MCMBA: Hickory Glen (Commerce)

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Metro South: Commerce

Postby Apps » October 8th, 2009, 1:37 pm

It's over by the rideable V tree, bet you don't know that one either :) How about near where the orange cone is sometimes at a two track crossing? A little before you get to the river crossing that had the pallet for most of the year....

Jeff - thanks for the update....telling me locations like that is probably better than mile markers! I'll try and get out this weekend and take care of it...

Justin
Apps

Postby bfresh » October 8th, 2009, 1:40 pm

Haha, I know them all, it's nice living a mile away!
bfresh

Postby fizgig » October 8th, 2009, 1:53 pm

i know the pallet and the V tree, i take the path right though and not through the tree, i don't think my handlebars fit. i was kinda sad that creek dried up, makes that part less exciting.

just past that section i took some hidden path out to some really sandy two track that opens out to a field, looks like some sort of alternate entrance from the back side.

the only real armored part i remember is just past that whole mixing bowl area where if you go straight you end up in the creek, you have to turn right at the roots at the top of the ridge follow it around to the right, and it can get muddy there in the spring.
fizgig

Postby Loren » October 8th, 2009, 2:08 pm

Perhaps there are sections you haven't explored yet. You'd remember the armored climb.
Loren

Postby Bruck » October 8th, 2009, 2:16 pm

Ha! I love it!

How about the real sharp, up hill, left turn with the tree on the left side where at about 4 feet up, the trunk bows out into the trail?
Bruck

Postby fizgig » October 8th, 2009, 3:30 pm

haha, yeah, i know that part well, still surprises me sometimes though, gets me to tap down about half the time.

where exactly is this armored climb? anyone have a picture? on the other side of the floating bridge? I'm still not entirely sure I follow the proper path over there. I follow it left and it loops around over 2 log piles, sharp loop back with a climb, then down a steep hill over the paved trail through to the left where it's really tight switchbacky turns with a ton of logs and a couple log piles, then after a while that dumps me back out by the floating bridge and I follow it back over and hop on over on the left side again.

I followed 2 other trails exploring over there, but one is like 50' of dirt paved path to paved path by the other bridge, and the other is by the floating bridge and just seems to go up into the woods where there are a couple of wood blocks.
fizgig

Postby ibisman » October 8th, 2009, 4:19 pm

Kevin and I will be out there Saturday morning around 10. Anyone wants to ride along is wecome! By the way....What is that round slippery thing at the top of the cinderblock climb?Dave
ibisman

Postby Loren » October 8th, 2009, 5:39 pm

It's the cover to an abandoned missile silo from the '50s. Might still be a warhead in there. Or maybe not. Who knows...
Loren

Postby Bruck » October 9th, 2009, 6:13 am

Good one ibisman...... I have always wondered that......

The old missile silos are about 2 miles north east of the Hick. Maybe that is a secret hatch that leads to a secret tunnel going to the underground base of the old missle silo?

You never know.............
Bruck

Postby 3d » October 9th, 2009, 8:33 am

wait, someone said there are steep hills there? i kid, i kid (not really)

i rode the trail last night before the rain came in and came across the trees down mentioned above, otherwise it was in great shape

one thing on the trail design: now this is only the second time i've riden the trail, but there is one spot in the center where the trail is completely confusing and there are little to no trail markers. its kind of a opening within the trees, maybe half way in, where two or three old creek beds run though and worn trails criss-crossing all over the place. Is there, or has there ever been, any thought given to mark this out a little better? the two times i've ridden through there i've either ended up going the wrong way down a section or felt like i was cutting off a loop or something...
3d

Postby purvis76 » October 9th, 2009, 8:38 am

ibisman wrote:Kevin and I will be out there Saturday morning around 10. Anyone wants to ride along is wecome! By the way....What is that round slippery thing at the top of the cinderblock climb?Dave

Sounds good, I will probably there around 8-8:15, I hope to do a couple of loops before it gets to cold out there!
purvis76

Postby Apps » October 9th, 2009, 9:57 am

3d wrote:one thing on the trail design: now this is only the second time i've riden the trail, but there is one spot in the center where the trail is completely confusing and there are little to no trail markers. its kind of a opening within the trees, maybe half way in, where two or three old creek beds run though and worn trails criss-crossing all over the place. Is there, or has there ever been, any thought given to mark this out a little better? the two times i've ridden through there i've either ended up going the wrong way down a section or felt like i was cutting off a loop or something...

Have their been thoughts...yeah....finding the time and equipment to do it has been the biggest issue...Signage is one of the next improvements planned for the trail but right now I'm doing what I can just to keep up with the downed trees and trimming and stuff....I've had help on those issues which I greatly appreciate. Maybe as the fall progresses I can get the trail GPSed and start working on a map. I can also work on where to best put maps and arrows.

The area you mention isn't that hard to follow as long as you cross the creek properly...most people who get confused there don't ride diagonally from one embankment to the other, they ride off one, cross the river bed and then make a left and go up the two track. You're not the only one who does that. Spinwheel (Tim) had arrows all over that place but local kids seemed to collect them and break the carsonite signs that he put up. I think there still are a couple small yellow arrows out there ub that area if you really look around....

I hope to get out there tomorrow morning and try and cut those trees out too....
Apps

Postby ibisman » October 9th, 2009, 1:05 pm

Angle to the right while you climb the hill and then turn left after the top. And that round cover at the top of the cinderblock hill is SLICK. I will be there tomorrow morning rain or? Green Honda Civic and grey Fuji free ride bike.
ibisman

Postby fizgig » October 9th, 2009, 8:49 pm

i'm going to try and make it out, silver trailblazer, riding a black GF hardtail
fizgig

Postby fizgig » October 10th, 2009, 8:36 am

running late, won't get there until 10:30
fizgig

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions