MCMBA: Novi

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: MCMBA: Novi

Postby Loren » January 29th, 2015, 9:40 am

Trail's edge.

Over 30 degrees, I ride with bare hands. Over 20 degrees, I use summer riding gloves.
Loren

Postby ibisman » January 29th, 2015, 10:02 am

I use a mismatched pair of ski gloves (don't know where the other two are), from REI. they are so old (like my windfront tights) that I have to keep sewing them up.
Martyrs or marines
who do you think gets,,
the virgins?
USMC 1968-1972
31,489 total trail miles since 2002
TRAIL Miles for 2014--1809.9-. 2015 fatbike--:289.miles
Co-trail coordinator Lakeview drive /Hines drive trails
ibisman

Postby jreyst » January 29th, 2015, 10:11 am

I ended up ordering a pair of the bar mitts along with some other stuff I've been needing for a while just now. I don't have a signal whistle in my camelbak and I ride solo 99% of the time and at night 10-20% of the time so I figure the whistle's a good plan. I also ordered a pair of neoprene toe covers that go under or over your socks (inside the shoe) since they had good reviews. I already have outer toe covers that slip over the shoe tips as well as complete booties. I tried the booties plus the chem pack toe warmers but the chemical warmers didn't seem to do much when combined with the booties. Someone told me that they need air to activate properly and the booties prevent them from warming up much. So we'll see how the neoprene toe covers combined with standard shoes plus outer toe covers work on my next ride.
--
John Reyst
Primary: 2007 Giant Trance (1x10)
Backup: 2013 Fezzari Wiki Peak
First Bike: 2004 Gary Fisher Cake
jreyst

Postby barry007 » January 29th, 2015, 7:07 pm

i was out there last week when the atv dude came flying in from 12.5 mile entrance. it looked like he was just ahead of us fatties and even hit the pump track. good to know the police are interested.

@loren - can you put up signs with the number and what to do if you see this dude.
"You can't be defeated if you're still Fighting"
barry007

Postby KLydesdale » January 29th, 2015, 7:21 pm

jreyst wrote:I don't have a signal whistle in my camelbak and I ride solo 99% of the time and at night 10-20% of the time so I figure the whistle's a good plan.

Don't just have a whistle in your camelbak, put one ON your camelbak where you can easily get to it.

http://www.strapworks.com/Side_Release_ ... bsa34w.htm

I can attest from personal experience that in an emergency situation, you may end up in a position where you may not be able to get anything out of your pack.
KLydesdale

Postby plaindave » February 1st, 2015, 8:36 am

Just finished a loop at 830. Beat ride ever. Probably won't be that good in a couple hours though.
"You can't be a Real Country unless you have a beer and an airline-it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer."

-- Frank Zappa
plaindave

Postby plaindave » February 4th, 2015, 9:43 pm

Got out tonight with snowshoes and packed down the first two miles of the trail. We were the first people on the trail since the snow Sunday. I apologize as my headlamp died and we wandered off the trail a bit. But we tried.
"You can't be a Real Country unless you have a beer and an airline-it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer."

-- Frank Zappa
plaindave

Postby Negotiator50 » February 8th, 2015, 8:43 am

Was out there Friday. I couldn't even get to the trail head to see if it was rideable. Don't bother here until the park comes up with a better plan for the trails in the winter.
Negotiator50

Postby GreeneRob » February 9th, 2015, 9:25 am

Negotiator50 wrote:Was out there Friday. I couldn't even get to the trail head to see if it was rideable. Don't bother here until the park comes up with a better plan for the trails in the winter.

Why couldn't you get to the trail head, didn't feel like hoofing it or God forbid riding there?
Last edited by GreeneRob on February 9th, 2015, 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GreeneRob

Postby Ea » February 9th, 2015, 9:37 am

I went hiking there yesterday morning and had no trouble getting to the trail head. The upper lot is plowed and the lower lot is closed as it always is during the winter. There is a path to the trail head which is packed powder. If you can't ride your bike on the packed powder, you will not be able to ride the trail. The double track is packed down but I can't speak for all the other sections. Limey's Loop is good but that's as far as I went.
Andrea
Ea

Postby jreyst » February 9th, 2015, 12:57 pm

And you can always get in via 12 1/2 mile entrance lol
--
John Reyst
jreyst

Postby Negotiator50 » February 9th, 2015, 3:55 pm

GreeneRob wrote:
Negotiator50 wrote:Was out there Friday. I couldn't even get to the trail head to see if it was rideable. Don't bother here until the park comes up with a better plan for the trails in the winter.

Why couldn't you get to the trail head, didn't feel like hoofing it or God forbid riding there?

At the time, there was only a small set of tracks that were packed down. I had trouble staying within those tracks. As soon as I veered off of them, I couldn't peddle through the deep loose snow. I could have walked the bike to the trailhead, but i figured that the trail was going to be similar to the locked drive and parking area.
Negotiator50

Postby Oli » February 12th, 2015, 7:38 pm

Tried Lakeshore last night. Rode a few miles on the packed trails but most of the singletrack was not packed at all and too much for my skinny tires (and legs). Need some fatbikes to get out there.
Oli

Postby jreyst » February 12th, 2015, 8:06 pm

Thanks for the report Oli! I was considering going there tomorrow on my skinny but was wondering how it was. Guess I'll stick with Bald Mountain or River Bends for a bit until Tree Farm gets some more action. It's too bad since I haven't been to the farm in a while and I'm missing it.
--
John Reyst
jreyst

Postby jreyst » February 15th, 2015, 5:32 pm

I ended up in the neighborhood of the Tree Farm so I thought I'd give it a go yesterday. Ugh. Bad idea. The single track was completely unrideable on my skinny. The two track was ok but not much of a work out. Oh well. Guess I'll hit Maybury or Island Lake tomorrow. Board reports sound good for those.
--
John Reyst
jreyst

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments