MCMBA: Novi

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: MCMBA: Novi

Postby ihateplaindave » June 25th, 2013, 11:15 am

From 12 and Halsted, your best bet for any chance of a non-mudfest is Hickory Glen. And its closer than ILRA.
ihateplaindave

Postby daffunda » June 25th, 2013, 11:29 am

The person endo'd and landed on her head around the expert loop intersection at the beginning. I was trimming the trail around there when I ran into her friend asking for help. They seemed to be unfamiliar with the trail. The person seemed like she was in extreme pain lying on her back and unable to move. Hammered back to the booth, called 911, hammered back to the crash site and told them EMS is coming and high tailed it back to the booth again to wait for the EMS. Her friend stayed with the injured.

EMS came and I had to lead them back to the crash site. Luckily park had a gator so EMS piled on it.

The EMS put her on the board, but she was screaming in pain so they gave her pain killers through the IV and seemed to help. Then I lead them back to the TH. She was moving her feet and arms before EMS carried her out on the gator so that was good news.

She was wearing a helmet (smart) so that I think that prevented a more catastrophic outcome. I found out later that she went in for surgery for her broken neck that day. :( She was moving her arms and legs a little bit, so hopefully she will make a full recovery. I know when I snapped my clavicle in half at Maybury race I felt pretty helpless so help and support when you suffer an injury like that is always appreciated.

Then later on I see a young skater-boy looking dude without a helmet bombin through the trail.... :roll:

Wear a helmet, it saves lives.
~www.trails-edge.com~

DISCLAIMER: The posts I make or have made in the past are strictly MY OPINION, AKA my two cents, and NOT in ANY WAY opinions of the MMBA or its associates. It is recommended to take it for what it is worth, which is two cents.
daffunda

Postby black2003ss » June 25th, 2013, 12:42 pm

It doesn't just save lives, it preserves the quality of life one might live. On a bike, or even while skiing, you might survive/live from a nasty fall, but a helmet can mean the difference between moving around in a wheelchair by blowing on a straw or driving yourself to work the next day.

Great job Daffunda. Way to think and hustle.
black2003ss

Postby jwilds1 » June 25th, 2013, 1:40 pm

Holy Smokes... My son (age 8) and I were on our first father/son trail ride together and I was wondering what happened that would bring that level of response from EMS/Fire. Thankfully, my son didn't ask any awkward questions. Thinking about getting a more serious helmet for the kiddo, as he loved it and wants to do it more. Made it the entire length, granted with a lot of walking up the hills - a BMX bike is not conducive to making it up the hills.

Also, this was my first time back on a local trail in years... Hopefully I can keep his interest in it.
- John
Super-noob
jwilds1

Postby deezler » June 25th, 2013, 2:57 pm

black2003ss wrote:

It doesn't just save lives, it preserves the quality of life one might live. On a bike, or even while skiing, you might survive/live from a nasty fall, but a helmet can mean the difference between moving around in a wheelchair by blowing on a straw or driving yourself to work the next day.

Great job Daffunda. Way to think and hustle.

Ditto to all this. Great work!
deezler

Postby CWPspeed3 » June 25th, 2013, 3:50 pm

ihateplaindave wrote:From 12 and Halsted, your best bet for any chance of a non-mudfest is Hickory Glen. And its closer than ILRA.

im around the same area. never been to Hickory Glen, how is it?
i was hoping to ride lakeshore today but it sounds like it may be too wet today.
2010 Stumpjumper FSR
CWPspeed3

Postby turbotodd » June 26th, 2013, 1:57 pm

hickory glen was excellent last night. that place drains like a collander
turbotodd

Postby ibisman » June 26th, 2013, 5:09 pm

looked at Novi this morning and it was wet and muddy. I went to Hickory Glen instead and but for the bugs and faceslappers it was perfect.
Martyrs or marines
who do you think gets
the virgins?
USMC 1968-1972
30,585.5 total miles since 2002
Miles for 2014--1063--miles for 2013... 1770.25 miles. 0 road miles
all on teenie, tiny, normal sized wheels
ibisman

Postby Siccus » July 1st, 2013, 1:46 pm

I rode the trail this morning and it is in good shape. There are some muddy spots and a few small pools, but all are easily avoided so that you don't damage the trail. If the rain misses us this afternoon, it should be good to go.

There does appear to be a newly-downed tree just before the 6 mile marker, where the single track joins the two-track. It is about 4-6 inches in diameter and is sitting about 2-3 inches off the ground. I hopped it without too much trouble, but it should probably be removed.
Siccus

Postby aaronmelch » July 6th, 2013, 7:16 am

Today is July 6th. I live downriver and just wondered has anyone ridden the trail in last day or so? How is the conditions?
aaronmelch

Postby steveracer » July 6th, 2013, 1:55 pm

Rode the trail on Friday afternoon. Trail is fine.

I DO recommend that riders try to take the "traditional line" around the place, and try to avoid permanently widening the areas that were pooled with water.

I cut a few face slappers back so no worries - just ride the trail. Seems like the first time in months!
Hope is not a good strategy.
steveracer

Postby Loren » July 6th, 2013, 6:07 pm

Siccus wrote:There does appear to be a newly-downed tree just before the 6 mile marker, where the single track joins the two-track.

Cleared.
Loren

Postby ColorVoyeur » July 7th, 2013, 4:45 pm

Bounced in and out of my favorite loops for about 4 miles this afternoon and had a riot! Dirt is in great condition!
No Dig, No Ride
ColorVoyeur

Postby thejode » July 10th, 2013, 8:00 pm

Is muddy now. Will be great tomorrow if it doesn't rain.
thejode

Postby ColorVoyeur » July 10th, 2013, 8:26 pm

If it's as wet as it has been the last couple weeks, please use caution riding the pump track. It generally dries much faster than the rest of the trail, but these are my favorite periods for building so many features that look freshly groomed are way too wet to ride.

If you leave tracks entering the first couple rollers, please get off without locking up your brakes. The first sets of rollers dry the fastest, so if they're soft, the whole track is probably way too soft.
DO NOT KEEP RIDING THE JUMPS AND BERMS WITH YOUR BRAKES LOCKED UP!

I try to leave the track open through changes and maintenance, but today I blocked the entrance off with some buckets... please stay clear when you see them if you don't want a shovel thrown your way and you don't have a beer for me. If you see me guinea pigging during these short closures, trust me when I say you don't want to be riding what I'm riding and I don't need extra patching after these sessions.
No Dig, No Ride
ColorVoyeur

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments