Western: Bass River

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Parking Question:

Postby LuckyCharm4x4 » August 27th, 2011, 4:01 pm

Question for you guys. When you go to Bass River, where do you park? I see a lot of cars off the side of the main drag, but I never see any in the staging area. I usually park in the staging area because the bugs aren't as bad over there. Is this frowned upon (due to the horses) or is it alright?
Last edited by LuckyCharm4x4 on August 27th, 2011, 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LuckyCharm4x4

Re: Western: Bass River

Postby Mike_D » August 27th, 2011, 4:23 pm

LuckyCharm4x4 wrote:Question for you guys. When you go to Bass River, where do you park? I see a lot of cars off the side of the main drag, but I never see any in the staging area. I usually park in the staging area because the bugs aren't as bad over there. Is this frowned upon (due to the horses) or is it alright?

I've always parked alongside the road. Didn't even know there was a parking lot til I heard it thru the grapevine.
Mike_D

Postby ras220476 » August 31st, 2011, 8:58 pm

Rode this two loops of this trail for first time today at lunchtime. Trail was in good condition - not much overgrowth and not too many loose branches on the trail. Not sure if the tree near to the start of the 'south loop' is meant to be down across the trail but I just unclipped and cyclo-crossed over it...its about 2 ft off the ground so I didn't fancy bunny hopping over it!! There were a couple of points on the trial where better signing would help, esp for new riders, but luckily I had looked at the trail map quite a few times beforehand so knew where it went! Overall it's a nice trail, especially as I only work a few miles away and it means I can now ride over my lunch break, but the endless twists are mind-numbing and I'm sure the trail would be much better with some longer runs where you could get up some speed!!! :)
ras220476

Postby LuckyCharm4x4 » September 1st, 2011, 1:01 am

The downed tree on south has been there but is not part of the trail. I posted about it before. I agree about the signage and I have brought it up. I am hoping that is something that can be addressed. It's funny that you call it twisty and you didn't even ride East. Man are you in for a surprise!

I'm on Tapatalk, expect spelling/grammar mistakes!
LuckyCharm4x4

Postby kms662 » September 4th, 2011, 11:17 am

Rode yesterday around 4:30 and trail is in great shape. I'd darn near say the best I've ever seen it save for the obvious signs of horses on the south loop between the trailhead and 104th Ave. Mosquitos weren't too bad...as long as you keep moving.
kms662

Postby purple helmet » September 12th, 2011, 8:18 pm

Trail day, next Sunday Sept. 18th, around 2:30 pm.

Quick afternoon trail day to get everything up to snuff for the best season at Bass, fall and early winter!

Bring trimming-type tools if you have them, maybe some rakes and shovels (although not planning on moving as much dirt as usual :P )

Any questions just post up here or PM me.

Thanks

tom
The HCP, where no one can hear you scream.
purple helmet

Postby purple helmet » September 15th, 2011, 4:46 pm

Good meeting with the guy that has a 50% chance of being the next land manager for Bass. We'll know in a few days whether he is going to be the go-to guy or not...
The HCP, where no one can hear you scream.
purple helmet

Postby ignition16 » September 17th, 2011, 7:46 am

Rode the trail yesterday. 1st section (north loop) is in pretty good shape, just a little overgrown. 2nd section is in amazing shape. 3rd section is quite overgrown in several sections as well as having some horse damage. Also almost ran through a giant pile of horse droppings in the middle of the trail on the 3rd section too...

Wish I could make it for the trail day tomorrow, but unfortunately I am busy. After a little trimming, this trail will be in prime shape for the fall riding season! Then we'll just needs to figure out how to keep those dang horses off the singletrack.
ignition16

Postby Go_Green » September 18th, 2011, 8:57 pm

I love doing night ride and winter rides out there.
Go_Green

Postby LuckyCharm4x4 » September 23rd, 2011, 8:55 pm

Everyone was too busy last Sunday for the trail day I presume? I saw some riders out there, but no one brought tools or help?
LuckyCharm4x4

Postby Irish57 » October 4th, 2011, 7:31 pm

Nice to get out after work to ride the trail on a perfect fall afternoon. Trail was in great shape. North part of the trail was really grown but OK. Get out and ride!
Irish57

Postby LuckyCharm4x4 » October 18th, 2011, 3:10 pm

I rode the trail today and holy crap, with the leaves down and cool weather it's like a whole new trail! There is a tree down about 200 yards into the east loop that will need a chainsaw (~12" in diameter IIRC). I also found a tree down off the side of the trail that I made into a rideable log pile towards the end of east. It still needs some work but I'll wait until it gets settled in a little bit. I'd say that riding this trail in the fall is a whole different experience and way more fun than summer riding.
LuckyCharm4x4

Postby REMAXmark » October 21st, 2011, 10:59 am

New to riding, but loving it. I live near Bass River trail and using it as my trail to get in shape to try some of the other trails that require more endurance. Looking for others to ride with out there. I sometimes ride in the mornings or evenings. Not sure if this forum emails you on responses so email me direct at mdeering@grar.com
REMAXmark

Postby Irish57 » December 18th, 2011, 4:13 pm

Had to get out today. Even though a little chilly just put some winter gear on and went riding. Nice that the sun came out. For the most part the trail is in very good condition with some soft muddy spots but nothing that would cause problems. Quite a few other mtn bikers out today also. Felt great to get out before the snow flies!!
Irish57

Postby Mike_D » January 6th, 2012, 9:23 am

Anyone know the snow depth on the trail @ Bass? I know Holland got slammed with snow earlier in the week.
Mike_D

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments