CRAMBA: Bald Mountain

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: Bald Mountain

Postby Toaster » March 20th, 2015, 7:36 am

Alright everyone you can put away your lead pipes. Haven't road BM yet, that's why I asked.
Toaster

Postby c0nsumer » March 20th, 2015, 7:43 am

Toaster wrote:Alright everyone you can put away your lead pipes. Haven't road BM yet, that's why I asked.

It's important to realize that there's also a big difference between the summertime wet area mud and the thawing-trail mud we have right now. While on first blush they appear similar, what we have right now is muddy areas (often entire trails) that are soft because the ground is thawing from the top down. While the ground up top is thawed it stays wet and sloppy because the ground below is frozen, acting just like a swimming pool liner, keeping water pooling up top. Ruts and damage done this time of year will quickly dry in place once the ground finishes thawing and the water can drain out the bottom, leading to crappy, dried-in ruts that often remain all year. These ruts then allow water to pool or flow, adding to erosion. People then tend to ride at the edge widening the trail, etc.

Because this pooling doesn't happen in summer time the top layer doesn't get nearly as saturated, mud isn't as deep, rutting isn't as bad, etc. This is evidenced by often being able to ride a day or so after the heaviest storms.

It's really best to stay off the trails this time of year as a whole -- single track or not. Wait until the ground finishes thawing and it won't be long before they are good to go.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member
Bald Mountain Trail Coordinator / Addison Oaks Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby 2niner » March 20th, 2015, 7:48 am

Toaster wrote:Alright everyone you can put away your lead pipes. Haven't road BM yet, that's why I asked.

Thanks for getting it out of the way, this question gets asked every year at this time.
2niner

Postby dinov » March 20th, 2015, 8:07 am

Waiting for someone to see the 1st Worm too!
2013 Specialized Camber Comp 29er
dinov

Postby lawn dart » March 20th, 2015, 10:24 am

c0nsumer wrote:It's important to realize that there's also a big difference between the summertime wet area mud and the thawing-trail mud we have right now. While on first blush they appear similar, what we have right now is muddy areas (often entire trails) that are soft because the ground is thawing from the top down. Ruts and damage done this time of year will quickly dry in place once the ground finishes thawing and the water can drain out the bottom, leading to crappy, dried-in ruts that often remain all year. These ruts then allow water to pool or flow, adding to erosion. People then tend to ride at the edge widening the trail, etc.
Because this pooling doesn't happen in summer time the top layer doesn't get nearly as saturated, mud isn't as deep, rutting isn't as bad, etc. This is evidenced by often being able to ride a day or so after the heaviest storms.

Brilliant bit o' info.
Abiding by proper decorum is rewarding when one understands the logic behind it.

Toaster wrote:Alright everyone you can put away your lead pipes...

It's for your own good, Toaster. :shock:

Just kidding! I believe everyone who frequents these boards wants what's best -- long term -- for our trails.
lawn dart

Postby jreyst » March 20th, 2015, 10:25 am

Agreed. We're at least aware enough to know there's a community of like-minded people out there who we can learn from, or at least point and laugh at when they break down without a multitool! :D I kid I kid!
--
John Reyst
Primary: 2007 Giant Trance (1x10)
Backup: 2013 Fezzari Wiki Peak
First Bike: 2004 Gary Fisher Cake
jreyst

Postby Steve_Kinley » March 20th, 2015, 10:35 am

Stopped in at the Lake George entrance to the north unit this morning and while there was very little evidence of bicycle tracks, someone had been on the trail with a motorcycle :shock: In the short section of trail I walked it didn't appear that they were spinning their tires, but sections of softer mud definitely have a deep track in it.
Hammer Nutrition Endurance Fuels and Supplements
Save 15% off your first order by clicking the link below!
http://www.hammernutrition.com/affiliates/34155
http://www.miscabike.org
Steve_Kinley

Postby Jim O » March 20th, 2015, 11:14 am

Hey Paul,
You or maybe DJ with his last deed at Bald Mountain need to bust the motorcyclist!
MLB
Mama's L'il Brat
Jim O

Postby flamingo » March 22nd, 2015, 9:33 pm

Was hoping that the freezing temperatures last night would freeze the trail. Went there around 1PM. The intense sunshine has thawed many parts of the trail by that time. Ended up walking my bike in many sections not to cause routs. Yes there were some motorcycle or fat bike marks on the trail. Did/walked the west loop only and went home. Pulled out my hardtail and went to ride on gravel roads. Rode the Lake George and had a peek at Addison Oaks. Looked like a serious mud bath. The eastern tip of BM looked similar. With the temperatures plummeting below freezing at nights this week, my prediction is for another three more weeks before we can ride these trails.
flamingo

Postby Mr.Cheetah » March 24th, 2015, 10:14 am

I road the north and south unit yesterday... It was frozen enough for a fatty. North is better than South.
Mr.Cheetah

Postby S3aturnR » Yesterday, 10:25 am

thinking about trying to ride the northeast loop today. hoping it will be firm enough...
S3aturnR

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments