CRAMBA: Orion Oaks

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Metro North: Orion Oaks

Postby mobilechimp » May 17th, 2009, 1:07 pm

The trail is mostly dry. There's one huge mud bog on one of the northwest sections (?). This was my first time riding there so I may have that wrong. Just keep an eye out if you're up there, even hiking around it would be a sloppy mess.

Fun trail! I need to ride there more often.
mobilechimp
Administrator

Postby fizgig » June 22nd, 2009, 9:14 am

anyone ridden this lately and know the conditions?
fizgig

Postby kcnado » June 22nd, 2009, 12:52 pm

fizgig wrote:anyone ridden this lately and know the conditions?

Ran through there, not ridden. It ususally dries pretty quick. There is less traffic at this park, and more areas open to the sunlight...
kcnado

Postby c0nsumer » June 22nd, 2009, 9:49 pm

Having never been there, and wanting some place new to go, I ended up at Orion Oaks with some friends today. We rode most all of the trail, and practically all of it was dry, or just a slight bit soft. The only mud we encountered was in the far southeast corner, right along the lake.

The trails seem to be nice beginner-type stuff and I think I'll be bringing my girlfriend here once I get a bike for her to try.
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby fizgig » July 3rd, 2009, 8:02 pm

we checked it out today, interesting

mostly 2 track and even that has been mowed to be like 10' wide, quite different than most other trails around here that we've ridden, some spots the trail is just grass. There's one hill that comes out of nowhere in the upper teens, maybe 17? it was kinda neat to be in the sun most of the time and be able to pedal full tilt down hill and look around without worrying about anything, but it wasn't very challenging.
fizgig

Postby RQ1 » October 27th, 2009, 8:25 pm

This is a great spot for a beginners' night ride - nothing technical, but still plenty of fun in the dark. A couple of nights ago I stopped for a look around in the middle of the large field at the East end. The grass is mostly chest high and the field is a couple hundred yards across in each direction. I counted six pairs of eyes reflecting back at me from three different corners.
RQ1

Postby KLydesdale » October 28th, 2009, 6:04 am

RQ1 wrote:This is a great spot for a beginners' night ride - nothing technical, but still plenty of fun in the dark.

Yeah, it is a great spot for a night ride except for the fact that, like other OC Parks, Orion Oaks officially closes at 1/2 hour after dusk. Apparently you can be ticketed for being in there after closing if a park official or, more likely, an OC sheriff deputy finds you there.
KLydesdale

Postby RQ1 » October 28th, 2009, 2:06 pm

I wondered if it might be a ticketable offense being there after dark. I think you would be unlikely to end up with a ticket, but you never know.

Thanks for pointing that out.
RQ1

Postby c0nsumer » March 19th, 2010, 12:00 pm

Anyone know how Orion Oaks is right now? I want to take my fiancee out there so she can try her new (to her) 29er off road for the first time. I figure it's a good place to get familiar with riding on dirt.
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby RQ1 » March 20th, 2010, 9:21 pm

It's good to go. I'd call it 95% dry.

There's some mud along the grassy stretch west of the Clarkston Road entrance, and one more short patch near the West entrance. In both cases you can pick a line around the wet stuff. Everywhere else, it's pretty much dry.

It's a good starter trail for Significant Others, but be prepared for unleashed dogs - they were out in force today. I had 3 separate cases of over-excited dog greetings. "Don't worry he just wants to play..."

Enjoy,
Rich
RQ1

Postby MountainMike » March 26th, 2010, 10:59 am

Was out there trail running Wednesday. The trail was completely dry and solid at that time.
~Mike

Every reality was once a possibility
MountainMike

Postby MountainMike » April 2nd, 2010, 7:25 pm

Trails are in great shape. No mud, lot's of leaves on some sections.
~Mike

Every reality was once a possibility
MountainMike

Postby Willrock » April 13th, 2011, 8:01 pm

Anyone try it out yet? I'm thinking about hitting it after work tomorrow. I figure most areas should be decent as long as I stay clear of the north end.
Willrock

Postby Steve_Kinley » April 14th, 2011, 7:02 am

OO should be fine, I was riding it a few weeks ago and it was OK.
Hammer Nutrition Endurance Fuels and Supplements
Save 15% off your first order by clicking the link below!
http://www.hammernutrition.com/affiliates/34155
http://www.miscabike.org
Steve_Kinley

Re: CRAMBA: Orion Oaks

Postby turbotoad » December 17th, 2011, 7:08 pm

Rode Orion Oaks today. Snow flurries in the air, a few crunchy frozen muddy spots, and just enough bite in the wind to have cold toes at the end of the ride. I really wish some dedicated singletrack could be developed at Orion. The ride is a fairly good cardio work out if riden at a hard pace, but the technical demands are sorely lacking. There seems to be a fair amount of un-used wooded area that could provide some isolated singletrack opportunities. Does anyone know the status of potential trail development at Orion?
Todd P.
2012 Titus X
2009 Fuji Reveal
2003 Mountain Cycle SLiX
TP
http://www.reverbnation.com/toddparkinson
turbotoad

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments