MCMBA: Novi

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: MCMBA: Novi

Postby GHamilton » August 22nd, 2014, 10:01 am

GreeneRob wrote:Probably too wet from last night?

We got a lot of rain in the area so yeah, I'd give it a day or two to dry out.

Gordon
GHamilton

Postby Rojallad » August 24th, 2014, 1:41 pm

Trail is in good shape. Few mushy spots nothing too bad.
Rojallad

Postby GHamilton » August 25th, 2014, 7:58 pm

Rode yesterday and noticed some shortcuts being used to avoid some turns. What's the rule of thumb for this? Should the reroutes be blocked?
Gordon
GHamilton

Postby Sortaslow » August 25th, 2014, 8:26 pm

desk_jockey wrote:
vette-ss wrote:Trail was great and ditto the pine mentioned above. Also keep an eye out around the 12-1/2 mile parking spot. Wife and I finished late under the lights; when we got back to the car she asked me if I had the keys because it looked like someone had popped our gas door open searching.....sometimes I put them there. I'm fairly certain our car was about 5 gallons lighter on fuel than when we parked as we had just filled it up. If you see someone walking in the area with a gas can give them the finger for me. Hopefully a fellow biker wouldn't do something like this....

This is scary because I always park at 12.5 mile and leave my keys in the gas cap. Dang.

Oh really? What kinda car you got?
Sortaslow

Postby Loren » August 25th, 2014, 8:27 pm

GHamilton wrote:Rode yesterday and noticed some shortcuts being used to avoid some turns. What's the rule of thumb for this? Should the reroutes be blocked?
Gordon

Yes, please.
Loren

Postby Dirtdevil » August 25th, 2014, 8:44 pm

Widow-maker on lost loop just after you take the sharp left next to the creek. Sneaks up on you so heads-up!

On a side note, a friend we were riding with tonight crashed & broke her ankle-not far after the first bridge crossing when you finish the expert loop. EMS was called, but it took them a very long time to get to her in the woods, even though we were biking in front of them & leading the way. Problem was that all they had was a full-sized pick-up truck & they had difficulty navigating through some of the tight areas of the trail. I was rather shocked that they didn't have a 4-wheeler that they could drive back there in order to expedite the rescue. She had to be carried out on a backboard, the endure the slow roll back through the woods in the pick-up. Thank God for good drugs. Not only was it difficult to drive the truck through the woods, there wasn't any directional (think GPS) markers that could help them locate her. Thankfully we were group riding so we had enough folks to stay with her & a couple to meet the EMS folks. It was evident that while waiting for the rescue she was starting to go into shock. Shock kills. I'd hate to think of what would happen if someone had a heart-attack or stroke while out enjoying the trail-when time is of the essence. When we mentioned this to the EMS personnel, they said that the fire chief isn't aware of how heavily used the trail system is. I find this hard to believe, especially given the MMBA's relationship with the city as well as all of the other rescues that I know have happened on the trail.

:twisted:
Dirtdevil

Postby Loren » August 25th, 2014, 9:11 pm

Thanks for the update.
Loren

Postby GHamilton » August 26th, 2014, 9:09 am

Dirtdevil wrote:Widow-maker on lost loop just after you take the sharp left next to the creek. Sneaks up on you so heads-up!

On a side note, a friend we were riding with tonight crashed & broke her ankle-not far after the first bridge crossing when you finish the expert loop. EMS was called, but it took them a very long time to get to her in the woods, even though we were biking in front of them & leading the way. Problem was that all they had was a full-sized pick-up truck & they had difficulty navigating through some of the tight areas of the trail. I was rather shocked that they didn't have a 4-wheeler that they could drive back there in order to expedite the rescue. She had to be carried out on a backboard, the endure the slow roll back through the woods in the pick-up. Thank God for good drugs. Not only was it difficult to drive the truck through the woods, there wasn't any directional (think GPS) markers that could help them locate her. Thankfully we were group riding so we had enough folks to stay with her & a couple to meet the EMS folks. It was evident that while waiting for the rescue she was starting to go into shock. Shock kills. I'd hate to think of what would happen if someone had a heart-attack or stroke while out enjoying the trail-when time is of the essence. When we mentioned this to the EMS personnel, they said that the fire chief isn't aware of how heavily used the trail system is. I find this hard to believe, especially given the MMBA's relationship with the city as well as all of the other rescues that I know have happened on the trail.

:twisted:

Good thing your group was familiar with the whole trail system out there. I usually stop to ask people if they're alright or lost when I see them looking at the trail maps posted throughout the park. 90% of them don't know where they are or how to get back to wherever that parked their car. Everyone owes it to themselves to know where they are and the quickest way back to where they parked. Take an extra twenty minutes and explore the two track throughout the park. I've taken to doing this as a warmup to the bike trail. It also enables me to jump into the trail at different spots. Sometimes you just don't feel like doing the pines.

Gordon
GHamilton

Postby Loren » August 26th, 2014, 10:44 am

The aforementioned widow-maker has been cleared.
Loren

Postby FlintMITropics » August 26th, 2014, 3:36 pm

That's horrible to hear the story about the girl. Really glad to hear she's alright. I don't know about any of you, but I carry a few things with me when I ride in case of emergencies. Besides a tube and tire irons, I carry a few things you might find useful, listed below.

-I carry a small whistle that I can blow on in case I get hurt and can't move. The whistle will travel much further through the woods and use less energy than yelling for help.

-I have a paracord bracelet on my frame and a multi tool also, in case I might need to splint something or make a sling for someone, or myself.

-I put my drivers license and insurance card in my saddle bag as well. In case I get knocked out and someone finds me, they'll be able to tell who I am.

-Last, I don't keep a password on my phone so if someone finds me they'll be able to access my emergency contacts and the GPS on my maps app or Strava.

I'd love to hear whatever you all keep on you in case of emergencies as well.
I use platform pedals because I have a tendency of going over the handlebars.
FlintMITropics

Postby berto2cj » August 27th, 2014, 11:46 am

FlintMITropics wrote:That's horrible to hear the story about the girl. Really glad to hear she's alright. I don't know about any of you, but I carry a few things with me when I ride in case of emergencies. Besides a tube and tire irons, I carry a few things you might find useful, listed below.

-I carry a small whistle that I can blow on in case I get hurt and can't move. The whistle will travel much further through the woods and use less energy than yelling for help.

-I have a paracord bracelet on my frame and a multi tool also, in case I might need to splint something or make a sling for someone, or myself.

-I put my drivers license and insurance card in my saddle bag as well. In case I get knocked out and someone finds me, they'll be able to tell who I am.

-Last, I don't keep a password on my phone so if someone finds me they'll be able to access my emergency contacts and the GPS on my maps app or Strava.

I'd love to hear whatever you all keep on you in case of emergencies as well.

You gave me some good ideas that I will take on myself. I use a road ID when not racing that has my wifes name & number on it to avoid the phone/password issue. It also has my insurance number on it just in case paramedics think wallet first.

The more cautious out there may want to look at icedots - especially if you ride alone. https://icedot.org/site/

it works with your phone - if you crash a 5 min countdown will start on the app. If you don't respond to the app it will automatically call your emergency contact.
KLM / Cold Stone

2012 Trek XCal 29er
2012 Trek Madone 3.1
2014 Redline Conquest CX

Mileage:
-2011: 702.8
-2012: 3,868.31
-2013: 6,025.06
-2014: 5,905.05 as of 11/2

2012 Iceman: 2:44 (broken chain)
2013 Iceman: 2:22
2014 Iceman: DNF
berto2cj

Postby GHamilton » August 27th, 2014, 5:43 pm

Just got back. First section was okay with the usual wet spots and little puddles. Didn't do the first expert loop. Connector two track to the first bridge was okay with some deadfall and leaves. First bridge seems to have collapsed somewhat after the two humps. Next section was wet and puddly in the usual places. Lost loop was okay. Good ride until after the crater where it started to get wetter with more puddles. Bailed to the two track after the bridge and rode the relay route around the park without going on the single track. I don't know if the volunteers are responsible for this part of the park but there is a leaner over the downhill that will clip someones camelback as they duck under it. Main two track has the usual big mud puddles. Tomorrow should be better.

Gordon
GHamilton

Postby Loren » August 27th, 2014, 7:44 pm

Which downhill?
Loren

Postby GHamilton » August 27th, 2014, 8:16 pm

Loren wrote:Which downhill?

The long one abutting the homes east of the pump track.

Gordon
GHamilton

Postby IronMike » August 27th, 2014, 8:26 pm

Yep, that's the downhill I thought of when I read "the downhill".
IronMike

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments