MCMBA: Novi

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: MCMBA: Novi

Postby Loren » November 19th, 2013, 2:27 pm

Thanks for the reports - we'll get out there soon.
Loren

Postby Brother Crank » November 19th, 2013, 4:25 pm

Those downed trees keep it interesting.

Head up, eyes open, brake within reach and you'll be fine.
"Why should anyone steal a watch when he could steal a bicycle?" Flann O'Brien
Brother Crank

Postby drewlee13 » November 20th, 2013, 4:01 pm

Rode last night around 8:30pm. There are trees down everywhere. I think the worst of them are after the crater. I tried moving what I could but there are so many that need a chainsaw. Thanks to all involved in this clean up as it looks daunting.
drewlee13

Postby goin-postal » November 24th, 2013, 7:38 pm

Trees are still down.
goin-postal

Postby Loren » November 24th, 2013, 7:42 pm

Not all of them - cleared about 8 so far.
Loren

Postby daffunda » December 3rd, 2013, 10:50 am

Rode last night alone, dark and cold. Lots of frost covered pizza cutters make for an interesting close calls.
~www.trails-edge.com~

DISCLAIMER: The posts I make or have made in the past are strictly MY OPINION, AKA my two cents, and NOT in ANY WAY opinions of the MMBA or its associates. It is recommended to take it for what it is worth, which is two cents.
daffunda

Postby GHamilton » December 6th, 2013, 1:16 pm

Went out today around 11:00. Ground is frozen. Unfortunately, the pizza men were out when the ground was soft and left some ruts. Didn't ride Limeys so I can't comment, but I would imagine the low spots are rutted. The rest of the trail is doable with a forewarning that there are some turns where the ruts can grab your tire. Kudos to the tree removal crew. The whole trail is open with a couple of monster trees yet to be removed or a possible reroute of the trail around them. What do you think Loren? Reroute or a bunch of us showing up and helping out?

Gordon
GHamilton

Postby Loren » December 6th, 2013, 7:26 pm

Thanks for the update. We're discussing options for the remaining trees!

I appreciate all the offers for help in IM, email, and here. Between work and real life, it's been a challenge for me to do any level of scheduling or planning ahead for things like this, so I've basically been doing an impromptu 1/2 hour here and there working on the cleanup. Took some time, but getting close.
Loren

Postby jreyst » December 6th, 2013, 9:35 pm

Awesome work on removing the trees. There were none that I had to stop and carry over this time. I went out tonight and other than the frozen ruts from the mudders it was great.
--
John Reyst
Primary: 2007 Giant Trance (1x10)
Backup: 2013 Fezzari Wiki Peak
First Bike: 2004 Gary Fisher Cake
jreyst

Postby GHamilton » December 9th, 2013, 6:08 pm

What is the etiquette on the trail when cross country skiers are sharing the trail? Is there a preferred side of the trail we should stay on? As regards to the treefarm I'm talking about the main wide trail. Do the xc skiers even ski on the MB trail?

Gordon
GHamilton

Postby GreeneRob » December 9th, 2013, 6:43 pm

For the part of the trail I rode today, it was in great shape. Lots of pizza cutters from the a$$clowns riding when the ground wasn't frozen. Nice covering of about an inch of fresh snow.
GreeneRob

Postby jreyst » December 9th, 2013, 6:51 pm

Awesome. I'll be out there either tonight or tomorrow, haven't decided if I'm going to work tomorrow or not yet! :D
--
John Reyst
Primary: 2007 Giant Trance (1x10)
Backup: 2013 Fezzari Wiki Peak
First Bike: 2004 Gary Fisher Cake
jreyst

Postby Loren » December 11th, 2013, 8:25 am

GHamilton wrote:What is the etiquette on the trail when cross country skiers are sharing the trail? Is there a preferred side of the trail we should stay on? As regards to the treefarm I'm talking about the main wide trail. Do the xc skiers even ski on the MB trail?

Gordon

No real defined etiquette that I know of. Between the hikers, skiers, bikers, runners - fresh snow gets messed up pretty quickly.

(I have a set of 'backcountry" xc skis, so I tend to just go way off trail once there is significant snow. The 2/3 of Lakeshore that is too low and wet for trails is all accessible on snowshoes and skis!)
Loren

Postby Roy » December 11th, 2013, 3:03 pm

Yield to the skiers (they don't have brakes and they are stuck in a rut), then thank them for compacting the trail.
A little light humor is always good.

Roy
Roy

Postby ec494 » December 15th, 2013, 7:47 pm

Ventured out on the moonlander today. Did not get very far, about a mile in. The moonlander did good I did not. Very difficult. Trail needs some skiers and other fat bikers who are in better shape than I am to pack it down.
ec494

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments