Mid-State: Burchfield

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Mid-State: Burchfield

Postby peterlcole » July 25th, 2013, 10:16 pm

rvd wrote:
peterlcole wrote:Out of curiosity, how long does it take you guys to do a full loop, breaks and all? I rode it tonight in 1.5h, with two stops and an unfortunate incident at Hellboy.

What do you mean by "full loop"? There are many options at Burchfield, but if you do only Serenity or Dragonball and you exclude the hill around the pond, a lot of people ride it under an hour: http://app.strava.com/segments/705617. Not stopping for any breaks helps :-D

Wow, I'm slow.
peterlcole

Postby rvd » July 25th, 2013, 10:20 pm

But, you may have more fun. Most people that ride this in the 40s (and probably 50s) are cranking. No time for 'unfortunate incidents', or enjoying what the trail has to offer. Just mashing those pedals! That's how it is for me anyway. Happy trails!
rvd

Postby Overdrive » July 26th, 2013, 3:26 pm

Given there are many options for what makes up a "full loop" take a look at your average speed for what you've ridden. Compare it to what you do on future rides. There are times to ride fast but overall it can be a lot more fun to simply ride and enjoy it. Hope you're okay, Heckboy has some challenging options.

Trail conditions are really good. Solid/hard pack almost throughout the entire park. Mosquitoes are down, a few deer flies but if moving they really aren't an issue. Few areas where the foliage is encroaching but not enough to keep one from riding. Temps down too. Great time to be out there.
Adrenaline Nut
Overdrive

Postby TenSpeed » July 28th, 2013, 1:46 pm

Without hitting any single track, how many miles could you put on hitting only dirt roads, pavement and two track on a cyclocross bike? Pavement mentioned if needed to loop back to either of the parking lots. Loop ideas would be highly appreciated.
Ride. 48:15
2014 miles/goal: 1443/2500
TenSpeed

Postby reidabel » July 28th, 2013, 3:53 pm

peterlcole wrote:... and an unfortunate incident at Hellboy.

What happened, Peter? What line was it on? Hope there was no injury involved. I just inspected it earlier this afternoon and it looks like it's in good shape, other than some plants growing up through the spaces that wouldn't affect anyone riding it. Was it unrelated to the condition of the stunt itself?

In terms of conditions, I rode just after noon today and the trail was in good shape. A few things could be trimmed back here and there, particularly in the usual suspect Forest Hump, but it's not an issue. The stunts had water lying on them but the easy ones were fine to ride, as was the new one on Dragonball Run. The low line on Hellboy was wet but still easy to ride. Long bridges near MacNamara were wet but rode fine. No trees down anywhere, other than the one at the back of the pond by Looman's Run that has been mentioned before. A good ride despite several fairly hard rain showers.

Forgot the bug spray and it didn't matter, suprisingly, there were no bugs out at all! What a change ...
reidabel

Postby Overdrive » July 28th, 2013, 8:02 pm

TenSpeed wrote:Without hitting any single track, how many miles could you put on hitting only dirt roads, pavement and two track on a cyclocross bike? Pavement mentioned if needed to loop back to either of the parking lots. Loop ideas would be highly appreciated.

With a touch of singletrack (purple) it's a six mile loop using the original trail (more recently known as the beginner trail?).
You could skip purple by using that middle trail from the north end rather than either of the trail entry points. I've got some favorite loops that I use for CX training. If you want more details on those maybe I can draw up something or find a file when I had gps on the CX bike while out there. It makes use of the sledding hill, volleyball court that's out by the ball field and more.

Though with care, a whole lot of the trail can be ridden on the CX bike.

Island Lake is really great on a CX bike.
Adrenaline Nut
Overdrive

Postby peterlcole » July 28th, 2013, 9:09 pm

reidabel wrote:
peterlcole wrote:... and an unfortunate incident at Hellboy.

What happened, Peter? What line was it on? Hope there was no injury involved. I just inspected it earlier this afternoon and it looks like it's in good shape, other than some plants growing up through the spaces that wouldn't affect anyone riding it. Was it unrelated to the condition of the stunt itself?

I was on the high line and at the pinnacle I somehow lost my momentum and balance. I ended up veering off the bridge to the right. I landed on the right side of my face and taco'd my neck and did something to my elbow. Fortunately, an x-ray and cat scan showed nothing serious.

It had nothing to do with stunt itself, I think it was just a fluke. I have ridden it many times in the past without an issue. The worst part is that I know on my next ride I am going to be gun shy when it comes to stunts.
peterlcole

Postby reidabel » July 28th, 2013, 10:26 pm

Wow - I'm glad you're okay, but I'm sure it hurt a lot. Hopefully the grass helped soften the landing a bit ...
reidabel

Postby reidabel » July 30th, 2013, 9:11 pm

Bugs are back, at least just before dark. Dark enough that I had to take my tinted glasses off to see the trail properly. Was surprised in the dark as I went down the big hill in the MacNamara jump section and hit the first mound, to discover that a lip had magically appeared on it since my ride two days ago. Stopped and checked it out, it appears to be rollable, thanks for that. Looked to the right on the same mound and saw a lip on the one that was intended to be the jump line. Not sure if these are completed or not, and I wasn't about to try to get any air in the dark and almost certainly being the last rider through there before morning. One thing I had a negative reaction to was that the area by the back mounds seems to have been cleared out, probably a couple of saplings were removed (or just bent over and broken?), along with some underbrush. Wondering why, they weren't blocking the way, were they? Anyway, thanks to whoever is getting work done and leaving it rollable!
reidabel

Postby rvd » July 30th, 2013, 9:27 pm

reidabel wrote:Anyway, thanks to whoever is getting work done and leaving it rollable!

Kids should turn it into this:
rvd

Postby reidabel » July 30th, 2013, 9:35 pm

Is that real?! I was just at Kamloops Bike Ranch a few days ago, and it resembles this somewhat. No, I didn't have my bike with me, and I wouldn't have tried any of it anyway.
Last edited by reidabel on August 7th, 2013, 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
reidabel

Postby rvd » July 30th, 2013, 9:53 pm

Haha, sure it is real. It is called Gorge Road Jump Park, Queenstown NZ. It featured prominently in yesterday's #notbad film, but there are many more edits that show off this place pretty well. Once you see this space, you have got to say: who cares if some old dudes like you and I can roll those bumps at McNamara. We need to build jumps like this to get the younger generation pumped for our sport (once they are older, they can switch to XC)!

rvd

Postby reidabel » August 7th, 2013, 11:01 am

Rode last night, bugs were not evident, though I had spray on. Lots of thorns and poison ivy across the trail now. I had my clippers with me and removed lots of it, but much remains. Maybe we could all ride with clippers for a while and clean it up? I cleared the advanced trail on the North side of the Riverbend lot, and the first bit of Forest Hump, until the cutoff back to the beginner trail near the fishing pond, so I didn't touch Nathan Dynamite. I also cleared the North side of the telephone pole bridges near McNamara. It got dark on me ...
reidabel

Postby reidabel » August 11th, 2013, 8:17 pm

Beautiful out there today - not many riders until the afternoon, though. I removed several trees across the trail. The big one behind the pond near Looman's Run, I removed a large section of it to allow room for the cross-country ski trail. Thanks for the information on that one, Anne - was that you that waved at me when going by Hellboy this afternoon? Actually, I talked to several people who stopped at Hellboy this afternoon, including Matt from Eaton Rapids and a friend, and a large family group with kids that ride some of Hellboy's lines. Removed two trees down across the beginner trail South of Dragonball Run, near the Yellow cut-off intersection - the ridearounds into the grass were so well worn in that I wonder why the park hadn't cleared them by now. Removed a decapitator and a couple of smaller things on Swamp Thing By The River. I'll post in the MMMBA forum about the work I started doing on Hellboy today.
reidabel

Postby Overdrive » August 11th, 2013, 8:34 pm

reidabel wrote:Beautiful out there today - not many riders until the afternoon, though. I removed several trees across the trail. The big one behind the pond near Looman's Run, I removed a large section of it to allow room for the cross-country ski trail. Thanks for the information on that one, Anne - was that you that waved at me when going by Hellboy this afternoon? Actually, I talked to several people who stopped at Hellboy this afternoon, including Matt from Eaton Rapids and a friend, and a large family group with kids that ride some of Hellboy's lines. Removed two trees down across the beginner trail South of Dragonball Run, near the Yellow cut-off intersection - the ridearounds into the grass were so well worn in that I wonder why the park hadn't cleared them by now. Removed a decapitator and a couple of smaller things on Swamp Thing By The River. I'll post in the MMMBA forum about the work I started doing on Hellboy today.

'Twas me. Apologies for just a quick wave, was behind schedule to meet someone after the ride.

HUGE thanks for cutting out those trees. I've been doing cx dismounts and was ready to do it again at Looman's Run and saw it had been cut out. Thanks, park doesn't seem to be in any hurry to remove the ones they've been alerted to. It's easily opened up enough for the XC ski passage. Appreciated the removal of that decapitator too on the alternate line in swamp thing. I think I went by all of the fresh cuts you made. Perhaps the park would be willing to supply you with a fresh chain? That's a LOT of cutting.

If schedules and weather cooperate I'm planning to do some pruning/trimming in the next two weeks.

Looking forward to seeing what you're up to at Hellboy.
Adrenaline Nut
Overdrive

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments