Mid-State: Burchfield

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Mid-State: Burchfield

Postby xcrdr » August 31st, 2011, 9:41 pm

Old school building on existing logs and downfall just didn't last in some cases. I like alot of what Refuge has done. It would worry me a bit to have the elevation of some of the stunts. The skinnies that are 2 feet or so off the ground are just as fun for most riders and the risk of injury isn't as high.
It's not your strength or skill. It's your level of commitment.

Specialized Epic Comp Carbon
Redline d660 1X10
2016 Specialized Diverge Elite DSW
1995 Giant ATX 890 with 1996 Rock Shox Judy XC still running!
Specialized Stumpjumper FSR 6Fattie Carbon

2015 Goal: Ride some
2016 Goal: Ride more
xcrdr

Postby jonw9 » August 31st, 2011, 10:00 pm

xcrdr wrote:Old school building on existing logs and downfall just didn't last in some cases. I like alot of what Refuge has done. It would worry me a bit to have the elevation of some of the stunts. The skinnies that are 2 feet or so off the ground are just as fun for most riders and the risk of injury isn't as high.

Yeah, I forgot to mention that aspect. Another stunt was taken offline last year because the fallen tree it was built upon would no longer hold a nail or screw, and things were getting cobbled together.

Yes, the height is a bit much on some features out there. Honestly, I would ride around many of those shown because the penalty for mistakes is a bit more than I am willing to risk. However, something like the "Dragon's back" would be super fun on Swamp Thing. Agreed that 9' is too much, but making some undulating boardwalk would be cool.
"Seriously though, you clearly think a lot more than I do when you are riding." -jajones
"You're going to suffer on a single speed, you might as well suffer going faster." - Indigenous
jonw9

Postby TenSpeed » August 31st, 2011, 10:04 pm

I would like something high, but not that skinny. I would be willing to help with this.
2014 miles/goal: 3120/2500
2015 miles/goal: 5019/5000
2016 miles/goal: 4020/6000
TenSpeed

Postby Steve_Balogh » September 5th, 2011, 6:00 pm

Decided to ride a trail I haven't done in several years on Labor Day today. Good shape, everything was pretty dry, the few mud puddles didn't amount to anything. Hard to remember, but I'm thinking there's more trail now than the last time I rode Burchfield. Enjoyed. 8)
Steve_Balogh

Postby jonw9 » September 5th, 2011, 6:15 pm

Steve_Balogh wrote:Decided to ride a trail I haven't done in several years on Labor Day today. Good shape, everything was pretty dry, the few mud puddles didn't amount to anything. Hard to remember, but I'm thinking there's more trail now than the last time I rode Burchfield. Enjoyed. 8)

I thought that was you gearing up the Fatbike when I was out there. About 4 of us were delivering bridge beams for Swamp Thing.
There is some new field, and reroutes added within the last year.

Send me a PM before you come over next time, and I will come over and ride with you.

PS, let me know when you get the video that you shot uploaded. Thanks!
"Seriously though, you clearly think a lot more than I do when you are riding." -jajones
"You're going to suffer on a single speed, you might as well suffer going faster." - Indigenous
jonw9

Postby AllMountin' » September 5th, 2011, 10:09 pm

Forgot to mention that I rode Reid's new stunt on Sunday evening. I tried it blind and ended up stopping on top of it, not wanting to endo. Went back and ran it clean the 2nd time, without issue. I found the steep exit to be just fine and it works well with the little tree slalom there.

Nice job Reid. Very professional stuff.

Things overall aren't bad out there. I think we can have the place shipshape without too much work in time for the TT...
--=Steve=--

Tom Robbins wrote:It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
AllMountin'

Postby Steve_Balogh » September 5th, 2011, 11:14 pm

jonw9 wrote:
Steve_Balogh wrote:Decided to ride a trail I haven't done in several years on Labor Day today. Good shape, everything was pretty dry, the few mud puddles didn't amount to anything. Hard to remember, but I'm thinking there's more trail now than the last time I rode Burchfield. Enjoyed. 8)

I thought that was you gearing up the Fatbike when I was out there. About 4 of us were delivering bridge beams for Swamp Thing.
There is some new field, and reroutes added within the last year.

Send me a PM before you come over next time, and I will come over and ride with you.

PS, let me know when you get the video that you shot uploaded. Thanks!

Thanks! Was a spur of the moment thing, I also was debating Ionia, but I left too late to make it worthwhile. Burchfield was closer, plus I really explored Burchfield as much as possible. All the climbs were doable by the Fatbike, got some good vids of the rock gardens along the river.
Steve_Balogh

Postby jonw9 » September 6th, 2011, 6:50 am

AllMountin' wrote:Things overall aren't bad out there. I think we can have the place shipshape without too much work in time for the TT...

We are having a trail day this Saturday, 9 am at Riverbend to start getting things in order. We will need to do some work getting the bridges together once the park moves them into place, and start the cleanup.

Bring your bike and some pruners, and you can just ride along the trail clearing debris and face slappers.
jonw9

Postby reidabel » September 6th, 2011, 10:03 am

I think some racers might be "preparing" the course ahead of time - I saw a handful of cut-corner reroutes on Randy's Maze yesterday that look like they are designed to speed travel. That's too bad, I liked the trail as it was. Speaking of which, there are a few spots where people have made things easier at Burchfield, sadly.

Disclaimer - maybe they weren't racers, maybe this wasn't done to speed things up. And of course it isn't everybody that's doing this, just a select few, I'm sure.
reidabel

Postby jonw9 » September 6th, 2011, 10:07 am

reidabel wrote:I think some racers might be "preparing" the course ahead of time - I saw a handful of cut-corner reroutes on Randy's Maze yesterday that look like they are designed to speed travel. That's too bad, I liked the trail as it was. Speaking of which, there are a few spots where people have made things easier at Burchfield, sadly.

Disclaimer - maybe they weren't racers, maybe this wasn't done to speed things up. And of course it isn't everybody that's doing this, just a select few, I'm sure.

There are many places (Anderson, Burchfield, and probably every trail) where riders will take the path of least resistance, or make that path. If there is a root, rock, or bump that requires some sort of technical ability, there will shortly be a path around it. I guess it is the nature of the beast.

I doubt it is racers prepping for the Oct. 2 event, since that route hasn't been finalized, or announced. Many sections will be "taped" off to prevent the cutting of corners and such.
jonw9

Postby reidabel » September 6th, 2011, 10:29 am

So true. When do we find out the exact route that will be used? I'm guessing that riding the stunts will not be part of the race course ...

I'm actually considering signing up for this, which would be my first one ever. Are there age categories for it? If so, what are they? Is it a group start, and if not, how far apart are people sent out? Yeah, I know, basic questions ...

Thanks, Jon.
reidabel

Postby jonw9 » September 6th, 2011, 11:02 am

reidabel wrote:So true. When do we find out the exact route that will be used? I'm guessing that riding the stunts will not be part of the race course ...

I'm actually considering signing up for this, which would be my first one ever. Are there age categories for it? If so, what are they? Is it a group start, and if not, how far apart are people sent out? Yeah, I know, basic questions ...

Thanks, Jon.

Actual route will probably be the week of the event. Perhaps at a group ride prior to that.
The trail will be marked a few days before the race. there will be no stints included, but several of the log crossings will remain.
There would be 2 categories for you, A or B. A is the more advanced group.
Time trial is individual start, perhaps a pair of riders. Typically 30 seconds apart riders will leave the gate.
http://www.bikereg.com/events/register. ... ntid=13563
jonw9

Postby jonw9 » September 9th, 2011, 9:50 pm

Roots on the first portion were a little slick today. The trail was a bit slimey in a few places, but not overly wet.
I wasn't around to know how much rain fell yesterday, but the heavy rain we had a bit ago won't help.

Some new deadfall around.

The new bridge beam skinny was fun.I gave it a shop a couple times. It isn't as easy as it looks (for me).

They were out grading the Riverbend road. I am not sure how much it helped, but it was done. Possibly for the triathlon perhaps?
jonw9

Postby reidabel » September 9th, 2011, 10:06 pm

jonw9 wrote:The new bridge beam skinny was fun.I gave it a shot a couple times. It isn't as easy as it looks (for me).

Where is that - on Swamp Thing? When I was out on Monday, it still had the green fence blocking the (new) entrance after riding the section by the river. Is the whole thing currently open? I know there is trailwork planned there for Sunday, but is it open right now? I ask because I'm considering riding and/or playing disc golf there tomorrow (Saturday), by parking at the McNamara lot and biking in to the disc golf course, which should be VERY devoid of players due to the triathlon. I like it much better when nobody's there.
reidabel

Postby jonw9 » September 10th, 2011, 7:47 am

reidabel wrote:
jonw9 wrote:The new bridge beam skinny was fun.I gave it a shot a couple times. It isn't as easy as it looks (for me).

Where is that - on Swamp Thing? When I was out on Monday, it still had the green fence blocking the (new) entrance after riding the section by the river. Is the whole thing currently open? I know there is trailwork planned there for Sunday, but is it open right now? I ask because I'm considering riding and/or playing disc golf there tomorrow (Saturday), by parking at the McNamara lot and biking in to the disc golf course, which should be VERY devoid of players due to the triathlon. I like it much better when nobody's there.

The skinny is a bridge beam laying on the ground. It isn't a permanent fixture, and will be gone tomorrow.

Swamp Thing is still closed off. I do not think it is officially open, but I was out again preriding the TT course. The main reason it is closed is the lack of bridges, and debris. I think after the trail day tomorrow, we might be able to open things up, but the bridges won't be complete yet.
jonw9

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions