Mid-State: Burchfield

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Mid-State: Burchfield

Postby reidabel » September 10th, 2011, 7:04 pm

Rode this afternoon, lots of slimy corners after all of that rain. Otherwise mostly fine. I cleaned up the new ridge trail by McNamara, and Bob's Supremacy didn't seem to need much attention, though it could be made cleaner. The new log pile is still solid and I rode it 1-for-1 without problems. I cleaned up Serenity as well. The river trail near Bob's has a tree down across the trail, but since it hasn't been mentioned, I'm guessing it's not part of the planned race route. I didn't ride any part of Swamp Thing, or Dragonball Run, or the Randy's/Annie's/Kentaro/Red Route/Forest Hump/Nathan Dynamite area, so I don't know if those are clean or not. I'm sure somebody will tidy those up tomorrow - maybe even me.
reidabel

Postby pfox90 » September 13th, 2011, 12:38 pm

Rode out there this morning. Trail is in much better shape all around than it was earlier in the season. Less mosquitos, slimy trails and overgrowth although we didn't ride the section out by loopmans. Swamp thing by the river is in great shape thanks for trimming it back. Still muddy where the new bridges are going in and I enjoyed the ramp.

Pat
------__o
----_`\<,_
---(_)/ (_)
pfox90

Re: Re: Mid-State: Burchfield

Postby jonw9 » September 13th, 2011, 1:04 pm

pfox90 wrote:Rode out there this morning. Trail is in much better shape all around than it was earlier in the season. Less mosquitos, slimy trails and overgrowth although we didn't ride the section out by loopmans. Swamp thing by the river is in great shape thanks for trimming it back. Still muddy where the new bridges are going in and I enjoyed the ramp.

Pat

Which areas have the overgrowth issues? That is besides the open field areas.
"Seriously though, you clearly think a lot more than I do when you are riding." -jajones
"You're going to suffer on a single speed, you might as well suffer going faster." - Indigenous
jonw9

Postby pfox90 » September 13th, 2011, 1:17 pm

Idk? I was saying there isn't much of an issue now?
------__o
----_`\<,_
---(_)/ (_)
pfox90

Re: Re: Mid-State: Burchfield

Postby jonw9 » September 13th, 2011, 1:38 pm

pfox90 wrote:Idk? I was saying there isn't much of an issue now?

Oh, I though you were stating less mosquitoes, but still slimey and overgrown. You were sating that there is less of all three?
"Seriously though, you clearly think a lot more than I do when you are riding." -jajones
"You're going to suffer on a single speed, you might as well suffer going faster." - Indigenous
jonw9

Postby pfox90 » September 13th, 2011, 1:46 pm

That would be correct.
------__o
----_`\<,_
---(_)/ (_)
pfox90

Postby TenSpeed » September 13th, 2011, 4:34 pm

Trail was pretty nice today. Swamp Thing looks pretty good so far. The part by the river is really nice now. Also rode Dragonball for the first time in a long while. Forgot how cool that part is.
2014 miles/goal: 3120/2500
2015 miles/goal: 5019/5000
2016 miles/goal: 4020/6000
TenSpeed

Postby reidabel » September 13th, 2011, 9:02 pm

At first I thought doing Dragonball Run backwards was too dangerous and too difficult, but now that I've seen others ride all those stunts and have been able to do it myself a few times, it IS good. I think people are riding Serenity all the way, then doubling back on the beginner trail to ride Dragonball backwards ... once Swamp Thing is fully completed, all of this will tie together nicely.
reidabel

Postby Paul_D » September 15th, 2011, 11:23 am

Does backwards mean running Dragonball Run so it ends at the new log ride where Serentity also ends?

If so, thats the way we have been running it, then shooting into Swamp Thing from there. Great route.

I am confused about when to run the section that goes around the pond, up the hill with the rubber mat. and gives you a few downhill options.
-Paul

"You deserve what you settle for"
Paul_D

Postby jonw9 » September 15th, 2011, 11:31 am

Paul_D wrote:Does backwards mean running Dragonball Run so it ends at the new log ride where Serentity also ends?

If so, thats the way we have been running it, then shooting into Swamp Thing from there. Great route.

I am confused about when to run the section that goes around the pond, up the hill with the rubber mat. and gives you a few downhill options.

Correct. It is in reference to old direction when the river was on your right. Backwards is river on your left.
jonw9

Postby reidabel » September 15th, 2011, 7:48 pm

Paul_D wrote:I am confused about when to run the section that goes around the pond, up the hill with the rubber mat. and gives you a few downhill options.

That section didn't make it into the advanced MTB loop, as far as I am aware. For a while, you could make a nice loop by doing Swamp Thing By The River, then heading South on the beginner trail and doing the Berm Trail, then going up the hill you refer to behind the fishing dock, then to the lot and out to ride Swamp Thing in the previous direction. However, now that hill is basically for when you are riding around on trails you haven't seen in a while.

Is anybody riding the center line on Hansen's Be-Bop, the one that has a 2 or 3-foot drop-off? It looks like nothing compared to what we see on YouTube, but I bet you have to do something about getting your front tire up and off the edge, or you'll nose-dive and quite possibly get injured ... maybe somebody can show me sometime? I bet you and Steve do it regularly ...
reidabel

Postby pfox90 » September 15th, 2011, 8:10 pm

My buddy does the second line. Right now I won't touch the thing a lot of it is rutted out. He just gets the speed built up and lifts the front end.. I think it's about getting to a fast enough speed to get your back tire off the stunt when you leave it in the front, more than anything.
------__o
----_`\<,_
---(_)/ (_)
pfox90

Postby AllMountin' » September 15th, 2011, 9:30 pm

Does the lead up to the middle line allow you to run it at speed now? I know for a while there, the first part was missing and the only way to mount it was to start up the left line and transfer on to the section with the drop where they were a couple inches apart. At the time, it could only be run slowly, which is how I ride it. I personally ride off of it in first gear (middle ring) and hold a wheelie until the rear drops off the end. I'm pretty sure I do it from the standing position, but it probably won't matter as long as you don't land sitting. ;-) Pain would ensue...

Obviously- practicing off of a smaller drop is a smart idea. If you drop the front down too soon, an endo is virtually guaranteed.

I prefer either of the right two lines to the left. The left is probably the easiest, but somehow it's the one I run most poorly at slow speed.
--=Steve=--

Tom Robbins wrote:It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
AllMountin'

Postby reidabel » September 15th, 2011, 9:38 pm

Hmm ... reminds me of something that may be the same idea - I've ridden with a guy named Todd a couple of times now, just running into him on the trail out there. Tall, no helmet, (purple car I think), rides the stunts. He rode the Serenity Stunt and instead of coming off the drop by letting his front wheel go directly down to the ground, he basically did a wheelie off the edge to keep the front tire up long enough for the back tire to come off the drop so that both of them would come down together. Maybe I'll practice it on some lower spots like the Serenity stunt first.
reidabel

Postby reidabel » September 15th, 2011, 9:46 pm

Wrote the previous post before seeing AllMountin's ...

AllMountin' wrote:Does the lead up to the middle line allow you to run it at speed now? I know for a while there, the first part was missing and the only way to mount it was to start up the left line and transfer on to the section with the drop where they were a couple inches apart.

That middle line entry was very wobbly in the past, I wouldn't trust it, though I'm not sure what it's like now.

AllMountin' wrote:Obviously- practicing off of a smaller drop is a smart idea. If you drop the front down too soon, an endo is virtually guaranteed.

Yep, don't want to do that - that's how I got hurt before. I'll practice the wheelie thing down low.

AllMountin' wrote:I prefer either of the right two lines to the left. The left is probably the easiest, but somehow it's the one I run most poorly at slow speed.

For me, the left is easiest slow, and I got dumped on my head the first time I tried it because I didn't know what I was doing. I tried going fast and seated and nose-dived. I like the right line, and for me it works best going faster. Since you mentioned taking the turn to the left on it, I've tried it with some success lately.
reidabel

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions