Mid-State: Burchfield

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Mid-State: Burchfield

Postby plunderspunk » July 27th, 2011, 10:30 am

10 am start at Riverbend... right?
Bernie Sanders for President 2016
plunderspunk
 
Posts: 3286
Joined: May 7th, 2014, 10:02 pm

Re: Mid-State: Burchfield

Postby ted1969 » July 27th, 2011, 10:31 am

Come out on Sunday and do the poker run. Will be folks around to help orient you to the trails.
It's like most of our Michigan trails but is vertically challenged being along the river. Good flow to the new adv. trail too.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=105249


thanks, man - I might head out that way - thanks for the hospitality!

(or do you just need another newbie to sacrifice?) :wink:
ted1969
 
Posts: 8
Joined: July 27th, 2011, 8:38 am

Re: Mid-State: Burchfield

Postby Overdrive » July 27th, 2011, 10:40 am

Starts at 10a, continues until about 2p
The poker run 'headquarters' is at the Deer Run Shelter. This is accessible from the main entrance on Grovenburg Road. Take the first driveway to your left after entering the park. Follow it to the parking lot at the end. Shelter is to end / left of the lot as you face the river.

No newbies will be sacrificed!
SpeedyChix
User avatar
Overdrive
 
Posts: 597
Joined: June 21st, 2002, 9:00 pm
Location: Mid-State

Re: Mid-State: Burchfield

Postby plunderspunk » July 27th, 2011, 11:06 am

Overdrive wrote:Starts at 10a, continues until about 2p
The poker run 'headquarters' is at the Deer Run Shelter. This is accessible from the main entrance on Grovenburg Road. Take the first driveway to your left after entering the park. Follow it to the parking lot at the end. Shelter is to end / left of the lot as you face the river.

No newbies will be sacrificed!

got it, thanks!
Bill (:
Bernie Sanders for President 2016
plunderspunk
 
Posts: 3286
Joined: May 7th, 2014, 10:02 pm

Re: Mid-State: Burchfield

Postby mjpo » July 28th, 2011, 9:05 pm

Swamp Thing is flooded. Also at this time there is no way to get to mcnamara without getting wet. The beginner's trail is under water by the river and water is a foot deep
on the north side of peppermint creek bridge, for about 30 yards. I did not make it to Smokey (new section east of mcnamra) or Bobs, but i am assuming the worst. Poker run will still be fun, just will be a shorter course ....
Jeff

Before You Speak....Ask Yourself
...is it kind?
...it it true?
...is it necessary?
Does it improve upon the silence?
mjpo
 
Posts: 333
Joined: March 29th, 2005, 9:28 pm

Re: Mid-State: Burchfield

Postby Paul_D » July 28th, 2011, 11:27 pm

I knew we should have used last weeks trail day to dam up the river up stream!

Oh look another torrential downpour is in full swing.
-Paul

"You deserve what you settle for"
User avatar
Paul_D
 
Posts: 104
Joined: July 1st, 2011, 12:50 pm

Re: Mid-State: Burchfield

Postby F7Cannon » July 28th, 2011, 11:31 pm

mjpo wrote:Swamp Thing is flooded. Also at this time there is no way to get to mcnamara without getting wet. The beginner's trail is under water by the river and water is a foot deep
on the north side of peppermint creek bridge, for about 30 yards. I did not make it to Smokey (new section east of mcnamra) or Bobs, but i am assuming the worst. Poker run will still be fun, just will be a shorter course ....



I will be out there Saturday Jeff doing inspections and repairs. Will check on the conditions of the new sections also. Hopefully things will dry out a bit Friday afternoon after the rain stops and Saturday is supposed to be warm and sunny too.
F7Cannon
 
Posts: 739
Joined: October 21st, 2009, 7:13 pm
Location: Mason

Re: Mid-State: Burchfield

Postby Overdrive » July 29th, 2011, 6:39 am

mjpo wrote:Swamp Thing is flooded. Also at this time there is no way to get to mcnamara without getting wet. The beginner's trail is under water by the river and water is a foot deep
on the north side of peppermint creek bridge, for about 30 yards. I did not make it to Smokey (new section east of mcnamra) or Bobs, but i am assuming the worst. Poker run will still be fun, just will be a shorter course ....


River just below Burchfield is up over 2', much like higher spring water. Yesterday eve before the 3" of new rain, the water had dropped about 5 of 6". Though all the runoff wouldn't have come in yet.

As you noted, we'll be on a shorter course. Still will be fun.
User avatar
Overdrive
 
Posts: 597
Joined: June 21st, 2002, 9:00 pm
Location: Mid-State

Re: Mid-State: Burchfield

Postby Steve_Kinley » July 29th, 2011, 7:34 am

I had hoped to get out there Saturday afternoon to check out the potential Oct 2 TT course. With all the rain we have had, will much of the trail still be too wet to ride?
Hammer Nutrition Endurance Fuels and Supplements
Save 15% off your first order by clicking the link below!
http://www.hammernutrition.com/affiliates/34155
http://www.miscabike.org
Steve_Kinley
 
Posts: 3250
Joined: June 20th, 2002, 3:35 pm

Re: Mid-State: Burchfield

Postby jonw9 » July 29th, 2011, 8:18 am

It sounds like it Steve.

Will there be a route used through the second field section? I assume yes, but only the first half.

It would be good to get ridden in while still a bit moist, although the rain sounds like it was too intense to actually soak in.
"Seriously though, you clearly think a lot more than I do when you are riding." -jajones
"You're going to suffer on a single speed, you might as well suffer going faster." - Indigenous
User avatar
jonw9
 
Posts: 2774
Joined: July 20th, 2009, 8:38 pm
Location: Poto-ish

Re: Mid-State: Burchfield

Postby mjpo » July 29th, 2011, 10:39 pm

Trail is slick. A few usual spots have standing water but nothing too bad....except for Swamp Thing, Bobs, and the new section by McNamara (Smokey and the Bandits). All under water again. The water at Bob's is WORSE than it was this spring. I may or may not have time to get signs up before the poker run. This is not a big deal because, oh yeah, you can't even get to the southern part of the trail system very easily. Peppermint Creek and the Grand River are both flooded, cutting off access to half the park. It has been a challenging year weatherwise. All the hard work at Swamp Thing last weekend is washed away....
Jeff

Before You Speak....Ask Yourself
...is it kind?
...it it true?
...is it necessary?
Does it improve upon the silence?
mjpo
 
Posts: 333
Joined: March 29th, 2005, 9:28 pm

Re: Mid-State: Burchfield

Postby AllMountin' » July 29th, 2011, 11:24 pm

Jeff- I think I found the thorn bushes you were talking about on my way out. I hacked them back a couple of feet and cut them off near the base. Don't think they'll be bothering anyone else this season.

Trail should be cut and cleared pretty well all the way form Riverbend crossing to roughly the pines.

Oh, and BTW- Grovenburg Rd is closed at Holt Rd due to flooding. Looks like maybe the first 50 to 100 yards is flooded. I doubt it will last long, but just in case, you can bypass it by taking the next road East. It takes you around Holt HS and back to Grovenburg.
--=Steve=--

Tom Robbins wrote:It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
User avatar
AllMountin'
 
Posts: 2238
Joined: November 26th, 2010, 10:15 pm

Re: Mid-State: Burchfield

Postby Paul_D » August 5th, 2011, 6:43 pm

Did a recon loop this morning,the trail has recovered amazingly well.

The trail is in good condition from riverbend parking lot to McNamara. There is only 1 puddle, after Glorious Poperds before the bridge Steve placed (which is placed perfectly btw).

From McNamara, the trail is good all the way to Bobs. Both Serenity and Dragon run are completely ridable. The tree is still down over the beginner trail near the end of Dragon run/serenity.

Bobs- there is 2 trees down near the beginning that will require a saw. I cleared all the logs that floated onto the trail. There is only 2 spots with a little bit of standing water. In my honest opinion Bobs should be reopened this weekend. Its not my call so I left the reroute intact.

Swamp thing is good for the full stretch along the river. The section that cuts into the woods is obviously still a mess. I put the closed trail fence back up, someone had knocked it over.

Basically the trail is what it was before the trail day july 23.
-Paul

"You deserve what you settle for"
User avatar
Paul_D
 
Posts: 104
Joined: July 1st, 2011, 12:50 pm

Re: Mid-State: Burchfield

Postby mjpo » August 5th, 2011, 9:33 pm

Paul_D wrote:Did a recon loop this morning,the trail has recovered amazingly well.

The trail is in good condition from riverbend parking lot to McNamara. There is only 1 puddle, after Glorious Poperds before the bridge Steve placed (which is placed perfectly btw).

From McNamara, the trail is good all the way to Bobs. Both Serenity and Dragon run are completely ridable. The tree is still down over the beginner trail near the end of Dragon run/serenity.

Bobs- there is 2 trees down near the beginning that will require a saw. I cleared all the logs that floated onto the trail. There is only 2 spots with a little bit of standing water. In my honest opinion Bobs should be reopened this weekend. Its not my call so I left the reroute intact.

Swamp thing is good for the full stretch along the river. The section that cuts into the woods is obviously still a mess. I put the closed trail fence back up, someone had knocked it over.

Basically the trail is what it was before the trail day july 23.


I am pleasantly surprised. Make that shocked. In a good way. Thanks for the update. If you say Bob's is good, go ahead and open the reroute. I will not be able to get out there until Thursday at the earliest. Thanks again for the update and thanks for the help.
Jeff

Before You Speak....Ask Yourself
...is it kind?
...it it true?
...is it necessary?
Does it improve upon the silence?
mjpo
 
Posts: 333
Joined: March 29th, 2005, 9:28 pm

Re: Mid-State: Burchfield

Postby Paul_D » August 5th, 2011, 11:43 pm

No prob Jeff, happy to help. I'm out of town til sunday night, but I'm sure someone will open Bobs up.

I forgot to add when you exit Swamp thing before the closed woods section you need to go right, left is a flooded mess.
-Paul

"You deserve what you settle for"
User avatar
Paul_D
 
Posts: 104
Joined: July 1st, 2011, 12:50 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Steve_Balogh and 9 guests