MCMBA: Hickory Glen (Commerce)

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Metro South: Commerce

Postby ibisman » October 10th, 2009, 1:36 pm

Got there about 10 had a low front tire...pumped it up, broke off the inner valve, had to put new tube in and must not have put both sides of the tire on, and at the start of the trail two women stopped us and asked about the trail and the side wall of my front tire popped off the rim and the inner tube bulged out like a party ballon. Good thing I stopped to talk to those women.. I would have gone over the handlebars on that first down hill. Any way... Did three laps and the trail was great! No trees down just a few branches and one or two small muddy spots. Normal lap times. 38-41 minutes. Ride on!
ibisman

Postby fizgig » October 10th, 2009, 2:02 pm

saw two guys riding but we were pretty far away from each other, spoke with the TC Apps for a while and he informed me of the part I missed, it's after disneyland, I always headed back over the floating bridge but I guess you're supposed to go over the other bridge and to the left. wasn't feeling very well and bagged it after a lap, tired legs from a couple of hockey games and pontiac lake earlier this week.
fizgig

Postby Apps » October 11th, 2009, 3:52 pm

fizgig wrote:saw two guys riding but we were pretty far away from each other, spoke with the TC Apps for a while and he informed me of the part I missed, it's after disneyland, I always headed back over the floating bridge but I guess you're supposed to go over the other bridge and to the left. wasn't feeling very well and bagged it after a lap, tired legs from a couple of hockey games and pontiac lake earlier this week.

Nice to talk to you Ryan....that section after Disneyland is what we call the trail school section since we put it in as part of a trail workers school we had out there a few years ago...Now maybe you'll know about the ciner block climb :)

Justin
Apps

Postby Apps » October 20th, 2009, 8:48 am

Trail is in good shape...it's leaf time so you have to pay attention to the trail so you don't hit a hidden roots or stumps and don't lose the trail entirely....look for the beat down leaves and you should be good to go....ALso, the leaves can be slippery so just keep that in mind as well.....Get out and enjoy this little awarm spell we're having....
Apps

Postby Spinwheel » October 21st, 2009, 5:31 pm

Due to issues with the MMBA's insurance policy, the teeter-totter is being removed from the trail. We hope to be able to reinstall it after the insurance issues are resolved since so many people enjoy riding it.
Tim
TC, Hickory Glen Park - Commerce Twp.
Spinwheel

Postby fizgig » October 21st, 2009, 6:27 pm

the teeter totter is a cake walk compared to disneyland. i thought all the insurance issues were straightened out?
fizgig

Postby Spinwheel » October 21st, 2009, 7:08 pm

fizgig wrote:the teeter totter is a cake walk compared to disneyland. i thought all the insurance issues were straightened out?

This is what I have been told: Our new insurance policy does not cover teeter-totters and articulating type structures.

Further info will hopefully be posted here > http://www.mmba.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=93372

The teeter is removed. Thanks gixracer for your assistance!
Tim
Spinwheel

Postby ibisman » October 27th, 2009, 3:39 pm

Well, Logman and I did 4 laps this morning and it was not until lap 3 that I noticed something different....The teeter totter was missing! Well thats what you get when you get old. Anyway, the trail was really nice...no mud, and one tree leaning low at 2.1 miles. Trail is very leave covered but much fun!
ibisman

Postby gixracer » October 28th, 2009, 10:28 pm

that tree leaning is now blocking, needs a chainsaw. other than that trail was fun and well covered by the leaves.
gixracer

Postby ibisman » October 29th, 2009, 1:21 pm

We did 4 laps again today(Thursday) and its pretty much the same . there is a tree down after the ramp but before where the teeter totter was. you can pass on the left before the ramp.
ibisman

Postby FrankenFuel95 » November 1st, 2009, 3:14 pm

Trail was clear and fun. Well at least the parts I rode... I'm sure I missed a loop.
FrankenFuel95

Postby fizgig » November 1st, 2009, 5:40 pm

you sure you rode hickory glen? I rode it today and there are 3 trees down and a pile of "logs" on the trail and a big hole.

Is this http://www.flickr.com/photos/42296454@N00/4065679945/ supposed to be blocked off? It's right where the loop back after the bridge comes back to the paved path, there's a split, I rode it and there's nothing wrong with the trail there and it's only a few hundred feet until it crosses the paved path

tree 1 just past the ramp
http://www.flickr.com/photos/42296454@N00/4065598003/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/42296454@N00/4065606341/

tree 2 past the big creek crossing where a bunch of trails cross at the beginning of the tight switchbacky section, this one is a pain to get around if you don't go over it.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/42296454@N00/4065575843/

tree 3 was small, I it moved off the trail along with a ton of larger branches, this may have been it, I can't remember.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/42296454@N ... otostream/

also, something dug up the trail about 1.5 miles in:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/42296454@N00/4065545351/
fizgig

Postby Spinwheel » November 1st, 2009, 7:49 pm

fizgig wrote:Is this http://www.flickr.com/photos/42296454@N00/4065679945/ supposed to be blocked off? It's right where the loop back after the bridge comes back to the paved path, there's a split, I rode it and there's nothing wrong with the trail there and it's only a few hundred feet until it crosses the paved path

The mtb trail goes right at the split. If its blocked it shouldn't be. This is just before the football field if I understand you correctly..
Tim
Spinwheel

Postby fizgig » November 1st, 2009, 10:56 pm

yeah, someone piled up that dead wood like it's a reroute, I always take that route to the right, I wondered if the park asked the TC to reroute it or something but it's probably just some kids messing around. there's nothing on either side of it but open field for a good 30', this stuff was placed there.
fizgig

Postby FrankenFuel95 » November 2nd, 2009, 6:38 am

fizgig wrote:you sure you rode hickory glen? I rode it today and there are 3 trees down and a pile of "logs" on the trail and a big hole.

Didn't see any of that. The trail sections I rode were clear. What time did you ride? I rode at 1 PM and only had 5 miles of singletrack when I was done so I know I missed some stuff.

When I was leaving there were 4 BMX kids riding in and it's so nice to see that they've "tagged" the kiosk and the benches and spray painted over the directional signs.
FrankenFuel95

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions