CRAMBA: Bald Mountain

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Metro North: Bald Mountain

Postby fattyclark » April 20th, 2010, 5:08 pm

I had a very rare sighting today out there. He was working on a one of the downed trees. :D
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity
Out in Michigan
River Raisin Guide Service
fattyclark

Postby fattyclark » April 21st, 2010, 12:07 pm

the tube is almost totally blocked up. I also found another beaver dam and a beaver hut today but that one should cause any problems with the trails.
Out in Michigan
fattyclark

Postby Pauly » April 21st, 2010, 7:16 pm

I talked to the DNR dude out at Pontiac Lake last weekend . He told me that once those beavers started on the culvert going under the road they can't mess with them . It's in the hands of the road commission , but if you ask the road commission ...... :?
Pauly
Pauly

Postby fattyclark » April 21st, 2010, 7:45 pm

Thats what I thought, so looks like we need to get them to let a us build some boardwalks out there.
Out in Michigan
fattyclark

Postby utabintarbo » April 23rd, 2010, 11:00 am

fattyclark wrote:Thats what I thought, so looks like we need to get them to let a us build some boardwalks out there.

Or perhaps Bill Murray with some C4. :shock: :twisted:

Can anyone confirm or deny whether the previously reported downed trees have been dealt with?
Addison Oaks TC

Current quiver

Impulse control fails me. ;)
utabintarbo

Postby c0nsumer » April 23rd, 2010, 11:16 am

utabintarbo wrote:
fattyclark wrote:Thats what I thought, so looks like we need to get them to let a us build some boardwalks out there.

Or perhaps Bill Murray with some C4. :shock: :twisted:

Can anyone confirm or deny whether the previously reported downed trees have been dealt with?

I think the TC should respond about this.
Steve Vigneau

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby fattyclark » April 23rd, 2010, 3:50 pm

utabintarbo wrote:Can anyone confirm or deny whether the previously reported downed trees have been dealt with?

I can confirm the smallest one was removed coming out back on to Predmore.
Out in Michigan
fattyclark

Postby jcrazyjj » April 23rd, 2010, 8:07 pm

how does the difficulty of this compare to say the trolley trails, easiest or "more difficult" trails at stoney? the girlfriend said she wanted to try it with me this summer and im curious how it is. uphills? downhills? technicality? she's extremely new trail riding, we rode the 2-3 trolley trail today and she held her own for most of it. had to get off and walk a couple of the hills but who hasn't?
jcrazyjj

Postby svt04focus » April 23rd, 2010, 8:31 pm

Bald North would not be good for your girlfriend if she is new. This trail has several steeper and longer up hills and a couple steep and rough downhills. Also Bald is way too wet to have any fun riding. You might try Addison (near Bald North), it's 6 miles long and it's easier than Bald but still lots of fun.
svt04focus

Postby utabintarbo » April 23rd, 2010, 8:39 pm

utabintarbo wrote:Can anyone confirm or deny whether the previously reported downed trees have been dealt with?

Well, I went out there this evening, and apparently there has been little progress in handling the tree just after #3, as well as the trees at the bottom of the downhill in the vicinity of #12. This one is especially scary. :shock: Has there been any communication with the park authorities about these trees?

And I would agree with the above regarding Addison, at least the first half (up to the intersection with the paved path), The second half is a little more ....interesting.
Addison Oaks TC

Current quiver

Impulse control fails me. ;)
utabintarbo

Postby jalopy jockey » April 23rd, 2010, 8:42 pm

jcrazyjj wrote:how does the difficulty of this compare to say the trolley trails, easiest or "more difficult" trails at stoney? the girlfriend said she wanted to try it with me this summer and im curious how it is. uphills? downhills? technicality? she's extremely new trail riding, we rode the 2-3 trolley trail today and she held her own for most of it. had to get off and walk a couple of the hills but who hasn't?

I like to call BMN extreme 2 track. You could drive a jeep wrangler through it, but would be best served if it was a Rubicon. There are a number of 'regionally speaking' killer climbs and some screaming descents that are a rutty mess. You can take the descents slow if need be. If you are not intimidated by a couple of the big descents it is defiantly easier than the coaster at stony, although a could years ago my wife could ride all of stony and stopped to think about a couple of spots at Bald mountain. But that was most likely familiarity not difficulty.

Regarding Addison. Setting aside hike a bike bald mountain is easier. Addison is much more fun though.
I guess I'm lacking mental clarity because I don't smoke pot. " - Di Bear
jalopy jockey

Postby fattyclark » April 23rd, 2010, 9:42 pm

svt04focus wrote: Also Bald is way too wet to have any fun riding.

It is not that wet out there for the most part is was pretty dust the other day when i was out there. There is maybe about 1/8 of a mile or two of wet stuff(BMN).

A lot of the downhills right now have a lot of Silt built up at the bottom(aka Sand) so you got to be heads up and get your weight back behind saddle quick and let the front float and stay lose.And you go through them with little lose in speed.
Out in Michigan
fattyclark

Postby jcrazyjj » April 23rd, 2010, 9:49 pm

im still debating it. i don't want her to have a bad experience riding with me. its nice having someone to ride with whenever. For the most part shes right there beside me, i think shed be better off with a newer bike. or at least a tune up.
jcrazyjj

Postby fattyclark » April 24th, 2010, 7:25 am

Addison is a pretty good place to take her. But you might want to take her through the pines at stony a few times and see how she does 1st
Out in Michigan
fattyclark

Postby Rock N' Rolla » April 27th, 2010, 12:03 am

Yeah, try the pines and the coaster at Stoney 1st with her. My girlfriend liked those courses last year... and she wanted to know why I didn't take her there when she was begining to ride with me two seasons ago. Ha ha, lol ... I started her, sink or swim at Bloomer! Yeah, I don't recommend Bloomer for a starter.But then again My girl is one of those "if it doen't kill me, it'll make me stronger" types.
Rock N' Rolla

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions