MCMBA: Commerce - Hickory Glen

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

MCMBA: Commerce - Hickory Glen

Postby Todd Scott » March 22nd, 2004, 8:31 am

Post trail conditions and problem reports for the trails at Hickory Glen Park in Commerce Township
Last edited by Todd Scott on January 4th, 2007, 3:12 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Todd Scott

Sping Thaw - Commerce Township

Postby Spinwheel » March 25th, 2004, 3:52 pm

The Hickory Glen Park MTB trail will be generally ridable through the spring rainy reason due to excellent soil drainage and (young) age of the trail.

The parking lot however, is another matter.. watch your step !

Tim Slabach
Trail Coordinator
Spinwheel

Postby Shanman » March 27th, 2004, 6:44 pm

Rode it today with Dave Cox, Tim is right Commerce drains really well.

Even after the rain all day Friday Commerce was nearly dry and very rideable.
Shanman

Postby Mr. Bojangles » April 5th, 2004, 7:31 pm

I rode the trail for the first time tonight April 5, 2004. This trail is really fun, and a good course for starters. My only concerns are that this trail needs a ton of work. Baby heads are everywhere, and needs a good raking. I will be more than happy to do some trail work. Email me at ccsderek@hotmail.com to let me know what I can do and when I can do it. This trail is really fun, espically the stunts. THIS TRAIL HAS SO MUCH POTENTIAL. Although I had a blast on this miniature version of pontiac/novi, I had a rough time figuring out where I was going. I would be more than happy to assist in putting up more arrows and better yet blocking off the potential hazzy spots where I was lost. Sorry for the rant, but I want this trail to last a long time. Also is there a way to get from this trail to novi by a bike path or dirt path. peace.
Bloomer Trail Coordinator
Mr. Bojangles

Postby Shanman » April 5th, 2004, 7:56 pm

Mr. B,

Glad you like it. We plan to finish it this summer, but we aren't sure of trail day dates. Keep checking the BB.

Yes there is a partly bike path way to get from the Tree Farm (Lakeshore Park) to Hickory Glen. Go east around the Walled Lake to 14 mile to Decker. Take Decker to South Commerce turn right and go to Glengary and turn left and the park will be on the right about 1/2 mile west of S. Commerce. It's about half road and half paved bike path.
Shanman

Postby Diesel » April 5th, 2004, 10:18 pm

Mr. Bojangles wrote:...Although I had a blast on this miniature version of pontiac/novi, I had a rough time figuring out where I was going...

I had this same problem at Hickory Glen last fall. It took me about three times riding it to find the whole trail. In fact, my first time out there I found so little of the trail that I slammed it on this board and almost never went back!!! The only reason that I did go back was because I had to figure that there was NO WAY that what I rode could be the real trail. Glad I did go back...it has real potential. I'll be happy to show anyone the trail if they want, now that I know it all.
W.W.M.D.D.
What would Matt Damon do???

www.teamsandbag.com
Diesel

Postby Spinwheel » April 7th, 2004, 10:07 pm

Sub22 wrote:
Mr. Bojangles wrote:...Although I had a blast on this miniature version of pontiac/novi, I had a rough time figuring out where I was going...

I had this same problem at Hickory Glen last fall. It took me about three times riding it to find the whole trail.

Happy to hear your checking it out... we have a problem keeping signs in place where they need to be... at intersections with the paved bike-path and at intersections with the 'established two track'... it seems that some folks either don't care to have an MTB trail in the park or have nothing better to do than steal signage and flags that mark the trail.. markers will continue to be placed in these areas ( arrows on trees and yellow or orange flags on the ground) to mark the path ... whether or not they remain in place in out my control. As for the need for raking.... go for it or keep a watch on the Advocacy board for a trailday in the near future. I appreciate your posts, comments and any help you care to offer. And I agree, there is much potential at HGP and other spots in Commerce that will be tapped in the furture.

Also, the pungie sticks are high on the list to remove and we'll get to those this spring .. in the meantime keep a spare tube in your toolbox... that reminds me, I just used my last one and need to buy another :x

Mr Bojangles - I will email you about the next commerce trailday..

Spinwheel
Spinwheel

Postby Todd Scott » April 8th, 2004, 8:28 am

Unfortunately the trail bridge at Commerce was vandalized/stolen. We're making plans to replace it.
Todd Scott

Postby scat silvurz » April 8th, 2004, 10:26 pm

tim, I don't know if you would want to do this, but when we origionally laid out the novi 1.0 trail [back in 1996], we used a can of orange spray paint and spritzed a tiny orange dot on select trees, to mark the trail. You can still see a dot or two on trees that the city or sandstone didn't cut down.

It may not be aesthetically correct to do so these days, but it may be an option you may want to use while the NIMBY yahoos are still getting kicks out of ripping off your trail markers....
Five fingers, three chords, and one *beep*.....!
scat silvurz

Postby Spinwheel » April 23rd, 2004, 9:14 pm

Todd Scott wrote:Unfortunately the trail bridge at Commerce was vandalized/stolen. We're making plans to replace it.

The bridge has been replaced and grooming on the last section by the football field is nearly complete. Look for and trailday soon...

Also, tree down at approx. 5 mile marker - please leave it in place - plans and pending approvals are in the works to build a ramp over it. Thanks :)
Spinwheel

Postby sumoe » April 25th, 2004, 9:58 pm

Rode it on Friday...had a great time! Very dry, and packed much better than last year. Needs some signs replaced....needs to have a good trail day for glass to be removed from the trail...but otherwise a lot of fun! Suggestion from friend...change the little 2x4 over the log to something wider...
There is nothing wrong with the world that a bicycle cannot fix...
sumoe

Postby Spinwheel » April 26th, 2004, 8:30 pm

sumoe wrote:Rode it on Friday...had a great time! Very dry, and packed much better than last year. Needs some signs replaced....needs to have a good trail day for glass to be removed from the trail...but otherwise a lot of fun! Suggestion from friend...change the little 2x4 over the log to something wider...

Cool!.........the friend who installed the ramp told me it was a 2x6...but your point is taken and thanks for the feedback. Did you test out the 4 wheeler-rut-center-berm on the western section? It now sports a downed tree so prentend you're a cyclo-cross dude-et and dismount for a flying leap with the bike over it. Or as Skat demostrated on Saturday 8) - just bunny hop it! Do ya think the guy on the motorbike can do that too :P
By the way - I can supply a really strong garbage bag for that glass you mentioned :D
Spinwheel

Postby sumoe » April 27th, 2004, 8:19 am

Didn't go in the cyclocross section. Also didn't do the east loop, I thought it might still need more work.

Say, we were thinking about having a triple trail day this summer....Hickory Glen, Novi, and Maybury all in one day! What do you think?
There is nothing wrong with the world that a bicycle cannot fix...
sumoe

Tree down

Postby Roy » April 29th, 2004, 6:44 pm

There is a Tree down. It is in the second section after you come back from over the floating bridge. It is in one off the last sections we built last year.
The rest of the trail needs riders.
Roy

Postby Spinwheel » April 30th, 2004, 9:53 pm

Say, we were thinking about having a triple trail day this summer....Hickory Glen, Novi, and Maybury all in one day! What do you think?[/quote]

Sounds good, can we cook-out afterwards?
Spinwheel

Next

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments