Mid-State: Burchfield

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Mid-State: Burchfield

Postby F7Cannon » April 6th, 2013, 2:22 pm

reidabel wrote:Somebody arranged some old boards to make a skinny-to-small-drop in what will likely become a submerged area beside the first long bridge on Swamp Thing.There's definitely some activity out there.

All in all, things are looking pretty good already. Lots of leaf cover left, no doubt that's why the rakes were mentioned for the trail day. It is a bit difficult to pick out the trail sometimes, even if you know it well. Riders new to Burchfield would no doubt have some difficulty staying on track.

I saw that today as well as a large very dangerous looking thrown together teeter totter. It's the same one Steve F and I took down twice in one day last year. I took it down again but it's probably back up as I am typing this.

I got a jump on the leaf blowing today. All of Swamp Thing, Dragon Ball, Remember Me, Bobs, and the ridge trail at the begining by McNamera are all clear and good to go. That just pretty much leaves the other side of the park. There is one tree down across the trail on Swamp Thing. It is to high to ride over and will need to be cut out with a chainsaw. I was surprised at how dry the trail is already in some sections. It was actually quite dusty while I was blowing, did not expect that.
Shaun - Burchfield Assistant Trail Coordinator

08 Trek 6000
09 Bianchi Sok 29er Rigid SS- 20.5 lbs
11 MARIN Lombard
12 Scott Scale Team 29er 1x10

2012 Miles SS-3140 Geared-79 Road Bike-851
2013 Miles SS-722 Geared-807 Road Bike-299
2014 Miles SS-264 Geared-537 Road Bike-111
F7Cannon

Postby reidabel » April 6th, 2013, 3:39 pm

F7Cannon wrote:There is one tree down across the trail on Swamp Thing. It is to high to ride over and will need to be cut out with a chainsaw.

That should be the one I took out just after Noon today, the trail was leafblown when I did it, so you had been through earlier. Trail's looking good ... thanks.
reidabel

Postby F7Cannon » April 6th, 2013, 4:46 pm

You were probably right behind me! I parked at McNamera and got a ride to Riverbend so I could start at Swamp Thing backwards and work my way back to the car. That was just a little before noon. Saw your car in the lot but wasn't sure where you were. Thanks for taking care of that tree and any others you might have gotten to. That whole advanced section of trail is 100% good to go now.

Not sure if there are any trees down on the other side of the park or not. If so we will get to them next Saturday if somebody else doesn't get to them first. Thanks again.

08 Trek 6000
11 MARIN Lombard

F7Cannon

Postby reidabel » April 6th, 2013, 5:27 pm

I believe all of the downed trees have been taken out now, for the entire advanced trail, since I rode all of it yesterday. This of course excludes the big tree uprooted on the former Hansen's Be-bop stunt site, I'm hoping nobody does any further cutting there yet, to leave our build options open. A bypass to the left of the rootball was done by somebody else and so riders can get through there.
reidabel

Postby F7Cannon » April 7th, 2013, 10:57 am

reidabel wrote:I believe all of the downed trees have been taken out now, for the entire advanced trail, since I rode all of it yesterday. This of course excludes the big tree uprooted on the former Hansen's Be-bop stunt site, I'm hoping nobody does any further cutting there yet, to leave our build options open. A bypass to the left of the rootball was done by somebody else and so riders can get through there.

Very cool. Now all that's left is to clear/blow off the rest of the trail.

The plan is to leave that tree alone for you to do your thing Reid. I will make sure knowbody touches it on our trail day next Saturday. :wink:

08 Trek 6000
11 MARIN Lombard

F7Cannon

Postby reidabel » April 7th, 2013, 5:35 pm

Conditions are great! Skinny log entry ramp is fixed now, and half the skinny log has been levelled off. Jeff planned the reroute for Hansen's Be-bop and blew the leaves off of it - it will serve as a bypass for the new stunt. Construction has begun on the new stunt, using Jeff's overall design idea, which cleverly addresses the concern I had about still being in the muddy area. Instead, riders will be ABOVE the muddy area and have somewhere soft and comfy (well, relatively ...) to fall. The drop off the sides will be significant (2.5 - 3 feet), so I will be designing the entry "ramp" to be quite difficult to get up, in order to keep less experienced or tentative riders off of it.
reidabel

Postby reidabel » April 13th, 2013, 7:51 pm

Good turnout for the trail day today - impressive given the forecast of rain/snow and 34 degrees. In reality, it was a very good day to work outside, albeit with multiple layers of clothing. With help from Justin (park staff) and Brindley, we made good progress on the new Hansen's Be-bop stunt. AllMountin's sledgehammer proved to be very useful. The reroute appears to be doing what was intended - it remained dry (at least the first part of it where I was) while the old part of the trail was all muddy.

AllMountin' cut in a lot of new trail out near Looman's Run, (flagged in by Overdrive) and gave it some cool character, incorporating rocks and roots. I suspect ride-arounds will appear very soon, however. For those of us who enjoy the added features, though, this work is much appreciated. I had to drag him away from it at the end of the day - he appeared ready to work through the evening.

Despite all of the rain we've had lately, the trails that I saw today (Hansen's, Looman's Run) were in pretty good shape. With tomorrow's warmer temperatures and lack of precipitation, many of the trails might be good for riding. Does anybody know if there is flooding near the river? How about in other areas? There were several people working in areas I didn't see ...
reidabel

Postby mjpo » April 19th, 2013, 7:07 pm

Bob Supremecy is closed. Reroute is in place. Swamp Thing is probably underwater near the beginning. I only saw the exit and it is under water. Caleb's telephone pole bridges look awesome in the water. They fixed a problem so glorious poperds remains open. Nathan dynamite is very wet. Ride easy!
Jeff- Burchfield TC

Before You Speak....Ask Yourself
...is it kind?
...it it true?
...is it necessary?
Does it improve upon the silence?
mjpo

Postby jonw9 » April 19th, 2013, 7:47 pm

mjpo wrote:Bob Supremecy is closed. Reroute is in place. Swamp Thing is probably underwater near the beginning. I only saw the exit and it is under water. Caleb's telephone pole bridges look awesome in the water. They fixed a problem so glorious poperds remains open. Nathan dynamite is very wet. Ride easy!

Just do laps of Poperd's and break finish breaking that section in! :lol:
"Seriously though, you clearly think a lot more than I do when you are riding." -jajones
"You're going to suffer on a single speed, you might as well suffer going faster." - Indigenous
jonw9

Postby reidabel » April 20th, 2013, 6:40 pm

mjpo wrote:Bob Supremecy is closed. Reroute is in place. Swamp Thing is probably underwater near the beginning. I only saw the exit and it is under water. Caleb's telephone pole bridges look awesome in the water. They fixed a problem so glorious poperds remains open. Nathan dynamite is very wet. Ride easy!

A very mixed situation out there today.

The ridge trail is in great shape, even the ravine is dry. The river is very close to this trail in some other spots. On the main beginner trail just South of the entrance to Hellboy, in that low spot by the post, there is a huge body of water taking up probably 40 feet of the trail! I had to drag the bike about 150 yards East through the field to get around it, and still had to walk through a few inches of water. Hellboy is fine, though, the water is a few feet from the trail, and the stunts are all good for riding. The trail from Hellboy toward the river (the White Cutoff?) is underwater starting at the bottom of that little hill. Remember Me is underwater in the low part, and not passable. I didn't go North of there, does anyone know about the entrance to Serenity just North of the bridge? That first part is probably at least wet, if not a few inches underwater like I've seen it in the past.

On the North side, all I saw was from the Riverbend parking lot to the new stunt on Hansen's Be-Bop (working on it today). It was a little greasy in spots, but mostly fine. Two families rode by me today, Dads with one or two boys, all helmetless, but having fun :-)

I suspect tomorrow, after some drying time, many of the trails will be fine, will others will be submerged. It is probably not going to be a good idea to start off from MacNamara Landing, as you will effectively be cut off before Hellboy. Can anybody report on the North part of the trails? AllMountin' - how's the new area you cut in? You're getting some immediate feedback on whether or not it goes too low, on the bright side.
reidabel

Postby AllMountin' » April 20th, 2013, 10:27 pm

reidabel wrote:Can anybody report on the North part of the trails? AllMountin' - how's the new area you cut in? You're getting some immediate feedback on whether or not it goes too low, on the bright side.

Two riders rolled through today on brand new Giants, and they literally looked shop floor clean. I don't know where they started at though. I suspect they had only ridden the parts away from the river.

There was one spot that I was concerned about, in the middle of the section, that runs into a low lying area. There is about a ten foot wet spot that left some ruts, but it's not that big of a deal. I'd rather armor it than reroute it at this point. The section is fine for riding. Where you found me working the other night, where the trail circles the trees and doubles back on itself- the water comes within about 4 feet of the trail there. I wonder if we had an even wetter spell- if that might potentially flood- and how long would it stay before the swamp drained? Something to worry about if and when it happens.

I revamped that whole section, taking it higher, and widening both the turn radius and the trail tread. I also reworked the entry/exit angles of the preceding two turns, doing a lot more bench work. The result is a significantly faster and flowier section. It helped to put rubber to dirt, to see where improvements were needed. After today's work, I'm stoked at how this is gonna ride once worn in.

I'm going to remove one of the buried rocks in the first part. I buried the lead edge of all the rocks to create a rollable, launchable ramp. I realize now that one of the rocks is too close to the next, such that you'd land on the 2nd if you send the first. The second will land you right at the entry to the turn. The plan is to remove the middle rock, allowing you to hit the first, and have a clear shot to the corner, with plenty of room before you get there.

Still a bit of tread work to be done on the middle section, and a decision needs to be made on whether to route through the field after the T-bird, or to circle back to the edge of the woods. The field creates a maintenance headache. The edge of the woods is only a few feet from the previous section of trail. That should be relatively easy to cut in, as everything is flat from the T-bird back to the old trail. The bulk of the heavy labor is pretty much finished.
--=Steve=--

Tom Robbins wrote:It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
AllMountin'

Postby AllMountin' » April 21st, 2013, 7:33 pm

The trail looked pretty solid out toward Looman's today.

I rough raked the last leg of the new section. Unfortunately, my work schedule won't allow me to finish it this week. If someone can spare a few minutes with a chainsaw, there are a couple logs that need cutting at the corner of the woods, next to the field. The trail from the T-bird back to Looman's needs to be raked and leveled some more. A garden rake and a couple of hours work would do it wonders, I think.

The rest is pretty much good to go. Ride it if you wish.
--=Steve=--

Tom Robbins wrote:It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
AllMountin'

Postby pfox90 » April 21st, 2013, 8:17 pm

Where is the new trail laid down? I rode today and thought it was by Hansens lol. And was out by loop mans. Trail over all is pretty wet we parked at riverbend and only could ride the right side. Be bop is pretty greasy I saw the new stunt it looks cool good job with that. Maybe should have rode Anderson though
------__o
----_`\<,_
---(_)/ (_)
pfox90

Postby Mike 373 » April 21st, 2013, 8:21 pm

I ran into the guys on the giants. They were out at Rose Lake. I rode with one of the guys at Hopkins last year. So I know his bike is at least a year old. Kinda funny you saw them and mention it and I ran into them and actually knew them and the kid on the Anthem X's dad. Small world. Dad had a new trance and was enjoying his first ride on it. Good guys.
Mike 373

Postby SteveF » April 22nd, 2013, 7:41 pm

Trail's about 50/50. There's some dry, a bit of mud and quite a few, well-I can't really call them puddles because they're floodplain ponds, but there's a lot of standing water out there. Once that's receded it'll be muddy for a while at least. The trail along the river with the rock piles is pretty much underwater. Swamp Thing is a swamp. And so on. The telephone phone bridges are actually needed--water around both of them. Still, there's enough dry trail to pick out a route with some paddling, er pedaling through water here and there.
Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets replaced.
SteveF

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments