else on the 17th.

Bill Mayer
bill_m

Postby dew » April 3rd, 2004, 8:11 pm

Bill,
Thanks for setting up the workday today. I enjoyed it. I just got back from riding the park - the new plateau sections came out pretty good, I think. However somehow I got turned around; it wasn't that clear. The signage/flags probably need another look to clear things up.

I am very impressed at how the woods loop has improved since the last time I rode it, which was Jan. Good job there. I am looking forward to riding this a lot this summer!
dew

Postby bill_m » April 3rd, 2004, 8:23 pm

Yeah, Norm and I talked about some new signs that need to go up as well as redoing some of the ones that didn't survive the winter very well. Make sure to check out the map of the park in the Trail Guide section of this web site. We are having an Eagle Scout do the permanant signage as one of his merit projects, so the trail should be very easy to follow once that project is done.

Also, thanks to Emil for his rail-road tie wheelie drop stunt. I can't wait to try that out.

Thanks again for your help!

Bill
bill_m

Workday this Saturday 4/17

Postby bill_m » April 14th, 2004, 6:47 pm

This Saturday at 1:00 PM we will have our second trail workday at the MTB Park
in Ann Arbor, North East Area (soon to be called Olson) Park. We will be
cutting some new trail and working on some trouble spots on the east side of the
park. Meet in the paved parking lot off of DuVarren road. The gate is still
closed, so you will have to either park on the street or in the Food Gathers'
parking lot. Please bring lopers, shovels, work gloves, and water.

See you on Saturday!
--
Bill Mayer
bill_m

Postby bill_m » May 14th, 2004, 9:50 am

A little bit of Press in yesterday's AA News:

http://www.mlive.com/search/index.ssf?/ ... aanews?NEA
bill_m

Good condition

Postby AATrek » June 16th, 2004, 1:33 pm

Went twice on the outer loop yesterday, some wet spots. Low branches from bushes in some areas, nothing hard to bite you, just annoying.
Today's rain may make some of those spots worse, but this trail still needs more riders to make a more defined singletrack. So try to get out there and try it out. I took some new people with me, its a good track to introduce people to the experience. Nothing technical to deal with, but it got them sweating and sore :) .
AATrek

Postby bill_m » June 19th, 2004, 1:25 pm

We had a great "Trash Out" day today. We filled a huge dumpster halfway with everything from sheet metal to old tires. Thank you to everyone that came out to help. We were also able to do some more trimming on the east side of the park, we hope to have all of the overgrowth trimmed in the next week or two.

I also wanted to remind everyone that the park is still officially CLOSED to the general public. It is un-officially open to mountain bikers because the trails are out of the way from where the contractors are working. No one is allowed to park in the paved lot, so it is up to you to either get there under your own power or find an alternate place to park. Please do not call the city and tell them that I have the park listed on the MMBA website as OPEN , so they are remiss and need to unlock the gates. The OPEN listing on this web site only refers to the status of the trail surface (i.e. muddy vs. dry), not the City of Ann Arbor's status to the general public.

Thank you and enjoy the park in its current "un-officially open to bikers only" state.
bill_m

Good Condition

Postby AATrek » June 23rd, 2004, 7:25 am

Went around yesterday, trail in great condition. Ran into about 4 people going the wrong way (well the 2 people in front of me did). Needless to say one woman was laying over still clipped in (no missing limbs :twisted: ). Trail has much improved since most of the branches were cut out, some tall grass on the outer perimeter is only stuff standing. There are lots of small stumps, so watch the tires, a friend blew out her front one. I almost got clipped by someone flying out of some less used side trail (one of the 4 from before), I don't know what arrows they are following.
AATrek

northeast trail

Postby cychow » July 20th, 2004, 8:58 am

does anyone know how the arrows work on the trails. I looked at the map and it seems like some of the trails have arrows going both directions>... :?:
cychow

Next

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments