CRAMBA: Bald Mountain

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: Bald Mountain

Postby c0nsumer » June 25th, 2015, 7:27 pm

EDIT: This event is CANCELLED due to rain.

Hey Everyone! Just a reminder that we're having a trail day at Bald Mountain North Unit on Saturday, June 27th, beginning at 10am.

Meet at the small parking area on Harmon Rd., just south of where it turns west into Miller Rd. We'll be working on the small mud holes in the downhill just before the bridge adjacent to the road.

Come on out and help fix this problem area and help make your trail even better.

A Facebook event is here for those who like such things: https://www.facebook.com/events/958122920873733/

As always, all CRAMBA trail days can be found here on the CRAMBA calendar: http://www.cramba.org/calendar/

(Note: This trail day was previously to work another area, but after discussing things with the DNR we decided this is the better option for Saturday's work.)
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member
Bald Mountain Trail Coordinator / Addison Oaks Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby utabintarbo » June 26th, 2015, 9:24 am

KLydesdale wrote:
flamingo wrote:The problem with the reroute is the same as always - bloody bureacrats in Lansing. Bald Mountain can be a fun trail when ridden fast but those people just dont care.

Can't really put all the blame on folks in Lansing when other parks are not only building trails, boardwalks and bridges right through wetlands and headwaters but also using Michigan Natural Resources Trust Fund (MNRTF) money to do so. Case in point: the River Loop at Independence Oaks.

Independence Oaks is an Oakland County park, rather than a state park, so kind of an apples/oranges comparison. In any case, I tend to agree with the sentiment, but we still have to play the game the way the land manager requires we play it.
utabintarbo

Postby c0nsumer » June 27th, 2015, 6:35 am

Today's trail day at Bald Mountain is CANCELLED due to rain.

It's been raining for most of the night and appears that it won't let up for a number of hours, so we'll be rescheduling this for another day. Keep an eye on here, the CRAMBA Calendar (http://cramba.org/calendar) and the CRAMBA Facebook pages for the new trail day date.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby lawn dart » June 27th, 2015, 7:55 am

c0nsumer wrote:Today's trail day at Bald Mountain is CANCELLED due to rain...

Darn! For once I was actually ready & able.

Looks like I'll have to eat all these donuts myself.
lawn dart

Postby c0nsumer » June 27th, 2015, 7:58 am

Sorry. :( It's just going to be too wet with no end to the rain in sight.

I'll be there at the work site in case anyone shows up, but not planning to work.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member

c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby c0nsumer » June 27th, 2015, 8:39 am

lawn dart wrote:Looks like I'll have to eat all these donuts myself.

Also, mmm! I'm really wanting something sweet about now...
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member

c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby DNR_Bald Mountain » July 3rd, 2015, 10:17 am

Hello Everyone,
We have been extremely busy here due to summer coming into full swing, but I wanted to a least give you a heads up on trail issues here at the park. My staff has been working extremely hard on trimming trails back over the past few weeks. The south unit has been completed and we are approximately 1/2 way done with the north unit. This week we have also started mowing the trails once again, with about 1/3 of the south unit completed. We have also been working on getting trail signs/posts replaced as needed.

The beaver issue near carpenter lake is still an ongoing problem, though we have reinforced the "dam preventer" near the trail. I expect this will continue to be a problem until trapping season opens. :(

I noticed in some posts above the concern about the trail behind the Predmore/East Graham area and its continued mud. We are looking very hard at that area and plan to be working on it this fall if everything falls into place. :)

Now for the bad news..... We have experienced a series of equipment failures here over the past 2 weeks that have set us behind in regards to trail work. Our ATV/Gator utility vehicle went down 2 weeks ago and with that my staff has been on foot/hiking through all the trails to get them trimmed back. While we are able to trim trails still without the gator, getting our chainsaw back into the remote areas of the trails to clear downed trees has been an issue. We are able to get the trees that are somewhat close to the trail heads, but anything way out there is unfortunately going to have to wait until we get the Gator back (hopefully 7/7/15).

This week, one of our mowers has suffered a catastrophic breakdown which has left us with one operational mower to mow the day use, parking areas, trails, etc. This has set us back a bit in regards to trail mowing as the large areas get mowed weekly and take priority. However, we will be mowing the trails when we get the time/opportunity to do so.

Please continue to report downed trees/issues to us via our office or these forums here and we will get to all problems as soon as we get our equipment back :)

Thank you for being patient with us and have a great holiday weekend!
Paul Majchrowski
Lead Ranger 9
Bald Mountain Recreation Area
248-693-6767
DNR_Bald Mountain

Postby Steve_Kinley » Yesterday, 11:00 am

I rode the south unit this morning, 7/4, and the trail was in relatively good shape, the mud is drying nicely. There is a big tree (18" or so) blocking the trail between markers 3 and 4, just after the entrance to LOHS if going clockwise. Another smaller on is near marker 4 but can be ridden around.
Hammer Nutrition Endurance Fuels and Supplements
Save 15% off your first order by clicking the link below!
http://www.hammernutrition.com/affiliates/34155
http://www.miscabike.org
Steve_Kinley

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments