NMMBA: Aspen Park

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Northern: Aspen Park

Postby MTB23 » May 25th, 2009, 2:03 pm

Rode Aspen Park for the first time today, and was beyond impressed. Wasnt expecting much, but the trail is super twisty and mildy technical. Makes you stay on your toes. Scenery is amazing, especially "Scotts Pond". Truly a hidden gem easily accesed from I-75. Will definatley make this a weekly ride. Enjoy
MTB23

Postby lunge bob sweatpants » August 16th, 2009, 5:46 pm

So I'm up north at the mother-in-law's place on vacation and decide to ride Aspen. I have ridden Aspen a number of times in the past, although this was the first time this year. Today was different...a good...no...a great different.

I got my 9 year old son out on the trials and we did them together. Being a lot slower the me, I really had to take it easy and not get too far a head of him. The slow pace really made me aware of each pedal stroke and my position on the bike and I got take in the scenery that usually is a blur (not because I'm going that fast, I'm pretty slow...more the result of concentraiting specifically on the trail ahead of me). I was impressed with his abilities and he stuck it out to the end. He actually wants to do it again. "That's ma Boy!"

I really like this trail. It's in great condition today. I've gotten tired of riding the same 2-3 trails down state near my home and this trail was a breath of fresh air for me.
lunge bob sweatpants

Postby RedWolf » September 9th, 2009, 10:14 pm

Rode the trail this past weekend for the first time, and liked it so much I took a second lap. Good flow, some really fun spots to get your speed kicks or get your wheels off the ground, and enough uphill to make the heart pump a little. There were a couple of forks in the trail that could use a sign or arrow, but nothing that I couldn't figure out without too much trouble. All in all, it was a really nice trail and you can bet I'll make my way through a couple of more times this year.
RedWolf

Postby jalopy jockey » September 10th, 2009, 11:18 am

RedWolf wrote:Rode the trail this past weekend for the first time, and liked it so much I took a second lap. Good flow, some really fun spots to get your speed kicks or get your wheels off the ground, and enough uphill to make the heart pump a little. There were a couple of forks in the trail that could use a sign or arrow, but nothing that I couldn't figure out without too much trouble. All in all, it was a really nice trail and you can bet I'll make my way through a couple of more times this year.

A couple of those spots have an arrow there just 10 feet before you start to look for it. My wife and I have been teher a few times over the last 2 years and still question taking a few of the access point spur trails. I usually walk 10-20 feet backwards on the trail and see the arrow.

We'll proabbly hit it once more this season. 3hrs form home and 40minutes from the cabin (Boyne is 15) makes it not so convinient to go too often.
jalopy jockey

Postby Creamy » September 10th, 2009, 12:19 pm

great trail. havent ridden it in to long a time, should get back there.
used to be a good race there years ago.
c
Creamy

Postby kivetros » September 12th, 2009, 5:24 pm

Man, I used to live in Gaylord (moved to Canton last April) - Aspen was the first real trail system I ever rode, and I loved it.

The trails are really clear, and the scenery is beautiful (not to mention how fresh the air always is up there). The trails are the perfect balance of fast and technical - not by any means boring, but fast, and with just enough twisty corners to keep you on your toes (and your right hand poised on the brake handle). I highly recommend it.

-K
kivetros

Postby jalopy jockey » March 30th, 2010, 9:37 pm

Anyone been there recently. heading up to the cabin and I'd like to bring the right bike.
I guess I'm lacking mental clarity because I don't smoke pot. " - Di Bear
jalopy jockey

Postby northernrider05 » March 31st, 2010, 5:57 am

The trail is in good shape.
"Bicycles may change,but cycling is timeless."
-Zapata Espinoza
northernrider05

Postby lunge bob sweatpants » March 31st, 2010, 11:10 am

northernrider05 wrote:The trail is in good shape.

Sweet! I'm heading up north this weekend and was debating about bringing my bike. I think I just made up my mind....
lunge bob sweatpants

Postby lunge bob sweatpants » April 3rd, 2010, 7:41 am

Aspen is in great shape. Dry as can be. Just need to be a little carefull on some of the twisties, lots of loose leaves.
lunge bob sweatpants

Postby Davidpeckjr » June 21st, 2011, 2:43 pm

Rode the trail today. (21Jun2011). I am a beginner, riding a Trek 820. I am 6'4" and 240lbs. Only mod on the bike is the Basket type pedals. (plus a computer but hardly a mod) Tried to GPS it but the Garmin was not working right, between trees and cloud cover. The first "section" from the parking lot to the first crossing of the paved trail was fun but a lot of roots. clip in, basket or cage style pedals help through here if you are pushing it. The Next section is a fun fast section that would be good for anyone thinking about mountain biking. Though at the south end of this section there was a lot of small branched and leaves to content with. You will come to the paved trail again here and then off to the east for another short woods section then south through the field and back into the red pines. Very fast and fun. Easy going. At the end I miss a fork sign and to double back. This section the speed picks up and the trail starts to get interesting. With some moderate climbs and some more roots. (on going theme here is there are a lot of roots) After you cross the paved trail again (nice feature if you are new, you can get off on the paved part) and this part is fast and twisted! Some where at the 3 mile mark (about half way) there is a small tree across the path. easy to ride over. It gets a little sketchy from here. But there are some moderate climbs, fast sections, and tight turns. You will not be able to just bomb the trail. you have the brakes handy. I think you will cross the paved trail two more times. You will be on the "Scott pond side" and you will have again from fast downhill, to moderate climbs and quick turns. The only part I have missed and I have done it before it near the end. There is a small jump near the end, somewhere I think you are suppose to go right because of the way the trail goes. I think the next time I will take some photos of the trail and have them on Facebook. Look me up!
David Earl Peck Jr
2013 Miles (29er mnt=0, road=0) ('86 Schwinn=0)
Trail Maintenance hrs =0
Trails ridden;
Davidpeckjr

Postby jalopy jockey » June 21st, 2011, 3:39 pm

Davidpeckjr wrote:There is a small jump near the end, somewhere I think you are suppose to go right because of the way the trail goes. I think the next time I will take some photos of the trail and have them on Facebook. Look me up!
David Earl Peck Jr

Yep there is a right right before that jump. I've jumped it jumped it againa nd hauled ass to catch up to my riding partner.

lots of spoke killer and the aforementioned tree as well as some face and shin slappers.

oh and SAND!

That was Sunday evening before the rain though.
I guess I'm lacking mental clarity because I don't smoke pot. " - Di Bear
jalopy jockey

Postby Davidpeckjr » June 21st, 2011, 8:53 pm

the spoke killer, huh I am guessing small branches. I thinking of going through the trail and trying to widen the branched out. Not sure who to ask? there was a manger or something listed in the trail forum I will have to ask him
Trail Maintenance hrs =0
Trails ridden;
Davidpeckjr

Postby jpw700 » June 22nd, 2011, 10:15 am

A trail maint. day is coming up soon.No date set yet.Check back here for updates.
jpw700

Postby Davidpeckjr » June 24th, 2011, 7:45 am

I would like to help, e-mail me when. I do work a 48hr shift.
Trail Maintenance hrs =0
Trails ridden;
Davidpeckjr

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments