CRAMBA: Bald Mountain

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Metro North: Bald Mountain

Postby timmay » March 23rd, 2010, 6:34 pm

regarding the usually wet (and lately underwater) section by the Ranger's house(E. Graham Lk.)-last fall is was pretty impassable and it sounds like it still is. Is this a result of Beaver dam activity? Does the DNR get involved at some point to OK a reroute if this condition continues to exist? I know you can cut out to Predmore and bypass it...this is a great trail that needs a little love.
timmay

Postby bh357 » March 23rd, 2010, 8:55 pm

stealthfish wrote:The section east of Harmon road is good till you get close to the lake (it's under water) and in terrible shape. The lake level must be up more than a foot.

That section seems to be wet more than it is dry. Just take the spur from 16 to 17 out to Predmore, and ride Predmore west to the main trailhead at Predmore and Harmon.
www.teamsandbag.com
www.mysinglespeed.com

"He didn't have to be drunk to be an a$$hole!" - Geff
bh357

Postby utabintarbo » March 24th, 2010, 6:50 am

bh357 wrote:
stealthfish wrote:The section east of Harmon road is good till you get close to the lake (it's under water) and in terrible shape. The lake level must be up more than a foot.

That section seems to be wet more than it is dry. Just take the spur from 16 to 17 out to Predmore, and ride Predmore west to the main trailhead at Predmore and Harmon.

You can usually get back on the trail off the boat ramp road. No need to go all the way back to Harmon.
Addison Oaks TC

Current quiver

Impulse control fails me. ;)
utabintarbo

Postby dmphoto » March 24th, 2010, 8:19 am

This section, between the bridge and the boat launch road, has always been in poor condition. Even when it's dry, the wood platforms seem to just lay on the surface without purpose so many ride around them which has widened the trail.
Would it be prudent to add a sign at the spur that would direct 'traffic out to Predmore and to discourage any attempts to ride this area and cause further damage. "Bike traffic this way, do not ride". That section isn't much more exciting than the road anyhow! :)
Just a thought.
Dave
dmphoto

Postby utabintarbo » April 1st, 2010, 9:00 am

Amy news on the trail *other than by the ranger's house*? Is the beaver dam area (Carpenter Lake loop) back under water? What about the section directly after the lake?

Looking to ride Friday. :D
Addison Oaks TC

Current quiver

utabintarbo

Postby fattyclark » April 1st, 2010, 11:06 am

utabintarbo wrote:Amy news on the trail *other than by the ranger's house*? Is the beaver dam area (Carpenter Lake loop) back under water? What about the section directly after the lake?

Looking to ride Friday. :D

Amy news?Whats that? :P
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity
Out in Michigan
River Raisin Guide Service
fattyclark

Postby Rock N' Rolla » April 1st, 2010, 11:35 am

Hi,
I'm new to this trail and NW Oakland County. I road Bald Mt. yesterday. There seems to be a Noth and a South trail. But I can only find any real feed back/maps on the North Unit. Is there a trail that runs to the South unit or is that area not really worth riding?
Rock N' Rolla

Postby c0nsumer » April 1st, 2010, 11:51 am

Rock N' Rolla wrote:Hi,
I'm new to this trail and NW Oakland County. I road Bald Mt. yesterday. There seems to be a Noth and a South trail. But I can only find any real feed back/maps on the North Unit. Is there a trail that runs to the South unit or is that area not really worth riding?

South Unit is worth riding as well, and has the excellent Lake Orion High School trails connecting to it. You'll need to use roads to connect the two parks, but it's not a difficult nor unsafe route.
Steve Vigneau

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby Steve_Kinley » April 1st, 2010, 12:13 pm

South Unit is worth riding as well, and has the excellent Lake Orion High School trails connecting to it.

Normally the south unit stays wetter longer than the north but this spring it has dried up earlier than usual. this link has a map of both units but it is not as good as their older trail maps. I'm not sure if they are still available at the ranger station on Greenshield. http://www.dnr.state.mi.us/publications ... in_map.pdf

The LOHS trails mentioned earlier are not marked, neither the entrance/exits to them from Bald Mountain nor the trails themselves. If you want a tour or how to connect them all feel free to PM or email me. I live literally three minutes away by bike from the south unit and school.
Last edited by Steve_Kinley on April 2nd, 2010, 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hammer Nutrition Endurance Fuels and Supplements
Save 15% off your first order by clicking the link below!
http://www.hammernutrition.com/affiliates/34155
http://www.miscabike.org
Steve_Kinley

Postby c0nsumer » April 2nd, 2010, 7:33 pm

North Unit is absolutely great, with everything pretty much dry save for the underwater section along Predmore, and a wee bit of mud after the big parking area.
Steve Vigneau

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby Roy » April 3rd, 2010, 5:58 am

North trail: to avoid the wet area behind the old ranger house you can exit the trail at the out house. (about 200 feet from the road)
There is another possible option. The main trail and spur trail (from the small parking lot ) are only about 400 to 500 feet apart at the last turn before the wood bridge. From that turn, head straight east 500 feet. Connecting the trails would allow you to ride the full down hill and avoid the mud during wet seasons. Just check it out on the satellite view.

Roy
Roy

Postby utabintarbo » April 3rd, 2010, 2:05 pm

There are trees down in 2 places: On the spur between #19 & #2, totally passable; and shortly after #3, heading towards #4, this requires a chainsaw. It's pretty huge.

Overall the trail was in very good shape. Some deadfall, and a few soft spots towards Lake George.
Addison Oaks TC

Current quiver

utabintarbo

Postby jalopy jockey » April 4th, 2010, 10:53 am

What is the best way to get to the south unit from the PCT? I'm thinking of doing a major ride tomorrow.

Thinking Bald mountain north and south (uncuding LOHS if I can find em), Addison, Stony and the dry parts of bloomer. and a bit of road.

And no I don't want to walk on Tuesday.
I guess I'm lacking mental clarity because I don't smoke pot. " - Di Bear
jalopy jockey

Postby Rock N' Rolla » April 4th, 2010, 1:21 pm

I did the all 3 loops of the north unit this moring 'round 11:30a. I guess the wind from last night took out several trees on the trail. Friday I was out there with my son and only the one on the Blue trail past #3, and I think another past #16 in the orange loop were down then Today, I counted 6 downed trees. I moved what I could out of the way. Another is on the the bottom of the trail as it curves around#7. Be careful! I was fly'n through there and all I could do was brace for impact... luckily I did clear it. Are there any plans for a trail day out there? Who clears the trees?The park peeps or can any one roll in there with a saw? I'm new to this, an wouldn't mind donating some sweat for the upkeep on the trails I use.
Rock N' Rolla

Postby Steve_Kinley » April 4th, 2010, 1:58 pm

RnR - Trails are maintained generally by the DNR and a trail fairy or two. :wink: We are allowed to use hand tools but no power tools.

JJ - From the Clarkston/Kern intersection head south on Kern. The trail entrances will be down a mile or so on the right but not official trail heads. The first will be at the top of a hill where there is a green gate across a dirt road, the entrance to the primitive camping area. Take that road and when the road empties out into the field the trail connects and most people go right, following the trail in a clockwise direction. If you miss the gate at the bottom of the hill on a curve is another trail leading in. Again follow it to the main trail and turn right. If you are out in the area after 3:30 I can show you around and how to connect the LOHS trails.

BTW, this afternoon I hooked up the LOHS and Bald Mountain South trails in such a way to make an 11.25 mile loop. Fast, slow, tight, wide open, technical, easy, uphill, downhill; it has it all.
Hammer Nutrition Endurance Fuels and Supplements
Save 15% off your first order by clicking the link below!
http://www.hammernutrition.com/affiliates/34155
http://www.miscabike.org
Steve_Kinley

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions