Mid-State: Burchfield

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Mid-State: Burchfield

Postby SteveF » May 25th, 2015, 1:36 pm

They must've heard you because most of the meadow areas had been mowed when I rode late this morning! MANY thanks to the park employee or volunteer that took that on! I brought along trimmers on my ride and took out a few slappers, kicked a few branches off the trail but it's really in great shape--not much needed to be done. Too bad it's supposed to be rainy next week...
Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets replaced.
SteveF

Postby SwaggerSpice » June 19th, 2015, 2:37 pm

Bring a snorkel
SwaggerSpice

Postby MFawley » June 19th, 2015, 2:53 pm

Yep, way to wet to ride. Was hoping it would just be a little greasy. NOPE! half mile from mcnamara there is a swamp. Water on the trail and pretty much everywhere. Went to stop and my foot sunk into the ground. Going to be a few days before it's good I figure. Also a tree down not far from the start of mcnamara. Nothing crazy, but will require a chainsaw.
MFawley

Postby reidabel » June 19th, 2015, 3:17 pm

MFawley wrote: Also a tree down not far from the start of mcnamara. Nothing crazy, but will require a chainsaw.

I assume you mean on the advanced mtb trail, but is it outgoing, on the ridge trail (The Timinator), or coming in from the mounds (Smokey and the Bandits)? Not sure I'll get out there, but if I do I don't want to walk (since it's too wet to ride) with the chainsaw in the wrong direction! It's probably on The Timinator because there are more trees there, so if it is, is it before or after the big dip?

I might get out tomorrow morning to do a little building on Hansen's Be-Bop. I hope to see nobody else out there if it's that wet ...
reidabel

Postby MFawley » June 19th, 2015, 4:16 pm

Yeah the advanced trail. Starting at the mcnamara lot, go past the big dip, and it's maybe 100 yards or so past it. If I remember right it's before you cross the two track.
MFawley

Postby eurocycle01 » June 24th, 2015, 7:59 pm

Still in bad shape. Starting from McNamara major flooding anywhere close to the river. Rode walking trails and did actually ride looman's run. That was about the only part of the
loop that was ok to ride without being flooded or major mud holes. Going to take some time to dry out.
eurocycle01

Postby Overdrive » June 25th, 2015, 7:54 pm

It's major wet out there. Dragonball Run and Swamp Thing are submerged.
Adrenaline Nut
Overdrive

Postby SwaggerSpice » July 11th, 2015, 5:31 pm

Went today. Three major things I saw

1) advanced trail as you turn out of river bend- the entry into the ups and downs along the river has fallen into the river along with the large tree that pulled it in. I think a new portion of trail will need to be built

2) on the trail that follows the old fence and the old green garage/shed in the woods following Randy's maze - a tree that has been angled over the trail now is too angled to duck under. It'll probably need to be cut down

3) taking the trail across the river bend entry road - there's a old vine-y tree that fell on the trail. It got tangled up in my bike so some of the lower stuff is cleared.

The trail really took a major hit with all this rain, and with more coming it's not in great shape. The main service trail down The middle is still wet in places, but the rangers have filled in a lot of it with sandy dirt. I'm glad it's no longer submerged but you won't get much speed on it for some time. The mosquitoes are terrible as well. Deet is almost a requirement.

On the bright side, it was fairly dry, jUst a couple of greasy spots in the usual places. Just ignore some of the disaster zone-esque portions of the trail and it's doable despite the recent weather.
SwaggerSpice

Postby SwaggerSpice » July 16th, 2015, 8:52 pm

Advanced trails were mostly dry today! Still damp/wet spots, just plow straight through them to keep the singletrack single. Over by McNamara the blue trail is unpassable by man and bike both. It'll be awhile until its rideable again.

With the rain coming in tonight I'm not certain how well the already soaked trail will do, but as long as we don't get too much of a torrent it may be rideable later this weekend.
SwaggerSpice

Postby xcrdr » July 16th, 2015, 10:32 pm

Good to hear it's getting better. I'm going to head out there with pruners and maybe make a small dent.
It's not your strength or skill. It's your level of commitment.

Specialized Epic Comp Carbon
Redline d660 1X9
Scott Speedster
1995 Giant ATX 890 with 1996 Rock Shox Judy XC still running!
xcrdr

Postby reidabel » July 26th, 2015, 5:40 pm

Rode today. Lots of thorns and vegetation needing to be cut back, but it's passable. The mosquitoes are very bad right now, even bothering me while I was chainsawing (and wearing repellent). I cleared that downed tree at the corner at the top of the hill at the start of Annie's Playhouse, and also a downed branch at the start of the advanced trail near the skinny log. The trail is a bit of a mess due to the recent flooding, particularly a bridge in Bob's Supremacy that floated several feet to the left, leaving a mudhole for people to ride through instead. I don't know how many people it would take to move it back, it looks heavy.

The new berm near the end of Swamp Thing is dry, but there is a mud section at the start of it now, maybe we should put one of those bridges back?

Looks like some mowing was done by a big mower, which is great except for the spot on Serenity where they missed the turn and cut straight through a bunch of vegetation. Looks ugly. Must have been a Strava user ...
reidabel

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments