Mid-State: Burchfield

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Mid-State: Burchfield

Postby Jared13 » August 23rd, 2016, 6:25 am

We were able to move the one right after Hellboy on last night's group ride. The other two right shortly after it are still there and will need a chainsaw.
Jared13

Postby Props04 » August 25th, 2016, 7:32 pm

Anyone know what the condition of the trail is after yesterday's rain?
Salsa El Mariachi
Surly ICT
Props04

Postby reidabel » August 27th, 2016, 12:03 pm

The trail was fine this morning, but now thunderstorms have rolled through, so it's probably not going to be okay for a couple of days. Maybe it'll be okay tomorrow, I'm not sure.

I (chainsaw) cleared the Hellboy, Remember Me, Serenity, and Swamp Thing by-the-river trails this morning before the thunder started.
reidabel

Postby reidabel » September 18th, 2016, 8:21 pm

Rode the whole advanced trail this afternoon, all was good except for numerous slimy corners and a fair amount of mud (as usual) in Nathan Dynamite, due to the storms yesterday morning. Otherwise quite good. The stunts were dry, I only rode a few of them on this day. There's an improvised logpile that looked like a chainring-eater between Exxon and Valdez. It will require a chainsaw to remove, and I may not be in that area with a chainsaw any time soon.

I haven't ridden Lollipop in months, now I see there are two small trees across the trail that are causing no problems. I saw what seemed to be a reroute that changed the approach angle to the first rockpile. The bypass sign seems to be still oriented towards where the old route was. The old route was almost impossible to locate, it must have been done a while ago.
reidabel

Postby reidabel » September 22nd, 2016, 7:56 pm

Somebody put a 5" tree on the peak of the Godzilla entrance and wrapped a big vine around it and the roots. I didn't see any reason that somebody would want to block it off, it looked completely normal otherwise, so I cleared it. Somebody riding it blind (yeah, right) would have been in trouble.

Trail is otherwise in good shape, at least the parts of it that we rode. The log pile between Exxon and Valdez is actually rideable, I went over it cleanly today.
reidabel

Postby Jared13 » September 22nd, 2016, 9:21 pm

reidabel wrote:Somebody put a 5" tree on the peak of the Godzilla entrance and wrapped a big vine around it and the roots. I didn't see any reason that somebody would want to block it off, it looked completely normal otherwise, so I cleared it. Somebody riding it blind (yeah, right) would have been in trouble.

Trail is otherwise in good shape, at least the parts of it that we rode. The log pile between Exxon and Valdez is actually rideable, I went over it cleanly today.

It wasn't visible from the beginning of the feature? I never check any of the features before committing, I know I should. Maybe I'll have to start doing that.

Good to hear on the log pile. I haven't made it out there since it was installed.
Jared13

Postby reidabel » September 23rd, 2016, 12:09 pm

If you stood on foot at the start of the Godzilla entrance, you could have seen it, but coming up on a bike, and not expecting it, it wouldn't have been very visible. Maybe you would have seen it, but maybe you would have gotten halfway up the entrance ramp, and been a couple of feet off the ground, with nothing to grab onto and nowhere to touch down, before really noticing it.

On Hellboy, I'll ride the lowest line (The Line With No Name) coming off the trail, then do a visual check before looping back around to do any of the other lines. On Bambi vs. Godzilla, I'll ride Bambi first and visually check the rest. At the start of Dragonball Run, I'll ride the Dragon's Back first and take a look at the Dragon's Throat before riding it. I'm thinking I won't get into too much trouble on the easy lines, even if there is a problem.
reidabel

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions