CRAMBA: Bald Mountain

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: Bald Mountain

Postby c0nsumer » May 6th, 2015, 9:23 am

flamingo wrote:It looks like rain for Saturday. Will the trail day take place in rain? I figure the gravel is not going to melt in rain :)

Yep! That's the plan. If it's just sprinkling this shouldn't interrupt our work. With everything we've got lined up for it, rescheduling to another day will be pretty complicated.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member
Bald Mountain Trail Coordinator / Addison Oaks Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby c0nsumer » May 8th, 2015, 2:31 pm

Hey Everyone! Just a quick reminder about tomorrow's trail day at Bald Mountain Recreation Area, North Unit. This'll be taking place at 10am (on May 9th) at the main parking lot at Harmon and Predmore Roads. Bring the usual trail day stuff (long sleeves/pants, gloves, hat, something to drink) plus -- if you have them -- shovels and muck boots. We'll be putting in culverts and raising the trail surface of the wet area immediately after the parking lot, so part of the work will be in the mud. See you there!
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby flamingo » May 8th, 2015, 9:41 pm

Rode the South unit today together with LOHS. The way the south looks made me appreciate the North unit. Waaay too much mud. I had to hose my bike down after the ride. Unless we get an exceptionally dry summer I don't think I will be riding this trail. It is just too much mud for non challenging few miles of double track.
flamingo

Postby c0nsumer » May 8th, 2015, 9:42 pm

flamingo wrote:Rode the South unit today together with LOHS. The way the south looks made me appreciate the North unit. Waaay too much mud. I had to hose my bike down after the ride. Unless we get an exceptionally dry summer I don't think I will be riding this trail. It is just too much mud for non challenging few miles of double track.

I'm hoping this is something we can get changed longer term. Also, it dries out nicely later in the year... And in the winter, since it's open to snowmobiles? Damned fine fatbiking.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member

c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby c0nsumer » May 10th, 2015, 9:36 am

Thanks to the 18 volunteers who showed up to fix one of the muddiest parts of the Bald Mountain North Unit trail yesterday!

See this writeup on cramba.org which includes photos of the work being done yesterday: http://www.cramba.org/2015/05/10/bald-m ... trail-day/
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member

c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby lawn dart » May 10th, 2015, 10:29 am

Outstanding!
This was no slip-shod patch. This is a whole-scale rehabilitation of that section. Very impressive. Many thanks to all involved.
I'm already imagining how much faster we will be able to enter the next uphill section. *rubbing hands together*

What's next on the Bald Mountain North Fix agenda?
lawn dart

Postby c0nsumer » May 10th, 2015, 11:13 am

lawn dart wrote:Outstanding!
This was no slip-shod patch. This is a whole-scale rehabilitation of that section. Very impressive. Many thanks to all involved.
I'm already imagining how much faster we will be able to enter the next uphill section. *rubbing hands together*

What's next on the Bald Mountain North Fix agenda?

The drainage just after entering the main loop from the Conklin Road Connector.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member

c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby lawn dart » May 10th, 2015, 4:21 pm

c0nsumer wrote:
lawn dart wrote:What's next on the Bald Mountain North Fix agenda?

Excellent! One of my favorite areas to complain about at Bald Mountain North. Sign me up for that Trail Day!
lawn dart

Postby c0nsumer » May 10th, 2015, 4:23 pm

lawn dart wrote:
c0nsumer wrote:
lawn dart wrote:What's next on the Bald Mountain North Fix agenda?

Excellent! One of my favorite areas to complain about at Bald Mountain North. Sign me up for that Trail Day!

June 27th!: http://www.cramba.org/calendar/

And thank you for the kind words about the repair. We feel pretty good about it, and the limestone surface should harden up even more after these rains. I really like the two banked uphill corners after this section, so I really look forward to riding into them at a brisk pace.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member

c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby Mack » May 11th, 2015, 8:27 am

We were out in that area yesterday, and stopped by for a look. WOW what
an awesome job you folks did on rehabbing that section of trail. My hats off to
to all of you great volunteers, who took time out of your busy lives to complete that project.
Paul McAllister
Clinton River Park Trail Co-Trail Coordintator
Mack

Location: 42° 34' 49" N ~ 83° 1' 49" W Weekends 44° 46' 57" N ~ 85° 1' 14" W

Postby c0nsumer » May 15th, 2015, 7:13 pm

North Unit was wet and slick. Not trail damaging, but unpleasant in places. The fix is looking great, but some of the springtime muddy spots have appeared. I'd give it a day or three.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member

c0nsumer
Administrator

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments