MCMBA: Lakeshore Park (Novi)

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: MCMBA: Novi

Postby Negotiator50 » February 22nd, 2016, 3:02 pm

jreyst wrote:33 degrees after several days with no snow or precipitation at all after a few warm days. Has the mud dried up/firmed up enough for a skinny this afternoon?

Highly doubt it. I rode island lake Saturday morning on a fat bike and it was nowhere near ready for skinny tires.
Negotiator50

Postby vas » March 23rd, 2016, 10:42 am

wow.. I have not had the nipples break off like that... usually the spoke breaks. interesting...
vas

Postby c0nsumer » March 30th, 2016, 1:48 pm

santaclausersolo wrote:Don't improve your riding so you can navigate that turn better and make the trail flow better, just take the turn out so it suits your riding better. Up next we'll remove the rollers from the pump track so it will be smoother and easier to pedal laps around.

steveracer wrote:Santa I am with you on that pump track. It is way too rollerey and crazy weird and should be more level as I could go faster around there without the rollers. And there is one left hand turn or dogleg on the pumps track that is out of character with the right handlers. Almost fell off my bars there.

Funny to hear the pump track brought up as an example of this, because it's a perfect example of the continuous refinement that I'm calling for: tweaking of lines until it rides really well.

For those of you who have been around the Tree Farm for a really long time: what is the reason these corners were designed and built as they are?
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby Loren » March 30th, 2016, 1:53 pm

Tree cleared in lost loop. Thanks to whomever pushed it mostly off the trail - hope you were wearing gloves with all that poison ivy on it.
---------------------
Thanks for the trail feedback. As others have pointed out, we are blessed with a great diversity of trails in our chapter. Island Lake is not Highland is not Hickory Glenn is not the Farm. Each has their own defined character, and maintaining that diversity of experience is important to us, even incorporated in our mission statement. The unexpected is sometimes a good thing.

That said, I agree there's opportunities for improvement in those two areas. No idea as to why they are the way they are - they predate my involvement - but we've worked to maintain them as is so far. Let's look at the easy one first, the knuckle in Maru's way before the pump track:

The current tight corner doesn't bother me, but I'm cool with making an interesting log pile as an alternate line here, inside of the apex tree, allowing for a smoother curve. That would be entirely within the character of the trail. A foot or so high, relatively smooth, and cambered. Log piles on corners are tricky - we have only one other that is in an advanced section before the crater - and it would need to be thoughtfully built. We'd have to import the logs from elsewhere in the park - there's nothing in the area that would last a year - but we could do that.

The other case in lost loop requires more thought. As surmised, the knuckle is a speed bump, forcing riders to radically scrub speed before the river approach. We know it's awkward, it's not a favorite with fast riders, but it does work to keep most of us dry. If we lose that, we'd need a different control strategy.

As an aside, I'd love to completely re-do the whole section between the road crossing and the river approach. That's one of the fastest sections of the trail, coming down the hill, across the old abandoned access road, and down another hill into a tiny berm. There's so much potential - I played with a tiny lip on that road crossing that was a lot like the crater and ever so much fun, but landing was too sketchy at speed, (4 foot drop to flat and you better be ready for an immediate hard 90 degree left). With enough energy, one could build a large flowing 120 degree berm at the bottom of that hill that could handle the speed and direct you into another berm on the access road embankment, and then a series of decreasing radius corners ending near the river, with most of the speed gradually scrubbed along the way.

Let's keep thinking about it.
Loren

Re: MCMBA: Lakeshore Park (Novi)

Postby Flexo » September 11th, 2016, 8:19 pm

I only did the first 6 miles of the trail as it was my first time ever on a single track. Only a few wet areas nothing major.
Flexo

Postby vas » December 10th, 2016, 2:17 pm

Good conditions this morning (assuming you have the right clothing!). A couple of leaners but nothing too bad!
vas

Postby bheldke » December 13th, 2016, 9:20 am

Has anyone been on the trail since the snow this weekend?
bheldke

Postby bheldke » December 14th, 2016, 3:29 pm

I'll answer my own question then. I went. I connected the dots for a while on the mountain bike trail (footprints in pretty deep snow) and that was fun for about a mile so I just did the main trail in the middle where the skiers go.
bheldke

Postby CFH » December 14th, 2016, 3:37 pm

Thanks for checking back... I thought about going after work. Did you ride a fat bike?
CFH

Postby baconlegs » December 17th, 2016, 1:16 pm

How's the trail now? Would it be frowned upon to ride on it with a skinny tired MTB?
baconlegs

Postby eatworksleepdie » January 15th, 2017, 10:20 pm

I rode the trail on 1-14-17. It was about 70% clear of ice. Another 20% sticky, rideable ice where the dirt was mixed in, pretty grippy. The other 10% was more slick, but still rideable as long as you're careful. Studded tires would be best, but I rode no studs on a fat bike and didn't walk anything.
Some see things as they are & ask why... Some dream of things that never were & ask why not?!
Racing Greyhounds
eatworksleepdie

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions