Western: Bass River

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Western: Bass River

Postby Irish57 » October 4th, 2011, 7:31 pm

Nice to get out after work to ride the trail on a perfect fall afternoon. Trail was in great shape. North part of the trail was really grown but OK. Get out and ride!
Irish57

Postby LuckyCharm4x4 » October 18th, 2011, 3:10 pm

I rode the trail today and holy crap, with the leaves down and cool weather it's like a whole new trail! There is a tree down about 200 yards into the east loop that will need a chainsaw (~12" in diameter IIRC). I also found a tree down off the side of the trail that I made into a rideable log pile towards the end of east. It still needs some work but I'll wait until it gets settled in a little bit. I'd say that riding this trail in the fall is a whole different experience and way more fun than summer riding.
LuckyCharm4x4

Postby REMAXmark » October 21st, 2011, 10:59 am

New to riding, but loving it. I live near Bass River trail and using it as my trail to get in shape to try some of the other trails that require more endurance. Looking for others to ride with out there. I sometimes ride in the mornings or evenings. Not sure if this forum emails you on responses so email me direct at mdeering@grar.com
REMAXmark

Postby Irish57 » December 18th, 2011, 4:13 pm

Had to get out today. Even though a little chilly just put some winter gear on and went riding. Nice that the sun came out. For the most part the trail is in very good condition with some soft muddy spots but nothing that would cause problems. Quite a few other mtn bikers out today also. Felt great to get out before the snow flies!!
Irish57

Postby Mike_D » January 6th, 2012, 9:23 am

Anyone know the snow depth on the trail @ Bass? I know Holland got slammed with snow earlier in the week.
Mike_D

Postby LuckyCharm4x4 » January 9th, 2012, 11:58 am

I am assuming that there is no snow. It's been pretty warm out here.
LuckyCharm4x4

Postby Bigtymer » January 9th, 2012, 5:24 pm

You might find some snow in spots where the sun never shines, but it might be all clear. Check it out and report the trail status.
Bigtymer
Bigtymer

Postby mtbyker » January 9th, 2012, 10:05 pm

Was at BR this morning. Ground was frozen, conditions were supreme! Maybe as good as I've ever seen. No snow anywhere.
Kwitchyerbellyakin. -- Irish saying

http://stores.ebay.com/mtbyker-bikes-and-parts
mtbyker

Postby Bigtymer » January 10th, 2012, 9:01 am

Wow, January 9th and you can still ride Bass. Awesome!
Bigtymer
Bigtymer

Postby LuckyCharm4x4 » January 16th, 2012, 12:05 am

I tried riding today but I only made it like 15ft. into the trail. Apparently I need a fatter bike?!

LuckyCharm4x4

Postby Bigtymer » January 18th, 2012, 9:32 am

You definitely don't need a wider tire to ride the trail( well a 2.4- 2.5 couldn't hurt). Just get some studded tires and you should be fine. Just ask the third coast snowbikers in Grand Haven. They've been riding in the snow for years.
Bigtymer
Bigtymer

Postby Mike_D » January 18th, 2012, 9:45 am

You probably encountered a lot of "resistance" due to the heavy, high moisture content of that snow :!: Combine that with the depth and that must have been a real treat for that 15 feet :D Studded tires would be beneficial to give you traction. As far as a wider tire, I'm more inclined to think a standard 2.0 or 2.1 wide studded tire thinking of more like a studded pizza cutter would work better (less resistance and getting down to the sub-surface). A wider tire would give you, here again, more "resistance" on a "virgin" trail that has not been packed down. Now some would argue that the wider tire "floats" you above the snow but I have yet to "float" across the snow when I tried some 2.3's years ago but that's my opinion. I still think a standard width studded tire will give you plenty of traction and give you some stability when turning corners (less chance for tire to wash out).
Mike_D

Postby Bigtymer » January 18th, 2012, 4:17 pm

See Lucky Charm, I told ya. lol:) Get some studded tires thrown on that trek of yours and its bombs away time;)
Bigtymer
Bigtymer

Postby dirtjunkie » January 19th, 2012, 10:19 am

Two phat bikes and three skinnies packed a decent line thru the snow last night. We cleared quite a few small trees/ downfall off the trail, but there are a couple of spots that have large trees down.
dirtjunkie

Postby Mike_D » January 26th, 2012, 12:25 pm

With this snow, thaw, freeze cycle does anyone know the latest trail conditions? Just wondering if the trail is clear or if the packed down snow has turned to ice? Anyplace in my backyard that has been walked on and hasn't melted is extremely icy right now.
Mike_D

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions