CRAMBA: Bald Mountain

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Metro North: Bald Mountain

Postby Steve_Kinley » July 1st, 2009, 11:52 am

Yup, that was the south unit. The north unit is off of Harmon and Predmore.

That downhill sounds like the one that is heading east along the back of the gun range fence and dumps you out on to Kern Rd,, north of the range. I haven't ridden it in a while.

There really isn't a main trailhead for the south unit but where you parked is the closest thing that would qualify, the western most parking area on Greenshield. It gets the heaviest traffic.
Hammer Nutrition Endurance Fuels and Supplements
Save 15% off your first order by clicking the link below!
http://www.hammernutrition.com/affiliates/34155
http://www.miscabike.org
Steve_Kinley

Postby bh357 » July 3rd, 2009, 3:53 pm

North unit: lots of muddy spots on the trail west of Harmon. Numerous face slappers on the white loop. Orange loop was a bit better wrt. mud, but was still greasy in areas. I didn't even bother with the stretch that parallels Predmore.
bh357

Postby Steve_Kinley » July 3rd, 2009, 9:23 pm

I didn't even bother with the stretch that parallels Predmore.

I rode it this afternoon, mucky in spots but passable. I thought most of the trail overall was in good shape.
Hammer Nutrition Endurance Fuels and Supplements
Save 15% off your first order by clicking the link below!
http://www.hammernutrition.com/affiliates/34155
http://www.miscabike.org
Steve_Kinley

Postby utabintarbo » July 5th, 2009, 8:23 pm

Mud & sand. The "beaver dam" area in the Carpenter Lake loop is once again inundated. Several other mud holes, including the connector from 19->2. Probably will be wet until January. :(
Last edited by utabintarbo on July 7th, 2009, 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
utabintarbo

Postby ferris13 » July 7th, 2009, 8:52 am

North Unit - I was out there last night for the first time in several years. Mud and more mud, looks worse then it is, very passable. I forgot about some of the sand. One pit caught me by suprise after a downhill and I almost introduced myself to a very large tree. I had a great time.
ferris13

Postby MO Speed » July 9th, 2009, 2:55 pm

First time out this year...way out of shape. Got passed by a tandum bike half way through the north course. Near the end of the trial there is a wooden pallet type bridge that is missing a plank. Watch out for that. A little bit of mud and sand but definatly passable. Can't wait to do it again next week!!!
MO Speed

Postby mbmoehl » July 10th, 2009, 12:13 pm

How fast, or slow, does this trail dry out? I've only been out there once a couple years ago, but heading out tomorrow w/ a couple buddies around 10 or 11 am and its suppose to rain over night...
mbmoehl

Postby utabintarbo » July 10th, 2009, 12:19 pm

mbmoehl wrote:How fast, or slow, does this trail dry out? I've only been out there once a couple years ago, but heading out tomorrow w/ a couple buddies around 10 or 11 am and its suppose to rain over night...

This trail is still trying to dry out from last fall.

If you avoid the loop around Carpenter Lake (which, unfortunately, has the most hills) and the stretch between #16 & #18 (paralleling Predmore Rd.), you will avoid MOST (not all) of the mud.
utabintarbo

Postby c0nsumer » July 10th, 2009, 12:28 pm

Just FYI, I was out there last night, and even the worst of the normally-muddy areas had dry /soft paths running through them. No mud on my bike at all after the ride. Sure, there were plenty of holes after things and plenty of pizza cutters, but nothing terrible. Of course, today's rain will likely change all of that.
Steve Vigneau

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby mbmoehl » July 10th, 2009, 4:43 pm

Is there a trail map posted anywhere, there isn't one linked to the trail guide. From what i remember being out there a couple years back is that one group of trails (north or south, it escapes me) was well marked and the other seemed to just disappear and wasn't marked well.
mbmoehl

Postby utabintarbo » July 10th, 2009, 10:23 pm

mbmoehl wrote:Is there a trail map posted anywhere, there isn't one linked to the trail guide. From what i remember being out there a couple years back is that one group of trails (north or south, it escapes me) was well marked and the other seemed to just disappear and wasn't marked well.

If you park at the trailhead at the corner of Harmon & Predmore, there is a large wooden map down the hill closer to the lake. It is color coded, but I'll be damned if I can remember the colors. :P

If you post up a time and place, you may just get a slow, fat guide if you're interested.
utabintarbo

Postby c0nsumer » July 11th, 2009, 12:07 am

mbmoehl wrote:Is there a trail map posted anywhere, there isn't one linked to the trail guide. From what i remember being out there a couple years back is that one group of trails (north or south, it escapes me) was well marked and the other seemed to just disappear and wasn't marked well.

I just posted a photo I took a few days ago of one of the wooden map signs in the park. This is the best map that I currently know of for the area. You can find it here or linked from the Bald Mountain portion of the MMBA Trail Guide.
Steve Vigneau

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby mbmoehl » July 11th, 2009, 6:59 am

utabintarbo wrote:

If you park at the trailhead at the corner of Harmon & Predmore, there is a large wooden map down the hill closer to the lake. It is color coded, but I'll be damned if I can remember the colors. :P

If you post up a time and place, you may just get a slow, fat guide if you're interested.

I appreciation the offer, but i'm meeting up w/ a buddy i haven't seen in a long time and since Bald Mountain is basically his back yard we're just riding from his house.

c0nsumer wrote:I just posted a photo I took a few days ago of one of the wooden map signs in the park. This is the best map that I currently know of for the area. You can find it here or linked from the Bald Mountain portion of the MMBA Trail Guide.

Great, thanks.

Edit: Just looked at the radar, looks like it is suppose to rain until about 11am. :(
mbmoehl

Postby darkstar » July 20th, 2009, 2:31 pm

A little mud right off the bat per normal but not so bad. I only road to 15 and cut out for addison as I know the area at the last bridge will be a swamp. Wasnt a bad ride at all ... nice and fast... didnt get any mud at all (yes you may have to steer around some mud but its really not worth mentioning .. that is until the last bridge) Also some of the nails are popping up on the bridges ... so if not familiar with riding here keep an eye open for that as its an easy way to get a flat. I do see some addtional love going on for this trail and i love it. Keep it going!!
darkstar

Postby c0nsumer » July 30th, 2009, 8:34 pm

Whoever did this, it's really nice. Finally a great way to get through this area. Thank you.

Also, the rest of the trail is pretty darn dry. Riding the whole outer two loops of the North Unit I only came across a handful of really small mud / puddles, and nothing in the normally bad areas. The Predmore Road connector also seems to have been trimmed very nicely.

The Conklin Road connector is terribly overgrown, but passable if you don't mind getting a bit cut / scraped up on the tall grass.
Steve Vigneau

c0nsumer

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions