MCMBA: Novi

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: MCMBA: Novi

Postby GHamilton » March 17th, 2015, 2:11 pm

Noticed that no one has commented here for awhile so decided to go for a walk at the farm. Main lot was surprisingly not very wet. Walking out to the trailhead on the grass was a challenge due to the deer and dog land mines. Trailhead lot was fairly dry. The horror of the entrance to the trails is indescribable.
Obviously these riders don't visit this site at all. Almost turned around and went back to my van but decided since I was already here to walk in further. The two track is in horrible muddy shape with tire tracks easily 2-3 inches deep. One looks like it could be from a cyclocross bike it was so thin. Ventured over to the single track and saw that there was very little if any sign of activity there although there is still a good thickness of ice on it. If it was frozen I don't think even studded tires would help much. Walked on on the two track and noticed that a lot of the branches on the trees near the edge have beed trimmed off of their trunks. Safety measure for access by emergency vehicles, perhaps.Noticed that all the stumps at that spot near all the painted stuff has been rearranged. Anyone know why? Got back to the pump track and Mike was hard at it already, repairing some goofballs foray on to the track. Talked with him awhile and moved on over to the downhill in the back and back to the van. I'm thinking that until the ice is gone from Walled Lake I won't even think of going back.

Gordon
GHamilton

Postby Loren » March 17th, 2015, 3:33 pm

Thanks for the update!
Loren

MCMBA: Novi

Postby oldkhs » March 18th, 2015, 1:00 pm

I'm hoping to take a <10 year old here when it warms up to try the sport out. Fingers crossed.....

I'm not super familiar with the trail, but have the trail map, can someone advise on what single track may be best for a beginner? Maybe a 3-4 mile and 5-6 mile loop. I want to skip the steeper ups and downs.

Or, if there is a better "starting" location for the sport nearby.

I'm right by PLRA, but that isn't what I need for the kid....

Thanks
oldkhs

Postby Loren » March 18th, 2015, 1:22 pm

Sure. I would suggest skipping expert, doing 754 (fun bridges, high probability of seeing deer), crater, swamp, and then two track to skunks for the pump track. About 5 miles, mostly easy and fun parts.
Loren

Postby oldkhs » March 18th, 2015, 1:34 pm

Very nice, thanks.
oldkhs

Postby glendono » March 23rd, 2015, 11:43 am

Anyone been out on the trail recently? Rideable on a fatbike?
glendono

Postby GHamilton » March 23rd, 2015, 2:05 pm

Don't think its gotten much better since my last post. It is only March after all. I'm thinking mid April. Maybe.

Gordon
GHamilton

Postby steveracer » March 23rd, 2015, 2:11 pm

Glendono- only if ground is fully frozen and before around 9 am would I personally even think of riding this trail. Watch the temps to be below 28 or so for some duration at night and take into account the heat from the sun in the morning. Otherwise it will be several weeks or so for the frost to exit the ground. Worms are a positive sign.

#lb
Hope is not a good strategy.
steveracer

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments