2014 miles/goal: 3120/2500
2015 miles/goal: 5019/5000
2016 miles/goal: 3940/6000
TenSpeed

Re: Mid-State: Burchfield

Postby jonw9 » July 9th, 2011, 6:15 am

Yeah Jeff, go build more trails!

What the heck have you been doing....
"Seriously though, you clearly think a lot more than I do when you are riding." -jajones
"You're going to suffer on a single speed, you might as well suffer going faster." - Indigenous
jonw9

Postby Paul_D » July 9th, 2011, 8:38 am

Or just come out monday and enjoy them with us!
-Paul

"You deserve what you settle for"
Paul_D

Mid-State: Burchfield

Postby TenSpeed » July 9th, 2011, 8:41 am

Monday night I will be hitting a trail a little more difficult than Burchfield.
TenSpeed

Postby AllMountin' » July 9th, 2011, 10:00 am

Did a bit of trail maintenance on last nights ride. Cleared the deadfall and rearranged some debris from McNamara to the small tree grove in the new section. Jeff was out cutting in this same section, so it rides fine thru there. Sounded like Jeff aimed to cut the field portion of that section this morning, so we should be clear to role all advanced trail from the bridge crossing to McNamara and beyond.

Also cut the tree back before the Riverbend crossing, the big bush that's been knocking you off the singletrack after you exit Bob's, and various other slappers along the way. Many remain still, but conditions overall are solid.

Aim to be at McNamara around noon thirty for another round of carnage. If anyone joins, we may be able to grab the bridges for the low spot in the new section. Dependant upon P/U truck availability...
--=Steve=--

Tom Robbins wrote:It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
AllMountin'

Postby AllMountin' » July 9th, 2011, 9:21 pm

Jeff- snagged those bridge sections and hauled them down to the park. I knocked, but only heard the sounds of a vicious beast from within. Got scared and left. :-) Thanks for mowing and opening the new section.

To those who haven't ridden it: The first part is a bit like the previous (Glourious Poperds/field secton) in that it needs ridden in. There is a nice little reward once the trail turns Westward. There is a slight downhill grade before a dip in a little grove of trees. It made my Airborne earn it's namesake. Once you get back into the woods, cross the bridges and turn left, there is a small and steep drop. When you roll over it, the ground is loose at the bottom, and wants to make the front tire dig in- rather than roll out. Gives you that "I'm about to endo" feeling. I'm sure it will firm up with riding in short order.

Spent about 5 hours out there this afternoon, riding and working. Of note- cleared two trouble spots on Nathan Dynamite (Riverbend crossing to Peppermint bridge). The first was at the low hanging vines and downed tree prior to the pines. I didn't remove the tree, but cut the big branch that was sticking halfway into the trail at eye level. The second was shortly after, where a large mass of vines had grown all the way down to waist level. You pretty much had to blast through it- and hope you were still on the trail on the other side. Anyone who has ridden out there recently should notice the difference. It should be good for a couple of weeks or so. There are some minor slappers still in this section, as I tend to focus on the knock you off you bike type stuff and bigger branches.

Also cleared a tree out of the adv. trail section that runs from the river by swamp thing to the back side of the pond near Riverbend. Not sure what it's called, but is my preferred route to complete a loop with Swamp Thing closed. There is a little debris and a couple of small/medium downed trees on this section- but they can be ridden.

Happy riding.
--=Steve=--

AllMountin'

Postby jonw9 » July 10th, 2011, 8:29 am

Thanks Steve,

BTW, are you logging all of your hours out there on the webform (see my signature)
"Seriously though, you clearly think a lot more than I do when you are riding." -jajones
"You're going to suffer on a single speed, you might as well suffer going faster." - Indigenous
jonw9

Postby AllMountin' » July 10th, 2011, 10:25 am

Just logged my first hours yesterday. Also officially joined the rank and file. I am now part of the establishment.
--=Steve=--

AllMountin'

Postby TenSpeed » July 12th, 2011, 2:49 pm

Rode today. Still have not seen a single person on any part of the disc golf course. I miss Enter Sandman and Swamp Thing. I honestly do not like how things are going at Burchfield. I want to part of the solution, but it seems like all of the old stuff is just being forgotten, and only the new areas are being worked on. I don't know the name of the trail that cuts off to the left when you are along the river on the McNamara loop, but it had some good stunts, and tight turns, and that whole train seems to be entirely neglected. One of the bridges is completely gone from it, and there is a huge log almost blocking the entrance. Is this section closed?

I used to love riding at Burchfield last year, but this year, it's a completely different story. It really sucks.
TenSpeed

Postby reidabel » July 12th, 2011, 3:01 pm

I took advantage of our computers being moved to new locations at work today, and rode the entire advanced loop out at Burchfield for the first time (11:30 - 1:00?). Thanks, Jeff, for mowing the new McNamara section (Glorious Poperd's and Smokey and the Bandits, for those who know the new names). It still needs to be broken in, but it can be ridden no problem. The two new bridges in the area that was underwater there are just right, that should help a lot.

I played a few holes of disc golf after my ride, and I've played five full rounds there so far. I bought the annual pass for $40. My daughter played the first round with me (free under 12!), but I haven't been able to drag her out again. It's a lot of fun, but if you're a beginner like me, do the short-to-short (tee pads and holes/cages) to start with. I've seen probably 3 or so groups each time I've been out, but saw only one group today. There's a tournament coming up soon, not sure when.

It was beautiful weather and I had a lot of fun doing the ride. There are a few thorns growing in again on Forest Hump, and there is a small branchy tree down that could use a chainsaw. Go down the biggest downhill on Forest Hump, around the corner through the little mud hole, up the hill, down the hill, and it is just around the corner at the bottom. I made it 75% of the way on the skinny log today, I still haven't been able to completely make it.

Beautiful day for a ride ...
reidabel

Postby reidabel » July 12th, 2011, 4:12 pm

Tenspeed - do you know about the new section that starts behind the old outhouse building at McNamara lot? It goes along the ridge, has a cool big dip and nice flow, then dumps you out to cross the two-track that runs along the river between Riverbend and McNamara? After you cross that you go over a log, then curve left and end up doing the old Bob's Supremacy backwards. I think that Bob's Supremacy is the area you are talking about. All the good stuff, except for the unstable skinny bridges, is still there, I think you noticed the closed entrance, which is no longer used.
reidabel

Postby TenSpeed » July 12th, 2011, 4:17 pm

Why is that entrance now closed? This is the stuff that is just frustrating.
TenSpeed

Postby reidabel » July 12th, 2011, 6:12 pm

I don't know, maybe just because that entrance isn't part of the advanced loop? Maybe it should be open so that people can get on there if they want to. As long as there is signage so that people don't ride the wrong way when they get in, maybe it would be fine ...
reidabel

Postby TenSpeed » July 12th, 2011, 6:38 pm

You really can only see it if you are heading around McNamara the old way, as if you finished Dragonball, and were heading out to McNamara, the entrance angles in.
TenSpeed

Postby jonw9 » July 12th, 2011, 6:40 pm

TenSpeed wrote:Why is that entrance now closed? This is the stuff that is just frustrating.

It is closed, because when we reversed the direction of boB's Supremacy, we felt that head on collisions should be avoided, as those too can be frustrating.
jonw9

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions