Mid-State: Burchfield

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Mid-State: Burchfield

Postby reidabel » April 23rd, 2013, 7:36 am

AllMountin' wrote:If someone can spare a few minutes with a chainsaw, there are a couple logs that need cutting at the corner of the woods, next to the field.

Christina and I cut and cleared this stuff on the way out to work on the Hansen's Be-Bop stunt yesterday ... only the chainsaw part, we didn't do any raking, so somebody could still take care of that. Thanks for all the work, Steve, it's great to have new stuff out there.

pfox90 wrote:Where is the new trail laid down? I rode today and thought it was by Hansens lol. And was out by loop mans.

There IS a reroute on Hansen's that bypasses the old muddy section, and goes past the stunt I'm working on. Unfortunately, parts of it are also getting muddy now. The new section of trail that AllMountin' is working on heads left by green flags about 100 feet after the (now removed) big teeter-totter. It wanders around through an area we've never had trails in before, passes an old junked Thunderbird, then comes back to the trail only a few feet, maybe 20 feet, past where you went into it. Green flags mark it, but the trail bed is obvious (though less obvious toward the end in the section he mentions still needs raking).
reidabel

Postby plunderspunk » April 23rd, 2013, 9:25 pm

Sounds like lots of great changes out there Reid. Can't wait to get out and ride it, but with all the rain today things just don't seem to be drying out very well...
A.K.A. Geardaddy
plunderspunk

Postby AllMountin' » April 25th, 2013, 9:43 pm

The T-bird extension on Looman's is all in now.

Spent the last couple days working on the rock garden, but stole away long enough to rake/hoe in the return line on the edge of the field. The tread looked to be firming up and in decent shape after a couple rains. I partially armored the brief soft spot down by the swamp, but there are a few feet of soft tread there still. Not a big deal. Thanks to Anne and Jeff for the flagging and routing, and also Shaun and Reid for helping with the hoe and saw work. :-)

This area of the trail is going to look a bit different, once the master plan is complete.
--=Steve=--

Tom Robbins wrote:It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
AllMountin'

Postby F7Cannon » April 26th, 2013, 12:34 pm

Thanks for all the work Steve. I know that is quite a drive for you. I will get out there and give it all a once over with the string trimmer and blower again. Going to have to blow most of the trails off again after the water finally drains any way. :evil:

P.S. Rode the new section for the second time and it flows much better after you cut in that second higher option. It rode pretty smooth for as new as it is won't take long to firm up, I think.
08 Trek 6000
09 Bianchi Sok 29er Rigid SS- 20.5 lbs
11 MARIN Lombard
12 Scott Scale Team 29er 1x10

2012 Miles SS-3140 Geared-79 Road Bike-851
2013 Miles SS-722 Geared-807 Road Bike-299
2014 Miles SS-441 Geared-929 Road Bike-211
F7Cannon

Postby mjpo » April 26th, 2013, 10:10 pm

Deleted edits that I somehow posted!
Last edited by mjpo on April 28th, 2013, 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff- Burchfield TC

Before You Speak....Ask Yourself
...is it kind?
...it it true?
...is it necessary?
Does it improve upon the silence?
mjpo

Postby mjpo » April 26th, 2013, 10:14 pm

Deleted edit.
Last edited by mjpo on April 28th, 2013, 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff- Burchfield TC

...is it kind?
...it it true?
...is it necessary?
mjpo

Postby mjpo » April 26th, 2013, 10:20 pm

mjpo wrote:A ton of work was done in the last five days on the Loomans Run/ Orange Trail. Happy to report that it is done. I'm not going to try to explain the changes, just go check it out!
I do need to say thanks to a ton of people. Anne had a great idea and flagged it. Steve has been a machine cutting in the extension. Shaun too.

I started working on the reroute sections and got one little section done in about 2 hours. The next day (Wednesday), I got a call from the park to let me know that they would have a group of seniors from Mason High School out on Friday (Today) to help out anywhere they could. Park wanted to know if they could help on the reroute. So on Wednesday Steve helps me reflag the reroute that Anne set up, so that newbies could cut in the trail. Thanks to park employee Jordan. He came out on Wednesday night to see the plan. I could not be out there during the day today, but Jordan did an awesome job doing what I needed. He had twelve kids to deal with. These kids KNOCKED IT OUT. It took them less than 2 hours to completely reroute the trail. It looks awesome.
I went out this evening to change signs and do a bit of touch up. I left a bit of orange tape up to help ensure the correct route is ridden. A couple posts need to be planted, and the Loomans Run sign needs to be put up, but other than that, the trail is in great shape. Thanks also to Reid for giving me a hand tonight with some chainsaw work.
I recognize that I am a bit blubbery about this, but I am really proud of the work that everyone has put in. Basically a new trail has been created in a few days. This usually takes many, many weekends.
OK, now to the haters who will complain about the llittle stunt and jump that were taken out: This section of trail had gotten very confusing over the years as people created shortcuts and reroutes. The stunt and jump were in two messy spots. I will be adding in a few features this summer to keep things interesting. Steve has already put in some cool looking features. . And finally, a note to Mr.Looman (John??) I hope you are still riding. I hope you find the changes to your original vision to be minimal.
Jeff- Burchfield TC

...is it kind?
...it it true?
...is it necessary?
mjpo

Postby rvd » April 27th, 2013, 6:20 pm

rvd

Postby pfox90 » April 27th, 2013, 7:38 pm

That first pic is funny. That bridge is really sweet but I'd hate to take a dip in that water lol
------__o
----_`\<,_
---(_)/ (_)
pfox90

Postby rvd » April 27th, 2013, 8:16 pm

Those two bridges are fantastic. I also tried to ride Bob's supremacy but that had some standing water. I turned around and put some logs at the entrance to direct people into the bypass/shortcut. Sad to see that Reid's log pile at the start had been taken apart by someone/something.

The new (orange?) trail is great. Has a great flow to it (GPS log). I'm sure it will be a blast when all is packed down. The convertible should be made part of the trail though. That hood would make for a nice teeter-totter for example. The last pic is from Allmountin's rock garden. I cleaned it all tree times I tried, but used the easiest path. There are some larger boulders on the left side that look intimidating for sure.
Last edited by rvd on April 27th, 2013, 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rvd

Postby F7Cannon » April 27th, 2013, 8:26 pm

I have ridden across those bridges 100 times before when dry with no problem. For some reason it is a different story with water on both sides. :wink:
08 Trek 6000
09 Bianchi Sok 29er Rigid SS- 20.5 lbs
11 MARIN Lombard
12 Scott Scale Team 29er 1x10

2012 Miles SS-3140 Geared-79 Road Bike-851
2013 Miles SS-722 Geared-807 Road Bike-299
2014 Miles SS-441 Geared-929 Road Bike-211
F7Cannon

Postby Overdrive » April 27th, 2013, 8:57 pm

Smoking!!! I'm SO thrilled to come home to find these posts on all the work that's been happening on the trail. Had planned to do more of the other reroutes in Orange this week. Thanks to all of you who helped make this happen so quickly. Sounds like Steve took care of a couple of ? spots I had when flagging. Jeff, Shaun and the heavy lifter: Steve (AllMountin'). The addition is about a 1/4 mile of trail in a fresh area, and, as Jeff noted, the overall reroute back there will clear up the confusion w/o loss of overall distance. Hope the trail flows well. Yeah, we loose the stunt at the top of the hill and the mostly broken down log pile, but we gain a clear loop and more overall trail.
Thanks to all!! Excited to get out and give it a ride.

btw, if I recall this right the car is outside of the park boundary (and you know that while teeter-totters are fun, they are a no go with the park).
Those bridges look super intimidating in that water now! Thankful for the work to get those in. btw, Jeff, huge props on that whole section you envisioned a couple years back.
What's with folks taking things apart (Reid's log pile)??
Jon Looman is Grabnmcbuttt on the forum, riding and doing well after a near-death cardiac issue.

One more btw, I'll resume the intro to mtb riding sessions again this year after a couple of seasons off. That is, once the trail is dry enough and weather is looking good. Probably a couple of Monday nights / month. Will post a thread for that once I have some dates set.
Adrenaline Nut
Overdrive

Postby AllMountin' » April 27th, 2013, 9:49 pm

The section after Riverbend entrance crossing(Nathan's Dynamite) has numerous mud holes before the pines. I didn't venture past the still wet Peppermint Creek crossing.

I think the new routing makes things pretty easy to follow. My only concern would be the spot where the advanced trail splits off the red trail, and doubles back on the TOP side of the pond, before coming round the bottom side. If someone misses that turn, they'll end up circling the pond the wrong way. Hopefully we can mark that spot WELL.

I also made the rock garden on my only attempt, but split the two larger rocks at the end. I think it's too easy. Maybe I can wheelbarrow in some more rocks to fill the space before and after.

IIRC, everything from Randy's through Riverbend crossing was in pretty fair shape, Hanson's aside.
--=Steve=--

Tom Robbins wrote:It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
AllMountin'

Postby rvd » April 27th, 2013, 10:00 pm

AllMountin' wrote:The section after Riverbend entrance crossing(Nathan's Dynamite) has numerous mud holes before the pines. I didn't venture past the still wet Peppermint Creek crossing.

I also made the rock garden on my only attempt, but split the two larger rocks at the end.

That's exactly what I did; just to the left of my rear wheel in the picture. It was pretty doable; just hop on the big rock in the front and then roll through. When makin it harder, I would start adding some rocks to the end, making it a bit longer. That way you can not just coast.

Peppermint bridge area was indeed wet but it is worth crossing as glorious poperds is, well, glorious. A bit of mud after the second bridge but really pretty minor. Just before the entrance to hellboy, there is a wet area on the beginner trail. Serenity is in good shape. Dragonball is cut in half by water in the little dip not far from the end.

Overall a bunch of good sections. Should be fun tomorrow (and for Monday group ride?)
rvd

Postby mjpo » April 28th, 2013, 9:37 am

AllMountin' wrote:The section after Riverbend entrance crossing(Nathan's Dynamite) has numerous mud holes before the pines. I didn't venture past the still wet Peppermint Creek crossing.

I think the new routing makes things pretty easy to follow. My only concern would be the spot where the advanced trail splits off the red trail, and doubles back on the TOP side of the pond, before coming round the bottom side. If someone misses that turn, they'll end up circling the pond the wrong way. Hopefully we can mark that spot WELL.

I also made the rock garden on my only attempt, but split the two larger rocks at the end. I think it's too easy. Maybe I can wheelbarrow in some more rocks to fill the space before and after.

IIRC, everything from Randy's through Riverbend crossing was in pretty fair shape, Hanson's aside.

I agree about the possibility of people going the wrong way. I think I am going to reroute the existing curve so that visually, it will look like green is in the direct line of view, and you would have to take a hard right to stay on orange. I think this is what Anne tried to explain to me, but I didn't "get it" until I saw the current stuff raked in. FYI though, the orange trail has always had the option that you are seeing now. The orange trail has always run backwards against the green trail around the pond. At the bottom of the downhill, look to the left, and you will see a that marks the orange trail as it continues to the west and back to Riverbend. Yes, it will be marked well though! I want to use a gate, because what is the wrong way in the summer won't be the wrong way in the winter. The only issue is for newbies and walkers who want to do the orange trail. In the past there were options to get into the area and somehow find your way out (right way, wrong way, little of both!) while being able to stay on the wider path. Now they will find themselves on a deadend orange trail. They will pretty muchbe forced to try the green trail. This route allows you to skip the offcamber climb and downhill though. Or, you can hit the climb and downhill mutliple times without any issue.
Jeff- Burchfield TC

...is it kind?
...it it true?
...is it necessary?
mjpo

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments