CRAMBA: Bald Mountain

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: Bald Mountain

Postby c0nsumer » July 13th, 2015, 1:18 pm

For the Facebook users, here's a FB event for this weekend's trail day at Bald Mountain North Unit: https://www.facebook.com/events/1626610474273623/

Please join us in making your trails nicer; fixing up some of the muddy depressions in the area around the bridge adjacent to the Miller/Harmon Road intersection.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member
Bald Mountain Trail Coordinator / Addison Oaks Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby Steve_Kinley » July 15th, 2015, 6:18 pm

I only rode part of the north unit today and what I did ride seemed in pretty good shape, thanks Paul and crew. I exited through the Conklin road connector and it looks like the trail fairies have been absent for awhile. While passable, it won't be long before it's closed in pretty tight.

Speaking of the north unit I stopped by the office the other day and talked to Paul about some hunting issues and we also discussed some of the trail problems and solutions. We talked about the perpetually wet area behind the ranger's house and he didn't think it would be a problem to move the trail to higher ground to the south. He didn't foresee any wetland issues or other bureaucratic problems.
Hammer Nutrition Endurance Fuels and Supplements
Save 15% off your first order by clicking the link below!
http://www.hammernutrition.com/affiliates/34155
http://www.miscabike.org
Steve_Kinley

Postby c0nsumer » July 17th, 2015, 2:33 pm

Hey Everyone! Please join us for this weekend's trail day at Bald Mountain North Unit. Weather is looking good -- but hot -- for tomorrow morning at 10am meeting at the small lot just south of the intersection of Harmon and Miller Roads.

Please bring a wheel barrow, shovels, and rakes if you have them. Also, bring water, bug spray, and stuff for working moving gravel and dirt for a few hours.

Facebook event is here, for those of you who like it: https://www.facebook.com/events/1626610474273623/

See you there!
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby lawn dart » July 18th, 2015, 5:56 pm

Trail Day at Bald Mountain North was hot, but there was still a great turnout.

The repair amounted to working out drainage for about a quarter acre of mucky bog. The soil was acting like a huge sponge and retaining moisture. The trail ran right through the middle of it and seemed to always be a gooey mess.

Years of old trail repairs and patches were first torn up and hauled away, revealing the extent of the goo and muck under the trail.

As the crew cut drainage ditches and placed drain tiles (Thanks, Paul!), free-flowing water appeared and began it's trek downhill, away from the trail; an obvious & positive sign that all the hard work was paying off.

A fresh trailbed of crushed limestone was hauled in and spread around to stabilize the soil; a BIG improvement over the slimy, slippery and decaying boards that had served as the trail before.

It will be very interesting to see how effective the drainage is. We're fairly confident that the soil will finally have a chance to firm up, and the trail will be safer, funner and faster for a long time.

Many thanks to c0nsumer and all who made today's big job go smoothly. It was a pleasure working with you.
It was hot, and there was serious labor involved, but everyone was a trooper!
lawn dart

Postby c0nsumer » July 20th, 2015, 7:29 am

lawn dart wrote:Trail Day at Bald Mountain North was hot, but there was still a great turnout.

The repair amounted to working out drainage for about a quarter acre of mucky bog. The soil was acting like a huge sponge and retaining moisture. The trail ran right through the middle of it and seemed to always be a gooey mess.

Years of old trail repairs and patches were first torn up and hauled away, revealing the extent of the goo and muck under the trail.

As the crew cut drainage ditches and placed drain tiles (Thanks, Paul!), free-flowing water appeared and began it's trek downhill, away from the trail; an obvious & positive sign that all the hard work was paying off.

A fresh trailbed of crushed limestone was hauled in and spread around to stabilize the soil; a BIG improvement over the slimy, slippery and decaying boards that had served as the trail before.

It will be very interesting to see how effective the drainage is. We're fairly confident that the soil will finally have a chance to firm up, and the trail will be safer, funner and faster for a long time.

Many thanks to c0nsumer and all who made today's big job go smoothly. It was a pleasure working with you.
It was hot, and there was serious labor involved, but everyone was a trooper!

Thanks for the great writeup, Dan! We got a ton done; fueled by those wonderfully tasty donuts and coffee. Mmm!
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member

c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby lawn dart » July 20th, 2015, 7:44 am

I walked the repaired area Sunday late-morning and it didn't seem all that impressive... until you remembered what it looked like before.

Judging from the tire tracks, at leased a dozen bikes had already ridden through, and the new trailbed was dry and firm; very encouraging.

Water was still slowly migrating through the drain tiles and down the hill to the creek. It may be too much to expect the whole hillside bog to dry out, but the fact that at least SOME moisture has been released will go a long way towards keeping the trail drier and more stable.

Again, great job from all who pitched in! :icon_thumleft:
And as far as bringing coffee & donuts... the pleasure was all mine! :mrgreen:
Last edited by lawn dart on July 20th, 2015, 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
lawn dart

Postby c0nsumer » July 20th, 2015, 7:48 am

lawn dart wrote:Water was still slowly migrating through the drain tiles and down the hill to the creek. It may be too much to expect the whole hillside bog to dry out, but the fact that at least SOME moisture has been released will go a long way towards keeping the trail drier and more stable.

After seeing what was under those old planks I was a bit worried, but my hope is that this area will dry out, remaining water going through (or at least along) the drain tiles / French drains, and worst case some small/narrow wet spots re-developing. I think the recent rains and presence of those boards holding the water in made it worse than it'll end up as...
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member

c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby lawn dart » July 20th, 2015, 8:13 am

c0nsumer wrote:I think the recent rains and presence of those boards holding the water in made it worse than it'll end up as...

I think you're spot-on about the old wood planking, Steve. It appeared to have almost been working as a dam -- holding the moisture back and exacerbating the boggy condition.

The repair may need a shovel-full of gravel from time-to-time as the line beds-in and 'fine-tuning' is required, and the fringes of the trail are still very soft, but I think there's little doubt that this is a much more environmentally-sympathetic segment of trail than it was before.
lawn dart

Postby procos » July 20th, 2015, 9:22 pm

Did 2 laps on the south loop today. Still about 6-8 pretty large mud holes. You can get around them and still stay on the trail pretty easily but would be nice if a way could be figured out how to dry them up. Also a big tree is down about 1/10 of a mile past the 14 marker. You have to dismount to get over it. It is at the bottom of a hill and is clearly visible so it shouldn't surprise anyone
procos

Postby Steve_Kinley » July 21st, 2015, 4:43 am

would be nice if a way could be figured out how to dry them up.

I was talking to the DNR last week and they mentioned that these areas between 3 and 4 would be one of the next areas to address.
Hammer Nutrition Endurance Fuels and Supplements
Save 15% off your first order by clicking the link below!
http://www.hammernutrition.com/affiliates/34155
http://www.miscabike.org
Steve_Kinley

Postby flamingo » July 22nd, 2015, 11:43 am

Thanks for all the work all the people who showed up for the trail day. I did not make it this time (family obligation). I have not ridden that trail for over a month now. Lake Orion High has become my "close to home" favorite now.
flamingo

Postby c0nsumer » July 22nd, 2015, 11:45 am

Rode North and South Unit this morning, both were in tip-top shape. There were muddy spots in South, but all of them were easily passable. The stuff we fixed up on Saturday was great; that section was just like the rest of the trail (albeit fresh looking). Just roll right on through...
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member

c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby Toy529 » August 1st, 2015, 2:30 pm

I have not rode north unit in years, enjoyed it today, no mud !
Toy529

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments