MCMBA: Commerce - Hickory Glen

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: MCMBA: Commerce - Hickory Glen

Postby johanssont » July 5th, 2013, 9:06 am

ColorVoyeur wrote:Smashing pinkies on a tree in the woods while mountain biking and calling it an injury.....

Go take up feather bowling you tools.

Yep, personal attacks make a very strong argument.

What, you get kicked out of Cadieux Cafe or something?

I hate to break this to you but biking in general is a pretty pansy sport. Maybe you can take up bull fighting, motor racing or mountaineering to prove how manly you are.

Listen, everybody uses the trails. Is it really going to hurt the trail to trim the foliage around the stump back?
Dirty Thirties
johanssont

Postby iamkickstand » July 5th, 2013, 9:17 am

johanssont wrote:[
Listen, everybody uses the trails. Is it really going to hurt the trail to trim the foliage around the stump back?

Maybe I missed it, but it seems most wanted to trim the stump, not the foliage.....trimming the stump in my opinion would be lame, triming leaves to make it more visible doesn't seem like an issue at all to me.
iamkickstand

Postby ColorVoyeur » July 5th, 2013, 9:27 am

They're talking about cutting the stump, not foliage around it.

No, I don't think trimming one stump will alter the character of the trail too greatly.

If you start altering every trail because of two people that can't hack it in the woods and want to *beep* about it we create a slippery slope that could neuter and affect all trails in the area.
Should we move all trees that are within 30" of each other? Should we widen every wooden feature?

Maybe... just maybe... the TCs and volunteers that have left that stump in place over who knows how many years know what's best and these "pinkie injuries" are a result of user error?
ColorVoyeur

Postby FREEDOM35 » July 6th, 2013, 9:01 am

Hickory Glen irritates a lot of folks for the same reason Gruber's seems to: you can't just fly through it. You have to be patient, smart, and at least somewhat fit to ride them well. If you want, you can run the trail in reverse so there are no surprises and nothing interesting that keeps you awake along the way. Or, you could just get a mountain biking game on your smartphone and play it as you drive down the road. Or you could get into motor racing or get into horsey riding. That way, you can be fat and lazy and still go somewhere. :P
No one likes to admit they ate nine cans of ravioli
FREEDOM35

Postby ibisman » July 6th, 2013, 10:47 am

That's why Morton/Taylor trail also drives the big wheeled riders nuts. And they complain and move things around and cut corners.
Martyrs or marines
who do you think gets
the virgins?
USMC 1968-1972
30,183.5 total miles since 2002
Miles for 2014--570 -----miles for 2013... 1770.25 miles. 0 road miles
all on teenie, tiny, normal sized wheels
ibisman

Postby UselessPickles » July 7th, 2013, 6:53 pm

iamkickstand wrote:triming leaves to make it more visible doesn't seem like an issue at all to me.

Then how about suggesting that as an option when I repeatedly mention (in various ways) that the poor visibility of the hazard is what caused my crash, and is my concern? Instead, several people jump straight to personal attacks, exaggerations, and just about every logical fallacy you could possibly use in an argument.

iamkickstand wrote:
UselessPickles wrote:... the tightness/narrowness of the trail was not the problem for me ... I don't have problems clipping handlebars on trees elsewhere on this trail or on other trails (Highland included) ...

Go ride highland there are at leas 3 spots my bars physically do not fit between trees. Please sign my petition to make the trail wider to accommodate me.

Try reading before replying.

There seems to be a pattern of poor reading comprehension going on here. I won't try explaining myself yet again because reading is apparently too difficult for those that seem to prefer to lash out with personal attacks instead of having a discussion.

I would, however, like to correct you all on one minor detail. I think I can come down to your level on this one and get the point across without using any of those confusing words that would require you to think about what you're looking at...

It's not a "pinkie injury." It's this finger:

:wink:
UselessPickles

Postby iamkickstand » July 7th, 2013, 7:56 pm

That's an injury? Grow a pair.
iamkickstand

Postby UselessPickles » July 7th, 2013, 9:21 pm

Did you happen to be a knight in a past lifetime, kickstand? Maybe this one?

That bruising on the knuckles just started appearing yesterday... a week after the "pinky injury". That's bruising coming out from deep within the joints. I still can't bend it enough to wrap around my handlebars. No, it's not ripped off, no bones are sticking out, and I don't even have to get it amputated. But yes, it is a an injury that ended a ride early, interferes with daily life and prevents me from riding for a week and counting. I'm sure if I was a man like you, I'd just whip out my pocket knife and carve out the pesky inflamed portions of my knuckles so that I could bend my finger around the handlebars and continue riding, after packing the fresh open wounds with salt just so I could laugh at the pain. Unfortunately, I am not as awesome as you. I am just an average human.

And again with the whole reading comprehension thing... the finger injury was not the only result of the contact with the stump. There was also the unplanned departure from the bike over the handlebars. That hidden crash risk is the concern here, not a minor pinky scrape.

I promise I'll stop confusing you with my calm, civil and relevant discussion now. It's probably not the reaction you're used to getting to your childish insults. Good day, sir!
UselessPickles

Postby ibisman » July 7th, 2013, 9:54 pm

wow, waving about the offending appendage is grown up like behavior. And Mr. pickle, you complain about our reaction to a newbie making disparaging remarks about our wonderful trail embellishing his injury "story" to emmenagogue the image and enable the clear cutting of our forest. The injury looks not like a hemoptysis nor a compound fracture, and is indistinguishable from a scratch a child might receive playing hide and seek with his little pals. We the friends of the forest Hickory Glen have enough problems clearing downed trees , weeding and fixing damage caused by vandals to worry about every overwrought accident prone judy that gets an "injury". Read the warning label on your little bicycle. "riding a mountainbike carries certain risks and injuries may occur" "always wear a helmet".
Martyrs or marines
who do you think gets
the virgins?
USMC 1968-1972
30,183.5 total miles since 2002
Miles for 2014--570 -----miles for 2013... 1770.25 miles. 0 road miles
all on teenie, tiny, normal sized wheels
ibisman

Postby UselessPickles » July 7th, 2013, 10:10 pm

ibisman wrote:The injury looks not like a hemoptysis

LOL! And that shows just how qualified you are for diagnosing my injury: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/hemoptysis

You compare a finger injury to "The expectoration of blood or of blood-streaked sputum from the larynx, trachea, bronchi, or lungs."

No, my finger definitely does not appear to be that. Thanks for informing me, though.

Also, I'm pretty sure I'm the only one who has not been embellishing/exaggerating. You even embellish/exaggerate in the same sentence where you accuse me of embellishing.

Good day to you, as well, sir!
UselessPickles

Postby UselessPickles » July 7th, 2013, 10:32 pm

I think I see what you did there now, ibisman. I took you too literally out of tiredness. Well played.

The trolls are getting fat. Time to stop feeding them.
UselessPickles

Postby iamkickstand » July 8th, 2013, 7:35 am

Awwwe the knuckle is bruising...poor lil fella. ..... The point is its mountain biking and two bruised fingers shouldn't change a trail for everyone else. Go buy a road bike.
iamkickstand

Postby deezler » July 8th, 2013, 7:57 am

Jesus, dudes. He blasted his finger on a hidden stump and endo'd. Could have been much worse, like a broken neck. While keeping some obstacles along the trail is key to making MTB'ing challenging and fun, they should never be hidden. This time of year, face-slappers are the norm on many trails, so you just accept that and plow through them. But if a group of leaves is hiding something that can stop you dead and throw you over the bars, that should be corrected, no? I don't understand why you both felt the need to play mr. big tough guy and bash on him repeatedly. Let's find some common ground here, eh?
deezler

Postby iamkickstand » July 8th, 2013, 8:09 am

I think you'll see I agreed that removing the leaves so you could see the stump was no big deal, but that removing the stump was stupid.

Let's see, last weekend in marquette I crashed twice, both times on rocks in the trail that I didn't see and or choose the correct line, should we remove those too? One of which I believe may have broken my hand, or at the very least has caused deep bruising in my hand.

Saturday I I hit at least 4 trees while riding at Boyne Highlands, all of which were small trees next to the trail that I may or may not have seen, may or may not have come into corners too fast, or may or may not have hit due to the extra dry/sandy conditions. I ended up with a deep thigh bruise, what feels like yet another AC Joint seperation in my shoulder, and a sore elbow. Should I petition boyne to knock those trees (I hit one of the same trees twice) off the trail so I don't fall down again?

This is a RISK filled sport, if you do not like that, ride easier trails (like ILRA) or buy a road bike and ride the paved paths.

I am not trying to sound like a *beep* or even throw down personal attacks to be mean, but COMMON sense says this is a sport with inherent risks, that's part of the draw for many people. Don't try to dumb it down for everyone else.
iamkickstand

Postby ColorVoyeur » July 8th, 2013, 8:17 am

It's not a hidden obstacle deezler. It's a giant *beep* tree. It's been there for years with no issues. I'm all about trimming foliage around it if it was obscured... but don't cut part of a tree out because of two people running a hand into it.

This guys crying all over the internet about a stump.... in the woods... on a mountain bike trail. GUESS *beep* WHAT!? That is mountain biking.

This "injury" is easily avoided by not riding your bike in the woods.
ColorVoyeur

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments