MCMBA: Hickory Glen (Commerce)

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Metro South: Commerce

Postby mwilson7 » July 7th, 2009, 3:13 am

Just a newbie note but I was pulling up the directions off the Trail Guide to this location and noticed that your location marker on the google map is approx 1 mile further west than where the park is actually located. Not a big deal but thought I'd just mention it as it is confusing when you are trying to get your bearings off the google map.

I plan on hitting the trail either tomorrow or this weekend.
mwilson7

Postby Apps » July 7th, 2009, 6:14 am

mwilson7 wrote:Just a newbie note but I was pulling up the directions off the Trail Guide to this location and noticed that your location marker on the google map is approx 1 mile further west than where the park is actually located. Not a big deal but thought I'd just mention it as it is confusing when you are trying to get your bearings off the google map.

I plan on hitting the trail either tomorrow or this weekend.

Thanks, I'll have to see if I can have someone from the board update it...I don't have that power yet.....

Keep an eye on the ride announcements forum...we may be getting out there tomorrow (Wed) for a group ride (no drop) that would really help any newbie find his way out there....

Justin
Apps

Postby mwilson7 » July 7th, 2009, 12:36 pm

That would be great! I'll just hang in the back and stay out of the way.

Reading through the notes and looking at the trail map it seems like it would be easy to take the wrong turn.
mwilson7

Postby MikeBl » July 8th, 2009, 8:01 pm

I had the pleasure to meet up with Justin and the rest of the gang Wed fo a spin around at Commerce. Nice group, thanks for letting me join in. Hope to see you again.
MikeBl

Postby mwilson7 » July 9th, 2009, 4:49 am

Unfortunately I got held up at work and was unable to attend. It's going to be at least 3 weeks before I can make another Wednesday afternoon ride.
mwilson7

Postby Bruck » July 10th, 2009, 6:15 am

Was riding last night and had to lock up the tires to avoid a deer. I have always seen deer out there, but I have never gotten that close.....

Trail is in great shape!
Bruck

Postby beesons » July 13th, 2009, 8:47 pm

I paid to much attention to the pointer on the map, and drove around around Proud Lake park for a while, my 5 yr old son and riding partner fell asleep in the car. I decided to just ride around some areas I knew within proud lake instead, the mosquitos almost carried us away.

Better luck next time I suppose. Hopefully I can talk my son into another adventure ride away from Maybury. I was really looking forward to trying another trail.
beesons

Postby fizgig » July 13th, 2009, 9:35 pm

this is the hickory glen section, proud lake is over here viewtopic.php?f=20&t=35497
fizgig

Postby beesons » July 14th, 2009, 11:37 am

Yes, I understand this is not the Proud Lake thread. Unfortunately, due to the map I was unable to find the Commerce trail. As I was not planning on riding Proud Lake designated Bike trail, I ended up just exploring other areas of the park.
beesons

Postby fizgig » July 24th, 2009, 1:24 pm

anyone been to HIckory Glen today? Thinking about going after work, supposed to drain well, just wondering what shape it's in.
fizgig

Postby FrankenFuel95 » July 24th, 2009, 1:33 pm

fizgig wrote:anyone been to HIckory Glen today? Thinking about going after work, supposed to drain well, just wondering what shape it's in.

You probably won't find any standing water and just a couple soft spots. That place is blessed with great drainage and great TC's.
FrankenFuel95

Postby Apps » July 24th, 2009, 1:59 pm

Welll....great drainage at least :)
Apps

Postby MO Speed » July 27th, 2009, 2:25 pm

I was looking at the map and saw there was a ridable bowl? What is it and is it still around? Map was from 2005ish.
MO Speed

Postby ibisman » July 27th, 2009, 4:20 pm

Rode three laps this morning and the trail was pretty good except for three or four small puddles. No downed trees, and very few face slappers.
ibisman

Postby Spinwheel » July 28th, 2009, 11:19 am

MO Speed wrote:I was looking at the map and saw there was a ridable bowl? What is it and is it still around? Map was from 2005ish.

I'm told there was a golf course at Hickory Glen decades ago. The ridable bowls are former golf course sand traps. You can spot these all over the Hick, and in some places, the tee boxes too.
Tim
TC, Hickory Glen Park - Commerce Twp.
Spinwheel

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions