CRAMBA: Bald Mountain

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: Bald Mountain

Postby D-15 » July 4th, 2012, 10:22 am

AVIOID. North unit orange loop. it's a tree massacre out there. It is nearly impassible on a bike on the backside after the lake heading from harmon to lake george. There is also a tree down at the turn around point at lake George. Tired of throwing my bike over branches or dragging it under I bailed out at the lake George parking lot so I don't know what the front side of the orange loop looks like. The white and blue loops by tamarac cabins are fine however.
D-15

Postby Jayers » July 4th, 2012, 1:48 pm

D-15 wrote:AVIOID. North unit orange loop. it's a tree massacre out there. It is nearly impassible on a bike on the backside after the lake heading from harmon to lake george. There is also a tree down at the turn around point at lake George. Tired of throwing my bike over branches or dragging it under I bailed out at the lake George parking lot so I don't know what the front side of the orange loop looks like. The white and blue loops by tamarac cabins are fine however.

Yesterday's storm must have blitzed it. Hopefully the park will get out there soon. Have they done any trail maintenance this summer? Feel like I'm seeing a lot of complaints about conditions. Due to my lucky broken fibula I haven't been out there since May.
Jayers

Postby Steve_Kinley » July 4th, 2012, 5:21 pm

They have mowed and trimmed in the south unit. Rode half of it today and there were no problems, not even any mud. A few of the pricker vines are starting to hang over in spots that weren't there on Sunday. Probably due to the rains.
Hammer Nutrition Endurance Fuels and Supplements
Save 15% off your first order by clicking the link below!
http://www.hammernutrition.com/affiliates/34155
http://www.miscabike.org
Steve_Kinley

Postby jlsalani » July 7th, 2012, 4:38 pm

I ran a little on Bald Mountain north right off of Lake George...... I know first question you're going to ask is if I forgot my bike!, but it looks like a bomb went off, there were 4 trees down within the first mile. Does the DNR care if anyone goes back there and starts to clear it out for them?? Thinking about taking my kid back there for a couple hours tomorrow and clear out some of the downed stuff.
jlsalani

Postby PK » July 7th, 2012, 4:59 pm

This is by no means an "Approval" but usually you're welcome to use your own sweat and hand tools to clear the trails.
Power tools like chainsaws are almost NEVER allowed without approval and that approval is very unlikely...
As far as I'm concerned, Thank you for any work done to help clear the trails. It's basically a thankless job and if done right, nobody even knows you've done anything.

Thanks again,
Pete.
PK

Postby jlsalani » July 7th, 2012, 5:04 pm

Pete - most of the trees will require the use of a chainsaw??? they will not allow this??.... but you did use the term"almost"... :)
jlsalani

Postby PK » July 7th, 2012, 5:26 pm

I know that a couple of people have created relationships with various parks and they are allowed to use chainsaws at those parks. That relationship takes time and sometimes, part-time employment is involved.
I don't know who the land manager of Bald mountain is, but even if I did, I would expect that a relationship would have to be created first. Chain saw certification of some type would be helpful.
The ability to use our own chainsaws on our CRAMBA trails is something that many of us have been trying to get approved for years, but you have to understand their side of the story.
Suffice it to say, most of us don't follow ALL the safety precautions that we should.
For example, the crew in Stony Creek that cleared the blow-downs a couple of years ago were wearing Steel-toed boots, Chaps, Face shielding, hard hats, and ear muffs. They also required a second adult for every saw operator...

A sharp bow saw might be in order. Even if you can't clear the big limbs or main trunk, clearing all the little stuff is still helpful.. That way, the chainsaw crew can work faster....

Pete.
PK

Re: Bald Mtn. North Unit updates

Postby Cerget » July 8th, 2012, 6:42 am

Rode through Bald mountain yesterday afternoon. The feeder trail off of of Conklin was pretty grown in, although half of it was cut the other half was pretty bad. The trail was in good shape until about marker #10 and then there were 4 trees down between #10 - #12. I bailed at #12 as I saw another tree down after #12 and rode Lake George down to Premore and over to Addison oak. By the way, Addison was in great shape. The deer flies were also out in Bald mountain, so beware, these suckers have mad handling skills as they can keep right up with you while your riding.
Cerget

Postby c0nsumer » July 8th, 2012, 9:16 am

Bald Mountain is in bad shape right now. From markers 7 to 12 on the yellow loop there were at least four serious trees down, with another at the start of the downhill just past 12. After this point our group skipped out and headed out to dirt roads. The Conklin Road Connector is also seriously overgrown. While it's passable without dismounting, the amount of rose canes growing over the trail will leave one bleeding. Here is a photo from yesterday after we climbed through one of the worst trees, which is located right at the bottom of a fast, flowing downhill. These will need chainsaws to clear.
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby Steve_Kinley » July 8th, 2012, 11:51 am

The Conklin Road Connector is also seriously overgrown. While it's passable without dismounting, the amount of rose canes growing over the trail will leave one bleeding.

Remember that this trail is not an official DNR path, even though it is widely used to access the north unit. Maintenance on this section must be done by the trail fairies.

The south unit has been pretty well maintained, including mowing and trimming. It is also right outside the park office so it may get first assignments. I would ride the south unit and hook up with the LOHS trail. It is closer to the PCT than Addison.
Hammer Nutrition Endurance Fuels and Supplements
Save 15% off your first order by clicking the link below!
http://www.hammernutrition.com/affiliates/34155
http://www.miscabike.org
Steve_Kinley

Postby bmiller » July 18th, 2012, 7:29 am

I did a night ride on the North loop last night and all is clear-including my trail connector off of Bald Mountain Road. I ride a lot and have to say that last night was one of my favorite rides of the year. I live on the south side of Bald South and I usually ride through south and up Kern to north and or to Addison Oaks. Tons of fun last night. Bald is in great shape.
bmiller

Postby jlsalani » July 22nd, 2012, 8:55 pm

hat's off to whoever cleared bald mountain.... i rode there yesterday and ran the trail today. except for the sand, which is to be expected anyway, it was perfect.
jlsalani

Postby c0nsumer » July 22nd, 2012, 9:42 pm

jlsalani wrote:hat's off to whoever cleared bald mountain.... i rode there yesterday and ran the trail today. except for the sand, which is to be expected anyway, it was perfect.

Was the Conklin Road Connector cleared yet?
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby Rock N' Rolla » July 25th, 2012, 6:56 pm

So,I was hauling down the trail from the Lake George entrance and loving the nice clean trim it had gotten recently and after thet bridge behind the rangers house someone had piled up a whole pallet and some loose boards. ... IDK if those boards "fell" from the pile up by the tree, or if some TOOL layed them down across the trail, but I was going too fast to stop and My front wheel ended up hitting the "dip" benieth the wood pile and stopped me , sending me flyin' now it's bent! Luckily , I have my Velocity's as backup. Has there been any Trail Nazi disturbances out there , or did I just happen upon some unfinished a park maint. ?
Rock N' Rolla

Postby Spokes » July 29th, 2012, 9:56 pm

I just finished my ride this morning around 11:30am and there was several Oakland County Sheriff's driving around looking for something. Anyone have any info on what they were doing out there? I have been riding out here for almost 15 years and have never seen anything like that. I normally see a Sheriff do the drive through but not like that.

Trail condition was good, just a few slick rocks on the trail this morning.
Spokes

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments