For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: MCMBA: Commerce - Hickory Glen

Postby galaxydean » July 8th, 2014, 5:54 pm

Got the tree in section 9.
dean
galaxydean

Postby galaxydean » July 9th, 2014, 7:58 pm

Tried to take a few laps tonight. Partway into the trail I decided it was too slick. But did go on to check some other parts of the trail. 15 feet of a dead 16"tree is laying partway into the trail in section 16. It is parallel with the trail on the right hand side but needs to be moved about 1 foot farther to be out the trail. This one is about 1/3 of the way through Disney. Then about 2/3s of the way through Disney there is a group of 3-4 small trees across the trail. I was able to sneak under them. Generally a lot more dead fall is still coming out of the trees all along the trail. I will not have time to get these until next week.
dean
galaxydean

Postby Spinwheel » July 9th, 2014, 10:27 pm

I did the same thing Tuesday.. Went out to ride single track and opted for a dirt(Y) road ride instead.. Thx for the Disney report, I skipped it last weekend.. 8)
Tim
TC, Hickory Glen Park - Commerce Twp.
Spinwheel

Postby mclouthken » July 10th, 2014, 5:24 pm

galaxydean wrote:Tried to take a few laps tonight. Partway into the trail I decided it was too slick. But did go on to check some other parts of the trail. 15 feet of a dead 16"tree is laying partway into the trail in section 16. It is parallel with the trail on the right hand side but needs to be moved about 1 foot farther to be out the trail. This one is about 1/3 of the way through Disney. Then about 2/3s of the way through Disney there is a group of 3-4 small trees across the trail. I was able to sneak under them. Generally a lot more dead fall is still coming out of the trees all along the trail. I will not have time to get these until next week.

The first tree mentioned above(large dead one parallel) in section 16 is cleared just off the edge of the trail. I lopped away a good portion of the second set of trees/branches in 16, but I didn't have my chain saw with me to finish it off. You still CAN NOT ride through this section as it is today, but you can walk under it.

There's also a large tree that fell over just before the two large sand hills at mile 3.5. The ball of the tree came out of the ground and left a 6ft crater right in the middle of the trail, so a reroute will be required.
Ken

2013 Specialized EPIC Comp 29
2013 Trek Rig SS
2004 Gary Fisher Cake 3 - RIP
"If you never fall, you're just not trying"
mclouthken

Postby Spinwheel » July 13th, 2014, 10:32 am

Disney is clear!
Don't fall in that new 6ft crater when you ride around it!
Tim
TC, Hickory Glen Park - Commerce Twp.
Spinwheel

Postby mclouthken » July 13th, 2014, 9:46 pm

Spinwheel wrote:Disney is clear!
Don't fall in that new 6ft crater when you ride around it!

Maybe a new bowl down the road :wink:
Ken

2013 Trek Rig SS
mclouthken

Postby onorio56 » July 16th, 2014, 8:45 pm

looking to ride tomorrow night-thursday
is the trail in decent enough condition to ride
coming in from canada so do not want to waste a trip
onorio56

Postby steveracer » July 16th, 2014, 8:53 pm

Yes. Enjoy a few laps!

#lb
Hope is not a good strategy.
steveracer

Postby mclouthken » July 18th, 2014, 10:14 pm

I was at the Hick on Thursday doing a slow clean-up loop. The trail was 99% dry and fast, except for a few moist isolated spots in the normal low lying areas. It was warm and dry today, so its probably completely dry by now. Faceslappers were pretty much gone, but my knees took some lashings. I took out as many thorny ones as I could, but there are more waiting in the shadows. The bridge bypass(dip to the left) just before the two sand hills at mile 3.5 is now clear.

The cinder blocks on the short steep hill at the end of section 18 are getting really exposed. The first switchback along Oakley Park is also continuing to erode and exposing more roots for the uphill. It looks like some riders have started their own reroutes to the left of both these areas.
Ken

2013 Trek Rig SS
mclouthken

Postby galaxydean » July 21st, 2014, 7:31 pm

a couple of fun laps after work tonight. Trail is dry and fast. Pretty clear of obstruction, slappers and storm damage. the climb at Oakley Park road is ready for some love. Tim let me know when you need some help with any of your plans out there.
dean
galaxydean

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments