CRAMBA: Bald Mountain

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: Bald Mountain

Postby i69whitey » July 15th, 2014, 7:57 am

Based on our recent experience at Maybury, I like the sound of this. Thanks for all you do.
"...So whether you have got 29-, 26- or 20-inch wheels, whether you ride XC or DH, whether you've got boobs or balls, i hear you. Let's go ride." - Rachel Atherton
"Ride your bike, sleep when your dead." - dirt
http://thehubofdetroit.org/
i69whitey

Postby utabintarbo » August 24th, 2014, 3:13 pm

No real changes from the previous posts. Other than the mud pits, the only issues are that things are getting a little beat up and this is "liberating" some sand. No huge problems.
Addison Oaks TC

Current quiver

Impulse control fails me. ;)
utabintarbo

Postby Sortaslow » September 5th, 2014, 11:07 am

flamingo wrote:
And like B.M.N., it has plenty of slick, gooey mud flats; a typical DNR trail.

Speaking of which. Rode BM and Addison yesterday for the first time in almost 2 months. The two big puddles on the first half of BM just before the wooden bridge are still there!! This has been pretty much the entire season. I don't think they will go away until frozen. I tried to ride on the edge of one of them but clipped a branch with the handlebar went sideways right into the muddy puddle. Had a nice bath :x Man was I ever cussing the DNR! All it takes is a Gator with a little trailer full of gravel to fill those. What the heck are they waiting for?

They won't go away when frozen. They'll just be frozen.
Sortaslow

Postby utabintarbo » September 27th, 2014, 2:38 pm

Thanks to Tim & Shari the Conklin Connector is rustic, but clear. :icon_thumleft:
Addison Oaks TC

Current quiver

Impulse control fails me. ;)
utabintarbo

Postby Jim O » December 1st, 2014, 12:00 pm

Not to say it could not happen anyway, but my choice is to stay out of the Woods in any park during deer gun season!
Last edited by Jim O on December 2nd, 2014, 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
MLB
Mama's L'il Brat
Jim O

Postby Nooge » January 10th, 2015, 3:45 pm

Excellent riding North Unit Orange (East) Loop. A few icy spots hidden under the snow but not bad
Nooge

Postby Ginnis » January 12th, 2015, 10:48 am

I got a pugsley and I am itching to get out on snow. That said, I am new at this, and perhaps a tad cautious. Would Bald Mtn be a good location to start when the trails have been fb groomed. Need a weekday (mon, wed, friday am) for this as i xc ski up north on the weekends.

Also - is the best parking on Greenshield near the main office?

Thanks! - ginnis
Ginnis

Postby chris_werth » January 16th, 2015, 8:36 am

Got a trail report this morning and the south unit is in great shape for some fat biking. :D
To "come back" would mean I've been somewhere.....not sure if I qualify. W.S 2013
chris_werth

Postby Steve_Kinley » February 11th, 2015, 4:16 pm

Yeah, what Steve V said. If you didn't know about the DNR request that is understandable. And if you did know but chose to ignore, there is nothing that can be done. But it does reflect poorly on bikers in general, particularly when the DNR is supporting riding in the winter by specifically grooming other areas for bikes. Obviously the hikers are even less informed about the request.

The quotes below are from the Bald Mountain DNR. I bolded particularly relevant sentences.

"I would like to thank everyone for showing the respect and restraint from riding on the North Unit trails this winter. Today was the first time that I have seen even one single track out there from a bike. I have heard great feedback from the x-country skiers with the improved conditions. So thanks again and let me know if you have any questions or concerns. Have a great day!"

and

"I would like to help clarify the usage of fat bikes within in the North Unit Trails during the winter. The North Unit trails are prohibited from recreational snowmobile usage. We maintain the trails for the usage of cross country skiing when there is adequate snowfall. We must have a minimum of four inches of snow to be able to set tracks and take out our snowmobile for trail maintenance. Fat Bikes, snow shoeing and hiking are not prohibited from utilizing the trails during the winter but, we are asking that all users be respectful of the short season that skiers can utilize the trails and please use our South Unit trails for their biking and hiking activities. Our South Unit is open to recreational snowmobiling through the day use area and the South Unit Trails. We will be utilizing our snowmobile to assist in the packing of the trails for better Fat Biking conditions."
Hammer Nutrition Endurance Fuels and Supplements
Save 15% off your first order by clicking the link below!
http://www.hammernutrition.com/affiliates/34155
http://www.miscabike.org
Steve_Kinley

Postby AdamRidesABike » April 18th, 2015, 1:50 pm

I went on the south section yesterday off Greenshield. It had multiple bad areas that were all mud. Made getting to the Lake Orion trail hard, and that had some down trees on it as well. Just a heads up.
AdamRidesABike

Postby c0nsumer » May 1st, 2015, 9:49 pm

procos wrote:Rode the south trail off of Greenshield today and there were 5 or 6 mudpits that I had to dismount and walk my bike around. What can be done to fix these areas? They always seem to be mudpits in those areas.

Thanks,

Chuck

These'll be looked at as well. We're just renewing our relationship with the DNR in Bald Mountain, but be assured that having a year-round ridable dry trail is a goal.
Steve Vigneau

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby procos » May 1st, 2015, 9:53 pm

c0nsumer wrote:
procos wrote:Rode the south trail off of Greenshield today and there were 5 or 6 mudpits that I had to dismount and walk my bike around. What can be done to fix these areas? They always seem to be mudpits in those areas.

Thanks,

Chuck

These'll be looked at as well. We're just renewing our relationship with the DNR in Bald Mountain, but be assured that having a year-round ridable dry trail is a goal.

Awesome!! Thanks for the quick response. I really enjoy the south trail when I want to do 2 quick loops. Only takes me 10 minutes to get to the trail head.
procos

Postby jreyst » February 9th, 2016, 7:24 pm

Rode Bald Mountain North this afternoon on a skinny with studs. Looks like there was only one fatty out before me. I was able to do all of it but it was quite a workout due to the 3-5" of fresh snow.
--
John Reyst
Primary: 2007 Giant Trance (1x10)
Backup: 2013 Fezzari Wiki Peak
First Bike: 2004 Gary Fisher Cake
jreyst

Postby Toy529 » February 12th, 2016, 9:12 am

I will be one of the slackers later this afternoon
Toy529

Postby DNR_Bald Mountain » February 21st, 2016, 11:22 am

Good Morning,

I was able to get out on the South Unit trails this morning and cleared all the downed trees in the area. The plan was to head to the North Unit after lunch, but the trail conditions are pretty bad at the moment. Mud everywhere. So, the new plan is to let the trails freeze tonight and hopefully get out to the North first thing tomorrow morning and clear them. My goal is to not create any excessive damage due to the moderate temperatures right now.

That being said, I have a small request from anyone who frequents the trails and enjoys them. Last night, sometime after 5pm, someone was nice enough to cut down one of our barrier post on East Greenshield and rode a ATV through the South unit trails on what was probably the worst day ever to do it given the soft trails. Needless to say, there is ALOT of damage on the uphill/downhill sections and recently patched muddy areas. If anyone sees or hears anyone doing something like this PLEASE CALL either our office 248-693-6767 or the Report All Poaching line at 1-800-292-7800 and get that information to us ASAP. The sheriff is an option as well, though they usually don't know all the park rules and restrictions.

Thanks,
Paul Majchrowski
Lead Ranger 9
Bald Mountain Recreation Area
DNR_Bald Mountain

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions