Western: Bass River

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Western: Bass River

Postby purple helmet » July 28th, 2011, 12:09 pm

Log pile + bypass is the way to go most of the time...
The HCP, where no one can hear you scream.
purple helmet

Postby msugrad96 » July 28th, 2011, 3:11 pm

Rode Bass yesterday with a group. Log pile on south side was cool (probably biggest on the trail), but will need a bypass for less experienced riders. Nice work LuckyCharm
msugrad96

Postby LuckyCharm4x4 » July 28th, 2011, 5:54 pm

I'm out of town for the weekend but I will try to get out there with a shovel and some loppers to finish it off early next week. Did you find the other log pile that I uncovered? After going over it you split between two trees. I don't think that's how it was originally but it seemed to work when I rode it.
LuckyCharm4x4

Postby LuckyCharm4x4 » August 2nd, 2011, 11:07 am

I went out to the trail today and did some work on the south loop. I made the new "large log pile" a bit more robust by throwing dirt over the logs. This will work it's way down and hopefully be the start of a sturdy foundation for the logs, preventing them from bouncing or coming out of place. I am sure it will take more layers of dirt, a few rains, more people riding the pile and a little time before this obstacle is perfect.

The main focus of my efforts today was the log pile bypass. About 30ft. (IIRC) before the new log pile there is an opening to the bypass on the right-hand side of the trail. I would estimate that the total bypass is about 100 yards and it took almost 3 hours to complete. It meets back up with the regular trail and should not add or subtract much distance. The bypass will be a little bumpy for awhile and just needs to be ridden more to break it in.

I think this new section adds a little bit of flavor to the trail and for those who are afraid of the large logs can put up with the bumps until the bypass is worn in, after-all... it is mountain biking! Let me know what you think, Happy riding!
LuckyCharm4x4

Postby purple helmet » August 2nd, 2011, 11:48 am

LuckyCharm4x4 wrote:I went out to the trail today and did some work on the south loop. I made the new "large log pile" a bit more robust by throwing dirt over the logs. This will work it's way down and hopefully be the start of a sturdy foundation for the logs, preventing them from bouncing or coming out of place. I am sure it will take more layers of dirt, a few rains, more people riding the pile and a little time before this obstacle is perfect.

The main focus of my efforts today was the log pile bypass. About 30ft. (IIRC) before the new log pile there is an opening to the bypass on the right-hand side of the trail. I would estimate that the total bypass is about 100 yards and it took almost 3 hours to complete. It meets back up with the regular trail and should not add or subtract much distance. The bypass will be a little bumpy for awhile and just needs to be ridden more to break it in.

I think this new section adds a little bit of flavor to the trail and for those who are afraid of the large logs can put up with the bumps until the bypass is worn in, after-all... it is mountain biking! Let me know what you think, Happy riding!

Thanks for helping out! I really need guys like you to pick up my slack this summer :-)
purple helmet

Postby ignition16 » August 2nd, 2011, 12:03 pm

I love the new log pile, I was out there the other day, and that thing definitely adds even more fun to the second loop.

The other two loops, though, are getting quite overgrown. Is there some sort of trail day scheduled in the near future? I'd like to help, but don't have much to offer as far as tools go. Maybe I just need to buy a string trimmer for use at my house and just go crazy out there with it some saturday...
ignition16

Postby LuckyCharm4x4 » August 2nd, 2011, 3:05 pm

I just went out and bought some loppers, pruners, a shovel and rake to work on the trail. The loppers work good for the larger twigs. The next thing I have to get are those big scissor looking trimmers, they are awesome for the smaller stuff. I don't know of a trail day, but I can say that it was SUPER humid out today which made it miserable! If you want to get a trail day together we could try to get something going for a day that hopefully isn't so muggy. I'd also be interested in adding more optional obstacles (by optional I mean with bypasses). Is there anything against this?
LuckyCharm4x4

Postby ignition16 » August 2nd, 2011, 5:03 pm

Yeah, I also have a rake, shovel, and a loppers, but thats about it. Though this isn't ideal for hacking back grasses, I am willing to help with other things, and if Tom's ok with it I'd be happy to work on cutting in the Don or adding some more features to the existing trail. Saturday mornings work best for me, and I could even do some this week. Anyone else?
ignition16

Postby purple helmet » August 4th, 2011, 11:52 am

If you guys don't mind, try not to get too carried away just yet. I'll be back from vacation the 15th, we'll get together after that for a ride/planning session. I don't have any relationship with the new land manager yet, so I don't know how far I can push it with new trail/reroutes. We need to stay low key until the new guy trusts us...

Thanks again for helping out
Tom
purple helmet

Postby raymears » August 13th, 2011, 1:25 pm

I saw the bypass for the first time on Thursday - the first-time rider with me squeaked when he saw the log pile and used the bypass. Thanks to LuckyCharm for making the pile ride-able and making the bypass - that's great work.
raymears

Postby LuckyCharm4x4 » August 25th, 2011, 11:25 am

Rode the trail today. It's a little slick out there. Also, there is a lot of overgrowth everywhere and there are 2 trees down on the south section. Log pile or chain saw?
LuckyCharm4x4

Postby Mike_D » August 25th, 2011, 11:48 am

LuckyCharm4x4 wrote:Rode the trail today. It's a little slick out there. Also, there is a lot of overgrowth everywhere and there are 2 trees down on the south section. Log pile or chain saw?

Logpile :!:
Mike_D

Postby Bigtymer » August 25th, 2011, 3:44 pm

There's nothing challenging about a log pile. They just slow you flow down.
Bigtymer
Bigtymer

Postby Mike_D » August 25th, 2011, 4:05 pm

Bigtymer wrote:There's nothing challenging about a log pile. They just slow you flow down.

Agreed but there isn't really anything challenging at Bass anyway (being relatively flat) but the logpiles at least give the trail some flavor.....
Mike_D

Postby LuckyCharm4x4 » August 25th, 2011, 6:27 pm

I agree about the flavor. I like how places like Novi Treefarm usually keep the trees that fall and either build a log ride or pile. Or how Fort Custer cut a section out of the log on the green loop. I like flavor, if I'm just riding down a hard packed trail then I might as well be on the sidewalk. I like being able to do obstacles while maintaining flow.
LuckyCharm4x4

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments