Mid-State: Burchfield

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Mid-State: Burchfield

Postby reidabel » March 27th, 2014, 8:28 am

I'm planning on building an up-and-over on that smaller tree that fell a few months ago across Kentaro's Monster (close to the big double-trunk one that fell beside Kentaro's Monster), so nobody cut it, okay? Thanks, ...

This is a section with a couple of up-and-overs already, so this won't make it much, if any, more difficult than it already is. I'm hoping to get bockrona and stevef out for a couple of hours to learn the finer points of how to do it, since they are proud new chainsaw owners and (about to become even more) valuable assets to the community.

As a general rule, please don't cut anything that looks like it might make a good feature ...
reidabel

Postby reidabel » April 9th, 2014, 8:42 pm

Looks like a ton of activity on the Anderson Park trail conditions thread, and they're saying it's ready to ride! Burchfield is still CLOSED to bikes, according to signage at the Riverbend lot. I did a pre-season maintenance inspection of my stunts today, and saw a few deep ruts from riders not following the rules. Not a lot of riders, just a few, and probably nobody who is reading this - I think we all know to stay off of Burchfield's trails for now. Talked to a couple in their vehicle in the parking lot and convinced them to stay out of the muddy parts. I think I yelled over to them later without realizing it was the same couple I had already talked to. At least they were on fat bikes and on the beginner trail. Nice matching orange/white outfits, too :-)

The stunts were all in good shape, though somebody was at it again trying to modify the entry to the Hansen's Be-Bop stunt, trying to make it easier to get onto. Unbelievably, one of their modifications was to put little sticks down in front of the 2x4 entry board - I guess that imperceptible 2-inch step-up was just not smooth enough! There's a new large uprooted tree caught up and hanging over the exit of this stunt, but I don't think it's in danger of coming down - it has a fork way up high leaning against another tree, one on each side. I wish it was possible to cut it down, because it could be used to add another leg to that stunt. As it is, down on the ground there is some stuff to clear that broke off of it, and a chainsaw may be needed. Hellboy's Pitchfork line also needs a chainsaw to remove a large fallen branch in its fall zone. The new up-and-over fifty yards into the Hellboy trail itself appears to be the victim of warping and twisting of the fallen treetop it is built on. I'm going to have to pull it out and reposition it - though it probably can be ridden, the entry ramp is a couple of inches up in the air, and the downramp is tilted at an odd angle.

The new stunt named the Dragon's Throat, beside the river at the start of Dragonball Run, was left for the winter with several orange ribbons blocking it, and the entry and exit not built. Somehow, the orange ribbons were all taken down - could it have been the ice storm? Or did somebody do it intentionally? I don't know, but there was one tire track up on top, and I don't know whether or not it was from my test rides a few months ago, or from somebody who ripped down the ribbons and put their bike up on top - with muddy tires. Hmm ...

I didn't get over to the usual muddy spots, like Swamp Thing, but they are probably still too muddy to ride, if not actually underwater. The trailbed of Hansen's Be-Bop actually looked pretty good, except for that soft spot that always exists 30 yards past the new stunt.

Hopefully we don't get a large amount of rain that results in flooding again, and maybe the park will be able to open our trails for us soon. I should be able to take care of these few stunt-related tasks myself this weekend. Jeff, Shaun, have you guys awoken from hibernation yet?
reidabel

Postby Overdrive » April 9th, 2014, 8:57 pm

Was over at the park Monday for a run. Mostly kept to the two-track bits. Can confirm that Swamp Thing is under water and will be for awhile. May go run there again early tomorrow and check out Loomans/Dynamite stretch and see how they are doing.

During XC ski season the ribbons were up on Dragon's Throat so likely removal. Saw three sets of tire tracks on our run, sounds like there may be more now?
Might keep folks off the trails now if the park did a better job of signing the no bikes for those that don't know the drill.
Adrenaline Nut
Overdrive

Postby reidabel » April 9th, 2014, 9:13 pm

Makes me wonder what kind of individual would remove orange ribbons blocking an obviously unfinished and unrideable stunt.

I don't think I saw more than three sets of tracks, though I did see two bikes riding today, adding more tracks. Also a tan camry with an empty bike rack that probably held a bike that was adding tracks while I was out there. I saw deep bike tracks in the skiing area near the Riverbend lot, so I don't think those riders knew the trails very well. Hopefully they didn't find the advanced loop!

Additional signage is a great idea. I picked up a nice one at the Poto chapter meeting the other day, so I will try to remember to put it up out there when I go next, possibly Saturday morning. I didn't remember it until I had already been out there for an hour today.
reidabel

Postby Overdrive » April 12th, 2014, 11:01 am

For those that don't check the chapter thread:
The spring meeting of the MMMBA is April 19th @ Buddies in Holt, 5-7 pm.
http://www.facebook.com/events/764177406934701/
Adrenaline Nut
Overdrive

Postby reidabel » April 12th, 2014, 2:18 pm

Cleared large fallen things that were clogging up the Hansen's Be-Bop stunt exit line, and a smaller thing in the fall zone for Hellboy's Pitchfork line. Put the orange ribbons back up on the Dragon's Throat. Fixed the new up-and-over on the Hellboy trail, it rides well in both directions again. Cleared the Hellboy trail and added a fairly large rock to the rock garden at the entrance to the Hellboy trail. It's rollable, no chainring bite, but I had to put it beside the existing small log and add another on the other side of it, for it to be rollable. It should be solid enough to last for a while, maybe not forever.

Saw six guys with little remote-controlled cars in the Riverbend lot, heading out onto the trails. I wouldn't be surprised if they try to use them on the stunts, but the boards might be too far apart for them to roll on. I hope they don't modify anything. Only saw a pair of riders riding the closed trails, told them to stay out of the mud. Was told they had no choice(!), told them they can always get off the bike and walk around it. Pretty good compliance going on if that's all I saw in over three hours on a beautiful day like today.
reidabel

Postby F7Cannon » April 12th, 2014, 8:33 pm

I saw three cars each with 2-3 Mountain Bikes on the back pulling into Burchfield on my way back from Anderson this evening. :roll:
Shaun - Burchfield Assistant Trail Coordinator

08 Trek 6000
09 Bianchi Sok 29er Rigid SS- 20.5 lbs
11 MARIN Lombard
12 Scott Scale Team 29er 1x10

2012 Miles SS-3140 Geared-79 Road Bike-851
2013 Miles SS-722 Geared-807 Road Bike-299
2014 Miles SS-42 Road Bike-33
F7Cannon

Postby xcrdr » April 12th, 2014, 9:05 pm

Cool. Maybe they chased off the RC car guys. They have wrecked some stuff in the past. New generation guys. Its all about me!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
It's not your strength or skill. It's your level of commitment.

2008 Redline d660 1X9
2013 Santa Cruz Superlight 29
1995 Giant ATX 890 with 1996 Rock Shox Judy XC still running!
xcrdr

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments