CRAMBA: Bald Mountain

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: Bald Mountain

Postby Jim O » October 1st, 2014, 5:21 am

utabintarbo wrote:Thanks to Tim & Shari the Conklin Connector is rustic, but clear. :icon_thumleft:

Sorry sir, out of town for a while and could not help out.
MLB
Mama's L'il Brat
Jim O

Postby DNR_Bald Mountain » November 18th, 2014, 1:09 pm

Hello,
I created this account today to provide an official presence and contact for trail conditions at Bald Mountain Recreation Area from the DNR. My name is Paul and I have been a ranger with the department since 2001. Currently, I am working as the Lead Worker at Bald Mountain RA for the forseeable future, tho this may change. Please feel free to contact me via these forums or at the park office regarding trail issues at Bald Mountain. The park phone number is 248-693-6767. If no one answers, please don't hesistate to leave a message as we check the machine constantly.

After reading through some of the posts on this forum, I have a better feel for what everyone is hoping for at Bald Mountain, namely filling in/fixing wet areas. Please know that these issues concern us as well as we wish for everyone to enjoy the park when they come here. Personally, I have hauled many tractor buckets of stone to fix low areas on the trail, though these were in the south unit. Currently, we are working to establish volunteer days to help us with some of these issues.

As far as our staffing goes, well, we are extremely short staffed at this time. Currently we have 2 rangers (including myself) and 1 manager working. With that, I ask that you please be patient with us. It is our position to take care of any downed trees and/or saftey hazards as soon as possible, though we may not be able to handle it that day. Please report downed trees/hazards to our office or here on this forum right away and we will handle the problem, we can't fix it if we don't know about it. :) Also know that we only maintain the designated trails within the park, the social trails/connectors we leave alone as they mainly serve to get people lost who don't know the area.

Now that the snow is starting to fly, it is our intention to be on trails at a minimum of once a week. We will be grooming the North Unit trails once again this year for cross-country skiing. In the South unit we are going to try something new this year by running our snowmobile over the trails to pack them down, allowing the opportunity for fat biking a packed down trail. Also in the works is a possible fat bike demo day here at the park, I will post more information as it comes available.

As of yesterday, 11/17/14, the South unit has been cleared of downed trees and hazards. The North unit is next on our agenda and we are hoping to have it done by weeks end. Please remember, this time of year is Shotgun Deer season so our time frame of getting into the trails to clear is pretty limited, we try to do it midday. Also, remember your bright colors if your gonna ride, it helps everyone out in the long run.

I hope that I can help and address any issues/concerns that you may have and we can all work together to make Bald Mountain a better place to ride. Please note that while we appreciate the passion to make the trails better on your own, any work or improvements not approved by the park are illegal. Please contact us so we can work with you to bring the trails to a higher standard. I look forward to hearing from and working with you.

Thank you,
Paul Majchrowski
WOC Lead Worker 9
Bald Mountain Recreation Area
1330 East Greenshield Road
Lake Orion, MI 48360
248-693-6767
DNR_Bald Mountain

Postby flamingo » November 18th, 2014, 4:24 pm

Rode the trail at night last Sunday. Dark, cold and spooky but one has to stay in shape :) . No fallen trees, leaf cover in most of the areas, the muddy spots are starting to freeze.
flamingo

Postby utabintarbo » November 18th, 2014, 9:16 pm

Thanks Paul! I'm sure there are quite a few here who are grateful to see an "official" presence for Bald Mtn. here. :icon_thumleft:
utabintarbo

Postby Sortaslow » November 18th, 2014, 10:52 pm

Yes. This is great to hear and appreciated by all.
Sortaslow

Postby jjmcwill » November 19th, 2014, 8:15 am

This is great to hear!

It's natural for me to ride Bald Mtn North and Addison Oaks together, and sometimes to ride Bald Mtn South and LOHS together as well. I've also used both units as a hiker and as a trail runner, and I've been geocaching in the south unit.

Your winter plans for the North & South units sound good to me. I enjoy using the XC skis when the snow starts to accumulate, and with the rising popularity of fat bikes, it's good to see them have an opportunity to ride.

I look forward to the fat bike demo day and trail day announcements in the future.
jjmcwill

Postby c0nsumer » November 19th, 2014, 10:34 am

DNR_Bald Mountain wrote:I created this account today to provide an official presence and contact for trail conditions at Bald Mountain Recreation Area from the DNR. My name is Paul and I have been a ranger with the department since 2001.

Hello Paul, thanks for joining and welcome to the forum. Along with others here, I'm personally really excited to see you (and the others at Bald Mountain) here on the forum, as this communication channel can be very beneficial for everything. Please don't hesitate to let us (any of the admins/moderators) know if there's anything you need.
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby Jim O » November 19th, 2014, 10:43 am

Paul, thanks for the introduction and the efforts already underway at Bald Mt. Looks like you have hit the ground running and have some good plans for future and immediate use. Look forward working with you and hope we can have the same type of relationship already established(10 years) at Holly State Rec./Holdridge with Shawn Speakers.

Jim Owens
CRAMBA
Friends of Holly State Rec.
MLB
Mama's L'il Brat
Jim O

Postby Mack » November 19th, 2014, 12:35 pm

Paul, welcome and thank you! we look froward to working with you and Bald Mountain rec area.
Paul McAllister
Clinton River Park Trail Co-Trail Coordintator
Mack

Location: 42° 34' 49" N ~ 83° 1' 49" W Weekends 44° 46' 57" N ~ 85° 1' 14" W

Postby KLydesdale » November 19th, 2014, 2:23 pm

Welcome Paul.

Based on my experience riding there over the last several winters, I don't see any real need for the DNR to start packing snow down on the South Unit trails. The local snowmobilers do a darned good job of it!
KLydesdale

Postby KLydesdale » November 20th, 2014, 10:46 am

And speaking of snow, the conditions at BMS were really nice for riding in it last night. (as was the LOHS trail too.)
KLydesdale

Postby DNR_Bald Mountain » November 21st, 2014, 11:16 am

Hello again,
North Unit trails were confirmed clear by our staff on weds 11/19/14.

Paul Majchrowski
WOC Lead Worker 9
Bald Mountain Recreation Area
1330 East Greenshield Road
Lake Orion, MI 48360
248-693-6767
DNR_Bald Mountain

Postby Mack » Today, 10:25 am

This hunter from Massachusetts, did exactly what you are NOT
supposed to do. He shot at movemenmt, after he lost track of the deer he was watching in the brush. lucky he didn't kIll that man, f@#king a$$hole.
He broke one of the cardinal rules of hunting, you don't aim a gun at movement period. As a hunter this absolutley disgusts me.

Here is the story from The Freep.
http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/m ... /19600691/
Paul McAllister
Clinton River Park Trail Co-Trail Coordintator
Mack

Location: 42° 34' 49" N ~ 83° 1' 49" W Weekends 44° 46' 57" N ~ 85° 1' 14" W

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments