Mid-State: Burchfield

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Mid-State: Burchfield

Postby jonw9 » July 25th, 2011, 2:31 pm

TenSpeed wrote:Speaking of Swamp Thing, nice work on that, very clean and easy to ride. Are there plans for the bridge area?

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=105535#p722528
"Seriously though, you clearly think a lot more than I do when you are riding." -jajones
"You're going to suffer on a single speed, you might as well suffer going faster." - Indigenous
jonw9

Postby TenSpeed » July 25th, 2011, 3:14 pm

Overdrive wrote:
TenSpeed wrote:Speaking of the orange trail by Swamp Thing, looks like there is a new stunt over a downed tree. Looks decent with a few logs. I will take a closer look at it this am. I don't see this trail getting much use know the way the trails are layed out now though.

Is this on the section of trail that had berms last summer?

It is. Looks like there was a down tree, and someone just put some logs on either side of it to get over it. I tried to move it, but there is no way I could do it on my own. I rode over it. Not bad at all.
2014 miles/goal: 3120/2500
2015 miles/goal: 5019/5000
2016 miles/goal: 3940/6000
TenSpeed

Postby Overdrive » July 25th, 2011, 3:19 pm

That's where I thought you meant. I've been doing CX practice over those.
SpeedyChix
Overdrive

Postby TenSpeed » July 25th, 2011, 4:22 pm

Oh yeah, it's definitely easy to clear. Just thought I would throw it out that someone had worked on it apparently.
2014 miles/goal: 3120/2500
2015 miles/goal: 5019/5000
2016 miles/goal: 3940/6000
TenSpeed

Postby AllMountin' » July 25th, 2011, 9:51 pm

Nice job and much thanks to the responsible party that cut the weeds back from McNamara through Bob's.

If I get a chance this week, I'd like to trim back some more growth between Riverbend crossing and Peppermint Creek bridge. That is if nobody beats me to it.
--=Steve=--

Tom Robbins wrote:It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
AllMountin'

Postby plunderspunk » July 26th, 2011, 7:23 pm

theres a metal post ...an old fence post, sticking out of the ground about 4" that about ripped my foot in half. It's right on the singletrack off to the side, covered by some low plants. It's on "remember me" in the wooded section about 200yards in. It's the second time I have hit it, the first time it about tore my pedal off, and I thought I hit a rock. This time I stopped and went back and looked. there it was like a big shank. I'm gonna dig it out this week. It's kinda hard to explain exactly where it is, and honestly I owe you guys some trail work. Out of curiosity has anyone else hit that thing?
(BTW I did a temporary fix by placing some branches around it, so if you happen to see two or three long-ish branches lining the perimeter of the right hand side of the trail.... stop and take a look. it's a widowmaker for sure...)
Bernie Sanders for President 2016
plunderspunk

Postby Paul_D » July 26th, 2011, 7:43 pm

Please remind us where "remember me" is.

-Paul

"You deserve what you settle for"
Paul_D

Postby plunderspunk » July 26th, 2011, 8:26 pm

Paul_D wrote:Please remind us where "remember me" is.

:lol:

Hey, I also found a tube, and a baggie with some allen wrenches and some plastic tire tools on Annie's...pm me if yo lost that stuff and I will make arrangements to get it to you.
Bill :)
plunderspunk

Postby xcrdr » July 26th, 2011, 8:47 pm

geardaddy37 wrote:theres a metal post ...an old fence post, sticking out of the ground about 4" that about ripped my foot in half. It's right on the singletrack off to the side, covered by some low plants. It's on "remember me" in the wooded section about 200yards in. It's the second time I have hit it, the first time it about tore my pedal off, and I thought I hit a rock. This time I stopped and went back and looked. there it was like a big shank. I'm gonna dig it out this week. It's kinda hard to explain exactly where it is, and honestly I owe you guys some trail work. Out of curiosity has anyone else hit that thing?
(BTW I did a temporary fix by placing some branches around it, so if you happen to see two or three long-ish branches lining the perimeter of the right hand side of the trail.... stop and take a look. it's a widowmaker for sure...)

If thats the one out by the creek my son tore up his sidewall on it. We tried to get it out and couldn't so we pounded it in. Guess it didn't last.
It's not your strength or skill. It's your level of commitment.

Specialized Epic Comp Carbon
Redline d660 1X10
2016 Specialized Diverge Elite DSW
1995 Giant ATX 890 with 1996 Rock Shox Judy XC still running!
Specialized Stumpjumper FSR 6Fattie Carbon

2015 Goal: Ride some
2016 Goal: Ride more
xcrdr

Postby mjpo » July 26th, 2011, 10:28 pm

geardaddy37 wrote:theres a metal post ...an old fence post, sticking out of the ground about 4" that about ripped my foot in half. It's right on the singletrack off to the side, covered by some low plants. It's on "remember me" in the wooded section about 200yards in. It's the second time I have hit it, the first time it about tore my pedal off, and I thought I hit a rock. This time I stopped and went back and looked. there it was like a big shank. I'm gonna dig it out this week. It's kinda hard to explain exactly where it is, and honestly I owe you guys some trail work. Out of curiosity has anyone else hit that thing?

Thank you for covering it up. And thanks for taking the initiative to dig it out. I am busy mowing this week - prepping for poker run - and this chore would have set me behind schedule a bit (more!!). THANKS!
Jeff

Before You Speak....Ask Yourself
...is it kind?
...it it true?
...is it necessary?
Does it improve upon the silence?
mjpo

Postby plunderspunk » July 27th, 2011, 7:30 am

no problema...unless it's anchored in cement, then we have a problem houston... :lol:
(with my luck it's probably also buried in 5 feet of clay !)
plunderspunk

Postby plunderspunk » July 27th, 2011, 8:02 am

xcrdr wrote:

If thats the one out by the creek my son tore up his sidewall on it. We tried to get it out and couldn't so we pounded it in. Guess it didn't last.

...could be , it was kind of sharp so didnt look pounded in...there's probably several of these out there, especially with all the new trails. We'll root 'em out one by one :wink:
plunderspunk

Postby plunderspunk » July 27th, 2011, 8:05 am

mjpo wrote:

Thank you for covering it up. And thanks for taking the initiative to dig it out. I am busy mowing this week - prepping for poker run - and this chore would have set me behind schedule a bit (more!!). THANKS!

I noticed a lot of work had been done out there...thanks for cleaning things up my ankles and knuckles appreciate it!
plunderspunk

Postby ted1969 » July 27th, 2011, 8:42 am

haven't been to Burchfield Park - could someone give me an idea of what it's like, what to expect? Might head out there this weekend.. thanks.
ted1969

Postby Overdrive » July 27th, 2011, 10:10 am

ted1969 wrote:haven't been to Burchfield Park - could someone give me an idea of what it's like, what to expect? Might head out there this weekend.. thanks.

Come out on Sunday and do the poker run. Will be folks around to help orient you to the trails.
It's like most of our Michigan trails but is vertically challenged being along the river. Good flow to the new adv. trail too.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=105249
SpeedyChix
Overdrive

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions