NMMBA: Aspen Park

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

NMMBA: Aspen Park

Postby Todd Scott » March 22nd, 2004, 8:30 am

Post trail conditions and problem reports for the trails at Aspen Park in Gaylord
Todd Scott

Postby SANTA_CRUZ » April 15th, 2004, 7:23 am

I'm heading up to the Houghton Lake area this weekend and
wanted to check out the Aspen Park trail. Has anyone ridden
this trail in the last week ? Is the snow all gone and the trail
dry enough to ride or should I avoid it and try it another time ?

Please let me know on this board and thanks in advance.

SC 8)
I love mountain biking because I haven't found anything that is more FUN !!
Of all the paths you choose in life....make sure some of them are DIRT !!

Commuting miles in 2012 = 1065
Total road/trail miles = 2800
Number of rides = 152
Trails ridden = 28 different in MI, 2 in Oregon
SANTA_CRUZ

Aspen Park

Postby risnewski » June 18th, 2004, 9:11 pm

Rode Aspen yesterday in the rain--terrific park and great job by the MMBA folks. The scenery is great (and it's not bad having an elk herd next door) and the trail is in very good condtion with plenty of twists and turns and a couple lung buster hills. Hemlock and hardwoods make for a nice ride.

If you're with someone who wants to walk or take an easy trail, Aspen has an ADA-compliant paved trail that's lit until 10pm. The city of Gaylord and MMBA have combined efforts for a great park.

BTW, stopped by Latitude45 in Gaylord and found the folks there to be super helpful. If you're in town and need service or wanna shop, it's a fine place.
risnewski

Postby booboobear » August 22nd, 2004, 7:02 pm

Rode Aspen Park Wednesday (8/18). I was at a conference at Treetops, and being pressed for time to drive any distance, I thought I'd do this trail essentially in the city limits of Gaylord. I wasn't expecting much as a result, but boy, what a gem this trail (and the park generally) is --- those in and around Gaylord are very lucky.

I was pleasantly surprised at how technical the trail was, with lots of twists, turns and bumps. Being a newbie, I'm probably not qualified to pass judgment on the technicality of the trail, but it was all I wanted on an early morning ride. There were also several good climbs (pant, pant) and descents, of course at the end of the trail circuit, not the beginning where I wasn't so out of breath! It was also dry!!! What a treat after this summer in SE Michigan. Great scenery as well. Kudo's to the MMBA and those maintaining this trail.
booboobear

Aspen park

Postby Sixty-Six » June 6th, 2005, 11:52 am

First time riding this trail and REALLY enjoyed it! I'm still a new rider, but it had some good bumps and turns and a couple short uphills (well, short compared to Boyne). No log pyramids yet, but a nice trail for beginner, intermediates. Especially with the paved trails for the beginner folks that need to get off in the middle of the loop. Extra thanks to Tom from Latitude 45 bike shop for his assistance. He happened to be there for a demo and helped us with questions about the demos and even with a couple glitches our own bikes had.
Sixty-Six

Postby DF Bernard » August 5th, 2005, 3:13 pm

Rode Aspen Park for the first time Wed. Aug. 3, 2005. Great 6.5 miles of twisty singletrack, some nice climbs and descents, some cool trail through the pines - overall a very well maintained, mildly technical trail. Highly recommended if you're in the area.
Daryl Bernard
Trail Coordinator - Pine Haven Recreation Area

Keep singletrack SINGLE - don't ride wide!
DF Bernard

Postby Jerry68 » May 20th, 2006, 4:05 pm

WOW! Rode this as a warm up to the Starker-Mann duathlon. A true hidden gem easily accessed from I-75. This is a very well maintained, uncrowded, technical singletrack in a very beautiful setting. This trail is worth a side trip if your heading north with your bike.
Jerry68

Postby rescueclimber » September 9th, 2006, 6:30 pm

Went camping this past weekend with the idea of riding Aspen,Boyne,Shingle Mill,Hartwick Pines, and Hanson Hills. Rode to Aspen from the KOA (5.7 mi) then rode about 7/8 of Aspen mamma called stating she and the boy were hungry,rode back to KOA. Awesome ride. Saturday morning went to Aspen with the family rode Aspen again and finished again awesome trail but now a huge fallen tree in the way of a big climb. Came back with a friend and rode Aspen at night....first night ride and it was awesome.

aspen park

Postby northernrider05 » November 19th, 2006, 5:29 pm

Rode aspen park today, trails in good shape, no snow on the trail at all
northernrider05

Postby malaca » July 28th, 2007, 4:21 pm

Rode this trail today and had a blast. Some folks from these boards recommended this trail as "beginner safe", and they were right on the money. Thanks to the folks who maintain this trail. :)
malaca

Postby TREKKERB » August 5th, 2007, 10:57 am

Just rode it on Thursday..two laps makes it alot of fun.
" I killed a snake with a bible, I was livin' a Johnny Cash song" Ben Harper
TREKKERB

25th

Postby ride_like_the_wind_kindof » August 19th, 2007, 4:17 pm

I'm planning to ride Sat. the 25th. anyone going to the Allman Bros. show in Boyne? I would like to get together and ride the day or day after the show...
Thanks,
Paul
ride_like_the_wind_kindof

Postby skiracer » September 27th, 2007, 4:19 pm

I rode Aspen Park today and the trail is in great shape.
skiracer

Postby skiracer » April 24th, 2008, 4:07 pm

I went to Aspen Park today. The snow is finally gone! The trail is in great shape.
skiracer

Aspen Park

Postby JAMESHD » July 20th, 2008, 8:31 pm

I rode Aspen Park today after a pretty good rain but the trails were still really good despite a bit of mud. :)
JAMESHD

Next

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments