CRAMBA: Bald Mountain

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: Bald Mountain

Postby Ricky Billy » January 15th, 2013, 4:04 pm

anyone know the conditions at Bald Mtn N & S after the thaw and refreeze? is it regular 29er tire rideable or is it an icy moonscape of footprints and ruts? hoping to night ride this week or on the weekend.


Ditto id like to ride sat morning
Shake - N - bake!! Shut your d*mn hole chip!!!
User avatar
Ricky Billy
 
Posts: 108
Joined: May 2nd, 2011, 1:10 pm
Location: Royal Oak

Re: CRAMBA: Bald Mountain

Postby Steve_Kinley » January 15th, 2013, 5:33 pm

Just finished a ride of LOHS and BMS. The ground is mainly frozen but the open areas of bare dirt at LOHS was a little soft until late afternoon when it started to refreeze. No snow there.

Bald Mountain South is also snow free and frozen dirt, not really any frozen footprints either. While studded tires aren't necessary you do need to keep an eye on the surface as it has a few glazed over sections. Be mindful of that in the corners. I imagine the north unit is similar.

Even in below freezing temps the surface will thaw and get greasy if the sun comes out.
Hammer Nutrition Endurance Fuels and Supplements
Save 15% off your first order by clicking the link below!
http://www.hammernutrition.com/affiliates/34155
http://www.miscabike.org
Steve_Kinley
 
Posts: 2981
Joined: June 20th, 2002, 3:35 pm

Re: CRAMBA: Bald Mountain

Postby flamingo » January 18th, 2013, 11:49 pm

Did the first ride of the year in the North Unit. The trail was rock frozen and mostly cleared of snow or ice. There were only few ice patches. A big tree down around 5 mile. Otherwise uneventful night ride in windy conditions. I was surprised to find 2 cars on the parking lot. I miss riding in daylight.
User avatar
flamingo
 
Posts: 506
Joined: May 12th, 2009, 8:51 am
Location: Oxford, MI

Re: CRAMBA: Bald Mountain

Postby Steve_Kinley » January 20th, 2013, 12:42 pm

Similar to other trail reports this morning, the south unit has trees down after the wind last night and today. About 5-6 that I couldn't ride under/over.
Hammer Nutrition Endurance Fuels and Supplements
Save 15% off your first order by clicking the link below!
http://www.hammernutrition.com/affiliates/34155
http://www.miscabike.org
Steve_Kinley
 
Posts: 2981
Joined: June 20th, 2002, 3:35 pm

Re: CRAMBA: Bald Mountain

Postby Steve_Kinley » February 16th, 2013, 11:29 am

As is to be expected, the south unit is pretty much all ice and frozen footprints. It is ridable with studded tires but bumpy.
Hammer Nutrition Endurance Fuels and Supplements
Save 15% off your first order by clicking the link below!
http://www.hammernutrition.com/affiliates/34155
http://www.miscabike.org
Steve_Kinley
 
Posts: 2981
Joined: June 20th, 2002, 3:35 pm

Re: CRAMBA: Bald Mountain

Postby flamingo » March 13th, 2013, 4:31 pm

Rode on Drahner road and Lake Geroge to Bald Mountain last sunday. Stepped into the northern section of the trail to check out the conditions. Looks like the spring thaw is still weeks away.

Image
User avatar
flamingo
 
Posts: 506
Joined: May 12th, 2009, 8:51 am
Location: Oxford, MI

Re: CRAMBA: Bald Mountain

Postby flamingo » April 15th, 2013, 11:08 am

Anybody has ridden on it yet this spring. I wonder what are the conditions.
User avatar
flamingo
 
Posts: 506
Joined: May 12th, 2009, 8:51 am
Location: Oxford, MI

Re: CRAMBA: Bald Mountain

Postby flamingo » April 22nd, 2013, 9:04 am

Did my first spring ride early evening last night. In few words. It is still one giant mud bath. Even in the areas that are normally dry, there is mud. I would say avoid for at least 2 weeks if there is no rain. On top of that there is a massive dead tree that broken into pieces on the southern loop around 1.5 mile. It looks like a human setup barricade. It will take few people to clear it out. After the bridge (the end of northern loop) the usual muddy area. It is not mud. It is a pond about 20 yards long. People have already started doing a bypass in the higher area around it. That bypass could actually be good to reroute the trail. The entrance right after the parking lot is also very muddy. I was wondering would it be possible to setup a trail day and build a little "bridge" over that area. Last year it was muddy almost all year long. Since I ride the trail a lot I would be willing to pitch some $$$ for the wood. I don't have much building expertise thou.
User avatar
flamingo
 
Posts: 506
Joined: May 12th, 2009, 8:51 am
Location: Oxford, MI

Re: CRAMBA: Bald Mountain

Postby Sortaslow » April 22nd, 2013, 6:35 pm

I think it's a dnr thing and we don't do trail work there? Not sure.
User avatar
Sortaslow
 
Posts: 1643
Joined: April 22nd, 2009, 5:38 pm
Location: Clinton Township

Re: CRAMBA: Bald Mountain

Postby utabintarbo » April 22nd, 2013, 7:08 pm

Sortaslow wrote:I think it's a dnr thing and we don't do trail work there? Not sure.


Partially true. We have much less freedom there than in most other parks. Many of the improvements that have shown up there have been (relatively high-quality) semi-bandit operations, but have either been ripped out by the DNR or by ...others. Of all the parks I have been to, there seems to be more hiker->biker animosity there than anywhere else, to the point of sabotage.

As it is, most of what we do is trim and inform the DNR about downed trees. :P
User avatar
utabintarbo
 
Posts: 5750
Joined: June 21st, 2007, 12:29 pm

Re: CRAMBA: Bald Mountain

Postby Sortaslow » April 22nd, 2013, 7:38 pm

utabintarbo wrote:
Sortaslow wrote:I think it's a dnr thing and we don't do trail work there? Not sure.


Partially true. We have much less freedom there than in most other parks. Many of the improvements that have shown up there have been (relatively high-quality) semi-bandit operations, but have either been ripped out by the DNR or by ...others. Of all the parks I have been to, there seems to be more hiker->biker animosity there than anywhere else, to the point of sabotage.

As it is, most of what we do is trim and inform the DNR about downed trees. :P

Unfortunate to hear. This park shows the neglect of good quality trail work.
User avatar
Sortaslow
 
Posts: 1643
Joined: April 22nd, 2009, 5:38 pm
Location: Clinton Township

Re: CRAMBA: Bald Mountain

Postby c0nsumer » April 22nd, 2013, 7:49 pm

Sortaslow wrote:
utabintarbo wrote:
Sortaslow wrote:I think it's a dnr thing and we don't do trail work there? Not sure.


Partially true. We have much less freedom there than in most other parks. Many of the improvements that have shown up there have been (relatively high-quality) semi-bandit operations, but have either been ripped out by the DNR or by ...others. Of all the parks I have been to, there seems to be more hiker->biker animosity there than anywhere else, to the point of sabotage.

As it is, most of what we do is trim and inform the DNR about downed trees. :P

Unfortunate to hear. This park shows the neglect of good quality trail work.


It's also very old school trail design.
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
User avatar
c0nsumer
Administrator
 
Posts: 8858
Joined: May 18th, 2008, 11:35 am
Location: Shelby Township, MI

Re: CRAMBA: Bald Mountain

Postby urbaindk » May 1st, 2013, 1:09 pm

I just happened to drive by Bald Mtn Saturday. It looked to me (from the road) that the lake was very high. I suspect a good portion of the trail is underwater (behind the ranger station area). It was practically up to the road in some spots. I also walked some of the connector trail in / near Cranberry lake. It too was mostly underwater, to the point where just to get on the nice foot new bridges they built you had to wade in pretty far, rendering the bridges essentially useless.
User avatar
urbaindk
 
Posts: 499
Joined: April 23rd, 2009, 12:25 pm

Re: CRAMBA: Bald Mountain

Postby mmba7614 » May 1st, 2013, 1:22 pm

urbaindk wrote:I just happened to drive by Bald Mtn Saturday. It looked to me (from the road) that the lake was very high. I suspect a good portion of the trail is underwater (behind the ranger station area). It was practically up to the road in some spots. I also walked some of the connector trail in / near Cranberry lake. It too was mostly underwater, to the point where just to get on the nice foot new bridges they built you had to wade in pretty far, rendering the bridges essentially useless.

I am unfamiliar with Bald Mtn, except for some understanding that there is a "South" area near LOHS, and a "North" section closer to Addison. I (think I) have a ridden most of the North section, as part of the Grampian race. It seems (from maps) that the South would be more prone to flooding. (totally could be wrong here).
Anyways ... long form way of asking if you are talking about the South or North area. I was hoping to come out and ride the North next week, but sounds like I may need to put that off!!

Thanks,
mmba7614
 
Posts: 148
Joined: November 15th, 2005, 1:54 am

Re: CRAMBA: Bald Mountain

Postby Sortaslow » May 1st, 2013, 3:00 pm

North.
User avatar
Sortaslow
 
Posts: 1643
Joined: April 22nd, 2009, 5:38 pm
Location: Clinton Township

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests