CRAMBA: Bald Mountain

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Metro North: Bald Mountain

Postby PK » July 30th, 2009, 8:46 pm

Did you notice the biting flies today? They were kinda thick around Noon.

Just thinking, I wonder if you zoom in REAL close in the photo of the awesome bridge, I bet you can see the signature of the builder.....
..Yep... There it is.....
P...
A..
U...
L...
:o)
That's all I can make out. Can you figure out the rest?
(Just a guess)

Pete
PK

Postby c0nsumer » July 30th, 2009, 9:07 pm

PK wrote:Did you notice the biting flies today? They were kinda thick around Noon.

Just thinking, I wonder if you zoom in REAL close in the photo of the awesome bridge, I bet you can see the signature of the builder.....
..Yep... There it is.....
P...
A..
U...
L...
:o)
That's all I can make out. Can you figure out the rest?
(Just a guess)

Pete

Now I'm going to have to go back and look. Oh darn.

Yes, the flies were around, but I thought the mosquitos were particularly bad. Normally I don't mind them, but when I stopped to eat some stuff at the top of one hill in the blue loop there were three or four at a time on each limb, and a swarm on and around my face. Normally I don't like bug spray, but I think I'll be making an exception next time.
Steve Vigneau

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby Steve_Kinley » July 31st, 2009, 5:48 am

I trimmed back a long stretch of the south unit yesterday, the section that parallels Greenshield and past the turnoff to the gun range. It was getting to the point you couldn't ride without getting scratched up. If you are out there and want to ride the LOHS trails, just follow the orange arrows on the ground. They will direct you into and around the trails on school property.
Hammer Nutrition Endurance Fuels and Supplements
Save 15% off your first order by clicking the link below!
http://www.hammernutrition.com/affiliates/34155
http://www.miscabike.org
Steve_Kinley

Postby utabintarbo » August 1st, 2009, 7:39 pm

Rode about all the North Unit trails today. Still some damp spots, but they are totally rideable. More likely you will have trouble with sand. Trail has obviously received some love. Excellent!
utabintarbo

Postby Sancho » August 3rd, 2009, 8:51 am

The LOHS trails are pretty sweet, very impressed with whats back there. The orange arrows certainly make finding the way nice and easy, although there are a few sections that could flow a little better.
Sancho

Postby Steve_Kinley » August 3rd, 2009, 9:42 am

The LOHS trails are pretty sweet, very impressed with whats back there. The orange arrows certainly make finding the way nice and easy, although there are a few sections that could flow a little better.

Yeah, there are a few areas I may tweak but I am limited by the topography and wet areas. Preriding the course is a good idea as some of the corners are a lot easier if you know what is around the bend. :twisted: There are a few more sections of singletrack that I want to put in for next year.
Steve_Kinley

Postby Sancho » August 3rd, 2009, 12:53 pm

Only "oh *beep*' moment was really on the short loop near the high ropes course thats a somewhat quick switchback down a hill. Though i was going for a spill at the bottom there, of course knowledge of the course would make it much better as well. All in all I think I'll be riding there a lot more, its close for me and its much nicer variety than some of the other local stuff at the south unit anyhow.
Sancho

Postby Steve_Kinley » August 3rd, 2009, 3:18 pm

Only "oh *beep*' moment was really on the short loop near the high ropes course thats a somewhat quick switchback down a hill.

Yup, that's the main one that will catch you. :shock: The other one is just before that where you bomb down the hill and then make a sharp right, but at least you have the hill to turn on.

The one with the flat turn at the bottom may get some attention before the race; if we can get a tree cut out the trail will be extended at the bottom instead of making that 180 turn.
Steve_Kinley

Postby Sortaslow » August 3rd, 2009, 9:24 pm

Nice job on the trail work and the new bridge.

Too bad for the shotgun blast on so many of the trail markers and maps.
My favorite was last fall... I think post 6 or 5 was removed and re-inserted but facing he wrong way. People being funny. No big deal as it's a short trail, but it did screw me up as it was only my second time there.
Sortaslow

Postby Steve_Kinley » August 12th, 2009, 4:56 pm

The south unit was surprisingly dry this afternoon, especially given the size of the lakes we rode through during Saturday's race. Just a few damp spots that should be completely dry by the weekend.

The LOHS trails are 100% dry. One tree top that is down in a corner; hopefully we can get it removed in the next few days.
Steve_Kinley

Postby utabintarbo » August 16th, 2009, 12:53 pm

Big tree down across the first big bridge E. of Harmon. Chain saw will likely be needed.

There are also a lot of low hangers on the connector from 19 to 2, between Predmore & Harmon.
utabintarbo

Postby Sortaslow » August 16th, 2009, 8:53 pm

Steve_Kinley wrote:The south unit was surprisingly dry this afternoon, especially given the size of the lakes we rode through during Saturday's race. Just a few damp spots that should be completely dry by the weekend.

The LOHS trails are 100% dry. One tree top that is down in a corner; hopefully we can get it removed in the next few days.

Probably obvious and not getting it, but what are the LOHS trails?
Sortaslow

Postby utabintarbo » August 17th, 2009, 5:21 am

Sortaslow wrote:
Steve_Kinley wrote:The LOHS trails are 100% dry. One tree top that is down in a corner; hopefully we can get it removed in the next few days.

Probably obvious and not getting it, but what are the LOHS trails?

The Lake Orion High School trails, where we occasionally have races. They connect to Bald Mtn. south.
utabintarbo

Postby UnderDog1 » August 17th, 2009, 11:46 am

FYI - there's a large tree that is down and partially blocking the bridge that skirts harmon rd at the bald mt. north unit. it will most likely need somebody w/ a chain saw. i almost decapitated myself so hopfully it gets taken care of soon, because somebody will get hurt if they're not on their game coming through there.

TiM
UnderDog1

Postby Pauly » August 17th, 2009, 5:46 pm

I didn't check the web sight before I went out there Sunday afternoon . The two trees in the connector of Conklin Rd. have been removed , I will try and get out there and get the other one soon .
Pauly

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions