Mid-State: Burchfield

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Mid-State: Burchfield

Postby SteveF » November 24th, 2013, 5:07 pm

I took a couple of hours and cleared pretty much every thing in Annies that could be cleared with handtools and a middle aged back. There's 3-4 trees big enough that they require chainsawing. I don't think any are worth keeping for log overs as such-they're in awkward spots mainly, but I'll leave that to the trail boss to decide.

I cleared a way under the widowmaker on Forest Hump. It can be ridden under but do so at your own risk--only a matter of time before this comes tumblin' down, and it's big. (my bike is just before it in this pic) I'm not sure how to get it out of there safely-someone with more experience than me will have to take a crack at it.

Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets replaced.
SteveF

Postby Biggredd911 » November 24th, 2013, 6:05 pm

Thumbs up to the crew! Saw three guys clearing the trail and man do they have their work cut out for them! Trees are down EVERYWHERE! I moved some, but others are waaaaay too heavy.

Thanks again to the crew; you guys rule!
DIRT- Specialized Camber Comp Carbon- Frankensteined
SNOW- Surly Pugsley... the original fat bike
ROAD- Mustang GT
Biggredd911

Postby Biggredd911 » November 24th, 2013, 6:09 pm

reidabel wrote:On the same subject, I removed a tangle across the Hellboy trail this morning, near the start, but left a small tree down across it - I want to build an easy up-and-over there to give that part of the trail some more character. I wrote "DO NOT CUT" on it, so I'm hoping nobody cuts it! I didn't see all of these other trees that people are talking about, I'm busy with a new build that Jeff (the TC) and I are doing on Dragonball Run. We'll be out there tomorrow morning if anybody wants to drop by Dragonball and check it out.

I saw that! You should look into ice sculpturing with that chainsaw man!
DIRT- Specialized Camber Comp Carbon- Frankensteined
SNOW- Surly Pugsley... the original fat bike
ROAD- Mustang GT
Biggredd911

Postby SteveF » November 24th, 2013, 6:34 pm

Biggredd911 wrote:Thumbs up to the crew! Saw three guys clearing the trail and man do they have their work cut out for them! Trees are down EVERYWHERE! I moved some, but others are waaaaay too heavy.

Thanks again to the crew; you guys rule!

650b is too much hype for 1.1 inches more. Do the math.

You're welcome. Funny, though-my bike in the pic just above your post is 650b-wheeled. I assure you, it's not hype. It's being hyped by a lot of bike companies now, but that doesn't diminish the awesomeness of the 'tweener wheel...
SteveF

Postby F7Cannon » November 24th, 2013, 6:42 pm

Thanks Steve. I have the day off tomorrow so I am going to try to get a chainsaw and start clearing what I can. Did you have any luck with those trees that you were going to attempt to cut right before I left today? If not I will take care of those tomorrow.
Shaun - Burchfield Assistant Trail Coordinator

08 Trek 6000
09 Bianchi Sok 29er Rigid SS- 20.5 lbs
11 MARIN Lombard
12 Scott Scale Team 29er 1x10

2012 Miles SS-3140 Geared-79 Road Bike-851
2013 Miles SS-722 Geared-807 Road Bike-299
2014 Miles SS-284 Geared-587 Road Bike-111
F7Cannon

Postby SteveF » November 24th, 2013, 7:06 pm

F7Cannon wrote:Thanks Steve. I have the day off tomorrow so I am going to try to get a chainsaw and start clearing what I can. Did you have any luck with those trees that you were going to attempt to cut right before I left today? If not I will take care of those tomorrow.

I got two out of three on swamp thing! Not bad for an 8" folding saw. Best as I can recall, there is the tangle by the old log pile on Bob's Sup, two along the river past Dragonball, then the one that came down on the bridge on Swamp thing, then the one near the end of swamp thing that I didn't get. There was one by the lean to as well-can't recall if I was able to get that one. There are 3-4 on Annie's Playhouse, starting on the fast downhill to the ridge, then another on the downhill from the ridge and a couple on the twisty switchback sections right after. Then there's the huge one on Kentaro's that Reid wants. Then there's the widowmaker on Forest Hump pictured above, and then one right past the optional rockpile on Nathan's Dyno. Then the big pine tree at the end of Nathan's where I think a reroute would be best, with an eye toward a log ride maybe someday. Take a look if you get a chance (Reid, you too) and see what you think!

BidRed mentioned that he saw three people working on the trail and I don't think he saw me. I only saw one other rider and he was on a 26" Yeti, not a 29" Specialized. Wonder who else was working and what they was working on? Maybe he saw Reid doing his stunt thing, or maybe there less to do now than we saw, Shaun, if some other guys were helping out that we didn't see?

Steve
SteveF

Postby reidabel » November 24th, 2013, 7:22 pm

I saw exactly three people go past me blowing leaves off of the beginner trail that parallels Dragonball Run, sometime before Noon today. They had a Gator, so I suspect they were park employees. If not, I want my own Gator for stuntbuilding! The park employees leave the mtb trailwork up to us, don't they? I don't know for sure, but if they leave it to us, there won't be anything additional cleared on our trails. There's a new guy helping us out on the trailwork, but he's been busy with other things for a couple of weekends now, so it won't be him. I've emailed him and asked him not to clear anything that looks buildable, so we should be good there.
reidabel

Postby F7Cannon » November 24th, 2013, 7:43 pm

reidabel wrote:I saw exactly three people go past me blowing leaves off of the beginner trail that parallels Dragonball Run, sometime before Noon today. They had a Gator, so I suspect they were park employees. If not, I want my own Gator for stuntbuilding! The park employees leave the mtb trailwork up to us, don't they? I don't know for sure, but if they leave it to us, there won't be anything additional cleared on our trails. There's a new guy helping us out on the trailwork, but he's been busy with other things for a couple of weekends now, so it won't be him. I've emailed him and asked him not to clear anything that looks buildable, so we should be good there.

Yeah that was the park crew. I wish it was a two way deal because I have blown off the main trails many of times. Oh well, it is what it is. I won't be able to get out there tomorrow as planned. No access to a chainsaw. Just add it to the list of things that our chapter does not own that I have been asking for for years. :roll:
Shaun - Burchfield Assistant Trail Coordinator

08 Trek 6000
09 Bianchi Sok 29er Rigid SS- 20.5 lbs
11 MARIN Lombard
12 Scott Scale Team 29er 1x10

2012 Miles SS-3140 Geared-79 Road Bike-851
2013 Miles SS-722 Geared-807 Road Bike-299
2014 Miles SS-284 Geared-587 Road Bike-111
F7Cannon

Postby SteveF » November 25th, 2013, 9:06 am

Oh, right, the Park guys. Yeah, they're prepping the easy/main trails for X-country skiing. Shaun, did you see they had one of their Gators parked across the trail right after the Swamp Thing exit? I peeked in the back to see if they had a chainsaw I could borrow but there wasn't nothing useful... :wink:
SteveF

Postby Overdrive » November 25th, 2013, 4:34 pm

Worked on Nathan Dynamite this afternoon. Put in a new line at the end of the pines as a bypass / trail reroute around the downed pine. Next up was going backwards on the trail and clearing debris from the trail bed on the way to the downed tree by the rock pile. Took care of removing that tree.

Headed back toward the pines and got into a real mess just as you leave that flat low area after the ground bridges and before making a left. There was the makings of a widow maker in a maze of vines. Finally got it down/out but won't tackle something like that again w/o company and better gear.

Think the only obstruction between the RiverBend driveway crossing and McNamarra lot is the widow maker by the A-frame that Steve trimmed back. If D and I can get out there together we'll bring a rope and saw and work on taking that one down. Might be the weekend before we can get to it.

Last edited by Overdrive on November 26th, 2013, 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Adrenaline Nut
Overdrive

Postby SteveF » November 26th, 2013, 9:19 am

Nice work, Anne! That pine tree is a big 'un, eh? What do you think of scalping it for a log ride?
SteveF

Postby xcrdr » November 26th, 2013, 9:56 am

Overdrive wrote:Worked on Nathan Dynamite this afternoon. Put in a new line at the end of the pines as a bypass / trail reroute around the downed pine. Next up was going backwards on the trail and clearing debris from the trail bed on the way to the downed tree by the log pile. Took care of removing that tree.

Headed back toward the pines and got into a real mess just as you leave that flat low area after the ground bridges and before making a left. There was the makings of a widow maker in a maze of vines. Finally got it down/out but won't tackle something like that again w/o company and better gear.

Think the only obstruction between the RiverBend driveway crossing and McNamarra lot is the widow maker by the A-frame that Steve trimmed back. If D and I can get out there together we'll bring a rope and saw and work on taking that one down. Might be the weekend before we can get to it.

Nice work Anne, you are awesome!
It's not your strength or skill. It's your level of commitment.

2008 Redline d660 1X9
2013 Santa Cruz Superlight 29
1995 Giant ATX 890 with 1996 Rock Shox Judy XC still running!
xcrdr

Postby Overdrive » November 26th, 2013, 10:39 am

Thanks. Both of you have been doing loads of work there as well. With all of us pitching in the trail gets super quicker.
Meanwhile the stunt masters are hard at work making new goodies.

The downed pine might make a ride. On quick look it might need a bit of added lumber for getting on it. Off line would need a bit of trail added given where it ends

Update: out for a sunrise trail ride today. The new line in the pines, it's a bit abrupt to hit it but the rest is good. Can take the turn wide and then bring it back in. Riding it when the dirt is soft will likely help berm it up a bit.
Adrenaline Nut
Overdrive

Postby SteveF » November 28th, 2013, 5:59 pm

I claimed first tracks in the season's first snow this morning! On the advanced sections anyway. Still 8 or so logs down. I cut out another small one and used it to put a half-assed ramp over one of the big ones.

SteveF

Postby SteveF » December 1st, 2013, 11:23 am

Cleared the logs on Annie's this morning with my shiny new chainsaw! That is some hard work. Hope to get a few more next chance I have...
SteveF

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments