Mid-State: Burchfield

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Mid-State: Burchfield

Postby TenSpeed » July 12th, 2011, 7:53 pm

So now that trail runs backwards as well. OK, where do you catch it then? I don't want to have a head on with another rider.
2014 miles/goal: 3120/2500
2015 miles/goal: 5019/5000
2016 miles/goal: 4001/6000
TenSpeed

Postby jonw9 » July 12th, 2011, 8:56 pm

TenSpeed wrote:So now that trail runs backwards as well. OK, where do you catch it then? I don't want to have a head on with another rider.

Yes, now it is backwards, compared to when it was first built.

We reversed the direction last year, and closed down the old entrances then.

As for the entrance, check here:
https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B5at6uuvujEpMGY1ZWViMWEtYjVhZS00MDMxLWFjOWItZjViOGM0ZGQzNDMw&sort=name&layout=list&num=50

As for reopening closed sections of trail, I believe this has been covered in the forum numerous times.
"Seriously though, you clearly think a lot more than I do when you are riding." -jajones
"You're going to suffer on a single speed, you might as well suffer going faster." - Indigenous
jonw9

Postby mjpo » July 16th, 2011, 10:19 pm

TenSpeed wrote:Rode today. Still have not seen a single person on any part of the disc golf course. I miss Enter Sandman and Swamp Thing. I honestly do not like how things are going at Burchfield. I want to part of the solution, but it seems like all of the old stuff is just being forgotten, and only the new areas are being worked on. I don't know the name of the trail that cuts off to the left when you are along the river on the McNamara loop, but it had some good stunts, and tight turns, and that whole train seems to be entirely neglected. One of the bridges is completely gone from it, and there is a huge log almost blocking the entrance. Is this section closed?

I used to love riding at Burchfield last year, but this year, it's a completely different story. It really sucks.

PM me to be part of the solution. I could use your help and I would like to discuss "the big picture" with you. It has been hashed over on the boards for almost two years, but I think you would benefit from a one on one.
Jeff

Before You Speak....Ask Yourself
...is it kind?
...it it true?
...is it necessary?
Does it improve upon the silence?
mjpo

Postby mjpo » July 16th, 2011, 10:22 pm

AllMountin' wrote:Jeff- snagged those bridge sections and hauled them down to the park. I knocked, but only heard the sounds of a vicious beast from within. Got scared and left. :-) Thanks for mowing and opening the new section.

To those who haven't ridden it: The first part is a bit like the previous (Glourious Poperds/field secton) in that it needs ridden in. There is a nice little reward once the trail turns Westward. There is a slight downhill grade before a dip in a little grove of trees. It made my Airborne earn it's namesake. Once you get back into the woods, cross the bridges and turn left, there is a small and steep drop. When you roll over it, the ground is loose at the bottom, and wants to make the front tire dig in- rather than roll out. Gives you that "I'm about to endo" feeling. I'm sure it will firm up with riding in short order.

Spent about 5 hours out there this afternoon, riding and working. Of note- cleared two trouble spots on Nathan Dynamite (Riverbend crossing to Peppermint bridge). The first was at the low hanging vines and downed tree prior to the pines. I didn't remove the tree, but cut the big branch that was sticking halfway into the trail at eye level. The second was shortly after, where a large mass of vines had grown all the way down to waist level. You pretty much had to blast through it- and hope you were still on the trail on the other side. Anyone who has ridden out there recently should notice the difference. It should be good for a couple of weeks or so. There are some minor slappers still in this section, as I tend to focus on the knock you off you bike type stuff and bigger branches.

Also cleared a tree out of the adv. trail section that runs from the river by swamp thing to the back side of the pond near Riverbend. Not sure what it's called, but is my preferred route to complete a loop with Swamp Thing closed. There is a little debris and a couple of small/medium downed trees on this section- but they can be ridden.

Happy riding.
Thanks Steve. I have away from the boards for a couple of days..... I didn't even notice that the bridges were gone from the yard!!! I appreciate the initiative. It was good to meet you the other day. Thanks a ton for the help.
Jeff

...is it kind?
...it it true?
...is it necessary?
mjpo

Postby mjpo » July 17th, 2011, 2:55 pm

Trail day this Saturday July 23rd. The goal is to get the trail cleaned up for the upcoming Poker Run. We will focus on getting Swamp Thing cleaned up and open for the season.
Meet at Riverbend. 9:00 to noon (or later if we need to get it done, but I need to work in the afternoon).
Thanks.
Jeff

...is it kind?
...it it true?
...is it necessary?
mjpo

Postby TenSpeed » July 17th, 2011, 8:31 pm

mjpo wrote:
TenSpeed wrote:Rode today. Still have not seen a single person on any part of the disc golf course. I miss Enter Sandman and Swamp Thing. I honestly do not like how things are going at Burchfield. I want to part of the solution, but it seems like all of the old stuff is just being forgotten, and only the new areas are being worked on. I don't know the name of the trail that cuts off to the left when you are along the river on the McNamara loop, but it had some good stunts, and tight turns, and that whole train seems to be entirely neglected. One of the bridges is completely gone from it, and there is a huge log almost blocking the entrance. Is this section closed?

I used to love riding at Burchfield last year, but this year, it's a completely different story. It really sucks.

PM me to be part of the solution. I could use your help and I would like to discuss "the big picture" with you. It has been hashed over on the boards for almost two years, but I think you would benefit from a one on one.

The big picture is leading to me driving to other, more well maintained trails. Sorry.
TenSpeed

Postby jonw9 » July 17th, 2011, 8:40 pm

TenSpeed wrote:
mjpo wrote:

The big picture is leading to me driving to other, more well maintained trails. Sorry.

? bient?t

Nowhere are trails that maintain themselves. All you are doing is traveling to other areas with stronger volunteer bases. It is regretful that you are not satisfied with your area's trails. However, if you aren't part of the solution...
"Seriously though, you clearly think a lot more than I do when you are riding." -jajones
"You're going to suffer on a single speed, you might as well suffer going faster." - Indigenous
jonw9

Postby plunderspunk » July 17th, 2011, 9:33 pm

Reidable took me around on Saturday and showed me the "new" trail system. I really liked it once I was shown around. Once swamp thing gets redone and connected to the "new" swamp thing, it will be great. Reid is looking at making some new stunts, and overall I feel the trails at Burchfield have been improved greatly. But hey, if you don't like it noone is making you come and ride it. If you don't enjoy it then se la vie, right?
PS: gonna try like heck to make the trail day. Really looking forward to the poker run!
Bill (:
Bernie Sanders for President 2016
plunderspunk

Postby TenSpeed » July 17th, 2011, 10:02 pm

jonw9 wrote:? bient?t

Nowhere are trails that maintain themselves. All you are doing is traveling to other areas with stronger volunteer bases. It is regretful that you are not satisfied with your area's trails. However, if you aren't part of the solution...

Yep. Oh well.
TenSpeed

Postby mjpo » July 17th, 2011, 10:34 pm

TenSpeed wrote:

Yep. Oh well.
I never expected a PM either. You have shown your true colors here. Do me a favor and enjoy other boards as well. I'm tired of you.
Jeff

...is it kind?
...it it true?
...is it necessary?
mjpo

Postby TenSpeed » July 17th, 2011, 10:58 pm

mjpo wrote:
TenSpeed wrote:

Yep. Oh well.
I never expected a PM either. You have shown your true colors here. Do me a favor and enjoy other boards as well. I'm tired of you.

I am tired of a lot of things.
TenSpeed

Postby mjpo » July 22nd, 2011, 8:20 am

mjpo wrote:Trail day this Saturday July 23rd. The goal is to get the trail cleaned up for the upcoming Poker Run. We will focus on getting Swamp Thing cleaned up and open for the season.
Meet at Riverbend. 9:00 to noon (or later if we need to get it done, but I need to work in the afternoon).
Thanks.

Reminder....rain or shine! Thanks
Jeff

...is it kind?
...it it true?
...is it necessary?
mjpo

Postby mjpo » July 23rd, 2011, 11:52 am

Swamp Thing is open. Thanks to Dave and his kids, Paul, Steve, Reid and Bill. A lot of hard work today and it is looking good. Thanks guys.
Jeff

...is it kind?
...it it true?
...is it necessary?
mjpo

Postby reidabel » July 23rd, 2011, 2:26 pm

Yes, thanks everybody. To those that weren't there, note that the path has changed in the bridge area, with fewer bridge crossings for the moment. The path winds around where some of the long bridge sections were ruined. Take it easy the first time through, follow the raked paths. Remember that it is to be ridden backwards, along with Dragonball Run and the section along the river that connects Dragonball Run to Swamp Thing. That section along the river is now named Swamp Thing as well, as you will notice with the sign that directs you off the two-track and along the river. As far as I know, the section along the river was not named at all, but I could be wrong. Maybe it was part of Swamp Thing all along. At any rate, it rides backwards now. Follow the green arrows.

So the whole advanced mountain bike loop at Burchfield is now open, as far as I know. Maybe somebody could go through it with a GPS and tell us the total length?
reidabel

Postby AllMountin' » July 23rd, 2011, 6:31 pm

GPS log- double loop:

http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/sEYARN3JQTo

This includes all sections, with both Serenity and the full length of Dragonball included. As noted in the Swamp Thing thread, GPS mileage will come out shorter than actual. You'll get more accurate mileage from a properly calibrated bike computer.

Paul and I each cleaned the long log ride today (Paul did twice in fact) *and* the new bandit log ride at the end of Dragonball (is it official yet?). First time we've both cleaned all of the tech in a single ride, which was schweet. We also made good on all of that talk about jumping in the river. Now all that's left is to sit back and wait for Reid to build us some new Mid-State gnar to session... and wait for the E. coli to set in. ;-)

Big thanks to all of the contributors today. A pox on the rest. ;-)

P.S.- The trail tastes like chicken.
--=Steve=--

Tom Robbins wrote:It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
AllMountin'

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions