Mid-State: Burchfield

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Mid-State: Burchfield

Postby mjpo » August 30th, 2011, 6:10 pm

reidabel wrote:
Wondering if any stunts or work can be done on the trails that are not open to disc golfers and skiers, like Randy's, Frank's, Annie's, etc.

Sure stunts can be built. Reid just built one the other day. What kind of work are you hoping to do? Run it by Jeff (mjpo) and I am sure something can be worked out.

I'm pretty sure he knows stunts can be built, but what is meant by "trails not open to disc golfers and skiers"? I don't think any of the advanced MTB loop is open to them, so that's the place to build.

Yes, it all needs to be cleared with Jeff (the Trail Coordinator, or TC, for those who don't know) ahead of time, and certain rules need to be followed, particularly that you can't use any lumber that isn't pressure treated and it can't be smaller than 2" dimensional. By dimensional, it means the stated size. In reality a 2"x4" is only something like 1.5" x 3.5", if you can believe that, but it says 2", so it qualifies. Also, apparently there are special resistant screws that you should use for treated wood. Some of Burchfield's older stunts do not follow these rules, but these are the current rules. Also, no articulating features, nothing should be intended to move while the rider is on it. For example, this rules out teeter-totters. And hamster wheels. Carousels.

Each stunt needs to have a bypass and ideally the bypass should be the main trail, so that a rider has to purposely go off the main trail to ride the stunt.

Then there is the obvious rule about not making it unsafe. I aim, though may not always succeed as much as I would like, to make the entry difficult if the exit is difficult. I don't want anybody nonchalantly cruising up onto something and finding a nasty surprise at the end.

People are supposed to walk any new stunt before they ride it, but I think people assume that if something is there - it's safe to ride it.

This info is all correct about how to build the stunts. With regards to "where"...they need to be on the advanced singletrack. We need to stay out of the way of the x-country skiers and the grooming equipment that is used. Also, I have a bunch of wood available. Let me know what you are thinking about doing.
Jeff

Before You Speak....Ask Yourself
...is it kind?
...it it true?
...is it necessary?
Does it improve upon the silence?
mjpo

Postby TenSpeed » August 30th, 2011, 6:30 pm

Is there a limit as to how high something could be? Like if you built a bridge of sorts, maybe on Randy's or Frank's, as some sort of a technical bypass of the trail.
2014 miles/goal: 3120/2500
2015 miles/goal: 5019/5000
2016 miles/goal: 3940/6000
TenSpeed

Postby xcrdr » August 30th, 2011, 8:43 pm

I have been parking at McNamara lot lately because there are far less mosquitos. It works out well when I wash those mud splatters off on the steps. I can get my tires clean and not lose a quart of blood.
It's not your strength or skill. It's your level of commitment.

Specialized Epic Comp Carbon
Redline d660 1X10
2016 Specialized Diverge Elite DSW
1995 Giant ATX 890 with 1996 Rock Shox Judy XC still running!
Specialized Stumpjumper FSR 6Fattie Carbon

2015 Goal: Ride some
2016 Goal: Ride more
xcrdr

Postby Paul_D » August 30th, 2011, 9:04 pm

Finally made it back out after getting my bike fixed. Made it 9 miles in to the end of dragon run and flatted, then remembered my extra tube, patches, and pump are in my other car. Was sad because swamp thing along the river is one of my favorite sections out there.

Trail is in amazing condition, very hard and fast overall (I can say that because I didn't check out swamp thing.)
Reid - nice work clearing the trees at the beginning of Bobs and turning them into a sweet stunt! It looks like someone (assumings Reid) cleaned up all of Bobs, thank you and good work to whomever you are.
-Paul

"You deserve what you settle for"
Paul_D

Postby reidabel » August 30th, 2011, 9:29 pm

Actually, somebody else cleaned up Bob's because I didn't go past where I cut up the trees - I had my daughter with me and she wanted out of there as fast as humanly possible. I had her protected against the mosquitos as much as I could, but the main problem was that she was bored out of her mind after two hours of watching Daddy cut and carry logs.

So I will add my thanks to whoever (else) did the cleaning of Bob's Supremacy ... there was a lot of debris on it the last time I rode it.
reidabel

Postby mjpo » August 31st, 2011, 9:15 am

TenSpeed wrote:Is there a limit as to how high something could be? Like if you built a bridge of sorts, maybe on Randy's or Frank's, as some sort of a technical bypass of the trail.

A couple of years ago, when inquiring about making some changes, I was told I could go skinnier but not higher than what was existing. I think the best approach would be to sketch up your idea (nothing fancy) and we can show the park. If he says it is too high, we can modify it. FYI, at the time comments were made, the tallest stunt was about 5 feet (the one by loomans run). Also, managment has been VERY helpful and open minded. I suspect that if we present a safe idea, he will approve
Jeff

Before You Speak....Ask Yourself
...is it kind?
...it it true?
...is it necessary?
Does it improve upon the silence?
mjpo

Postby Paul_D » August 31st, 2011, 2:06 pm

You guys could rebuild this bad boy
-Paul

Paul_D

Postby TenSpeed » August 31st, 2011, 2:20 pm

Paul_D wrote:You guys could rebuild this bad boy

I fully second this motion!!!!
2014 miles/goal: 3120/2500
2015 miles/goal: 5019/5000
2016 miles/goal: 3940/6000
TenSpeed

Postby xcrdr » August 31st, 2011, 2:27 pm

Paul_D wrote:You guys could rebuild this bad boy

That was fun to ride. Even more challencging was the downed tree in the background. It was not designed as a stunt but if you rode in the opposite direction you could ride right up on it. Biggest problem is you had to wheelie drop off the side and it was a pretty good drop. I have an old video of my son doing it and ramming his seat into his man parts. Ouch!

Redline d660 1X10

xcrdr

Postby Paul_D » August 31st, 2011, 2:35 pm

That was before my time riding, I thought that downed tree was supposed to be apart of it!

In that case lets build one of these!
-Paul

Paul_D

Postby xcrdr » August 31st, 2011, 2:48 pm

If you look on the right of the picture that was the entrance. You had 3 options. Go right on the long ladder, straight off the down ramp or left on a shorter ladder with a little drop. The tree in the background was not a stunt but every time we went there we said what if so one day we did it. It was about a 3 and a half foot drop. The great thing about the stunt was you could practice getting up the ramp and roll off the end then move on to doing the other directions. We had to build on our skills back then!
Last edited by xcrdr on August 31st, 2011, 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Redline d660 1X10

xcrdr

Postby xcrdr » August 31st, 2011, 4:42 pm

Some older BF shots. Hope you don't mind.
This one used to be a little log jump right before the skinny that's on the left leading to Dragons Claw.

This one is right next to the road exiting to Riverbend lot, it's after the a frame when you get to the top of the small hill and take a left. That small dip on the downhill used to be bigger. The runout at the bottom used to be much shorter. To me, that makes these 2 pics really impressive. Take a look next time you ride that section. That is a lot of air for no suspension and no transition.

These shots are the a frame in the same section. I didn't ride it exactly like this.

This is a plank jump that used to be on one of the downhills.

Since it's not trail conditions I can move the post. Just thought BF riders might like to see them
Last edited by xcrdr on August 31st, 2011, 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Redline d660 1X10

xcrdr

Postby jonw9 » August 31st, 2011, 5:13 pm

There is all sorts of good stuff that could be built here: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=98212

Like everything else, you can volunteer to come out and build stuff, or wait for somebody else to build it. The "playground" at Anderson is a great example of that.
"Seriously though, you clearly think a lot more than I do when you are riding." -jajones
"You're going to suffer on a single speed, you might as well suffer going faster." - Indigenous
jonw9

Postby gtrowbridge » August 31st, 2011, 8:36 pm

jonw9 wrote:There is all sorts of good stuff that could be built here: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=98212

Like everything else, you can volunteer to come out and build stuff, or wait for somebody else to build it. The "playground" at Anderson is a great example of that.

Jeff, jonw9, what happened to all this stuff? Did it fall apart and then not get replaced or did the county/state say it was too dangerous and it had to be removed? Curious....
How long ago was this?
Ionia State Recreation Area Trail Coordinator
"They say that the journey can be more important than the destination. In Mountain biking there is no destination. Just the bike. The rider. And a place to ride." - Roam
gtrowbridge

Postby jonw9 » August 31st, 2011, 9:08 pm

The stuff in the linked video I posted was someplace else.

Many items at Burchfield deteriorated over time. Some were removed (articulating features).
I am not sure what happened to Kentaro's feature.

I think the county has been very accepting of proposed features. There are some minor limitations, but an idea that is brought forward via the proper channels is generally approved. This is not 12 pages of documentation, rather a sketch and a location given to the TC so he can show it to the park people.

Not to continue to beat the drum, but a lot has to do with upkeep, volunteers willing to build/maintain items. There are always a lot more wiling riders than willing workers.
"Seriously though, you clearly think a lot more than I do when you are riding." -jajones
"You're going to suffer on a single speed, you might as well suffer going faster." - Indigenous
jonw9

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions