MCMBA: Hickory Glen (Commerce)

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Metro South: Commerce

Postby Bruck » April 16th, 2010, 8:43 am

The Hick was bumpin last night!
Have never seen that many riders there.
Saw the flags by the bowl, will there be more additions than that? I can't wait!
The wooded ramp / skinny stunt had some loose boards / debris that almost got me.
Other than that, it was great!
Bruck

Postby gearbike » April 16th, 2010, 8:51 am

What happened to the teeter totter?
gearbike

Postby ColorVoyeur » April 16th, 2010, 9:34 am

Teeters were pulled nation wide from IMBA affiliated trails.
Insurance BS.
No Dig, No Ride
ColorVoyeur

Postby gearbike » April 16th, 2010, 9:46 am

If I will go over something it cannot be considered dangerous. Oh well!
gearbike

Postby Apps » April 16th, 2010, 1:34 pm

Bruck wrote:The Hick was bumpin last night!
Saw the flags by the bowl, will there be more additions than that? I can't wait!
The wooded ramp / skinny stunt had some loose boards / debris that almost got me.

One of the stringers is busted..we plan on replacing it tomorrow during the trail day...well...we're replacing both stringers actually....

Right now there isn't a lot of additions planned since we're kind of packed in pretty tight as it is with the given land space....you never know what might come up though.... 8)
04 Ventana Pantera (FS)
06 Redline Flight Monocog (SS)
07 LeMond Poprad Disc (Cross)
08 Vassago Bandersnatch (29er)

http://www.teamtreefarm.com Image
Apps

Postby billips1002 » April 16th, 2010, 1:44 pm

I was one of those newbies out there last night. This is only the 2nd trail I've ever ridden on a mountain bike (Island Lake was the first) and it totally kicked my butt with many obstacles to negotiate, narrow passages through trees, and lots of sneaky twists and turns.

I rode off the skinny bridge and crashed!

Oh well, practice (cuts and bruises) makes perfect I guess. I think this will be a good trail for me to practice on and learn control of my bike.

I thought this trail was going to be short but it rides long!
billips1002

Postby froggyrider » April 16th, 2010, 2:42 pm

billips1002 wrote:

That is a good description! It reminds me of a Midsummer Night's Dream theater set, too...
froggyrider

Location: I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy. Dorothy Parker

Postby Apps » April 16th, 2010, 3:16 pm

Commerce is a great trail to teach bike handling...in order to be fast around there you really need to be one with your bike....

Justin
04 Ventana Pantera (FS)

Apps

Postby Loren » April 16th, 2010, 4:05 pm

And when you make a mistake, you become one with the trail ;-)
Loren

Postby Mweir » April 16th, 2010, 5:07 pm

billips1002 wrote:

I was one of those newbies out there last night. This is only the 2nd trail I've ever ridden on a mountain bike (Island Lake was the first) and it totally kicked my butt with many obstacles to negotiate, narrow passages through trees, and lots of sneaky twists and turns.

I rode off the skinny bridge and crashed!

Oh well, practice (cuts and bruises) makes perfect I guess. I think this will be a good trail for me to practice on and learn control of my bike.

I'm a Newbie too, i was out there last night too but I didn't do a full loop, I stuck to the easy loops and the paved path, don't quite have the endurance yet to do the whole thing! last year when i bought my bike I found out about "The Hick" and decided to go for it since it was right down the street from home... I wasn't prepared and thought I was going to DIE! I'm looking for people to get out and ride with, if you ever want a riding partner let me know, I cant guarantee that i'll be able to keep up but i find its good to have someone else there to help push you.
Mweir

Postby froggyrider » April 16th, 2010, 10:14 pm

For anyone helping at the trail day tomorrow:

Hi, Hickory Glen/Commerce enthusiasts,

Please bring a chair so when you eat lunch, you have a place to sit.

It will be chillier than expected, high of 47, so keep that in mind!

Thanks.
froggyrider

Location: I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy. Dorothy Parker

Postby froggyrider » April 17th, 2010, 7:32 pm

FYI- follow this link to pics and video of the trail if you haven't been to Commerce yet:

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=96694
froggyrider

Postby gixracer » April 22nd, 2010, 7:24 am

why was the table top moved to a place where there was a trail feature, the rolling jump, was there a problem with its placement before? now there is just a dirt mound in the last section. now two features side by side instead of being able to have the option to ride both of them, see like a waste of trail.
gixracer

Postby ibisman » April 22nd, 2010, 8:33 am

I like it. it was too steep when it was at the end. Now it will get more people to try these things without being scared of crashing. I have young people who are learning how to jump and clear log piles and it helps. That pile of dirt is not very good any way....you land in the middle of the second one most of the time. Besides if you do 3 or 4 laps you CAN hit both.
Martyrs or marines
who do you think gets,,
the virgins?
USMC 1968-1972
32,845.5 total trail miles since 2002
TRAIL Miles for 2014--1809.9-. 2015 fatbike trail miles--:1416
2016 miles..... 228 1/2 :)

Co-trail coordinator Lakeview drive /Hines drive trails
ibisman

Postby Apps » April 22nd, 2010, 12:58 pm

gixracer wrote:why was the table top moved to a place where there was a trail feature, the rolling jump, was there a problem with its placement before? now there is just a dirt mound in the last section. now two features side by side instead of being able to have the option to ride both of them, see like a waste of trail.

I moved it for a couple reasons. The first being that when it was built (bandit built) it took away what was a great little dirt jump. The second is I think it fits in better in that area with the other man made stunts (well, the teeter used to be there). Third that natural rolling drop made a natural place to put it and gave plenty of fall zone/landing zone if something goes wrong..

The ramp that was put in before the rolling drop was bandit activity by the BMX kids in the area. I left it since it is kind of off to the side and easy to ride around for those who don't want to do it. Also, we added another jump in the beginning of the trail by using a rideable bowl feature....you can really get some speed in to it and jump out if you try....

In reality, the trail crew gave you options you never had or knew you were missing. We added two more jumps and still kept the step down stunt. I'm currently thinking of a way to put a return line in so you can session that area a bit...the man made stunt and the step down/jump area....kind of make it in to it's own mini loop....maybe one day we'll be able to put the teeter back out there too....
04 Ventana Pantera (FS)

Apps

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions