Mid-State: Burchfield

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Mid-State: Burchfield

Postby Paul_D » August 9th, 2011, 7:29 am

geardaddy37 wrote:As for the burch ride, I can never do that one cuz it starts at 5...I can't get there before 6 due to my job. I sometimes get out there later though and manage to see some folks. Hope to run into you guys who are doing an "extra" lap on group ride nights. :)

The official group ride starts at 6:30 at Burch Monday nights. A few of us like to head out there around 5 to get an early lap in. So no more excuses see you there monday!
-Paul

"You deserve what you settle for"
Paul_D

Postby jonw9 » August 9th, 2011, 7:41 am

Paul_D wrote:
geardaddy37 wrote:As for the burch ride, I can never do that one cuz it starts at 5...I can't get there before 6 due to my job. I sometimes get out there later though and manage to see some folks. Hope to run into you guys who are doing an "extra" lap on group ride nights. :)

The official group ride starts at 6:30 at Burch Monday nights. A few of us like to head out there around 5 to get an early lap in. So no more excuses see you there monday!

:icon_thumright:
"Seriously though, you clearly think a lot more than I do when you are riding." -jajones
"You're going to suffer on a single speed, you might as well suffer going faster." - Indigenous
jonw9

Postby plunderspunk » August 9th, 2011, 9:40 am

duder, I'm there like fred astaire!
Bernie Sanders for President 2016
plunderspunk

Postby reidabel » August 9th, 2011, 10:24 am

Rode Sunday, then played disc golf afterwards. The mosquitoes were indeed very bad. I reapplied three times also, but I rode everything, including getting my feet soaked when turning left at the closed Swamp Thing bridge-area entrance. I played disc golf with soaked shoes, then when I went to change into my spares before heading home, they were still wet from disc golf the day before, so I drove home in dry replacement socks! I ended up throwing away one of the pairs of shoes because they smelled so bad. Saw Jeff the TC buying shoes when I was getting a replacement pair! What a coincidence ...

If I get out there with my chainsaw in the next few days, or maybe not until Saturday, I'll take out those two trees at the start of Bob's Supremacy. Does anybody know of any others that should be taken out? If so, tell me where and I'll get them.
reidabel

Postby Paul_D » August 9th, 2011, 11:01 am

The 2 downed trees at the beginning of Bob's are perfect for creating some nice size log piles, either there or somewhere else along the trail. There is also a few places that I think we could make some more log rides. This is all with approval of course. I would also like to do something with the stunt near the beginning of Loomans run.

If your interested Reid or anyone else, I might be able to go out there Sunday to work on the trail. TBD
-Paul

"You deserve what you settle for"
Paul_D

Postby reidabel » August 9th, 2011, 11:27 am

Those trees are so close to the short technical downhill that maybe we could make a log pile at the top of the hill, wedging the logs up against some of those little trees? We'd need a bypass, or else put the log pile off to the side of the current trail. It could add some fun/height by having it at the top of the hill. We'll have to find out what the TC thinks about that.

I won't be able to make it out on Sunday, though ...
reidabel

Postby alec » August 9th, 2011, 9:54 pm

Rode at about noon today. The mosquitoes didn't bother me at all. I just put on bug spray and kept moving. If I'd gotten a flat, I probably would have just abandoned the bike and run for it, but it really was fine as long as I kept moving.

I rode Randy's Maze, Annies, etc. - I didn't risk Bob's or Swamp thing. Trails were still pretty greasy, but passable - just take it easy on the corners.
alec

Postby reidabel » August 13th, 2011, 11:06 am

Okay, it's starting to look pretty doubtful that I'll be able to get out there to take care of those two trees down at the bottom of the first technical downhill at the start of Bob's Supremacy. If anybody else wants to do it, go ahead - chainsaw required, bugspray required.

If by some fluke I manage to get out there, I'll post and let all of you know it's done. Probably not, though ...

Reid
reidabel

Postby plunderspunk » August 16th, 2011, 9:06 pm

rode today @ 4...beautiful ride minus the two times I had to stop and give blood...
Trails in good shape though, and especially like the blind riding in Glorious Poupards where the grass is so high and closed in you can't see the elevation changes...makes for an interesting litte stunt :)
plunderspunk

Postby mjpo » August 17th, 2011, 11:21 am

I can take a hint! I will get it mowed!
Jeff

Before You Speak....Ask Yourself
...is it kind?
...it it true?
...is it necessary?
Does it improve upon the silence?
mjpo

Postby jonw9 » August 27th, 2011, 2:57 pm

The trail seems in pretty good condition. A couple of sticks down, but no major issues. Even the mosquitoes weren't too bad, granted, I didn't ever stop for too long.

I went ahead and opened boB's Supremacy. There are a couple trees down (in succession) right near the beginning, just after the downhill.

Swamp think is mostly rideable. The bridges are all washed out, and muddy deep there. This is where the mosquitoes are pretty terribly as well. Maybe better to avoid this still, for a bit.
"Seriously though, you clearly think a lot more than I do when you are riding." -jajones
"You're going to suffer on a single speed, you might as well suffer going faster." - Indigenous
jonw9

Postby TenSpeed » August 29th, 2011, 3:35 pm

Trail overall is decent, a bit muddy in some spots still. Mosquito's are really bad, even in the parking lot, in the sun. The ride this morning was annoying, because the grass was wet still, and when I hit any grassy area along the McNamara loop, the wet grass turned the dirt on my tires into mud, shooting up onto my bike, body and face. Other than that, nothing major to report.

Wondering if any stunts or work can be done on the trails that are not open to disc golfers and skiers, like Randy's, Frank's, Annie's, etc.
2014 miles/goal: 3120/2500
2015 miles/goal: 5019/5000
2016 miles/goal: 4035/6000
TenSpeed

Re: Re: Mid-State: Burchfield

Postby jonw9 » August 29th, 2011, 10:02 pm

TenSpeed wrote:Wondering if any stunts or work can be done on the trails that are not open to disc golfers and skiers, like Randy's, Frank's, Annie's, etc.

Sure stunts can be built. Reid just built one the other day. What kind of work are you hoping to do? Run it by Jeff (mjpo) and I am sure something can be worked out.
jonw9

Postby plunderspunk » August 30th, 2011, 7:29 am

TenSpeed wrote:Trail overall is decent, a bit muddy in some spots still. Mosquito's are really bad, even in the parking lot, in the sun. The ride this morning was annoying, because the grass was wet still, and when I hit any grassy area along the McNamara loop, the wet grass turned the dirt on my tires into mud, shooting up onto my bike, body and face. Other than that, nothing major to report.

Wondering if any stunts or work can be done on the trails that are not open to disc golfers and skiers, like Randy's, Frank's, Annie's, etc.

embrace the mud!!! It's sad to see a clean mtbike!
plunderspunk

Postby reidabel » August 30th, 2011, 9:36 am

Sure stunts can be built. Reid just built one the other day. What kind of work are you hoping to do? Run it by Jeff (mjpo) and I am sure something can be worked out.

I'm pretty sure he knows stunts can be built, but what is meant by "trails not open to disc golfers and skiers"? I don't think any of the advanced MTB loop is open to them, so that's the place to build.

Yes, it all needs to be cleared with Jeff (the Trail Coordinator, or TC, for those who don't know) ahead of time, and certain rules need to be followed, particularly that you can't use any lumber that isn't pressure treated and it can't be smaller than 2" dimensional. By dimensional, it means the stated size. In reality a 2"x4" is only something like 1.5" x 3.5", if you can believe that, but it says 2", so it qualifies. Also, apparently there are special resistant screws that you should use for treated wood. Some of Burchfield's older stunts do not follow these rules, but these are the current rules. Also, no articulating features, nothing should be intended to move while the rider is on it. For example, this rules out teeter-totters. And hamster wheels. Carousels.

Each stunt needs to have a bypass and ideally the bypass should be the main trail, so that a rider has to purposely go off the main trail to ride the stunt.

Then there is the obvious rule about not making it unsafe. I aim, though may not always succeed as much as I would like, to make the entry difficult if the exit is difficult. I don't want anybody nonchalantly cruising up onto something and finding a nasty surprise at the end.

People are supposed to walk any new stunt before they ride it, but I think people assume that if something is there - it's safe to ride it.
reidabel

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions