CRAMBA: Bald Mountain

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: Bald Mountain

Postby Steve_Kinley » March 23rd, 2014, 8:43 pm

The south unit has been packed pretty well by the snowmobiles this winter and still has a pretty firm base, although a little bumpy from the walkers in spots. I noticed that the fat bikers were riding on the sides of the trail where the trail was smoother.
Hammer Nutrition Endurance Fuels and Supplements
Save 15% off your first order by clicking the link below!
http://www.hammernutrition.com/affiliates/34155
http://www.miscabike.org
Steve_Kinley

Postby flamingo » March 26th, 2014, 7:04 pm

Did another ride this evening. Somehow the deep loose sections were gone, or it helped to follow tracks left by a snow bike earlier today. Managed to ride the entire loop non stop. Studed tires are awesome. I guess with the mild weather coming tomorrow this will be it for snow/ice riding this year.
flamingo

Postby CannondaleMike » March 27th, 2014, 9:28 pm

Does anyone have the road conditions around Bald Mountain & the roads to the North? Was hoping to gain some fat bike mileage as I assume the trails will be slush this weekend....
CannondaleMike

Postby utabintarbo » March 28th, 2014, 6:25 am

CannondaleMike wrote:Does anyone have the road conditions around Bald Mountain & the roads to the North? Was hoping to gain some fat bike mileage as I assume the trails will be slush this weekend....

The roads to the south and east were pretty decent, but not perfect, on Wednesday. Things got a bit messier the further north I went. I'd want fenders. :P
utabintarbo

Postby CannondaleMike » March 31st, 2014, 11:10 pm

Roads on Sunday were not too bad around Bald Mountain and North. Could not ride the trail, too slushy. Rode approximately 30 miles. Fenders are a must! Tried the Poly Ann as well....it was a no go. Needs several more weeks for snow melt and to dry, even for fat bikes.
CannondaleMike

Postby PTrek13 » April 8th, 2014, 11:51 am

Has anyone ridden the North Unit in the past few days? Wondering how bad the conditions are.. Thanks for any update.
14 Trek Fuel EX 8
PTrek13

Postby c0nsumer » April 8th, 2014, 12:10 pm

PTrek13 wrote:Has anyone ridden the North Unit in the past few days? Wondering how bad the conditions are.. Thanks for any update.

Judging by the shoulders of roads in the area on Sunday, it's going to be terrible and should be avoided. On Sunday I sank two inches into the shoulder just stepping off the road to pee. The woods themselves still had snow in them.
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby flamingo » April 9th, 2014, 11:28 am

Rode the gravel roads around yesterday. Walked into the north east entrance from the Lake George Rd. As you can see. It is either snow or mud. There is still plenty of snow in the woods as well. Addison Oaks does not look much better. It will be at least 2 weeks till we can ride in my opinion.

flamingo

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments