CRAMBA: Bald Mountain

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: Bald Mountain

Postby i69whitey » July 15th, 2014, 7:57 am

Based on our recent experience at Maybury, I like the sound of this. Thanks for all you do.
"...So whether you have got 29-, 26- or 20-inch wheels, whether you ride XC or DH, whether you've got boobs or balls, i hear you. Let's go ride." - Rachel Atherton
"Ride your bike, sleep when your dead." - dirt
http://thehubofdetroit.org/
i69whitey

Postby ihateplaindave » July 15th, 2014, 9:09 am

"Thanks for all you do."
+1
ihateplaindave

Postby lawn dart » July 15th, 2014, 10:59 am

DNR_Maybury wrote:Just an update: I spoke to the Supervisor and Lead Worker at Bald and they have been working on the issues. THIS PROCESS TAKES A WHILE! As far as staff goes the two that lead this park are some of the best that I know and I'm sure that they would welcome some volunteer help. If you wish to volunteer call the headquarters line at (248) 693-6767. Ask for Andrew (Supervisor) or D.J. (Lead Worker) they could give you more information. Also, realize that many of us parks utilize the help of volunteers to get these trail projects done, and we always welcome the help of volunteers!

Thanks Trevor.
Calls made!
lawn dart

Postby Joe Shenfeld » July 15th, 2014, 11:16 am

Sounds good thank you Trevor. I will call as well and see if dates and times can be cooridinated with some of the other local riders (in LO and Oxford) who like me like and use this trail frequently.

Lots of bug spray and clothing will be required there deer flies there are horrendous currently
MTB'ing: Blood, Sweat and Scars = Stress Relief!
Joe Shenfeld

Postby Steve_Kinley » July 16th, 2014, 4:13 pm

The current Bald Mountain TC asked me to pass along this email:

Good morning Dennis,

I wanted to touch base with you regarding our trails. I received one call this past week and then I was given an update on some other bikers concerns from the MMBA website. I wanted to inform you that we have been working on trail trimming over the past month. The South Unit trails have been completely trimmed along the sides and also been mowed twice. We have only been able to mow the North Unit once this season due to the heavy amounts of rain that we have received. We have actually gotten our mowers stuck within the mud out there. We were also out last week and cleared all of the down trees. My guys finished up at the end of last week trimming the trails within the North Unit.

As for the large washout that is located just west of marker six. We were held up in the repair process. Since the trail dissects two wetlands we had to have it inspected and get our trail repair approved by the DEQ. I have ordered and will receive the shipment of wood this week to install a new boardwalk. I hope to begin construction at the beginning of next week as long as mother nature will cooperate and allow us to do so.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns regarding the trails. We want to continue to improve the trails and help build a working relationship. Have a great day.

DJ Coffey
Michigan Department of Natural Resources
Lead Worker 9, Bald Mountain State Rec. Area
1330 E. Greenshield Rd.
Lake Orion, MI 48360
248-693-6767
Hammer Nutrition Endurance Fuels and Supplements
Save 15% off your first order by clicking the link below!
http://www.hammernutrition.com/affiliates/34155
http://www.miscabike.org
Steve_Kinley

Postby GooseR6 » July 16th, 2014, 8:13 pm

Awesome Steve, thanks for the update. After reading the other posts I called to offer assistance. I would have never known who to call. I also have many unneeded oval retaining wall bricks if anyone can use them for any trail. Please PM me if they will help.

Great job on everyone working to get Bald Mountain fixed. Rode it last night and just the ditch and a few wet spots were issues.
GooseR6

Postby lawn dart » July 17th, 2014, 11:17 am

Steve_Kinley wrote:"...We have only been able to mow the North Unit once this season due to the heavy amounts of rain that we have received. We have actually gotten our mowers stuck within the mud out there."
DJ Coffey...

Good to know even the Bald Mountain North DNR has had trouble with the muddy sections. (Mental note: Mention to DEQ that you honestly CAN'T mow until they let you fix the muddy places first.) :icon_thumright:
lawn dart

Postby c0nsumer » July 17th, 2014, 11:22 pm

Rode North today. Almost all the trail is passable, including the section below the ranger's house. The only bad spot is the aforementioned muddy bit just after the Conklin Rd. connector. I ended up walking my bike here, with my feet on the logs laid in the mud along the left hand side. I can't remember the last time I saw this section so bad... maybe four years ago?

The section immediately after the main parking lot is a bit icky, but there's a mostly goaround forming on the left. It's not bad.

The washout is probably ridable at the far left, but you want to take care to either hop it or go very slow. Hitting that thing fast with wheels on the ground would be BAD.

The rest of the trail was in great shape and really worth riding. I'm looking forward to the whole thing being smoothly passable.
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby flamingo » July 18th, 2014, 4:55 pm

I am glad we were able to stir enough noise that people actually talk about and acknowledge the issues concerning the trail. I will be gone for next month or so but later this year I would be willing to volunteer to build a walkway at the entrance. I ride it so often that I would be willing to pony up some $$ to buy the material as well.
flamingo

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments