Mid-State: Burchfield

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Mid-State: Burchfield

Postby Neysahead » April 4th, 2013, 10:09 am

SteveF wrote:How are things coming along at Burchfield? Are the trails dry enough to estimate an opening (for bikes) date yet?

The Burchfield Park Facebook account posted today that bike trails are open and are in FAIR condition.
Neysahead

Postby SteveF » April 4th, 2013, 10:18 am

Interesting! Got a link?
Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets replaced.
SteveF

Postby Overdrive » April 4th, 2013, 10:21 am

SteveF wrote:Interesting! Got a link?

Here's the post from the park's facebook page:
"Whoa, who would have thought! The bike trails at Burchfield are open and considered to be in FAIR condition. 5 days of dry weather have helped out. Crazy that you can bike at Burchfield and snow tube at Hawk Island. I'm thinking Ingham County Parks rock!"
Adrenaline Nut
Overdrive

Postby mjpo » April 4th, 2013, 11:07 am

They weren't open yesterday! Watch for deadfall, etc. Stunts not inspected either. They opened them without my input!
Jeff- Burchfield TC

Before You Speak....Ask Yourself
...is it kind?
...it it true?
...is it necessary?
Does it improve upon the silence?
mjpo

Postby flynnster » April 4th, 2013, 11:45 am

Trials are opened but not cleared or anything, hope no one gets hurt out there. Or gets a bad impression on their first ride at Burchfield.
flynnster

Postby xcrdr » April 4th, 2013, 8:15 pm

Went out with a few guys and pulled a ton of deadfall off the trail. Also picked up dozens of trail maps at the kiosk and some on the trail. Not sure how they got there. Almost looked like someone scattered them in the woods. Trail was in great shape overall. I was pleasantly surprised.
It's not your strength or skill. It's your level of commitment.

Specialized Epic Comp Carbon
Redline d660 1X9
Scott Speedster
1995 Giant ATX 890 with 1996 Rock Shox Judy XC still running!
xcrdr

Postby reidabel » April 4th, 2013, 8:46 pm

xcrdr wrote:Went out with a few guys and pulled a ton of deadfall off the trail.

Thanks to you all ... anything remaining that needs chainsaw removal? I'm guessing not, or you would have mentioned it, but I figured I'd ask anyway since I want to head out there and help out in the next day or two.
reidabel

Postby xcrdr » April 4th, 2013, 8:49 pm

We didn't get through the entire trail. Everything we found we were able to move with 8 hands.

Redline d660 1X9
Scott Speedster
xcrdr

Postby mjpo » April 5th, 2013, 9:06 am

xcrdr wrote:We didn't get through the entire trail. Everything we found we were able to move with 8 hands.

Thanks! Appreciate it.
Jeff- Burchfield TC

Before You Speak....Ask Yourself
...is it kind?
...it it true?
...is it necessary?
Does it improve upon the silence?
mjpo

Postby F7Cannon » April 5th, 2013, 12:16 pm

xcrdr wrote:Went out with a few guys and pulled a ton of deadfall off the trail. Also picked up dozens of trail maps at the kiosk and some on the trail. Not sure how they got there. Almost looked like someone scattered them in the woods. Trail was in great shape overall. I was pleasantly surprised.

Thanks for your help Don. Tell your friends I said thank you as well, I really appreciate it. I think things will come along quickly out there!
08 Trek 6000
09 Bianchi Sok 29er Rigid SS- 20.5 lbs
11 MARIN Lombard
12 Scott Scale Team 29er 1x10

2012 Miles SS-3140 Geared-79 Road Bike-851
2013 Miles SS-722 Geared-807 Road Bike-299
2014 Miles SS-441 Geared-909 Road Bike-211
F7Cannon

Postby xcrdr » April 5th, 2013, 3:35 pm

F7Cannon wrote:
xcrdr wrote:Went out with a few guys and pulled a ton of deadfall off the trail. Also picked up dozens of trail maps at the kiosk and some on the trail. Not sure how they got there. Almost looked like someone scattered them in the woods. Trail was in great shape overall. I was pleasantly surprised.

Thanks for your help Don. Tell your friends I said thank you as well, I really appreciate it. I think things will come along quickly out there!

Our pleasure of course. The TTF's looked good. There is still alot of debris in the form of short limbs and sticks and leaves that need to be cleared as usual. It was great to see even low lying sections nice and dry. I'm sure the predicted rain next week will change that a bit. Hopefully folks will be patient after the rain.

Redline d660 1X9
Scott Speedster
xcrdr

Postby reidabel » April 5th, 2013, 9:10 pm

Got out and rode pretty much everything in the late afternoon today, didn't see any other bikes, but there were two cars with bike racks in the Riverbend lot. Lots of tracks in the softer spots, only a few rutted areas. A bit muddy in the pines (Nathan Dynamite) but nowhere near as bad as it has been in the past. I found three things that I couldn't remove on my own, so I'm going to take my chainsaw out in the morning and chop them up. I will probably make a (smallish) log pile out of a small tree uprooted across Swamp Thing.

Inspected Hellboy and rode all 5 lines, all is fine there. Inspected and rode the Serenity stunt and it is fine, though somebody went to some effort to dislodge the corner's directional board, taking a chunk out of the deck board it was nailed into. On the new stunt I built last Fall on Dragonball Run, somebody had taken my leftover pile of deck boards to make the initial step-up easier, and placed a chunk of log to make the first corner's platform easier to get onto. Removed all of that - I say if you can't ride it the way it was designed, work on your skills, don't dumb it down! Or at least take the modifications away once you're done playing. That piece of log was just loose on the deck and would probably have moved when tires hit it.

The dumbing-down of Burchfield seems to have continued in a couple of non-stunt areas, such as on Bob's Supremacy where a long-time log across the trail has now been removed. Somebody arranged some old boards to make a skinny-to-small-drop in what will likely become a submerged area beside the first long bridge on Swamp Thing.There's definitely some activity out there.

All in all, things are looking pretty good already. Lots of leaf cover left, no doubt that's why the rakes were mentioned for the trail day. It is a bit difficult to pick out the trail sometimes, even if you know it well. Riders new to Burchfield would no doubt have some difficulty staying on track.
reidabel

Postby F7Cannon » April 6th, 2013, 8:41 am

Thanks for your help Reid. Can't wait to see what you have in mind for the Hansons project.

It's a real shame people keep altering the stunts out there. I don't think we are ever going to be able to stop it unless we actually catch them in the act which seems to never happen.
08 Trek 6000
09 Bianchi Sok 29er Rigid SS- 20.5 lbs
11 MARIN Lombard
12 Scott Scale Team 29er 1x10

2012 Miles SS-3140 Geared-79 Road Bike-851
2013 Miles SS-722 Geared-807 Road Bike-299
2014 Miles SS-441 Geared-909 Road Bike-211
F7Cannon

Postby SteveF » April 6th, 2013, 10:14 am

And even if you catch them chances are they won't understand or care about your reasons they shouldn't do what they do. The best you could hope for is maybe that they'd clear their *beep* off once they're done playing.
Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets replaced.
SteveF

Postby reidabel » April 6th, 2013, 2:10 pm

F7Cannon wrote:Thanks for your help Reid. Can't wait to see what you have in mind for the Hansons project.

It's a real shame people keep altering the stunts out there. I don't think we are ever going to be able to stop it unless we actually catch them in the act which seems to never happen.

Glad to help! Used a whole tank of gas out there this morning, doing more than I had intended. I figured since I was right there, clearing the tree blocking the entrance to the skinny log, I could actually use the wood from it to build a more solid base for the entry ramp board. It is stable enough to ride right now, but I want to go back with a hammer and nails and make it permanent. I also flattened out the skinny log, well, pretty much the first half of it, because of that bad angle that it was on, tilted down to the left. I figure it warped or moved since it was built. I just shaved a half inch off the right edge, no big changes.

Actually, I'm trying NOT to have ideas for Hansen's, since I believe this is going to be Jeff's project. I'm just volunteering some chainsaw help. I could provide some input if asked, but I don't want to try to take over the design or anything - I appreciate that Jeff lets me build things the way I want to. I cleared out some underbrush laying across the logs in that spot this morning, since I was so close.

That stunt you made on Dragonball Run, three side-by-side - I tried the rightmost one four times and hit the chainring on that rock every single time. Am I just doing it wrong, or has something changed? I don't remember hitting the chainring there before.

Somebody removed leaves on Swamp Thing (and elsewhere) this morning (or last night?) and I cut out the tree across the trail, so Swamp Thing is now in GREAT shape for riding. I didn't make a log pile out of it after all, but I left it in big pieces if anybody else wants to use the wood. I release the "dibs" that automatically go to the cutter. The alternate bridge line on Swamp Thing was blocked off, but it would still be easy to ride over the entry blockade and bypass the exit blockade. ... should somebody choose to do it, that is :P

SteveF wrote:And even if you catch them chances are they won't understand or care about your reasons they shouldn't do what they do. The best you could hope for is maybe that they'd clear their *beep* off once they're done playing.

That would be nice. What I have done is hide those materials away from the area so that they can't use them to repeat the modification. That may help, or it may just force them to use sketchier materials. I just hope it doesn't progress to them getting their own boards and nails and REALLY doing some customization! I dread somebody getting hurt on something I've built.

Burchfield is in fantastic shape right now, I'd recommend that everybody get out there and ride before the forecasted rains come.
reidabel

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments