CRAMBA: Bald Mountain

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: Bald Mountain

Postby 2niner » July 12th, 2016, 12:56 pm

DNR_Bald Mountain wrote:Hello all,
I apologize from being absent on these forums as of late, but I have been checking them on a continuous basis for hazard reports. The summer has been flying by around here and we have been working extensively on the South unit trails getting them trimmed back. As of last week the South Unit was finished and we have made our way into the North. As of today we are approximately 1/2 way done with the north unit trails and will continue working on them this week to try and finish them up. I also am planning on sending our mower back out into the North and South to give the trails another good mow.

As always, please report any hazards you may run into on the trails and we will get to them ASAP. I am also planning on doing more bike patrols here in the second half of the summer, so don't hesitate to say Hi if you see us out there.

Thanks,
Paul Majchrowski
Lead Ranger
Bald Mountain Recreation Area
1330 East Greenshield Road
Lake Orion, MI 48360
248-693-6767

Awesome. Thank you. Last time I tried to take the Conklin Rd connector trail in it was so overgrown , does this get mowed/trimmed also? It was a couple of weeks ago so I apologize if it has already been addressed. Thanks again!
2niner

Postby DNR_Bald Mountain » July 12th, 2016, 3:58 pm

As the Conklin connector is not an designated trail within the park, we do not maintain it. Normally CRAMBA volunteers through a organized volunteer day maintain that trail.
DNR_Bald Mountain

Postby utabintarbo » July 13th, 2016, 10:11 am

DNR_Bald Mountain wrote:As the Conklin connector is not an designated trail within the park, we do not maintain it. Normally CRAMBA volunteers through a organized volunteer day maintain that trail.

A trail day to address the Conklin Connector was discussed last night at the Chapter meeting. Look for info soon!
Addison Oaks TC

Current quiver

Impulse control fails me. ;)
utabintarbo

Postby jreyst » July 14th, 2016, 1:12 pm

Ventured about 50 yards in from Lake George entrance before bailing due to mud at 10 am today.
--
John Reyst
Primary: 2007 Giant Trance (1x10)
Backup: 2013 Fezzari Wiki Peak
First Bike: 2004 Gary Fisher Cake
jreyst

Postby Steve_Kinley » July 31st, 2016, 3:22 pm

My wife and I hiked half of the south unit this afternoon and it was surprisingly dry, the usual mud pits were not holding water. The down hill from the LOHS cutoff to marker #4 needs attention, actually it needs a reroute. Water continually erodes ditches down the hill, in spite of gravel and other attempts to mitigate the runoff.

The hill was originally rerouted in 1998 as part of a MMBA trail day to avoid the original downhill that was rutted and channeled runoff. The reroute was not well designed back then but it was what the park management at the time wanted. It might be time to investigate rerouting the reroute.
Hammer Nutrition Endurance Fuels and Supplements
Save 15% off your first order by clicking the link below!
http://www.hammernutrition.com/affiliates/34155
http://www.miscabike.org
Steve_Kinley

Postby c0nsumer » August 8th, 2016, 9:26 pm

North unit is sandy, but otherwise in VERY good shape. It's really obvious the DNR folks have been mowing and keeping things on the main loop trimmed back. Sand is... well... it's Bald Mountain in August. I almost lost it a couple times tonight, but it was still fun.
Steve Vigneau
Bald Mountain Trail Coordinator / Addison Oaks Co-Trail Coordinator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions