Mid-State: Burchfield

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Mid-State: Burchfield

Postby zcorbin » September 2nd, 2014, 10:21 am

I may head out today after work if it stays dry today. If I go I will try to remember to post trail conditions.
zcorbin

Postby SteveF » September 3rd, 2014, 12:22 pm

Oh, yeah-getting toward Hornet insanity season-sorry they got you, Don...they got me 4 times last fall! Zcorbin, what did it look like out there?
Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets replaced.
SteveF

Postby Neysahead » September 5th, 2014, 6:22 am

I rode the trails on the north end yesterday. I only encountered one muddy spot; the trail is in much better shape than I am. I didn't make it south of Riverbend, so I can't speak to that half of the park.
Neysahead

Postby xcrdr » September 17th, 2014, 11:50 am

Any idea who needed an ambulance ride off the trail last night?
It's not your strength or skill. It's your level of commitment.

2008 Redline d660 1X9
2013 Santa Cruz Superlight 29
1995 Giant ATX 890 with 1996 Rock Shox Judy XC still running!
xcrdr

Postby reidabel » September 17th, 2014, 2:55 pm

Shaun told me it was a 47-year old guy, but not the name. Something to do with falling on one of the steep downhills near Annie's Playhouse, apparently he has a concussion. If that's his car outside the gate at the Riverbend entrance (silver/gray Vibe), it's covered in wasps. An empty granola bar wrapper is on the ground by the driver's door, but I doubt that's why there are so many. They are swarming over the hood, roof, and trunk. He better take some kill spray out there, because when he climbs in the driver's door I can see a dozen following him in :twisted:

Somebody left a chainring gouge in the third cross-board on the entry to the Dragon's Throat - I suspect the cable saved him from possibly going into the river. The mark indicates the front tire went off the left side. If anybody knows what happened, I'd love to hear how the safety measures performed.
reidabel

Postby plunderspunk » September 26th, 2014, 6:45 pm

a few weeks ago I was fishing on the river, and some guy was trying to ride this stunt directly above me…he tried three times. the first time he fell off and grabbed the wire rail which saved him, but the bike went over. He retrieved it and went again…this time he and the bike went over. He caught himself on the edge of the bank, and didn't roll into the river, but fell into a bunch of poison ivy. OUCH! I asked him if he was ok, and I think I scared him because he startled, and said yeah yeah, and grabbed his bike. He didn't know I was there watching him the whole time. I asked if he was ok or needed any help, and when he declined and got himself and his bike up over the edge of the drop off, I told him I was impressed with his perseverance, and he laughed and said something I didn't quite catch. I thought he was headed out of there after that second close call but he gave it another try, and eventually got through it. He seemed like he couldn't get enough speed to get over the top, and I walked it later and noticed that it would be difficult for me to keep my speed up enough on that stunt to be able to clear it smoothly. I do feel though that the wire helps to provide some safety as you can grab it if you feel yourself going over. It's definitely "exposed" there, and a very cool stunt IMO. I thought the old stunt was ballsy, but this has the old one beat !! Nice job to you guys building an awesome stunt. I haven't gotten up the stones to ride it yet but may try it next year, lol.
Bill ("
A.K.A. Geardaddy
plunderspunk

Postby reidabel » September 27th, 2014, 1:32 pm

Yes, you definitely have to give it a burst of speed as you hit the entry ramp on the Dragon's Throat. Just power up it and coast over the top and all will be fine. Flatten your pedals at the peak, just like most up-and-overs. I'm glad to hear the safety cables are helping somebody out - it makes it worth all the effort involved in putting them in place. They weren't part of the original plan, but it seemed like we needed something there to help people out.

Was that you that made the "Zen rock-stack" thingie down below the stunt?
reidabel

Postby plunderspunk » September 27th, 2014, 3:44 pm

yeah, that was me…you know me too well lol…

BTW…the parking lot at McNamara was completely full this afternoon!! First time I have ever seen that. The trail is in optimal shape, get out and ride!
A.K.A. Geardaddy
plunderspunk

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments