MCMBA: Hickory Glen (Commerce)

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Metro South: Commerce

Postby Spinwheel » June 27th, 2009, 8:11 pm

Great rebuild on the DisneyLogpile - rides great and instills confidence. Thanks for the trailday..
TREE FARMERS ROCK!
Tim
TC, Hickory Glen Park - Commerce Twp.
Spinwheel

Postby steveracer » June 29th, 2009, 8:13 pm

This trail has been freshened up, trimmed, trail day'ed, and real fast to ride. This is the best that this trail has ever been in and is great riding. With the good chance of rain coming this way, this is a good choice to ride rather than tear up the others in the mud. Commerce drains well and all obstructions are cleared.

Commence to Commerce!
steveracer

Postby msujay1997 » July 2nd, 2009, 4:57 pm

Rode Commerce yesterday at 3:30...overall in great condition, might have gotten some sprinkles after we were done. Still got confused in the newer section after taking the first left after the floating bridge. You come down that short little steep section out onto the two-tracks, but I'm not sure if you are supposed to take the paved trail back over the bridge to connect back in OR take the trail before the bridge.

Thanks to those who worked the recent trail day...trail is in great condition and a blast to ride!
msujay1997

Postby steveracer » July 2nd, 2009, 7:27 pm

msujay1997 wrote: Still got confused in the newer section after taking the first left after the floating bridge. You come down that short little steep section out onto the two-tracks, but I'm not sure if you are supposed to take the paved trail back over the bridge to connect back in OR take the trail before the bridge.

Thanks to those who worked the recent trail day...trail is in great condition and a blast to ride!

msujay1997, next time you come down that steep section, roll along for a little bit and look to your left. There is a section that goes along Oakley Park road. That dumps out over the paved section to a twisty section with a few log crossings that will then dump out on that same paved section (exit is within feet of entrance of that leg). Then head back on the paved section, and just after you cross another bridge, turn left back on the single track and the trail is easy to follow. I hope this helps, and I think there is a map here somewhere.

Enjoy that trail, and often when it is too wet to ride the others!
steveracer

Postby ColorVoyeur » July 2nd, 2009, 8:45 pm

http://mmba.org/library/maps/hickorygle ... %20MAP.jpg

That far loop is my favorite! Great log piles, strange camber, some really cookey uphill turns... It's my favorite part!
ColorVoyeur

Postby zipzit » July 3rd, 2009, 5:24 pm

Wife and I rode Hickory Glen for first time today. Nice trail, no mud anywhere. In most places the trail is in great shape; its obvious that some folks put a lot of time in to improvements here. (Many thanks.) I had the trail map with me, but boy is it easy to get lost in places there. This trail definitely needs more of those yellow triangles posted to point the way. The biggest get lost spot was where the trail dumps you out near this small stream bed (with small pallet crossing) well after the cell phone tower, and there are like four trails going off in different directions. It was definitely not clear which way to go. HInt, hint, its probably time for a gps map redo. (Anybody got a google apps cell phone?)

I did see some deer and a rather large black snake 3 or 4' long during the ride.

The other thing that was noticable was this trail has more visible trash than any other in the entire metro Detroit area. Ugh.

Oh and one more thing.. on the map there is a spot clearly marked with a red star, labeled "____________ TTF" What is a "___________TTF" ?

zip.
zipzit

Postby Apps » July 3rd, 2009, 11:53 pm

TTF - Technical Trail Feature...the map needs updating...we know and it's on the to do list....

As far as visible trash...well...some of that has to do with proximity to the road in certain areas and others with trash that was buried coming to the surface....Contrary to popular belief, not all of Michigan's woods were always untouched...we've found barbed wire, mattress remnants (springs) and an aquarium buried out there in places....it's a never ending battle....

Justin
Co-TC The Hick
Apps

Postby Spinwheel » July 4th, 2009, 12:33 am

zipzit wrote: The biggest get lost spot was where the trail dumps you out near this small stream bed (with small pallet crossing) well after the cell phone tower, and there are like four trails going off in different directions. It was definitely not clear which way to go.

Go over the pallets and then right between the trees and follow from there..

That area is frequented by paint ball warriors and small wheeled bikes.. signs, tree arrows and carsonite ground markers have all been installed and vandalized.. that's why its so bleepin confusing in that area. Time for some 6x6 posts :P
Tim
Spinwheel

Postby ibisman » July 4th, 2009, 12:33 pm

Trail was great this morning but... who dumb'd down the log pile? The one that was around a down hill corner? Geez.
ibisman

Postby WallEyed » July 5th, 2009, 7:20 pm

See, that's what I don't get. When it was first built, that log pile was similar to how the rebuilt log pile is now. Easily rideable but challenging because of the turn, not the logs. Over time it broke down and got tougher to ride. So by rebuilding it to a state that is similar to the original intent of the log pile, it is somehow "dumbed down"? So there are really only two options to avoid this kind of criticism:

1) Build only pre-eroded log piles.
2) Allow all log piles to fall into a state of disrepair until they erode away and there is no pile left.

Someone always complains about trail maintenance.

Though, I wonder why I responded at all....
Dave Cox
Co-Trail Coordinator - Lakeshore Park
WallEyed

Postby froggyrider » July 5th, 2009, 7:23 pm

Right- those who complain are seldom, if ever, at trail days anyway. They think their voice seems stronger posting on aboard than actually participating in any trail advocacy events? Seems silly.
froggyrider

Location: I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy. Dorothy Parker

Postby ibisman » July 5th, 2009, 8:51 pm

You smart asses don't know what I do. All you do is talk. There are not 1 real log pile in lower Michigan. Get off your high horse mister know it all. Geez what a bunch of cry babies. And they wonder why people don't renew their membership. Can't even ask a question.Punks.
ibisman

Postby WallEyed » July 5th, 2009, 9:01 pm

All I do is talk? Hmmm, hundreds of hours of trail work must just be talk. Lol!

Keep on *beep*, it really is funny and entirely amusing!!
Dave Cox
Co-Trail Coordinator - Lakeshore Park
WallEyed

Postby Spinwheel » July 5th, 2009, 9:28 pm

froggyrider wrote:Right- those who complain are seldom, if ever, at trail days anyway. They think their voice seems stronger posting on aboard than actually participating in any trail advocacy events? Seems silly.

That's right. Its easy to post. Certainly easier than lifting a shovel.
Tim
Spinwheel

Postby Apps » July 6th, 2009, 7:38 pm

The log pile was listed as a feature to be rebuilt during the trail day so everyone had a chance to come and have their input...it turned out fine. The old condition had several loose logs on the back side which were going to cause someone to get hurt so we fixed it...and those I tasked with the job did it well...They've built many a great log pile at Novi (See Entrance of Crater Loop over downed tree). The front side is identical as it was before, only the back side was sured up to fix the loose logs that would roll out when people went over it....There was no concious effort to "dumb down" the trail ...just make a log pile that I wouldn't be out there fixing every week and hoping I don't get a call from the city to remove once someone breakls themselves....the challenge is still there...just the penalty for failure is less....once again, thanks to all who helped on the trail day....you can't please everyone all the time...

Justin
Apps

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions