Mid-State: Burchfield

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Mid-State: Burchfield

Postby TenSpeed » July 24th, 2011, 6:13 pm

Rode today. Trying to figure out the advance loop. Started at Riverbend and rode the trail in the following way. Hansens, Randy's, Frank's, Annie's, Kentaro's, Looman's and ended up back on the entrance road. Back to the parking lot. Then off towards Swamp Thing on the trail to head out to McNamara's Loop. At McNamara, hit the advanced loop by the parking lot, and back to McNamara loop. Over Peppermint Creek bridge, left to the trail that runs parallel where Reid built the stunt, the sign says DragonBall. This is where the confusion starts. When you finish Reid's stunt...where do you go next? I figured over to Swamp Thing, but what about the old DragonBall? Do you head left back towards McNamara to pick that up, and then head to Swamp Thing?

Speaking of Swamp Thing, nice work on that, very clean and easy to ride. Are there plans for the bridge area?
2014 miles/goal: 3120/2500
2015 miles/goal: 5019/5000
2016 miles/goal: 3984/6000
TenSpeed

Postby plunderspunk » July 24th, 2011, 7:31 pm

I think I know exactly where you're talking about if you're talking about the huge tree that Reid wants to turn into a death stunt LOL!.and yeah, it's a bit confusing...if you go left it kicks you out by dragonball, and you can ride that all the way down to the new swamp thing. If you go right, you go through to a section which ends at reid's little stunt, and then that hooks into swamp thing, etc. I don't know if there is a way to string both of these together without back tracking. All in all though it is more fun than the old flow, IMO. I have to think the new trail system has to be close to 15 miles...ok maybe 13 ish...but still at least adds 3-4 miles to the old trail length. Good job to all and hope to see you at Poker Run! Then we can all just follow the leaders and find out the real flow! :)
Bill
Bernie Sanders for President 2016
plunderspunk

Postby reidabel » July 24th, 2011, 7:47 pm

Let me see if I can help ... you had all of the first few sections, but when you come out of Looman's Run, you should not go down the road back to the parking lot, but rather cross the Riverbend entry road and take that trail, named Forest Hump. Where you used to be able to join back up with the wide trail from the pond back to the lot, instead follow the new trail, named Nathan Dynamite, to the left. These is no post for the sign there yet, but there is a rock pile on a corner and sticks all over the 50-foot connector back to the pond trail. Wind through trees then eventually a field, taking you out to 100 yards North of Peppermint Creek bridge. Go left then over the bridge toward McNamara, and about 100 yards up on the left enter the new field section named Glorious Poperd's. This is the section that needs riders to break it in further, but I am finding it okay if not perfect, and plan to keep riding it each time. You eventually end up at the McNamara lot. From there, cross the lot and go behind the wood roofless shed that used to hold the port-a-potty. This is a new section named The Timinator that has a cool big dip a couple of hundred yards in, followed by a scenic ridge above the swampy river overflow area. It kicks you out at the beginner trail that runs along the river - cross it and head into Bob's Supremacy, which is now run backwards. When you eventually get out of that, you will be put out onto the main non-advanced trail that takes you North toward the Riverbend lot. Go left toward Riverbend and follow it until you reach the place where you come to a signpost where to the right you would be in a field and turn uphill in it to then go downhill to the Peppermint Creek bridge. Instead of doing that path through the field, turn left at the signpost, which says the new trail name of Remember Me on it. At reaching the intersection above the swampy area, turn right and follow that trail back out to Peppermint Creek bridge. From there, keep going North and follow the green arrows that direct you left on Serenity (sign not up yet) about 50 yards North of the bridge. A few hundred yards into Serenity there is a cutoff to the left that you can take to Dragonball Run. If you continue straight you will stay on Serenity until hitting the intersection where Dragonball Run used to start, but now ends. Some people are now going straight through Serenity, then heading South on the two-track at that intersection to get back to the old end of Dragonball Run, which is now the new beginning of it. Either way, from this intersection head North along the river on the two-track. A couple of hundred yards up there is a sign with a green arrow for Swamp Thing. You head along the river on the trail that used to run the other way there, then come out to the two-track and back in along the river, then eventually to the old end of what used to be Swamp Thing. Now, ride Swamp Thing backwards and go left when you get out of it, to get back to the Riverbend lot. That's the whole advanced MTB loop, at least a 9-mile run with lots of variety. I hope that made sense!
reidabel

Postby TenSpeed » July 24th, 2011, 8:31 pm

We skipped the Forest Hump part, because honestly, I hate it. I would rather just skip that part. I would like to work on that part at some point. The two "bridges" need some work, like a smoother entrance along with some other stuff.
TenSpeed

Postby reidabel » July 24th, 2011, 8:50 pm

Ah, and that's the entrance to the new stuff ... I suppose you could head back to the parking lot, then as you said, follow the two-track along the river past Swamp Thing and Dragonball Run, then instead of continuing along the river towards McNamara, where you would cross the bridge, take the left that says Yellow Cutoff, which I believe puts you out at the Peppermint Creek bridge. From there you could rejoin the advanced MTB loop by following everything else mentioned in the long description above, heading South over the bridge toward McNamara. It sounds like you might not like Glorious Poperd's much either, though, it can be bumpy. If you find you don't like it, you can go South from the Peppermint Creek bridge on the two-track all the way to the McNamara parking lot and rejoin the advanced MTB loop behind the wood roofless former port-a-potty section.

The "Death Stunt" is on Remember Me, 300 yards in, and is only a thought at this point, it doesn't yet exist. I haven't checked it out with Jeff at all beyond a mention, and it would be a TON of work. With at least a six-foot dropoff on one side, and a possibly severe camber, it's not for everybody's taste. It would be a lot of fun to build and ride, but I don't want anybody getting up on it that is going to get in trouble up there. So I don't know that it's ever going to be built.

What I AM cleared to work on is the log at the intersection where Dragonball Run and Serenity both end, reaching between those two trails. The plan is to maximize safety there, since it is a multi-way intersection, and have it be a one-way stunt where you would come out of the "doorway" at the end of Serenity, then cross the two-track, go up onto the stunt toward the river and have the end of it bear right and merge onto Dragonball Run's last few feet. You wouldn't be able to run it from Dragonball Run unless you circled back. This will prevent people from being dumped out into the intersection when coming off the stunt. It's the best way I can think of to cut down the chance of collisions there.
reidabel

Postby TenSpeed » July 24th, 2011, 9:34 pm

Can work be done on the first stunt on Hansons? I feel like this could be one heck of an area to ride.
TenSpeed

Postby AllMountin' » July 24th, 2011, 9:41 pm

While I respect your desire for safety, I would note that even with heavy foliage, that is a pretty high visibility spot where you exit the log ride. I'm used to riding it while exiting Dragonball. It ends with a nice opportunity for a wheelie drop, which I realize may not be everyone's taste. Note that virtually anyone that is looking to do the freeride oriented stuff is also going to be looking to run Dragonball. They're in the same vein. Being that nobody has yet ridden it in the opposite direction- do consider the exit onto Dragonball. I've contemplated trying to enter that log ride from the North, but IIRC there is a large tree on the river side just to the North that hampers one's ability to make a wide enough turn to get on the log clean. It *may* be more tolerable as an exit, but will make for a tight turn coming right off the stunt.

Whatever you do, I'll be fine with. Just throwing that out there. It *would* make a nice little loop for repeat attempts if run from Serenity to Dragonball, as you described.

You also alluded to two seemingly different sections now having the "Swamp Thing" name. If you were looking to name them separately, might I suggest the '92 Robert Redford classic, "A River Runs Through It". It just seems... appropriate, given that every spring a river does in fact run through it. Particularly the left line after the split where the trail parallels the river. I know... a little late for names. Signage being already made and all that.

As for the new sections from Riverbend crossing to McNamara: It builds character. Or at least muscle, endurance, and grit. But it's no crime to skip it. What *is* a crime- and I can't believe Reid just suggested it- is ignoring trail directions. Traveling from Peppermint Creek to McNamara is the wrong direction on the beginner trail. Better to run it from Riverbend all the way to McNamara along the river IMO in the designated direction of travel. From there you can run Timinator to Bob's to beginner trail to Remember Me to Peppermint Creek to Serenity to beginner trail to Dragonball(optional) to Swamp Thing part 1 to Swamp Thing the sequel and boom- you're back to Riverbend. No violating and no mashing through fields. It's a valid option.
--=Steve=--

Tom Robbins wrote:It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
AllMountin'

Postby AllMountin' » July 24th, 2011, 9:49 pm

TenSpeed wrote:Can work be done on the first stunt on Hansons? I feel like this could be one heck of an area to ride.

Are you referring to the little log pile to bridge stunt before you get to the big 3 option stunt? What do you have in mind? Somebody already added a couple 2x6 boards to eliminate the gap and risk of endo...
--=Steve=--

Tom Robbins wrote:It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
AllMountin'

Postby mjpo » July 24th, 2011, 9:57 pm

AllMountin' wrote:
TenSpeed wrote:Can work be done on the first stunt on Hansons? I feel like this could be one heck of an area to ride.

Are you referring to the little log pile to bridge stunt before you get to the big 3 option stunt? What do you have in mind? Somebody already added a couple 2x6 boards to eliminate the gap and risk of endo...

I have to do my monthly inspection this week. If the stunt is in need of repair it will get done. I won't be changing/adding anything right now though. Hanson's could use some sprucing up. If anyone wants to take the lead.......
Jeff

Before You Speak....Ask Yourself
...is it kind?
...it it true?
...is it necessary?
Does it improve upon the silence?
mjpo

Postby reidabel » July 24th, 2011, 10:13 pm

Well, with permission obtained, anybody could work on Hansen's, though it's not something I'm interested in doing.

I do see the point about the wheelie drop into the intersection being cool, I just don't like that that exact spot has five (!) trails already feeding into it, since many people ride a couple of them in both directions. Riding it towards the river has a nice flow, with coming out of Serenity's "doorway", riding the (not yet there) stunt, and joining Dragonball's end. It gets Serenity riders out of the intersection except for the brief crossing of the two-track trail. For people who don't want the extreme challenge of Dragonball, doing the Serenity branch with this addition would add some nice flavor also.

The exit onto Dragonball's end is indeed an issue, I've been thinking of adding a log there to act as a base for a curve North. I would camber it on the corner to require a bit of speed, and probably put a drop on the end of it to prevent people from entering it the wrong way (heading South on the two-track).

Good idea on the "A River Runs Through It" name, but I think you're right that the signage is all done at this point.

Yikes - regarding the path from Peppermint Creek to McNamara on the beginner trail/two-track - I thought this was allowed in either direction! I've certainly seen people riding it both ways and other than a couple of blind corners there is a lot of visibility and width to handle people riding it both ways. I know there's a "wrong way" sign near the start of Glorious Poperd's, but I assumed it was just for those following the advanced MTB loop. Does anybody know the official stance on this trail being one-way or two-way? I could easily be wrong! If so, then by all means take the riverside path Steve mentions ...
reidabel

Postby Overdrive » July 25th, 2011, 7:24 am

Two-way traffic on the open two track is going to happen. Focusing on getting 1-way traffic on the adv trail and riders able to find/follow it will be good. In many states all trails are 2-way, we seem to be a one-way trail state. Keep in mind though that all trails are open to foot traffic we need to ride with awareness on blind turns.

One crossing to check for clear 2-track is where the new trail crosses the two-track on way to Dragonball. The exit of the bypass option is laid out as a slow one so that minimizes that potential.

Great work out there on the new trails.
Last edited by Overdrive on July 25th, 2011, 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SpeedyChix
Overdrive

Postby TenSpeed » July 25th, 2011, 8:08 am

Speaking of the orange trail by Swamp Thing, looks like there is a new stunt over a downed tree. Looks decent with a few logs. I will take a closer look at it this am. I don't see this trail getting much use know the way the trails are layed out now though.
TenSpeed

Postby JHew84 » July 25th, 2011, 9:25 am

reidabel wrote:...the McNamara parking lot and rejoin the advanced MTB loop behind the wood roofless former port-a-potty section.

I've seen people make mention of this a couple times now over the past couple months, there's still a port-a-potty in that little shed. I don't know if maybe they shifted it's position so it's not as obvious as it used to be, but the last time I was out there (less than a week ago) it was still there and I've seen it there for the past couple months as well. There's also one in the little shed at the river bend parking lot too.
- James
'05 Specialized Hardrock Pro
JHew84

Postby stanleyt » July 25th, 2011, 1:24 pm

Jeff great job on bf I hadn't ridden in almost two years and was blown away by the new flow of the trail.....would be perfect if you would lower some of the logjams that like to eat up my chainring.....anyway BRAVO on all the hard work and forethought!!
stanleyt

Postby Overdrive » July 25th, 2011, 1:36 pm

TenSpeed wrote:Speaking of the orange trail by Swamp Thing, looks like there is a new stunt over a downed tree. Looks decent with a few logs. I will take a closer look at it this am. I don't see this trail getting much use know the way the trails are layed out now though.

Is this on the section of trail that had berms last summer?
Overdrive

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions