Western: Bass River

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Western: Bass River

Postby purple helmet » June 10th, 2011, 11:47 am

Alright, wife is done with school so now I'm (slightly) more free to work on Bass. Please hit my hotmail account (tommy92AThotmail.com) if you want to be added to my soon-to-be created Bass mailing list. I'm looking to do smaller, short notice (2 or 3 days) trail days thru the summer and fall. I think we'll get more done than having 2 big trail days and begging people to show up.

Once I grab the trimmer from Rick we'll get this party started...
The HCP, where no one can hear you scream.
purple helmet

Postby pharus » June 13th, 2011, 9:18 pm

I rode the trail tonight, and it was one long face slap fest. Lots of fun to ride when you aren't ducking or closing your eyes. There is a tree down at 3.78 miles starting from north to south loops. It is right after the first long sections of raised bed trails. It is too big to move, and to big to ride over - unless you are an uber-expert. I piled up a few logs before and after to try make it rideable, but it would be best just to have it removed.

Bring lots of bug spray.
2013 Niner Jet9 1x10
1995 Pro-Flex 755
pharus

Postby Cutlass454 » June 17th, 2011, 7:43 am

I rode there last night, and agree with the above comments. This was my first ride there, so I was not 100% sure I was getting on the right trail, headed in the right direction. Once on the trail, I noticed the signage and realized I was going the right direction. As soon as I got out of my SUV, I thought the mosquitoes were going to pick me up and carry me away. Good thing for bug spray.
Cutlass454

Postby LuckyCharm4x4 » June 18th, 2011, 6:34 pm

Hey guys, I am new the the area and I have been riding Bass River a few times a week. It's a pretty fun trail and I agree with the bug issues and overgrowth. Also, I'd note that my first time to the park it took me about 20 minutes to find the trailhead and I could never figure out where I should park. I think the trail head needs to have better signage and it would be great to put some info/maps up on the trail info board (in the horse staging area) that is completely empty. I know that I am not the only one who has had the issue as I have helped 2 other people find the trail.

Also, I'd like to see some more advanced obstacles. Although it's already a nice trail, After riding on the east side of the state, Fort Custer, and Edwards Creek I can definitely see some room for improvements. I'd like to see some ladder bridges, log rides and some other optional obstacles. Am I alone in this opinion or does anyone agree?
LuckyCharm4x4

Postby web79 » June 19th, 2011, 8:59 pm

Agreed! I live in jenison so its a short drive for me to take a quick ride on the old Niner. Giant weed whacker needed.
web79

Postby Bigtymer » June 20th, 2011, 12:41 am

Its funny, everyone has all these suggestions for b river and yet no one every shows up for trails days. Its pretty much one guy that does all the work.
Bigtymer
Bigtymer

Postby web79 » June 20th, 2011, 10:00 am

Trail day??? When? Are you the second guy that shows up?? I'd like to help.
web79

Postby Bigtymer » June 20th, 2011, 1:07 pm

Purplehelmet is the guy that organizes the trail days and does a lot of work on his own time.
Bigtymer
Bigtymer

Postby LuckyCharm4x4 » June 20th, 2011, 10:10 pm

I just joined the site but I would definitely help out. I can bring a (cordless recrip.) saw and hammers. I'm game for a trail day! I'm available mostly in the mornings or most weekends. Sundays for sure.
LuckyCharm4x4

Postby purple helmet » June 21st, 2011, 3:52 pm

Alrighty, this Sunday (6/26) at 9 am. Quicky trail day (not to be confused with Trail Day quicky...)

I'll bring some tools, hand snips and loppers would be appreciated. Bring gloves and something to drink. Oh, and bug dope. Lots of bug dope.

I don't have time to really plan something big and wonderful, let's just get the trail rideable. If we somehow end up with extra people, we'll get started on the parking lot connector...

tom
purple helmet

Postby LuckyCharm4x4 » June 22nd, 2011, 10:18 pm

I'll be there in a big noisy green truck! I will have loppers and a pair of pruners as well.
LuckyCharm4x4

Postby LuckyCharm4x4 » June 24th, 2011, 9:35 pm

Is anyone else going to be there?
LuckyCharm4x4

Postby purple helmet » June 25th, 2011, 9:13 am

Looking like a really nice day tomorrow! Come on out and give the trail a little love...
purple helmet

Postby msugrad96 » June 25th, 2011, 8:15 pm

I'll see if I can convince the wife to give me up for a few hours to help out too.
msugrad96

Postby purple helmet » June 27th, 2011, 8:18 am

Happy we got a good start on it...

Hopefully the nightmares about huge thorns go away
purple helmet

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions