MCMBA: Commerce - Hickory Glen

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: MCMBA: Commerce - Hickory Glen

Postby Spinwheel » January 10th, 2015, 2:48 pm

b_b wrote:Ok for skinnies?

Give it a shot...run your tire pressure very low, so low that you almost bottom out on the rim if you bounce on the bike. Snowmobiles are starting to run thru the area too - on the snow covered paved paths and Walled Lake School System property west of the cell tower - after a few passes by the snow machines those trails become excellent riding as well. Expect to go slow and work hard at it and you may like it!
Tim
TC, Hickory Glen Park - Commerce Twp.
Spinwheel

Postby Spinwheel » January 10th, 2015, 7:02 pm

Out there just now and snowmobile tracks are well packed, lots of traffic. Single track had fresh fat tracks and I added some. Unfortunately some *beep* on a 4 wheeler is mucking up sects 6 and 10, and possibility others I didn't cover them all. I threw a few logs on the trail in a meager effort to discourage ..
Tim
Spinwheel

Postby Spinwheel » January 12th, 2015, 11:03 am

Anyone go out there Sunday? Wondered if there was any more 4x4 activity ripping up the groomed single track?
Tim
Spinwheel

Postby Spinwheel » January 14th, 2015, 11:40 am

Tuesday about half the single track loop had 1 or 2 fresh sets of fat tracks and rode very slow. Paved path snowmobile tracks we quite a bit easier to ride and might be ready to support skinny tires.
Tim
Spinwheel

Postby jreyst » January 16th, 2015, 11:36 am

I'm riding today SOMEWHERE, but need to know what in SE MI (from say Island Lake in the west to Addison in the north range) is most do-able for a skinny... I did Island Lake last weekend but the trail was very well packed and frozen so the skinny rode very well. With the warmer temps today I'm wondering what trail is my best bet.
--
John Reyst
Primary: 2007 Giant Trance (1x10)
Backup: 2013 Fezzari Wiki Peak
First Bike: 2004 Gary Fisher Cake
jreyst

Postby Spinwheel » January 16th, 2015, 12:15 pm

Snowmobile tracks might work for skinny. HG single track is not groomed enough for skinny tires. Not even close, was there last night.
Tim
Spinwheel

Postby steveracer » January 17th, 2015, 3:28 pm

Tried the skinny this morning before temps rose above 32. Let psi down to maybe 18 - 20 and then it rode kinda ok. But it was tough sledding for a 29er. It was a *beep* of a 30 minute workout (that was good in itself) Now with the temps above 40 don't ride the trail perhaps maybe kinda unless you have a real fattie or double wide.

I only rode a few feet of the trail then bailed to ride the pavement, but that bit the bag for a skinny. The trail itself will be nice once it gets cold again, as it is about one foot wide where the traffic has tamped it down.

My accu-trail prediction (isn't that an oxy moron?) is the snow level will go down this weekend, perhaps an inch from where it is now at about 5 inches, and then cool off a bit to make the trial great for riding whether fattie or possibly studs. Hopefully it will ice over and the studs will make it a nice ride next week with lights and all kinds of fancy winter riding gear.
Hope is not a good strategy.
steveracer

Postby jbone » January 19th, 2015, 12:59 pm

Very rideable today on a fat bike. Lots of frozen footprints. Some ice but nothing treacherous, no studs required.
jbone

Postby Spinwheel » January 21st, 2015, 9:58 pm

Easy to ride on fat tires tonight, if I had skinny tires I'd probably opt for studs, but don't think they're required
Tim
Spinwheel

Postby Spinwheel » January 24th, 2015, 1:28 pm

If you happen to see fresh 4 wheeler tracks on the single track areas, and you have time, please shoot me photos so I can build a case with the township. Just let me know the date and which section they're on if possible. Currently, they're ripping up most of the sections north of the cell tower. In the image below, the center tracks are fatbike tracks on the singletrack.
Tim
Spinwheel

Postby Shaft » Yesterday, 8:53 pm

Rode the 29er today. Trail is in great shape.
Shaft

Postby steveracer » Yesterday, 10:05 pm

And same for the 26er Sunday. Perfect for winter riding enjoyment.

Cold temps will keep this ready to ride all week.
Hope is not a good strategy.
steveracer

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments