MCMBA: Hickory Glen (Commerce)

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Metro South: Commerce

Postby vaulttec » September 26th, 2010, 11:02 am

Ibis, you're hilarious. Three inches has got your spandex in such a wad. This is a trail maintenance thread, not a way for you to pick any unintended trail attribute (skids, BMXer sabotage, downed branches) and blame it for your slip-ups on a lap. Don't be sad because that little branch might as well be a tree trunk or that skid might as well be a 1/2-mile deep chasm with those 26" wheels of yours.
vaulttec

Postby daffunda » September 26th, 2010, 12:04 pm

Glad I didn't ride there today, it would suck if I rode all the way there and had to deal with several trees down.

Anyways, this "my balls are bigger than yours" talk is always interesting.
~www.trails-edge.com~

DISCLAIMER: The posts I make or have made in the past are strictly MY OPINION, AKA my two cents, and NOT in ANY WAY opinions of the MMBA or its associates. It is recommended to take it for what it is worth, which is two cents.
daffunda

Postby hopsbag » September 26th, 2010, 6:08 pm

There's only the one tree down by the switchbacks at Oakley Park Rd. Just a little push up the hill and back on the trail, really not even a hundred yards lost. It didn't detract at all from my fun today: demo ride on a rigid s/s 29'er. Best ride ever at the Hick :D
hopsbag

Postby ibisman » September 27th, 2010, 7:59 am

I'm going to try to get that tree today if I can "borrow" my father-in-laws chainsaw, mine broke a tooth off the clutch basket.:(
Martyrs or marines
who do you think gets,,
the virgins?
USMC 1968-1972
32,845.5 total trail miles since 2002
TRAIL Miles for 2014--1809.9-. 2015 fatbike trail miles--:1416
2016 miles..... 228 1/2 :)

Co-trail coordinator Lakeview drive /Hines drive trails
ibisman

Re: Metro South: Commerce 9/27/10

Postby ibisman » September 27th, 2010, 4:30 pm

Well, I tried. I took my father-in-laws chainsaw out to the downed tree and i could'nt get it started. I tried everything. I took it back to him and we pulled the sparkplug and the gap was closed. Maybe later this week I will try again.
Martyrs or marines
who do you think gets,,
the virgins?
USMC 1968-1972

ibisman

Re: Metro South: Commerce 9/30/10

Postby ibisman » October 1st, 2010, 8:31 am

Trail was fast and clear except for the huge downed tree at 3.85. I will try again to cut it out as some as I get my chainsaw out of the reair shop.
Martyrs or marines
who do you think gets,,
the virgins?
USMC 1968-1972

ibisman

Postby nhjeffs » October 1st, 2010, 6:26 pm

Rode the Hick for the first time in quite a while today. The trail is in great shape other than the big tree that's already been posted about.

I noticed a couple of things today.

These pics are of the climb leading up the the Red House area. Seriously? Someone couldn't figure out how to get through the roots cleanly so they cut them out? What a low life piece of *beep*. Thank you, you useless *beep*!

This is the area coming out of spin city and going into the free ride stunt area. Someone couldn't figure out how to ride over the roots on the little climb before the ride hand turn around the tree so they cut it out. Nice going, douche bag ! If you can't figure out how to ride on a MTB trail, stick to the paved path.
Jeff

nhjeffs

Postby froggyrider » October 1st, 2010, 10:04 pm

This means Commerce, ILRA and NOVI have had roots cut out. WTF is going on, people? We have signs about NO root cutting to post- let's post those at all the trails affected. Help- any ideas on how we can stop this root stealing bandit? It causes erosion and removes natural water bars, not to mention removing trail features.
froggyrider

Location: I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy. Dorothy Parker

Postby ibisman » October 2nd, 2010, 10:31 am

Monday or Tuesday looks like when I can get to the downed tree. I don't know who did it but I'm confused....what does anyone care about some roots on top of a hill? It does not effect erosion soWTF? The other one I can see, but come on.And who decides what to cut? I have cut at least 6 trees downed over the summer was I doing wrong? :roll:
Martyrs or marines
who do you think gets,,
the virgins?
USMC 1968-1972

ibisman

Postby ibisman » October 2nd, 2010, 3:25 pm

And...judging by the antique you are riding I don't see why you would comlpain about making the trail a little smoother. Talk about stickin to the sidewalks, ouch!
Martyrs or marines
who do you think gets,,
the virgins?
USMC 1968-1972

ibisman

Postby nhjeffs » October 2nd, 2010, 4:00 pm

ibisman wrote:Monday or Tuesday looks like when I can get to the downed tree. I don't know who did it but I'm confused....what does anyone care about some roots on top of a hill? It does not effect erosion soWTF? The other one I can see, but come on.And who decides what to cut? I have cut at least 6 trees downed over the summer was I doing wrong? :roll:

I care about the roots being cut out of the trail. They were not on top of a hill and yes their removal will effect erosion on the trail. Downed trees block the trail. They either get cut out of the way or added as a log pile. These roots were part of the trail.

What's the matter? Were they knocking a few seconds off your lap time?
Jeff

nhjeffs

Postby nhjeffs » October 2nd, 2010, 4:05 pm

asshat wrote:And...judging by the antique you are riding I don't see why you would comlpain about making the trail a little smoother. Talk about stickin to the sidewalks, ouch!

Just because the bike I ride is a rigid single speed doesn't mean it's an antique and what the *beep* does it matter what I ride to you? I have no problem riding my bike on any of the trails around here.
Jeff

nhjeffs

Postby froggyrider » October 2nd, 2010, 8:02 pm

Hey, Ibisman, instead of flaming, how about you help us find the culprit and stop defending your asinine attitude. You do enough trail work you may be able to spot something that can help us put this to an end...
froggyrider

Location: I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy. Dorothy Parker

Postby hopsbag » October 3rd, 2010, 12:01 pm

I did a lap at the Hick thiis morning. Made a point to check out the two root cuttings. Honestly, I can't see what all the fuss is about. I don't believe Ibisman or anyone else who frequents this board is responsible. Judging by the area they're in, i would guess local kids (Spades BMX???) are the more likely culprit. With so many other "inconveniently" placed roots and obstacles on this trail, why only these two spots tampered with? Why haven't any of the numerous log hops been removed, or narrow passages through handlebar grabbing trees been messed with? Plenty of other places that would bother a rider only interested in his personal best lap time. Unlike Milford, where several minor log hops have mysteriously disappeared, I've never seen this type of activity at Commerce. I don't endorse any type of un-authorized trail work, and indeed have complained about it on this forum before. I just don't think it's clear-cut who is responsible in this case. And by the way, that new log hop down by the apartment building on Oakley Park is poorly built. Ramps are made with loose, rotting branches.
hopsbag

Metro South: Commerce

Postby WallEyed » October 3rd, 2010, 12:33 pm

The fuss is because it is happening at more than one trail now. Island Lake and Novi have both been hit too. These roots are both fun challenges and natural water bars that DO prevent erosion. I'm already seeing ruts develop at Novi where roots have been removed. I don't think its the local BMX kids, and I doubt it is anyone on this board. It is most likely someone who rides these trails and thinks they are helping out.
Dave Cox
Co-Trail Coordinator - Lakeshore Park
WallEyed

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions