MCMBA: Hickory Glen (Commerce)

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Metro South: Commerce

Postby washedout » July 29th, 2009, 1:58 pm

Spinwheel wrote:
MO Speed wrote:I was looking at the map and saw there was a ridable bowl? What is it and is it still around? Map was from 2005ish.

I'm told there was a golf course at Hickory Glen decades ago. The ridable bowls are former golf course sand traps. You can spot these all over the Hick, and in some places, the tee boxes too.

I've heard about that too. They paid a fortune to get rid of all that sand out of those things. My buddy's great uncle says he made like $2/hr (alot back then) shoveling it into rail cars (you can still see the old rail bed by the football field) to be shipped west to some state land along grand river.

The trail is in great shape by the way. Any plans to reinstate the teeter-totter? (originally used as the water crossing on the second par 5)
washedout

Postby Apps » July 29th, 2009, 5:07 pm

PLans are to repaior the teeter....I just need to find the time! The original builders aren't around anymore to maintain it so I'll do my best when I get a chance....

Justin
Co-TC "The Hick"
Apps

Postby ColorVoyeur » July 30th, 2009, 1:30 pm

The teeter was back up early this afternoon. I rode up it halfway, but wasn't so sure... so I rolled back. I met the man that did it, Paul , on my way out of the trail and he said he was going to go break it in. It looks great, and again, big thanks!
Rest of the trail is rockin as always!
ColorVoyeur

Postby ColorVoyeur » August 5th, 2009, 6:05 pm

Tree down around 1.5 miles or so... pretty decent size, might make the start of a sweet log pile ;)
Teeter is still holding strong.
ColorVoyeur

Postby ibisman » August 10th, 2009, 12:32 pm

Monday morning : did 4 laps and the trail was fine . a fairly big tree down at 2.3 miles and 3 or 4 small puddles.I moved several small trees that I could by myself. Amazing how this trail stands up to the rain. Thanks to all who maintain this great trail. Oh, and the teeter todder : it looks like the base is loose where it goes into the ground. Boy is that thing slippery when its wet!
ibisman

Postby MRTbikeman » August 10th, 2009, 2:20 pm

I was there yesterday and did 4 laps too (boy was that a hot one!) Same story here... 3 or 4 small puddles and the big tree across the trail. I was also amazed at how good the trail was after all the rain on Sat. Teeter-todder was loose at the base then too. I crashed once on it, because it was loose and a bit slippery. Maybe the base could get pounded down a bit farther, it would lower the teeter a little but also would help support it as well. Maybe someone could rid the side of the teeter of the broken(?) tree about chest high that could impale someone if they have an off right there. Just a thought. :)

Mike
MRTbikeman

Postby Crawland » August 13th, 2009, 11:48 am

I was there on Tuesday. Great ride as always, but a couple of notes. I don't know the distance, but about a mile in there is a low hanging tree/branch that hit me in the head on both of my laps. If you're looking at the trail you don't really see it until you feel the thunk on your helmet.

Second, the new tetter totter looks great. It definately needs to be anchored because it is really loose. Does anyone else think that it is too high? I felt like I was going to launch into orbit and lost all my momentum before it tipped. Of course, then I fell off and tumbled into the woods so I'm sure I didn't help the stability issue. Incidentally, I found the old tetter totter. It was right about where my head landed. :-)

Does anyone else smell skunk right before you get to the zig-zag platform and the tetter totter? I'm afraid one of these days I'm going to startle a skunk and get sprayed in the face for my troubles. I've noticed it the last couple rides.

This is a great trail. Thank you to everyone who works on it.
Crawland

Postby ibisman » August 13th, 2009, 2:59 pm

if we could get a bag of cement and a container of water back there that would fix the base. It does seem kinda steep before it drops and its really slick when wet. I've got a spare package of shingles , should anyone want to nail them on the todder?Dave
ibisman

Postby Spinwheel » August 13th, 2009, 4:45 pm

Crawland wrote:I was there on Tuesday. Great ride as always, but a couple of notes. I don't know the distance, but about a mile in there is a low hanging tree/branch that hit me in the head on both of my laps. If you're looking at the trail you don't really see it until you feel the thunk on your helmet.

Second, the new tetter totter looks great. It definately needs to be anchored because it is really loose. Does anyone else think that it is too high? I felt like I was going to launch into orbit and lost all my momentum before it tipped. Of course, then I fell off and tumbled into the woods so I'm sure I didn't help the stability issue. Incidentally, I found the old tetter totter. It was right about where my head landed. :-)

Does anyone else smell skunk right before you get to the zig-zag platform and the tetter totter? I'm afraid one of these days I'm going to startle a skunk and get sprayed in the face for my troubles. I've noticed it the last couple rides.

This is a great trail. Thank you to everyone who works on it.

The teeter height has been lowered, but it is still not cemented in. The old teeter is 'removed' along with the impaling tree stump and plenty of garbage in that area. There are lots of skunks in the area, they hang out with the neighborhood cats after dark.

AFA cementing the teeter into the ground, its probably better not. Historically speaking at the Hick, teeters that are fastened to the ground are eventually doomed to be twisted off thier base. One of the best features of the old teeter design was that it did not fasten to the ground.
Tim
TC, Hickory Glen Park - Commerce Twp.
Spinwheel

Postby Crawland » August 14th, 2009, 8:44 am

Sweet! I can't wait to try it again. I re-read my post and hope I didn't come off like I was complaining about the old teeter being tossed to the side. I just thought it was funny as I was riding up the new tetter thinking "hey, this looks like new wood" and then falling off and staring at the old one as I was laying in a heap on the side of the trail.
Crawland

Postby gixracer » August 15th, 2009, 10:29 am

trail looks good
teeter has been reset.
it will wiggle at the base a little.
there is 3 ft of post sunk in to the ground with added 2x4on each side on the bottom to reduce heaving. so its more than stable.
+1 on no cement.(leave no trace)
i think it will settle and be fine
the guy out there was packing down the dirt pretty good around the post.

good riding
gixracer

Postby ibisman » August 20th, 2009, 11:54 am

Did 3 laps before the rain this morning (Thursday) and the trail was buff. Nice fix on the teeter totter! Nice try on the downed tree at 2.4 miles in but it would help to pile stuff in front too. I did manage to clear it the second time around when I knew it was coming.
ibisman

Postby Gfish29 » August 20th, 2009, 8:47 pm

Just returned from a ride there tonight, there is a NEW TREE DOWN right after the first sort of uphill-double-switchback on the newer Oakley Park park section. I'm not sure of the distance, but that part gets a lot of the western sun glare in the early evening and it is on the downslope so be on the lookout! It is a whole tree, I could not move it I also did remove a large snapped branch that was new and hanging/blocking, it a real clothes-liner about 1/2 mile past the teeter totter. Teeter Totter is working well BTW. Thanks!
Gfish29

Postby ibisman » August 23rd, 2009, 2:43 pm

did three laps this morning and since no one cut out the big tree at 2.4 mile I fixed it.
ibisman

Postby agfrag » August 26th, 2009, 9:08 pm

I did the Hick this past Tuesday, and saw that someone had put a section of log in front of the 2.4 mile tree, and one after. Sorry, but I just had to laugh at it. Looks like it was designed specifically to destroy crank rings, though with some of the marks I see on some of the other log piles, I can understand some folks are into that.

No way am I going for that puppy...!
agfrag

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions