MCMBA: Commerce - Hickory Glen

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: MCMBA: Commerce - Hickory Glen

Postby spartanOCR » March 28th, 2014, 6:07 am

You logged in for that? If you're not going to leave accurate trail condition information, don't bother posting.

On that note, just ran through there, and the snow on the paved path is disappearing, but will likely be gone soon. The ATV trails are soft, and I won't touch them until after the thaw.
spartanOCR

Postby ibisman » March 30th, 2014, 6:25 am

Like I said.. the pavement is clear. Don't lecture me sonny.
Martyrs or marines
who do you think gets,,
the virgins?
USMC 1968-1972
30,939.9 total miles since 2002
Miles for 2014--1516.9--miles for 2013... 1770.25 miles. 0 road miles
all on teenie, tiny, normal sized wheels (well now fat bike tires too..but they are still 26")
ibisman

Postby spartanOCR » March 30th, 2014, 8:10 am

If you bothered to post truthful reports, then I wouldn't bother correcting you. For the rider who is desperate to log miles that comes here to read that the paved path is clear - not partially clear (apparently in your mind these are the same thing), it might cost someone a lot of time just to find that the paved path is still caked with remnants of winter.
spartanOCR

Postby Kazie » March 30th, 2014, 8:52 am

Everyone has different perspective. Any info posted here is helpful for your own decision. Let's not crowd it with exchange of words.
//Kazie on black'n'copper '11 Epic 'GAIA V2'
Kazie

Postby spartanOCR » March 31st, 2014, 2:12 pm

Kazie wrote:Everyone has different perspective. Any info posted here is helpful for your own decision. Let's not crowd it with exchange of words.

That post wasn't helpful at all. BTW, Hickory Glen is now totally clear, by Ibiskid's logic. Good to ride!
spartanOCR

Postby Kazie » March 31st, 2014, 2:48 pm

spartanOCR wrote:That post wasn't helpful at all. BTW, Hickory Glen is now totally clear, by Ibiskid's logic. Good to ride!

So, is the MTB single track "totally clear" too? Not only the paved trails? If you could clarify that, it would be one of the most helpful post ever! And if it is, I'm going there right away! Thank you in advance. (Just in case, I'm not being sarcastic. I really want to know it for sure.)
Kazie

Postby spartanOCR » March 31st, 2014, 3:26 pm

Kazie wrote:
spartanOCR wrote:That post wasn't helpful at all. BTW, Hickory Glen is now totally clear, by Ibiskid's logic. Good to ride!

So, is the MTB single track "totally clear" too? Not only the paved trails? If you could clarify that, it would be one of the most helpful post ever! And if it is, I'm going there right away! Thank you in advance. (Just in case, I'm not being sarcastic. I really want to know it for sure.)

yes! by Ibisman's logic, get your tail out there 'cause the trail is ready to ride!
spartanOCR

Postby vette-ss » March 31st, 2014, 8:47 pm

spartanOCR wrote:yes! by Ibisman's logic, get your tail out there 'cause the trail is ready to ride!

You logged in for that? If you're not going to leave accurate trail condition information, don't bother posting. I drove all the way over with my skinny tire bike and the trail was totally unrideable. So disappointed. And here I thought everything I read on the internet was true and your definition of a clear trail was the same as mine. Or maybe you're just a better rider than me.
vette-ss

Postby Kazie » April 1st, 2014, 7:21 am

vette-ss wrote:I drove all the way over with my skinny tire bike and the trail was totally unrideable. So disappointed. And here I thought [...] your definition of a clear trail was the same as mine. Or maybe you're just a better rider than me.

Thank you for another input. I couldn't make it last evening but was planning on making a trip this evening. So, in what way was it unrideable? Is it muddy, soggy, having too many fallen trees/sticks, etc.? Will you share with us? As you mentioned, a better rider can ride on a trail in worse condition. I'd like to have a bit more details to make my own decision. Besides, if it is soggy in any level, I will leave it till the end of the thaw. I don't want to destroy any of our amazing trails. Thank you in advance.
Kazie

Postby vette-ss » April 1st, 2014, 8:00 am

Kazie wrote:Thank you for another input. I couldn't make it last evening but was planning on making a trip this evening. So, in what way was it unrideable? Is it muddy, soggy, having too many fallen trees/sticks, etc.? Will you share with us? As you mentioned, a better rider can ride on a trail in worse condition. I'd like to have a bit more details to make my own decision. Besides, if it is soggy in any level, I will leave it till the end of the thaw. I don't want to destroy any of our amazing trails. Thank you in advance.

My post was 100% sarcasm, and I've been nowhere close to the Commerce trail to check it out. I just don't understand the animosity of mrOCR toward a fellow mtb'er who practically lives at Commerce and the MT trail and I'm sure does way more for our trails that OCR does (although hard to know with only 17 posts). Ranting because Ibis called a paved path clear but they were only "partially clear". Really?? It's been a long winter I guess.

Milford and Commerce are usually the first in the area that are good to go in the spring, but I know they aren't even close yet so I'm not even going to think about it for a few weeks. If we have a hard overnight freeze, have at it in the early am. Otherwise, plan on waiting a bit.
vette-ss

Postby spartanOCR » April 1st, 2014, 9:12 am

I appreciate the compliment of piggybacking on my initial sarcasm. The subsequent trail condition comments were obviously satirical. If ibisman is an authority on the Hick then he should grasp the difference between two vastly different terms. Any time spent in MI with you people is too long. Is there something in the water up here?
spartanOCR

Postby Kazie » April 1st, 2014, 9:26 am

vette-ss wrote:My post was 100% sarcasm, and I've been nowhere close to the Commerce trail to check it out.

Thank you for being honest. Yeah, I guessed it too, but I took a shot because, as you mentioned, Hickory Glen is one the earliest we can ride in the spring. I hoped it might be out of thaw. Now, it would be my turn to get there and report. This evening doesn't seem likely, may try Thu.

And I appreciate anyone's input especially in thaw stand point. Thank you!
Kazie

Postby Spinwheel » April 1st, 2014, 8:01 pm

Just checked the first 40 yards of the single-track and there is still alot of snow in the woods and 2 - 4 inches of frozen slush / ice on the trail, although the trailhead was clear of snow for about the first 10 ft. (where it gets hit by the sun daily).

Could be a couple more weeks, hard to tell.

My boots were nice and muddy when I climbed back into the car...

Back to the trainer, where I'm logging record hours this year!!
Tim
TC, Hickory Glen Park - Commerce Twp.
Spinwheel

Postby Kazie » April 1st, 2014, 11:03 pm

Spinwheel wrote:Just checked the first 40 yards of the single-track and there is still alot of snow in the woods and 2 - 4 inches of frozen slush / ice on the trail, although the trailhead was clear of snow for about the first 10 ft. (where it gets hit by the sun daily).

Could be a couple more weeks, hard to tell.

My boots were nice and muddy when I climbed back into the car...

Back to the trainer, where I'm logging record hours this year!!

Thank you so much for your detailed report. You saved my whole Thursday evening in which I was planning on a visit. I keep spinning the trainer. Me too logging record hours. Thank you again.
Kazie

Postby spartanOCR » April 2nd, 2014, 12:57 pm

Thanks for deleting my previous post *beep*!
spartanOCR

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments