MCMBA: Lakeshore Park (Novi)

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Metro South: Novi

Postby ramiam764 » January 9th, 2011, 6:14 pm

Outstanding conditions at Tree Farm today. Had no problems, using Kenda Klondike XT tires. Very peaceful, quiet and a absolute blast. Here are a few pics take w/cell phone
http://www.flickr.com/photos/17386550@N ... 661454839/
ramiam764

Postby drbrockenshire » January 9th, 2011, 10:46 pm

Lakshore was picture perfect today. Running a 1 X 9 with a 46 X 12-34 and rolled everything smooth. It's gotta be the warmest trail around out of the wind. I hope EVERYONE gets on it and keeps it awesome all winter. Thanks to the Pugsly tire tracks on the pump track for keeping it real.
drbrockenshire

Postby Steve_Balogh » January 10th, 2011, 8:09 pm

drbrockenshire wrote:Lakshore was picture perfect today. Running a 1 X 9 with a 46 X 12-34 and rolled everything smooth. It's gotta be the warmest trail around out of the wind. I hope EVERYONE gets on it and keeps it awesome all winter. Thanks to the Pugsly tire tracks on the pump track for keeping it real.

That would be me on the pump track from Saturday. There was one set of tracks on there before me. Couldn't resist. My Fatbike is also 1X9. It was amazing how much speed I got out past the first bridge in the open areas. No ice at all.
Steve_Balogh

Postby root boy » January 13th, 2011, 4:40 pm

Rode Novi yesterday. Let's just say it wasnt pretty. It was probably the slowest lap with the highest effort ever. I would recommend waiting til it freezes up some
2005 Stumpjumper
2010 Anthem X1
2010 Niner MCR singlespeed
2005 26 Monocog
root boy

Postby Loren » January 13th, 2011, 5:02 pm

We need the fat tire guys to ride a few laps for us mortals...
Loren

Postby Sherpaboy » January 13th, 2011, 6:35 pm

DunDunDun....

Super Fatties a call to rescue these mortal trails....

:-)
Mike AKA Sherpaboy
Sherpaboy

Postby Steve_Balogh » January 13th, 2011, 10:24 pm

It's up to the "Master of Pugsley's" to get some out there, I'm off to the Fatbike Enduro race at the Kettle Moraines Wi. I have Monday off though.
Steve_Balogh

Postby dvandeneede » January 14th, 2011, 7:50 am

Tried to ride Thursday evening and could not even make to the expert loop before turning back. So we went hiking and saw a widow maker on the final mile of the trail (about 1/4 mile past the nine mile marker). You can see it from the walking trail. It is the upper part of a large fallen tree. A chainsaw will be needed.
dvandeneede

Postby paper » January 14th, 2011, 10:39 pm

Guys, I have some dumb questions for the winter riders.....You don't ride clipped in do you ? Do you run special tires? Is there mud or ice on the trail? What's it like on the steepest parts of the trail, like Expert? :?
paper

Postby utabintarbo » January 14th, 2011, 10:47 pm

paper wrote:Guys, I have some dumb questions for the winter riders.....You don't ride clipped in do you ? Do you run special tires? Is there mud or ice on the trail? What's it like on the steepest parts of the trail, like Expert? :?

Yes. Either studded or fat. Yes, but mostly ice. Steep and difficult.

HTH. :D
Addison Oaks TC

Current quiver

Impulse control fails me. ;)
utabintarbo

Postby Loren » January 14th, 2011, 10:53 pm

Clipped in? It's a personal preference. Some do, some don't. Personally, I use platforms so I can use normal winter hiking boots.

Tires really depend on the condition. If it's at all icy, I run studded tires (nokian extreme) which stick very well. But if it's mostly snow, I just run a normal, wide mtb tire with deep knobbies like the WTB timberwolf. It's generally best to run pretty low pressures in the snow to increase footprint and grip. You'd probably be fine with normal tires on days like today.

This time of year, you aren't going to have any mud or slush unless you have several days above freezing. It's just snow and ice.

You won't always be able to climb all the hills in all conditions - it's totally acceptable winter form to dismount for hills. I've found I can make it up most everything if I gear way down and spin up the hills while seated, to keep most of my weight on the rear tire.
Loren

Postby c0nsumer » January 14th, 2011, 10:59 pm

paper wrote:Guys, I have some dumb questions for the winter riders.....You don't ride clipped in do you ? Do you run special tires? Is there mud or ice on the trail? What's it like on the steepest parts of the trail, like Expert? :?

Personally, I always ride clipped in during winter. To me it's it's no different than riding in slick stuff, and putting a foot down isn't hard. It's also generally rather soft when you fall because you're going slow and the trail is snow covered. (If it's not snow covered and just frozen riding is like late-summer hard pack and rather wonderful.)

I use Nokian studded tires in winter because they are knobby enough to grab well in snow and studded to let me ride across ice. If it was just snow I'd use any tire good for snow, and if there's just a little bit of snow (1/2" or less) a springtime / loose soil tire is good.
Steve Vigneau

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby Roy » January 15th, 2011, 8:00 am

If you snow ride with the older style clippless pedals It can become very frustrating as the ice builds up on your clips and on the pedal. Any pedal good for mud will work. Egg Beaters work best. With Egg Beaters I have found myself upside down in a snow bank and unable to unclip because of the 8 degree float.
So to avoid constant banging your feet on the pedals (to break the ice), change out the pedals to a good open design.

Novi in the dark, with 2 or 3 inches of snow, and with lights is great. That section in the pines gets down right spooky.

Roy
Roy

Postby ibisman » January 15th, 2011, 9:51 am

Clipped in (eggbeater platforms), and Nokian 292's on the rear and homemade studs on the front. (nokians don't work that well on glare ice).Image
Martyrs or marines
who do you think gets,,
the virgins?
USMC 1968-1972
32,845.5 total trail miles since 2002
TRAIL Miles for 2014--1809.9-. 2015 fatbike trail miles--:1416
2016 miles..... 228 1/2 :)

Co-trail coordinator Lakeview drive /Hines drive trails
ibisman

Postby Steve_Balogh » January 17th, 2011, 9:01 pm

Rode a few section with Utabintarbo on our Fatbikes. I had some issues with the flat sections with heavy foot traffic, had to let some air out of my rear tire. Quite a workout, was tough to climb hills today. Out across the bridges back by the homes I slipped off the trail and fell into the brush. The "Star Wars" section was pretty good going though, and many areas under pines were pretty good too.

Note to Bob and other Fatbikers: I reversed the rear Larry tire afterwards at Morton Taylor. Doing so in current conditions does help give a little extra traction to keep the bike going straight, but does not do too much for climbing traction.
Steve_Balogh

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions