Mid-State: Burchfield

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Mid-State: Burchfield

Postby reidabel » December 30th, 2014, 10:46 am

There's a culvert system underneath that area, I think it is around a foot in diameter. In addition to where it exits into the swamp, you can see a culvert opening in a hole 20 or 30 feet to the East of the big puddle area. We should check those two areas and see if anything is clogging them. There may be more openings, but I couldn't find any when I was looking around a few months ago, wondering what all that noise was. If clear, it should drain pretty quickly, the water was rushing pretty good and making a lot of noise back then.
reidabel

Postby reidabel » January 3rd, 2015, 2:21 pm

Rode this morning while everything was still frozen. That area before the Hellboy entrance had drained a lot and was frozen when I rode over it, no problems.

The woodwork had some snow on it, but I was able to ride all of the up-and-overs without issue, and even a couple of the stunts themselves didn't prove to be problematic. It may have been unwise to try the Dragon's Throat in these conditions, but I figured I could grab onto something if I had any problems. Not an issue, as you can see in the picture below :)

These conditions are changing quickly, though, it's 33 degrees and raining at home now and the snow outside is turning to slush. So DON'T RIDE HERE TODAY! Wait for it to freeze up again, and watch out for the stunts having that thin film of ice on them that I saw before. Weather.com says it will be only 6 degrees overnight, so a morning ride tomorrow would work, and even with a half inch of snow on the trails, a regular-tire bike will work just fine. Tomorrow's high is 33, so you won't be able to ride the whole day (without making ruts - don't do it!), but after that it's all forecast to be below freezing for days on end. No big snows predicted either, we'll have some good riding coming up!

reidabel

Postby reidabel » January 17th, 2015, 11:10 pm

Does anyone know if Burchfield has been closed to bikes yet? I'm guessing it has, since we have some snow and they have cross-country skiers, but I haven't seen anything official.
reidabel

Postby SteveF » January 18th, 2015, 11:25 am

Shh! :wink: I don't think they've got enough snow to really set ski traks, and after the warm temps and rain, they'll have even less. I'm thinking once things freeze hard again there's going to be some pretty good riding out there...
Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets replaced.
SteveF

Postby Overdrive » January 18th, 2015, 12:04 pm

SteveF wrote:Shh! :wink: I don't think they've got enough snow to really set ski traks, and after the warm temps and rain, they'll have even less. I'm thinking once things freeze hard again there's going to be some pretty good riding out there...

Did a run over there last weekend. They'd set tracks so had to run off to the side. Did see one set of fat tracks (and the truck that brought it there). With temps yesterday and weather today it'll likely trash what was left. I may go over there for a run Monday or Tuesday and will update on conditions if I do.
Adrenaline Nut
Overdrive

Postby SteveF » January 19th, 2015, 7:48 am

Thanks, Anne! Hope it's not as icy as my walk into work today...
SteveF

Postby SteveF » January 24th, 2015, 5:08 pm

"Bike trails closed" sign is up. There's some fat bike tracks out there, though--swamp thing is so well ridden in it looks groomed!
SteveF

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments