CRAMBA: Bald Mountain

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: Bald Mountain

Postby Rock N' Rolla » June 5th, 2013, 3:55 pm

Coming in off of lake Grg. on the North section the trail was fast, but could use a hair cutt soon. Plenty of growth to hide dog walkers and many fast slappers. Also, I'm not sure about the South sect. or LOHS or even Addison on the bug situation. They usually dont bother me but man.i stopped for just a few moments and my legs filled up with so many flying vampires thet i thought i was still wearing pants..lol. Deet up friend.. I have a feeling its gunna be a bug summer like 2011
Rock N' Rolla

Postby utabintarbo » June 6th, 2013, 6:47 am

Rock N' Rolla wrote:Coming in off of lake Grg. on the North section the trail was fast, but could use a hair cutt soon. Plenty of growth to hide dog walkers and many fast slappers. Also, I'm not sure about the South sect. or LOHS or even Addison on the bug situation. They usually dont bother me but man.i stopped for just a few moments and my legs filled up with so many flying vampires thet i thought i was still wearing pants..lol. Deet up friend.. I have a feeling its gunna be a bug summer like 2011

Re: Bug situation

I don't know why, but the bug situation is always noticeably better at Addison vs. BMN. It's like there's a force field across Lake George. Maybe someone installed an Invisible Fence. :P
utabintarbo

Postby chris_werth » June 9th, 2013, 8:18 pm

Connector off Conklin needs a bad haircut. Also, if the grass could get mowed, that would be sweet.
http://www.dubzbikesandboards.com

To "come back" would mean I've been somewhere.....not sure if I qualify. W.S 2013
chris_werth

Postby c0nsumer » June 9th, 2013, 8:24 pm

chris_werth wrote:Connector off Conklin needs a bad haircut. Also, if the grass could get mowed, that would be sweet.

When I was out there on Friday (I think -- maybe Saturday?) there was a DNR employee mowing the grass near the two halves of North Unit.
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby flamingo » June 12th, 2013, 8:55 am

Quite muddy last night after the rain the day before. Lots of face slappers. No broken trees thou.
flamingo

Postby lawn dart » June 18th, 2013, 8:28 pm

Rode the west loop this evening. It was in surprisingly good shape. The brush is starting to close in, but it's still not bad at all. No deadfall blocking the trail.
The sandy areas have been bedded down and firmed up by the rain. Many of the big gooey spots now have cool bypasses worked around them.
I forgot how fun that trail can be. When the growth is trimmed back It is wide enough to allow lots of line options.
lawn dart

Postby Sortaslow » June 20th, 2013, 11:04 pm

Bm north is just fine to ride. Few of the normal soft spots and horrid mosquitoes, so it's just like summer out there!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Sortaslow

Postby ihateplaindave » June 21st, 2013, 9:20 am

Anyone ever thought of some short boardwalks in those permanently wet areas? Or maybe a log 'bridge' like they had at Pontiac for a while.
ihateplaindave

Postby utabintarbo » June 21st, 2013, 10:20 am

ihateplaindave wrote:Anyone ever thought of some short boardwalks in those permanently wet areas? Or maybe a log 'bridge' like they had at Pontiac for a while.

We've thought about a lot of stuff out there. Getting approval is substantially more difficult than actually doing the work. :(
utabintarbo

Postby lawn dart » June 21st, 2013, 7:21 pm

Utabintarbo, on the east side of Harmon, just before the trail crosses a bridge over a creek, there is a stupid mini-bog with standing water (on the side of a hill?!) that really, really needs to be sorted out. My friend pinch-flatted on the edge of one of the random 2x6 boards thrown into the bog.

15 minutes with a shovel could re-route the water away from the trail and towards the creek, where it belongs.

I imagine it would create an issue if a bandit crew did some stealth trail repair in that area, but it is soo tempting...
lawn dart

Postby Steve_Kinley » June 21st, 2013, 7:41 pm

Is that the first bridge, right next to the road? It is wet year round right in front of the bridge but never standing water. If the last bridge by the lake, the area is sometimes backed up from the culvert getting blocked by beavers. In either spot I never saw lumber in front of the bridges. Not sure when that happened. The park should be notified and they "might" dispatch someone to take care of it.
Hammer Nutrition Endurance Fuels and Supplements
Save 15% off your first order by clicking the link below!
http://www.hammernutrition.com/affiliates/34155
http://www.miscabike.org
Steve_Kinley

Postby Rock N' Rolla » June 23rd, 2013, 7:16 am

Yeah, he is refering to that 2nd bridge( not the one behind the Ranger House)that runs North along Harmon. Its WAY muddy,and someone attempted to correct it with an unstable 2x4.I guess Im so used to riding the 9er, that on my 2nd lap on a 26er, yesterday, I almost went over the handlebars when my front wheel sank, where as I usually roll though... :D The bugs werent too bad either.
Rock N' Rolla

Postby lawn dart » June 23rd, 2013, 8:01 am

Yep, the bridge right next to Harmon road, about a 1/4 north of the parking area.

Most damp or gooey spots are "excusable"; you can see it is where water naturally wants to gather or flow. But the bog-ette just south of that bridge is curious; it is uphill from the creek, so it is not creek water causing the wetness. It is on a slope, so water is flowing from somewhere uphill and choosing to stop and party on the trail, rather than continuing downhill to the creek.

It seems like it would be so easy to fix. Just redirect the water towards the creek.

I enjoy a challenging bit of trail as much as the next guy, but not if it involves possible risk to rider or equipment.
lawn dart

Postby utabintarbo » June 23rd, 2013, 12:48 pm

I believe there is a "seep" in that area, as it is wet year-round in even the driest of years. Other than build an extended approach to the bridge there (unlikely to be approved), or finding the actual source of the water, I'm not sure what can be done there. FWIW, it's been that way for a very long time, with no action by the park to fix it.
utabintarbo

Postby MtnBikerMi » July 3rd, 2013, 10:10 am

Any been to the trail lately? Thinking of riding Stoney, going through Bald Mountain to Addison, just wondering if Bald Mountain is a swamp or not. Thanks.
MtnBikerMi

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments