Mid-State: Burchfield

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Mid-State: Burchfield

Postby mjpo » April 28th, 2013, 9:39 am

[quote="AllMountin'"] My only concern would be the spot where the advanced trail splits off the red trail, and doubles back on the TOP side of the pond, before coming round the bottom side. If someone misses that turn, they'll end up circling the pond the wrong way. Hopefully we can mark that spot WELL.

BTW, is the temporary pink tape that marks this still up?
Jeff- Burchfield TC

Before You Speak....Ask Yourself
...is it kind?
...it it true?
...is it necessary?
Does it improve upon the silence?
mjpo

Postby rvd » April 28th, 2013, 10:12 am

mjpo wrote:BTW, is the temporary pink tape that marks this still up?

Yes, it is. When I rode it yesterday, a post with green arrow was lying on the ground in between the two trees before the left hander that starts the off-camber section. I just propped it up against a tree.

On Poperds I also noticed (riding slower makes you see different stuff!) a post with left+right green advanced-mtb-trail arrows, where the trail goes straight. What's up with that?
rvd

Postby reidabel » April 28th, 2013, 12:54 pm

rvd wrote:On Poperds I also noticed (riding slower makes you see different stuff!) a post with left+right green advanced-mtb-trail arrows, where the trail goes straight. What's up with that?

If that's the one in the open field near the beginning of Glorious Poperds, you must REALLY have been riding fast to not have seen it before. I've been seeing it every time for a couple of years now ... of course, my own pace is sub-sonic! I believe there was originally supposed to have been a separate jump line there, on that little downslope.

Was out today before the rain started, and Hansen's (to the new stunt) is starting to get muddier even where it was good a week ago. We need these upcoming sunny, warm days to firm things up.

rvd wrote:... Bob's supremacy ... Sad to see that Reid's log pile at the start had been taken apart by someone/something.

I meant to get out there and take a look this morning, but had to get back home too soon, so I didn't get a chance. Worked on the foundation of the turnaround platform on the new Hansen's stunt instead. I am hoping you're mistaken about the log pile, but you know Burchfield well, so I doubt you are. I stabilized that pile by counter-sinking boards across and into the logs, so if somebody pulled it apart, it wasn't easy to do. That is unfortunate, and if this trend continues (destroying my work) it would be difficult to justify continuing to spend the kind of time and money that I expend out there building things.

A "shout out" to Matt from Eaton Rapids, who I met for the first time this morning at the Hansen's stunt - if you find your way here, welcome!
reidabel

Postby mjpo » May 1st, 2013, 8:06 am

" I think I am going to reroute the existing curve so that visually, it will look like green is in the direct line of view, and you would have to take a hard right to stay on orange."

This change has been made, though it is not 100% finished. Riders will need to hike-a-bike for about 20 feet. I ran out of daylight last night! I am going to move a new section of trail that is adjacent to this reroute. The two new trails come within a few feet of each other. This will be fixed by moving a section closer to the northern property line. I will get this stuff done in the next few days.
Jeff- Burchfield TC

...is it kind?
...it it true?
...is it necessary?
mjpo

Postby mjpo » May 2nd, 2013, 12:36 pm

mjpo wrote:" I think I am going to reroute the existing curve so that visually, it will look like green is in the direct line of view, and you would have to take a hard right to stay on orange."

This change has been made, though it is not 100% finished. Riders will need to hike-a-bike for about 20 feet. I ran out of daylight last night! I am going to move a new section of trail that is adjacent to this reroute. The two new trails come within a few feet of each other. This will be fixed by moving a section closer to the northern property line. I will get this stuff done in the next few days.

Changes are done. Just need to add a few temporary signs.

I have noticed that people are already moving debris to try and make the trail the way it was before. This doesn't make any sense. Limited success is possible. If you see anyone doing this, please let them know about the change, and if they follow the green arrows, they will be able to hit all the stuff.
Jeff- Burchfield TC

...is it kind?
...it it true?
...is it necessary?
mjpo

Postby Overdrive » May 2nd, 2013, 1:30 pm

mjpo wrote:
mjpo wrote:" I think I am going to reroute the existing curve so that visually, it will look like green is in the direct line of view, and you would have to take a hard right to stay on orange."

Changes are done. Just need to add a few temporary signs.

I have noticed that people are already moving debris to try and make the trail the way it was before. This doesn't make any sense. Limited success is possible. If you see anyone doing this, please let them know about the change, and if they follow the green arrows, they will be able to hit all the stuff.

Perhaps on with the temp signs, one (two or three) to alert folks to the reworked route in the area?
Thanks again for knocking this out so fast. I still haven't made it over to the trail. Hope to early next week.
Adrenaline Nut
Overdrive

Postby bleve » May 9th, 2013, 5:42 pm

Rode out here Tuesday night and the trail was mostly good just keep your mouth closed when riding next to the river. Swamp thing was mostly passable using a couple bypasses and makeshift bridges out of the old bridges. Also it was nice to see the jump section opened up and not overgrown. I only rolled it but it looks like it could be fun.
bleve

Postby reidabel » May 9th, 2013, 8:10 pm

It's only set up for rolling at this point, not for jumping. But rolling it is a lot of fun, too, there's nothing else quite like it out there.
reidabel

Postby Mike 373 » May 11th, 2013, 11:36 am

I am heading over for the first time this year. Hope it is dry enough.
Mike 373

Postby Overdrive » May 11th, 2013, 11:41 am

Mike 373 wrote:I am heading over for the first time this year. Hope it is dry enough.

Can tell you Anderson is going to be a WHOLE lot drier and a cleaner place to ride.

Burchfield: With the earlier rains, some areas continue to hold water.
Was out on foot Thursday and here's the report
Burchfield Swamp Thing is going to be sloppy and muddy. Didn't recon Bob's Supremacy. Low areas in Nathan Dynamite were fairly good and likely won't be TOO bad after yesterday's rain. Peppermint Creek crossing area (north of bridge) will be squishy.
North end of park and Loman's are in good shape, although it's muddy near Riverbend (ahead of the eagle scout bridge).
Adrenaline Nut
Overdrive

Postby reidabel » May 11th, 2013, 12:44 pm

Was out this morning, there are a lot of muddy spots, but if you know what to avoid, a decent ride can be had. A lot of water has receded since the floods. Swamp Thing is great by the river, but several mudholes exist further in. Dragonball Run still has that short spot of mud/water toward the end, but there is still that log (stick) somebody put down to help get across it. Hellboy was good, Remember Me is passable and far better than it was. Serenity is fine, despite a minor bit of muddiness in the initial section North of the Peppermint Creek bridge that you mentioned. This was a limited report since I was just checking on the stunts at Hellboy, Dragonball Run, Serenity, and Hansen's Be-Bop, before resuming work on the new stunt on Hansen's. Nobody has messed any of it up, or if they did, they were kind enough to remove it when they were done.

Rode the new section of Looman's Run, and it is in good shape. Didn't do Forest Hump or Nathan Dynamite, just returned to the lot.

Sad to see the price of treated 2x4's at Lowe's has gone back up again, after dropping a couple of weeks ago. The guy said it's like gas prices sometimes(!).
reidabel

Postby Mike 373 » May 11th, 2013, 5:07 pm

It was great out there! Until the rain started. We were playing on Hellboy a little when the rain came. I need some flat pedals for that thing! Only made the low easy crossing. Was going to do the high one but it was getting slick on the wood. Yeah, thats it! Had the place all to ourselves. We did see a group on the way out. We rode everything. I love the two long water crossing skinnies. Pretty cool! Had a great ride. I wish more trails were that twisty. Steve did a great job on the loomans mod! Very fun. Once it gets rode more it will be even better! Hats off to all you guys, that place is a gem!
Mike 373

Postby Mike 373 » May 11th, 2013, 5:11 pm

Nathan Dynamite was probably the worst we rode. I thought anderson would be wetter!
Mike 373

Postby reidabel » May 11th, 2013, 6:03 pm

Flat pedals sounds like a good idea for Hellboy - in more ways than one. You probably already know this, but for The Highway (the name of the high line you mentioned) be sure that your pedals are up and out of the way when you go over the peak. You'll need enough speed so that you don't need to pedal at the peak, or your pedal will touch down and it will suddenly become quite exciting - trying to save yourself from going off the side. I always give it a burst of speed so that I can coast over the top, then hit the brakes as I go over the peak, especially if I'm taking the option (The Offramp). Note that Pitchfork (the skinny upramp at the corner) is much wider on top - if you want to try it out without doing the whole thing, you can just do the upramp and stop on top. It requires more speed than it would seem, to get up to the top without stalling out and having to bail. Twisted (the banked line), well, that's another story, and it can be tricky. Follow the shingles and keep your eyes on the exit when you are halfway through the banked curve.
reidabel

Postby SteveF » May 16th, 2013, 6:46 am

Mosquitoes are insane out there. Bring bug spray or ye shall surely die. Trail is drying pretty well-still a muddy patch here or there but not bad.
Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets replaced.
SteveF

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments