MCMBA: Hickory Glen (Commerce)

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Metro South: Commerce

Postby mbmoehl » June 18th, 2009, 8:53 pm

I was going to check Commerce out tonight for the first time since i was told to avoid Lakeshore for a couple days after the rain...however coming from Ferndale and having to head back to RO i figured it be to far to get a decent ride in. I'd like to head out there on Saturday if it isn't raining and take my brother along. He's really new to mtb'n and two weeks ago at Island Lake wore him out. Can you guys describe Commerce and how it compares to places like Island Lake or Maybury or Stoney Creek. Is it hilly, twisty, fast etc.?

Thanks.
mbmoehl

Postby Loren » June 18th, 2009, 9:00 pm

More like Maybury than Island Lake. Tight, twisty, fun. Not as much climbing, and since several sections are loops off of the paved bike path there are many ways to shortcut/bail if he gets tired.
Loren

Postby Bruck » June 19th, 2009, 7:03 am

Rode last night at around 9:00...... it was getting dark, so I am not 100% sure,.. but I think I ran over a chipmunk.

R.I.P. Chip
Brother of Dale
Friend of Mickey, Minney, Donald and Goofy
Trouble maker
Not to be confused as a male dancer
Bruck

Postby daffunda » June 21st, 2009, 8:14 am

Anyone thought that when the trail spits you out onto the paved path, it gets confusing? How bout some pavement markings or signs along the pavement.
daffunda

Postby ibisman » June 21st, 2009, 11:15 am

?????? I'm a senior citizen, and I have no problem...... You must not be going fast enough. You have to much time to think which way to go.
ibisman

Postby ColorVoyeur » June 21st, 2009, 1:25 pm

Did two good laps this afternoon. A couple more wet spots than usual, but mostly quick riding. I did notice a couple leaners that I couldn't get under, unfortunatlly I did not have a hand saw in my pack.... and a couple loose sandy spots had some rough ruts in them... Also, the teater totter.... looks like the piece covering the fulcrum is damaged, and you can see some nails on the approach... be careful.
ColorVoyeur

Postby daffunda » June 21st, 2009, 2:51 pm

Last time I was there, the trail spit me out onto the pavement couple of times and I ended up biking on the paved path couple of times to find an another trail with small yellow arrows. It's not like you come out onto the paved path and the continuation is right on the other side of the path. Unless they changed it recently...

ibisman, you must have the "I'm a senior citizen but I will whip your azz you young people!" complex or something....
daffunda

Postby ibisman » June 21st, 2009, 5:32 pm

Its not a complex,,,,, it's what I do.
ibisman

Postby fizgig » June 22nd, 2009, 7:57 am

my wife and I went there yesterday morning, I agree, there are several confusing spots where the trails cross the 2 track and the paved trail. also, there's a spot deep in the woods where there's like a spaghetti bowl, what looks like the trail leads into a creek and it's kinda hard to tell if you're on the right path or going in the right direction.

The new part of the trail over the bridge is also quite a bit harder than the other side, giant logs, 90 degree turn into a sandy uphill, a downhill into a tree stump with another tree next to it so there's no room to get by it, etc.

great trail overall though, nice work on it, those little bowls are fun.
fizgig

Postby Apps » June 22nd, 2009, 1:18 pm

Signage is project that we do need to work on but the last TC had big issues with people breaking Carsonite signes or stealing them outright. We're probably going to end up with something a bit more like Novi when we're done.

As far as confusing....you should have ridden it when it was new :) At least now there's a track to follow in most places :) I'll try to think about doing comething temporarily in the bad spots (After the downhill where you're dumped on the paved path towards the floating bridge and at the river crossing probably)

I'm tentatively planning on a trimming day this Saturday...probably about 8:30-9am....for three or four hours. Bring Loppers and small hand saws. If you have a weed whacker we might be able to use that as well. I'm going to try and hit the trail for a ride on Wednesday to do some pre-work mapping of the issues....

Justin
Apps

Postby ColorVoyeur » June 22nd, 2009, 4:55 pm

Not sure what kind of tools I'll be able to round up, but I'll be there Saturday... unless work bends me over.
I was thinking about printing out some maps to tuck in the box, but I'll have to mess around w/the jpg to make it clear in B&W.

If you need a hand Wed night, shoot me a PM
I'll be the guy w/ a ugly skate helmet and an uglier Trek :) Oh, and 6 gorgeous slices on the back of my right calf from my last platform encounter at the Hick :)
ColorVoyeur

Postby Apps » June 23rd, 2009, 9:16 am

OK...it's on...This Saturday at 8:30 am....bring loppers or pruners...that'll be the majority of what we need. A shovel could be handy too if you end up on the log pile crew :)

Official Posting: http://mmba.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=90980

Justin
Apps

Postby Apps » June 24th, 2009, 1:28 pm

I'll be out there tonight....Green 29er with Orange Camel and Orange Helmet....hope to be there early but plan on riding a lap with friends (Team Tree Farm) at 6:30....will do some scouting for the trail day on Saturday...

Justin
Apps

Postby Bruck » June 24th, 2009, 1:37 pm

Becareful at the floating bridge.
The water is real high causing what would normally be a downward piece of cut wood to be be sticking up a bit.
Also, as mentioned before, the teeter-totter is out.
Bruck

Postby Apps » June 26th, 2009, 7:28 am

The Teeter needs lots of TLC. I disassembled it and laid the ramp so it blocks the line. It's going to take some rebuilding as it appears to have pulled apart and needs to be re-worked so it's safe again. WIll try and get it back to operational soon.....If someone wants to tackle this during the trail day tomorrow let me know and we can arrange it....

Justin
Apps

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions