MCMBA: Novi

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: MCMBA: Novi

Postby Ti_fighter » December 15th, 2013, 10:45 pm

Slogged through 5 miles today, mostly ploughing virgin powder on my fatty. Any uphil gradient was virtually impossible and even flat surfaces were granny gear grinds.
A workout, but not exactly fun. I'll give it a few days for some other folks to do some compacting too.
2009 Motobecane Fantom Team 26FS
2014 Motobecane Fly Team Ti 29HT
Ti_fighter

Postby tjdog800 » December 19th, 2013, 10:14 am

Did about 4 miles on the trail off of the 12.5 mile entrance with two other fatties.
The snow was loose and it was difficult to get any purchase for climbing (lots of HAB) but it was entirely doable on the flats and downhills.
As we got closer to the trailhead, the increased foot and skier traffic had things bedded down nicely and it made for a better ride.
Things will get interesting as we see some warmer temps the next few days.
tjdog800

Postby GreeneRob » December 27th, 2013, 8:31 am

I was out there yesterday around 1pm. I was able to do a full loop with no issues. The snow provided great traction.

I would like to say thank to the JERKS that decided to ride when the temps were too warm to do so. There are so many deep frozen ice covered pizza cutters under the snow its rediculous.
GreeneRob

Postby mmba7614 » December 27th, 2013, 8:59 am

GreeneRob wrote:I would like to say thank to the JERKS that decided to ride when the temps were too warm to do so. There are so many deep frozen ice covered pizza cutters under the snow its rediculous.

Fact: Riding in Snow leaves ruts.
Fact: Going through a partial thaw/freeze cycle is going to turn whatever shape the snow happens to be in into ice.

I don't think there is a Jerky time to ride at this time of year. Let's save the hating for spring.
mmba7614

Postby GreeneRob » December 27th, 2013, 9:14 am

mmba7614 wrote:
GreeneRob wrote:I would like to say thank to the JERKS that decided to ride when the temps were too warm to do so. There are so many deep frozen ice covered pizza cutters under the snow its rediculous.

Fact: Going through a partial thaw/freeze cycle is going to turn whatever shape the snow happens to be in into ice.

I don't think there is a Jerky time to ride at this time of year. Let's save the hating for spring.

Wrong. It was abundantly clear that people had ridden when we had all of the rain and really high temps in the past week or so. Noone should have been on the trail then. There were far more than ruts in the snow.
GreeneRob

Postby poirier » December 27th, 2013, 9:31 am

GreeneRob wrote:
mmba7614 wrote:

Wrong. It was abundantly clear that people had ridden when we had all of the rain and really high temps in the past week or so. Noone should have been on the trail then. There were far more than ruts in the snow.

You better get out there this weekend with your badge and billy club to make sure everyone obeys the law. It's gonna be a warm one!
poirier

Postby GreeneRob » December 27th, 2013, 9:50 am

poirier wrote:
You better get out there this weekend with your badge and billy club to make sure everyone obeys the law. It's gonna be a warm one!

I'm guessing you are one of those who thinks that its fine to ride when its like that? Not sure what your problem is. Did Santa fill your stocking with coal again?

Seriously, my comment was about the people that rode the trail when it was a sloppy wet mess. There really is noone that should be advocating riding any trail when its like that.
GreeneRob

Postby ihateplaindave » December 27th, 2013, 10:04 am

Yeah, I don't think you want to advocate for pizza cutting. That's defending the indefensible.
ihateplaindave

Postby mmba7614 » December 27th, 2013, 11:35 am

ihateplaindave wrote:Yeah, I don't think you want to advocate for pizza cutting. That's defending the indefensible.

You guys are missing the point of why spring thaw pizza cutters in the dirt are bad, and why winter ice rut pizza cutters in the snow/ice are not.

Wait a week, weather will change one of them, and there will be no impact on the trail a month later. Sorry you can't deal with bumps and ice in the winter, in michigan, in the woods, on a trail ... There's always your turbo trainer. ;)
mmba7614

Postby GreeneRob » December 27th, 2013, 12:00 pm

^ there's always a dense person that comments without reading.
GreeneRob

Postby plaindave » December 29th, 2013, 4:34 pm

Got in a nice ride this morning. Trail is icy. Studs would be recommended. Lots of footprints frozen in the trail.
"You can't be a Real Country unless you have a beer and an airline-it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer."

-- Frank Zappa
plaindave

Postby Spinwheel » December 29th, 2013, 7:44 pm

ihateplaindave wrote:Yeah, I don't think you want to advocate for pizza cutting. That's defending the indefensible.

Pizza cutters might by the wrong term for riding during thaw conditions when the trail has a BASE OF PACKED SNOW that previously supported the weight of bike and foot traffic when frozen....

Rutting a slush base the day before a deep freeze, thereby creating ice ruts, is also indefensible > read on:

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=112602&start=255

Re: WMMBA: Merrell Trail

Postby RickPlite » Sun 29.12.2013, 09:41 am
from the Facebook page:

Please stay off the groomed trails if you are leaving ruts in the soft snow due to warm temps. The sudden drop in temps will freeze them into crappy trail surfaces. Treat soft groomed snow as if it was mud.
Luton Park Trail Coordinator, West Michigan Mountain Biking Alliance
http://www.kisscross.com
http://www.lumberjack100.com
http://www.barry-roubaix.com
Tim
TC, Hickory Glen Park - Commerce Twp.
Spinwheel

Postby eatworksleepdie » December 31st, 2013, 9:21 am

I rode tree farm yesterday (Monday December 30th) and I highly recommend studs. It took me almost an hour to ride the first 5 miles, then had to bail so I wasn't late for an appointment. It's rideable, but not for the faint of heart. Very icy with 6-8 bike tracks from the 6-8 morons who rode during the thaw over the weekend. Luckily it's only snow deep. Plus side, I saw 4 cute young deer! :D
Some see things as they are & ask why... Some dream of things that never were & ask why not?!
Racing Greyhounds
eatworksleepdie

Postby plaindave » December 31st, 2013, 9:38 am

eatworksleepdie wrote:I rode tree farm yesterday (Monday December 30th) and I highly recommend studs. It took me almost an hour to ride the first 5 miles, then had to bail so I wasn't late for an appointment. It's rideable, but not for the faint of heart. Very icy with 6-8 bike tracks from the 6-8 morons who rode during the thaw over the weekend. Luckily it's only snow deep. Plus side, I saw 4 cute young deer! :D

I didn't think the bike tracks were that bad. I thought that the footprints were much worse than the bike tracks.
"You can't be a Real Country unless you have a beer and an airline-it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer."

-- Frank Zappa
plaindave

Postby Steve_Balogh » December 31st, 2013, 5:18 pm

Just got back from Novi, did not ride the entire trail, but went out to my favorite sections on the other side of the bridges, pines, etc. Used my DIY studded fatbike, no issues with the ice and ruts. Nothing worse than what I expected - Novi does not drain well, after a rain or any thaw it gets sloppy there. Pretty much any bike that rode over the last week their tracks have thawed and frozen, fellow fat bikes included, regardless of what conditions they rode. Nice thing about the ruts is that most people held their lines pretty well; no fishtailing serpentine ruts criss-crossing the trail. I did find one or two sections where there were clearly pizza cutters digging into the ground :evil: . So yes, some of the complaints are true. Even with studs, I don't recommend riding too fast.

So it's a mixed bag of all-frozen conditions, I did find a few sections untouched.

What I found interesting was one section of gentle rolling hills where there were a ton of frozen ruts in the low spots, but no ruts at all in the high spots. Tells me that those tracks were not laid in thaw, but rather normal tracks that thawed and refroze. Again, not something to be ridden at high speed.

Parkinglot of course is super icy, I recommend studs - but I did notice some fresh tracks from a normal MTB without studs and they held an impressive line. Whoever that was good job 8)
Steve_Balogh

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments