Mid-State: Burchfield

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Mid-State: Burchfield

Postby TenSpeed » May 17th, 2013, 12:26 pm

That mosquito comment is no joke. I don't think spray would have made a difference this morning. Rolling on the trail, just walls of mosquitos and bugs hitting you. Don't leave your mouth open for a second or you will be coughing. Not sure I have ever experienced something like that before. Even the McNamara lot was bad. Unloading my bike and just getting swarmed by mosquitos.

Trial is still a bit muddy in some spots, but it is drying out. Lot's of new dumbed down shortcuts, one on Hansons that goes around the roots between two trees. C'mon, really?
Ride. 46:16
2014 commuter miles/goal: 204/2500
TenSpeed

Postby Mike 373 » May 19th, 2013, 4:26 pm

Rode today. That was the most mosquito's I have ever experienced! No stopping or you are lunch. Flat out crazy!
Mike 373

Postby Matt 29er » May 20th, 2013, 12:58 pm

Plus 1 to the mosquito comments. I lost a pint of blood out there during the last ride. Sheer madness!

Thanks for the shout out Reid! I appriecate your commenting on our visit a few weeks ago. Your work on the new stunt on Hansons is artwork! Great job. I hope to see out out on the trail.

I enjoy the new section of trail. Thank you all for all the hard work and dedication. I love riding Burchfield
Matt 29er

Postby reidabel » May 20th, 2013, 6:07 pm

Welcome, Matt! Glad you find the right forum. You probably already found it, but you will also find general discussion in the MMMBA part of "MMBA Member Organizations" one level above this. In there are many threads discussing more specific things for our local area trails, including Burchfield, Anderson Park, Rose Lake, Bennett Park, Ella Sharp, Sleepy Hollow, etc.

Some of those threads are even for individual stunts, including the new one on Hansen's:

http://www.mmba.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=118799

That thread includes much more detail about the stunt, if you're interested in seeing how it is being done. Work has stopped for the moment due to the mosquito density - I don't really want to be standing basically still for hours on end in a muddy area at Burchfield right now! I will be posting updates once I get going on it again.
reidabel

Postby geardaddy37 » May 26th, 2013, 9:32 pm

Burchfield is looking really good with the new route, and the stunts, thanks to everyone who has put in a lot of great trailwork to upgrades and improvements!
As for the skeeters, better bring along a bandana to mask your mouth...they're still bad, although not as bad as lst sunday for sure...
"A mountain is something you don't want to *beep* with..."
F. Zappa
geardaddy37

Location: Looking for a Howard Johnson's, leaving a trail of destruction in my wake...

Postby Overdrive » June 2nd, 2013, 11:20 am

Saturday went out for a ride and aimed for the areas that I'd figured would be the driest. Mosquitoes aren't as bad as a few weeks ago.
From the north end of the park took purple, 2-track to Looman's Run, dropped out on the Riverbend access road to the Riverbend lot and then took the blue trail (old beginner trail) along the river and back around. Conditions are reasonable good considering the weather of late.

Reworked Looman's Run and the new parts are setting up nicely. On Looman's Run there's a long tree down as you return from the new addition back onto the original trail, maybe 6-7" in diameter. Good handsaw or a chainsaw would take it out. It's off the ground so a bit high to ride over and too big for me to move.

There's a huge tree down as you exit the Timinator and cross over the blue 2-track east/west trail on the way to Bob's Supremacy. Looks like that could require park staff for that one, it's a LOT of tree. Completely covers the blue track and blocks picking up the trail after crossing blue. You can roll out the end of Timinator though.
Adrenaline Nut
Overdrive

Postby reidabel » June 2nd, 2013, 11:58 am

Overdrive wrote:There's a huge tree down as you exit the Timinator ... it's a LOT of tree.

HELL-O! Do I hear something calling my name?

I have to admit that I'd be WAY more excited if people weren't messing up the stuff I've built out there .. that's only a short distance from the vandalized log pile, and I'm pretty hesitant to start any new projects.
reidabel

Postby Overdrive » June 2nd, 2013, 12:18 pm

reidabel wrote:
Overdrive wrote:There's a huge tree down as you exit the Timinator ... it's a LOT of tree.

I have to admit that I'd be WAY more excited if people weren't messing up the stuff I've built out there .. that's only a short distance from the vandalized log pile, and I'm pretty hesitant to start any new projects.

This one won't last for stunts. It's across the regular trail rather than onto the mtb trail. You'll be spared building a stunt on this one. Haven't been back in on BobSupremacy to see what's happened to your log pile there. Hopefully whoever was messing with things has moved onto other "entertainment" and left the park.
Adrenaline Nut
Overdrive

Postby reidabel » June 2nd, 2013, 8:44 pm

Overdrive wrote:
reidabel wrote:

This one won't last for stunts. It's across the regular trail rather than onto the mtb trail. You'll be spared building a stunt on this one. Haven't been back in on BobSupremacy to see what's happened to your log pile there. Hopefully whoever was messing with things has moved onto other "entertainment" and left the park.

Hopefully they are gone, but I doubt it ... and there may be more than one group at it. One group seems to be vandals, the other seems to be people who don't see why they should leave things as they are and learn how to ride them as designed. Instead, they make it easier to get onto the stunts and care nothing for people who may ride up onto them without having the skills to handle the danger in the middle. They don't see that the reason why the entries are difficult is to keep inexperienced riders off of them. I would have far less of an issue with it if they would just remove their modifications when they were finished having their fun. Personally, the difficulty of the entries is a big part of the fun.

I have been moving wood from fallen trees over to the advanced mtb trail so that I can build stunts with it. The wood used for the base logs of the new Dragonball Run stunt came from a tree 100 feet away that fell across the nearby beginner trail. Not much fun to move it, but I'm glad to have the wood.
reidabel

Postby Overdrive » June 6th, 2013, 3:48 pm

Trail is in awesome shape today! Park took out the monster tree at the end of Timinator. The trail bed is in incredible shape, few spots a bit overgrown due to lack of riding while things were a bit of a swamp. Couple of hand saw/chain saw trees but generally all good to go (one on Swamp Thing not too long after leaving the doubletrack and the other back on Looman).
Mosquitoes are moderate and not really an issue while you're riding. Vastly improved from the swarms of a few weeks ago.
Get out and ride!
Adrenaline Nut
Overdrive

Postby geardaddy37 » June 7th, 2013, 7:58 pm

Yeah, it's nice to not be inhaling them. Riding unmasked is an improvement! :)
"A mountain is something you don't want to *beep* with..."
F. Zappa
geardaddy37

Location: Looking for a Howard Johnson's, leaving a trail of destruction in my wake...

Postby reidabel » June 8th, 2013, 2:57 pm

Worked on the new stunt on Hansen's Be-Bop, for the first time in a month. I took a break because of the mosquito horror stories. They were on me right away in the lot, but after I covered every inch of my long-sleeved shirt in bug spray, and applied some to my face and neck, I worked in that one spot for several hours and they didn't bite me at all. I had jeans on, too, so that helped.

Did a quick ride to check my other stunts afterward, and I'm happy to report no further modifications. The log pile at the start of Bob's Supremacy actually appeared to be restored, but it wasn't stable. Somebody just pulled off the logs I put on top of it to prevent people from riding it. For a moment, I thought somebody had made the effort to stabilize it, using a hammer and nails. However, when I pulled on it a little bit, it fell apart. I pulled it completely apart so that nobody will try to ride it - I am glad I didn't try to ride it, and I hope nobody else did, it just wasn't stable enough. Hundreds of bugs, and a mouse, were underneath it when I pulled it apart.

Anne, I saw the huge tree down at the end of The Timinator that you mentioned - lots of big, solid chunks of wood remain! Pretty big to move, though, but they're only about 50 feet from the spot on which I was considering building a stunt. If I DO want to build that stunt (still debating it) I wonder if the park will have removed all of those good pieces before I get there? A few months ago I had moved some, but not enough, wood to that possible build site, so this would likely provide just what I needed. I think I'm leaning toward not building it, however.

The trail is in great shape, despite some overgrowth starting to interfere. Serenity is really cool right now, up until the Dragonball Run cutoff, the trailbed is clear, but the grass is handlebar height on both sides, it's a lot of fun to ride through, like some kind of grassy canyon!
reidabel

Postby mjpo » June 14th, 2013, 9:27 pm

Got out to do some work this evening. First a note about trail conditions. The park is cut in half, as it is once again flooded at the Peppermint Creek bridge. It's not as bad as it was 2 summers ago, but probably still not passable. That being said, it is safe to assume that Swamp Thing, The Bob Supremacy, and possibly part of Nathan Dynamite will have water issues.

I was able to mow everything (that I could reach with the tractor) north of Peppermint Creek. This includes the new part of Loomans that is in a field. Yes, Steve, I found a way to get the tractor out there! If the weather holds out this weekend I will mow the south side of the park and confirm my guess about Bob's once I see it.

I cut out the downed tree on Loomans, and built an old school log pile on the downed tree at Dragonball.

I could use help with hand pruning. Spots that always get overgrown are: Along the river, Nathan Dynamite, and maybe a bit of Forest Hump. Any help would be appreciated.

If you get out to ride, plan on modifiying your route to avoid the wet spots. Not too bad though....should dry out soon.
Jeff- Burchfield TC

Before You Speak....Ask Yourself
...is it kind?
...it it true?
...is it necessary?
Does it improve upon the silence?
mjpo

Postby Overdrive » June 14th, 2013, 9:42 pm

Jeff: Thanks for the quick work on the mowing and other work.

I'll take care of the hand trim on Nathan Dynamite and Forest Hump. Latest will be middle of next week and could be sooner.

Swamp Thing (segment along the river) is crowding in and if someone wants to snag that it would be great.
Adrenaline Nut
Overdrive

Postby mjpo » June 15th, 2013, 7:31 pm

I was able to get the rest of the mowing done today. Took a quick look at Bob's. It appears to be dry. I was also surprised to see how much the water at Peppermint Creek had gone down in just 12 hours.

Thanks to Anne and Shaun for volunteering to help with the hand trimming. If anyone else wants to put a pruner in their Camelback, it would be appreciated. Take a quick break from your ride and do a hundred yards or so. Every bit helps!

Trail grade is about a "B" right now. Pruning and dry weather get it to A++
Jeff- Burchfield TC

Before You Speak....Ask Yourself
...is it kind?
...it it true?
...is it necessary?
Does it improve upon the silence?
mjpo

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments