MCMBA: Novi

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: MCMBA: Novi

Postby turbotodd » July 11th, 2013, 11:27 am

jumped in and out of a few sections last night. two-track was fine as usual, actual trail had lots of mud holes and standing water. do not recommend riding. also cleared a fallen tree at the sharp left-hander shortly before the pump track. Loren, I placed a bunch of the branches in a pile to the left of the corner where a bandit shortcut tends to form, hope that's ok.
turbotodd

Postby Loren » July 11th, 2013, 11:30 am

Thanks!
Loren

Postby ColorVoyeur » July 11th, 2013, 12:50 pm

turbotodd, if you think it needs more branches to block it off, I have a stash of trim at the pump track from the last few weeks I can move over. Just let me know.
No Dig, No Ride
ColorVoyeur

Postby steveracer » July 11th, 2013, 1:40 pm

turbo, thanks for thinking about the bandit line. I got tired of stopping each ride and throwing *beep* there.
Hope is not a good strategy.
steveracer

Postby Loren » July 11th, 2013, 1:52 pm

Long term solution for issues like this is to transplant a tree of two in the bandit line. Brush is a good bandaid, but too easy to clear.
Loren

Postby ajrunn » July 11th, 2013, 4:11 pm

Rode this afternoon -- no standing water, very few muddy spots. Rest of the trail seemed pretty great. Small downed tree between 6 & 7.
ajrunn

Postby Loren » July 11th, 2013, 6:51 pm

ajrunn wrote:Small downed tree between 6 & 7.

Cleared.
Loren

Postby CTB » July 13th, 2013, 10:45 am

Trail was great yesterday. Only one spotting of actual water. There were some muddy spots, and some really deep pizza cutters that could use some work while they're still soft. I didn't have any tools, though, like a McLeod or something to pound the grooves flat. Otherwise, it was a great ride.
CTB

Postby ColorVoyeur » July 14th, 2013, 7:57 am

To whomever is destroying my hard work at the pump track:

Pray I don't catch you. Not only will it be trivial to beat you to death with my shovels, I have no qualms using a dead body to build new rollers if that's what I'm pushed to.

Also, please stop stealing my tools... I'm very near not being able to afford to dig anymore due to inconsiderate pricks like you.

Weeks like this make me want to give it all up and go back to private / bandit builds.

edit ** The threats of violence are hyperbole. I wouldn't want a human roller anyway... too much work.
I'd actually love to know who is spending the time digging out there.... I could use the work if it wasn't so terrible and I could guide the bandits toward our trail goals. I'm even nice enough to help design and build lines you want... always open for recommendations!
No Dig, No Ride
ColorVoyeur

Postby ColorVoyeur » July 14th, 2013, 9:09 am

Took a pretty nice ride with some buddies out there last night and the trail was in pretty amazing shape! Not many face slappers, trail growing in nice and tight where it counts, unbelievable traction when you want it. Thanks to everyone that's working on the head high stuff!

CTB - if you can be specific where the worst ruts are, I always have my dig tools in the park and can get a bit of water and work out there if I know the location. I knocked down the bad ones off the bridge to Crater Loop a few days ago... unfortunately I'm terrible about taking mental notes while I'm riding since there is nothing going through my head but Pantera and wishes for a beer cart.
No Dig, No Ride
ColorVoyeur

Postby CTB » July 14th, 2013, 2:35 pm

ColorVoyeur,
Unfortunately, I can't. I don't know the trail that well, so I generally have no idea where I am at any point. :( I started at the 12.5-mile entrance, though, and I recall some of the biggies being in the second half of my ride, starting from that point. I guess that puts them in the Expert loop or a bit later (I ride the orange arrows and take the black "most difficult" choices when riding Lakeshore). Dang, I wish I had marked them on GPS or something (I don't even know if I can do that with MyTracks...). I recall the first half of the ride (again, from the 12.5-mile entrance) being pretty good, with just a couple spots, but nothing super deep.
CTB

Postby utabintarbo » July 14th, 2013, 2:40 pm

Most of the worst ruts were in the Expert loop (though they were pretty ubiquitous), IIRC. I rode yesterday morning.
utabintarbo

Postby mpw29er » July 14th, 2013, 8:00 pm

I went for a ride around 6:30 this evening and it was in great shape. I had no bug issues and despite the 88 degree temperatures the conditions were great! Less than two weeks to the relay!
mpw29er

Postby iamkickstand » July 15th, 2013, 7:58 am

ColorVoyeur wrote:To whomever is destroying my hard work at the pump track:

Pray I don't catch you. Not only will it be trivial to beat you to death with my shovels, I have no qualms using a dead body to build new rollers if that's what I'm pushed to.

Also, please stop stealing my tools... I'm very near not being able to afford to dig anymore due to inconsiderate pricks like you.

Weeks like this make me want to give it all up and go back to private / bandit builds.

edit ** The threats of violence are hyperbole. I wouldn't want a human roller anyway... too much work.
I'd actually love to know who is spending the time digging out there.... I could use the work if it wasn't so terrible and I could guide the bandits toward our trail goals. I'm even nice enough to help design and build lines you want... always open for recommendations!

why would anyone steal a shovel?

The human race amazes me on multiple levels on a daily basis.
iamkickstand

Postby Loren » July 15th, 2013, 8:15 am

These are troubling times on the trail.
Loren

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments