CRAMBA: Bald Mountain

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: Bald Mountain

Postby Spokes » September 15th, 2012, 11:32 am

Forgot hunting season started so it was a huge surprise to come around a corner and there is 6 dudes pointing guns down the trail in my direction. Finished the first loop and got out of there. Ran across a few other hunters along the way and heard many shots being fired. Have to move to some parks that don't allow hunting all year. Trail was in good condition though. Good luck if your going.......
Spokes

Postby utabintarbo » September 15th, 2012, 1:27 pm

Spokes wrote:Forgot hunting season started so it was a huge surprise to come around a corner and there is 6 dudes pointing guns down the trail in my direction. Finished the first loop and got out of there. Ran across a few other hunters along the way and heard many shots being fired. Have to move to some parks that don't allow hunting all year. Trail was in good condition though. Good luck if your going.......

Yes, small game started out there September 1st. Buy a cheap orange vest from Meijers (or whatever), and wear it when you ride. FWIW, I have been riding out there for years, and have never had a problem. And the trail is at its best in the Fall. Don't let the hunting keep you away!
utabintarbo

Postby utabintarbo » September 24th, 2012, 11:00 am

I have a solid report (Thanks gs46!) that the Conklin Rd. Connector (used during Massive Fallout) is very overgrown. If anyone can get out there in the next few weeks to hack that back a bit, many people will be greatly appreciative. :icon_thumleft:
utabintarbo

Postby Jayers » September 24th, 2012, 1:00 pm

Rode the upper loop of the the North Unit (limited time to ride), but trail was perfect except for the previously mentioned weeping puddle by Miller road. My front wheel missed the little bridge and i got stuck, and then very muddy.

Once the leaves start to turn it's going to be beautiful riding out there.
Jayers

Postby Roy » September 25th, 2012, 6:20 pm

I was using a DNR on line hunting map and came across a spur trail off the current bike trail that parallels Lake George Rd. and leads to the north east corner where Addison Oaks starts. This old trail is located about 350 feet west of Lake George rd. This spur trail exits the bike trail about 300 feet before the turn back down hill to the lakes.
map at http://www.mcgi.state.mi.us/mi-hunt/

Question???
Could that old DNR trail spur be reopened ??
Reopening that trail would make the transition into Addison Oaks new entrance a lot more fun and a lot safer!

Roy
Roy

Postby jalopy jockey » September 26th, 2012, 12:27 pm

Roy wrote:I was using a DNR on line hunting map and came across a spur trail off the current bike trail that parallels Lake George Rd. and leads to the north east corner where Addison Oaks starts. This old trail is located about 350 feet west of Lake George rd. This spur trail exits the bike trail about 300 feet before the turn back down hill to the lakes.
map at http://www.mcgi.state.mi.us/mi-hunt/

Question???
Could that old DNR trail spur be reopened ??
Reopening that trail would make the transition into Addison Oaks new entrance a lot more fun and a lot safer!

Roy

How much of lake george road would it save over the parking area shown near post 12?
http://www.michigandnr.com/Publications ... trails.pdf

Map of the route between the two parks in the near future.
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Lake ... sz=15&z=15

Less than a mile along Lake George road between the parks really has me concerned for my safety.

That said your link doesn't link to anything useful. It is a general link to the state, when I zoom into BMN it doesn't have any trails on it just a shaded area for the park.
I guess I'm lacking mental clarity because I don't smoke pot. " - Di Bear
jalopy jockey

Postby Steve_Kinley » September 26th, 2012, 12:42 pm

You need to switch to the topo view to see the trails. There a lot of old trails shown on the map, I couldn't find what the dates were for the quadrants they show but many of the old trails probably remain from one version to the next. I know the one in question and it is overgrown and with downed trees. Quite a few of the other trails on there are as well. But they are neat to explore and sometimes you find a hidden gem 8)
Hammer Nutrition Endurance Fuels and Supplements
Save 15% off your first order by clicking the link below!
http://www.hammernutrition.com/affiliates/34155
http://www.miscabike.org
Steve_Kinley

Postby c0nsumer » September 28th, 2012, 8:57 am

Do any of you have a preferred loop in Bald Mountain South Unit? I've been finding myself there recently and I like it for some fast riding, but being two-way there's a lot of options out there. Is there a particular route/direction you all are fond of?
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby gs46 » October 7th, 2012, 10:18 am

The Conklin Rd. connector to the blue trail is open but tight in areas, also some low branches to watch out for, but it is open.
You can make me grow old, which you obviously did, but you can't make me grow up!

Trek 4300
Cannondale Quick CX1
gs46

Postby utabintarbo » October 7th, 2012, 2:45 pm

gs46 wrote:The Conklin Rd. connector to the blue trail is open but tight in areas, also some low branches to watch out for, but it is open.

Thanks! :D
utabintarbo

Postby Ricky Billy » December 17th, 2012, 8:09 am

Rode Saturday around noon. The trail was slimmy but not enough to leave ruts. any warmer would have been a different story.
Shake - N - bake!! Shut your d*mn hole chip!!!
Ricky Billy

Postby flamingo » December 22nd, 2012, 11:19 pm

Just had a night ride at the North Unit. The trail is starting to freeze nicely. Only couple softish usual spots. By tomorrow I am sure they will be rock solid. The snow cover is minimal, so the trail just feels normal, maybe a bit slippery. There is a couple trees down on the later downhill part of the north section.
flamingo

Postby Fastone53 » December 25th, 2012, 3:06 pm

It was in great shape yesterday and today. There was a bit more snow from last night. Saw a few walkers but no other bikes.

Ohio Ed
Fastone53

Postby Steve_Kinley » December 28th, 2012, 1:22 pm

I was able to ride 100% of Bald Mountain South on the SS 29'er with 2.4 tires at low pressure without too much of a problem. A fat bike would have rocked it through. Once the snowmobiles can pack it down a little more at warmer temps it should be much better.
Hammer Nutrition Endurance Fuels and Supplements
Save 15% off your first order by clicking the link below!
http://www.hammernutrition.com/affiliates/34155
http://www.miscabike.org
Steve_Kinley

Postby honkonbobo » January 15th, 2013, 2:17 pm

anyone know the conditions at Bald Mtn N & S after the thaw and refreeze? is it regular 29er tire rideable or is it an icy moonscape of footprints and ruts? hoping to night ride this week or on the weekend.
honkonbobo

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments