MCMBA: Commerce - Hickory Glen

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: MCMBA: Commerce - Hickory Glen

Postby steveracer » April 11th, 2014, 8:05 pm

Leave the leaves. They work to hold the soil together which keeps the loose sand to a minimum.

Sent using Tapatalk
Hope is not a good strategy.
steveracer

Postby b_b » April 11th, 2014, 8:06 pm

IronMike wrote: Couple dabs cuz I cornered too fast on leaves. Do the leaves eventually go away on their own or do they need a rake/blower?

Yeah just need a few more guys to slide them off the trail. :wink:
I don't mind them - provides a different challenge.
b_b

Postby galaxydean » April 11th, 2014, 8:15 pm

The leaves break down very fast this time of year. Please leave them on the trail. Thanks for asking!
dean
galaxydean

Postby Spinwheel » April 11th, 2014, 10:54 pm

Yes - LEAVE THEM LEAVES ALONE!! ... well that's the title of an old thread where I posted some compelling pictures from the last section at the Hick..
Just read the last post before the Spinal Tap plug here --> viewtopic.php?f=26&t=94406&start=75

Oak leaves are especially helpful because they're so meaty and they grind into the sandy soil nicely and help bind it together. Without leaves, erosion is accelerated - leading to sandy trails, mud pits and greasy spots after rain.

Thanks!
Tim
TC, Hickory Glen Park - Commerce Twp.
Spinwheel

Postby galaxydean » April 12th, 2014, 3:03 pm

1st lap of the year today! LOTS of cars in the parking lot. Trail was pristine!! Can't wait for lap#2!
dean
galaxydean

Re: MCMBA: Commerce - Hickory Glen 4/13/2014

Postby ibisman » April 13th, 2014, 11:14 am

The trail is perfect! first 2 dry laps this year.
Martyrs or marines
who do you think gets,,
the virgins?
USMC 1968-1972
30,934.9 total miles since 2002
Miles for 2014--1511.9--miles for 2013... 1770.25 miles. 0 road miles
all on teenie, tiny, normal sized wheels (well now fat bike tires too..but they are still 26")
ibisman

Postby mclouthken » April 14th, 2014, 6:50 pm

I did some more walking today between 7 and 8, picking up lots of sticks and branches. There's a tree down in that section that's partially blocking the trail. I didn't have my saw with me today, but a small hand saw could take care of it.

The trail is definitely greasy in spots. I would say she needs at least a day or two to dry out...maybe more with the cold temperatures coming tonight. Of course the wetness didn't stop the three bikers that passed me on the trail today.
Ken

2013 Specialized EPIC Comp 29
2013 Trek Rig SS
2004 Gary Fisher Cake 3 - RIP
"If you never fall, you're just not trying"
mclouthken

Postby MadMaxiem » April 15th, 2014, 9:56 am

I was one of the "of course it didn't stop the three bikers that passed you on the trail today". I made three passes on the trail and I do not ride wet muddy trails. The few damp and greasy spots does not mean muddy. If you did not ride damp trails in Michigan with greasy spots you would not get much riding in. There were nothing more than "tire knob prints" left on the trail yesterday and I did move three fallen trees off the trail on my first lap.
MadMaxiem

Postby mclouthken » April 15th, 2014, 6:17 pm

MadMaxiem wrote:I was one of the "of course it didn't stop the three bikers that passed you on the trail today". I made three passes on the trail and I do not ride wet muddy trails. The few damp and greasy spots does not mean muddy. If you did not ride damp trails in Michigan with greasy spots you would not get much riding in. There were nothing more than "tire knob prints" left on the trail yesterday and I did move three fallen trees off the trail on my first lap.

Max, I’m not looking to start an on-line war here. I’m glad you took some the time to clear some fallen trees, but everyone needs to be extra sensitive to trail conditions during the spring thaw. It’s especially susceptible to damage that causes a lot of extra work for the trail coordinators and negatively impacts all the other riders who are hoping to enjoy Hickory Glen all season long.

It sounds like it wasn’t from you, but I stomped down more than "tire knob prints" during my walks this week.
Ken

2013 Specialized EPIC Comp 29
2013 Trek Rig SS
2004 Gary Fisher Cake 3 - RIP
"If you never fall, you're just not trying"
mclouthken

Postby Spinwheel » April 15th, 2014, 8:56 pm

mclouthken wrote:
MadMaxiem wrote:I was one of the "of course it didn't stop the three bikers that passed you on the trail today". I made three passes on the trail and I do not ride wet muddy trails. The few damp and greasy spots does not mean muddy. If you did not ride damp trails in Michigan with greasy spots you would not get much riding in. There were nothing more than "tire knob prints" left on the trail yesterday and I did move three fallen trees off the trail on my first lap.

Max, I’m not looking to start an on-line war here. I’m glad you took some the time to clear some fallen trees, but everyone needs to be extra sensitive to trail conditions during the spring thaw. It’s especially susceptible to damage that causes a lot of extra work for the trail coordinators and negatively impacts all the other riders who are hoping to enjoy Hickory Glen all season long.

It sounds like it wasn’t from you, but I stomped down more than "tire knob prints" during my walks this week.

Well said Ken and Thanks Ken and Max for your work out there, much appreciated !!

Speaking of playing in the dirt we could use some help with a couple reroutes including some crib-wall (berm) building - these little sections will be lots more fun to ride when we get done with them

Saturday April 26 (the snow will gone by then, promise!)

LINK >>> viewtopic.php?f=22&t=123324

Thanks,
Tim
TC, Hickory Glen Park - Commerce Twp.
Spinwheel

Postby berto2cj » April 16th, 2014, 6:25 pm

Any intel on how she is looking after the recent snow? I am planning on hitting it tomorrow and don't want to damage her - any guidance would be appreciated.
KLM / Cold Stone

2012 Trek XCal 29er
2012 Trek Madone 3.1
2014 Redline Conquest CX

Mileage:
-2011: 702.8
-2012: 3,868.31
-2013: 6,025.06
-2014: 5,354.14 as of 10/1

2012 Iceman: 2:44 (broken chain)
2013 Iceman: 2:22
berto2cj

Postby amadkins » April 16th, 2014, 6:42 pm

I saw no ill effects today around 1700. I bugged out about halfway through with a headache, but what I saw was in good form.
amadkins

Postby Sortaslow » April 16th, 2014, 6:53 pm

amadkins wrote:I saw no ill effects today around 1700. I bugged out about halfway through with a headache, but what I saw was in good form.

Ever start a ride with a headache and it goes away? Done that with light migraines and to my delight they sometimes disappear.
Sortaslow

Postby amadkins » April 16th, 2014, 7:32 pm

Sortaslow wrote:
Ever start a ride with a headache and it goes away? Done that with light migraines and to my delight they sometimes disappear.

Unfortunately it's normally the inverse of that situation for me.
amadkins

Postby steveracer » April 16th, 2014, 8:43 pm

Berto. Trail is excellent 100% of the surface is dry. Enjoy the ride!

Sent using Tapatalk
Hope is not a good strategy.
steveracer

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments