Mid-State: Burchfield

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Mid-State: Burchfield

Postby dhmedic24 » August 5th, 2011, 11:54 pm

So is the reroute in Swamp Thing we created a couple weeks ago still there. My kids were upset when I told them all the work we did was under water! I hope all our work wasn't for nothing!!
EMS on Bikes!! Pedaling mine off to save yours!
dhmedic24

Postby Paul_D » August 6th, 2011, 12:09 am

Don't tell the kids but the reroute is under water. Its so frustrating since after the two "deep ditches" swamp thing has plenty of great singletrack that is prob ridable. I think the current conditions would allow swamp thing to remain open with the proposed new steel bridges.

-High hopes for swamp thing's new bridges
-Paul

"You deserve what you settle for"
Paul_D

Postby dhmedic24 » August 6th, 2011, 12:14 am

I won't tell them. However, they will find out soon enough. They've been bugging me to ride the new route! (Have I mentioned that I LOVE that my kids are into MTBing!) It's all good! They are resilient!!! My son would ride it under water if I let him anyway!!! :lol:
EMS on Bikes!! Pedaling mine off to save yours!
dhmedic24

Postby Paul_D » August 6th, 2011, 12:27 am

That's awesome your kids are so pumped up to mountain bike!! Keep it up!!! We all love to speculate how awesome we would be at mountain biking if we started that young!!
-Paul

"You deserve what you settle for"
Paul_D

Postby MajesticTJ » August 7th, 2011, 12:09 pm

Took a ride out there today, trails are in good condition. Bobs is pretty slick after the rain yesterday so I didn't remove the blockage for now. Also it looks like the park mowed part of serenity so now it's a big wide path until the split into dragon ball.
MMMBA President
MajesticTJ

Postby plunderspunk » August 7th, 2011, 6:02 pm

...so I'm assuming that if I go out there tonight the mosquitos will be as bad as they are at my house...horrendous. :shock:
Bernie Sanders for President 2016
plunderspunk

Postby F7Cannon » August 7th, 2011, 6:29 pm

I live just two miles down the road Bill and they are as bad here as I have ever seen them. I think you will need a full net body suit if you want to ride out there.
F7Cannon

Postby AllMountin' » August 7th, 2011, 6:51 pm

Created new Strava segments for Burchfield. They include one full advanced loop (ALL sections), and four segments including several sections each. I did NOT create individual segments for each named section, in hopes that longer segments would create more accurate results. Also, it is difficult to pinpoint exact transitions from section to section on the Strava map.

Burchfield Complete Loop: http://app.strava.com/segments/705617- Time includes every advanced segment, including Serenity, Dragonball, and all of Swamp Thing.

Riverbend thru Riverbend crossing: http://app.strava.com/segments/705645- includes Hanson's, Randy's, Annie's, Kentaro's, Red Route 1, and Looman's.

Riverbend crossing thru McNamara: http://app.strava.com/segments/705651- Forest Hump, Nathan Dynamite, Glourious Poperds, Smokey and the Bandits.

McNamara thru Peppermint Creek Bridge: http://app.strava.com/segments/705654- The Timinator, Bob's Supremacy, Remember Me.

Peppermint Creek bridge thru Riverbend: http://app.strava.com/segments/705659- ride Serenity and double back to Dragonball on the beginner trail. Enter Dragonball at the bridge stunts. You can likely bypass these stunts and enter before the rock gardens if you want, without affecting the segment. From there, it's the river portion of Swamp Thing to the wooded section of Swamp Thing.

----------------------------------------------

I can already tell from the accepted routes that the tolerances are pretty loose. Routes are counted that bypass Swamp Thing on the beginner trail, or ones that double back around the pond. Also, if a rider shortcuts Looman's before Riverbend crossing, it will be counted as well. You can click on the date of the ride on the leader board to see what route the rider actually took. It's not perfect, but it's some kind of frame of reference. Have fun with it...
--=Steve=--

Tom Robbins wrote:It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
AllMountin'

Postby flynnster » August 8th, 2011, 3:09 pm

Didn't get out on the mountain bike trails but was out playing some disc golf (awesome course by the way) and the mosquitos were so bad we left after 3 holes. I have never in my life seen such bad mosquitos. We were in the middle of a feild of short grass and all three of us had a cloud of bugs around us. Watch yourselves.
flynnster

Postby plunderspunk » August 8th, 2011, 3:59 pm

you actually made it thorugh 3 holes?!! :shock: sheit, I can't barely take out the trash before I'm inhaling em'... :evil:
At least when you ride you're usually ok until you have to stop... :wink:
plunderspunk

Postby flynnster » August 8th, 2011, 6:06 pm

We jogged the second and third one, throwing on the run. Also, these seem to be so angry that riding aways from them isn't possible. I wish Burchfield had a mosquito cast so I could know when they are gone without going out there.
flynnster

Postby plunderspunk » August 8th, 2011, 8:13 pm

went out tonight cuz I just needed to ride...skeeters were thick, and the trail was muddy but fun! as long as I kept moving it was ok, but I stopped to say hi to a guy in the McNamara parking lot, and another guy on the trail, and within about 10 seconds they would be all over...talking dozens of them, so we cut the chit chat short and got back in gear. I skipped Bob's and headed straight out to dragonball, followed the trail along the river, and really got a mud bath on the double back after new swamp thing, then shot over to Burch parking lot on red. saw several cars but no peeps, so I headed back around the pond and skipped glorious poupards and managed to avoid sucking any of the little critters into my lungs. (I usually like to wear a bandit scarf over my mouth on nights like these...)
All in all a sweet ride, and I have to believe that going into the woods, doing hansons, annies, etc would be certain death, either from the slick trails or the skeeters, or both. Twas a beautiful night though, and I met a guy who just moved here from K-zoo named Jonathon, and told him about the website... 8)
Bill :)
plunderspunk

Postby F7Cannon » August 8th, 2011, 8:51 pm

What time were you out there Bill?? Didn't see you or your car. Hopefully I'll see you next Monday or maybe this Thursday at Anderson.
F7Cannon

Postby AllMountin' » August 8th, 2011, 10:38 pm

No joke on the skeeters. Bob's Supremacy seemed to be the worst IMO. You are basically riding through a cloud of skeeters and can feel them bouncing off your arms and face by the dozens. Peppermint Creek bridge is a feeding frenzy. I applied 3 times and still got served on a platter.

Bob's is still a bit greasy and has a couple of downed trees near the entrance. There is a lot of debris strewn about from the flooding.

The river portion of Swamp Thing can be ridden, but gets a little greasy toward the North end. The problem is that exiting on the beginner trail to the North OR South takes you right into a sloppy mess.
--=Steve=--

Tom Robbins wrote:It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
AllMountin'

Postby plunderspunk » August 9th, 2011, 6:18 am

F7Cannon wrote:What time were you out there Bill?? Didn't see you or your car. Hopefully I'll see you next Monday or maybe this Thursday at Anderson.

I was out there 7:30 and rode for about an hour...parked at McNamara. got to riverbend and there were about 4 cars left thought I might run into folks but only saw one guy on my way back... I am reffing on thursday this week (last one of the summer, yeah!) then I'll be heading straight from work to Anderson...
As for the burch ride, I can never do that one cuz it starts at 5...I can't get there before 6 due to my job. I sometimes get out there later though and manage to see some folks. Hope to run into you guys who are doing an "extra" lap on group ride nights. :)
plunderspunk

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions