CRAMBA: Bald Mountain

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: Bald Mountain

Postby flamingo » November 20th, 2013, 9:55 am

Rode it last night with lights. Bloody cold. Trail is in good shape. No blocking trees however lots of smaller branches. As usual the muddy spot at the entry which messes up the bike. Drives me nuts !! Would there be a remote chance for a trail day to build some simple walkway over there. I ride that trail so often that I would be willing to pony up some money for material.
flamingo

Postby utabintarbo » November 20th, 2013, 10:20 am

flamingo wrote:Rode it last night with lights. Bloody cold. Trail is in good shape. No blocking trees however lots of smaller branches. As usual the muddy spot at the entry which messes up the bike. Drives me nuts !! Would there be a remote chance for a trail day to build some simple walkway over there. I ride that trail so often that I would be willing to pony up some money for material.

Generally speaking, the issue isn't with money or know-how or labor; the issue is getting permission to do stuff. And we (CRAMBA) are working on that. But it's a (painfully) slow process sometimes....
utabintarbo

Postby c0nsumer » December 28th, 2013, 12:08 am

Bald Mountain North Unit is in amazing shape right now. There's a bunch of deadfall on the trail, but only maybe two things that required dismounting. A very solid, very grippy groove is packed in down the center of the entire trail, and I had no problems making any of the hills on a 82mm rims with On-One Floater tires and a typical 2x9 gearing. I imagine the trail could be ridden pretty easily on any MTB with sufficiently knobby tires.

Get out there and ride; it's beautiful.
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby utabintarbo » December 28th, 2013, 12:29 am

Just to add to Steve's report, there were quite a few face-smackers and "tree tunnels", and a fair amount of deadfall that can be ridden, or ridden around. And the only places where a regular MTB would have issue is on the more challenging uphill grades. But if you plan on hitting it today, hit it early, as rising temps will likely make for slushy conditions later in the day.
utabintarbo

Postby Steve_Kinley » December 30th, 2013, 2:29 pm

The south unit was in great shape this afternoon, and around the lake as well. For the most part it was like slightly bumpy and slick concrete. East of the creek was bumpier due to less snowmobile traffic and more footprints. Any mountain bike will be fine but studded tires would be preferable, although not required.
Hammer Nutrition Endurance Fuels and Supplements
Save 15% off your first order by clicking the link below!
http://www.hammernutrition.com/affiliates/34155
http://www.miscabike.org
Steve_Kinley

Postby c0nsumer » January 5th, 2014, 10:52 pm

Instead of heading out for a ride today I decided to make a new CRAMBA-IMBA map of Bald Mountain Recreation Area - North Unit. This adds a bunch more detail and context than the official map and finally shows what is meant by things like the Conklin Rd. Connector or Predmore Rd. Connector.

Check the map out here or the as an overlay and link from the Bald Mountain North Unit entry in the MMBA Trail Guide here.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby Jim O » January 5th, 2014, 11:25 pm

Looks good! Much better detail.
MLB
Mama's L'il Brat
Jim O

Postby Steve_Kinley » January 6th, 2014, 7:23 am

Nice map, but you might want to run it by the park as they might not want the Conklin connector officially recognized. Maybe this management is different but in the past they have been funny about things like that. Even though we all know it is there and used, it is not an official park trail. Also, you are missing a couple of parking areas. There is one off Miller at Chamberlin Lake, one by marker 8 at the corner of Miller and Harmon, and you might want to add the pit toilet by the boat launch and marker 14.
Steve_Kinley

Postby utabintarbo » January 6th, 2014, 8:30 am

Steve, from my dealings with the new superintendent while planning MFO, he recognizes that the unofficial trails (such as the Conklin Connector) exist (especially since he had a carsonite marker placed at the intersection), but the official line is that they stay "rustic", as in don't expect the park to maintain them, and don't go nuts while trimming. He had no problem with CRAMBA doing a trail day out there to open it up a bit before MFO.

Besides, I'm not sure we are planning to submit this as an "official" trail map.
utabintarbo

Postby Steve_Kinley » January 6th, 2014, 9:08 am

Glad to hear that. With younger management comes new thinking. I should talk to him about some of the other "rustic" trails that we use.
Steve_Kinley

Postby Jim O » January 6th, 2014, 6:19 pm

You are right about new management and new thinking, but would it be a good idea to have one voice when speaking to the Land Manager about trails?
MLB
Mama's L'il Brat
Jim O

Postby c0nsumer » January 6th, 2014, 6:52 pm

Jim O wrote:You are right about new management and new thinking, but would it be a good idea to have one voice when speaking to the Land Manager about trails?

As far as I'm aware the communication that Steve Kinley would have with the DNR at Bald Mountain would be on behalf of the Lake Orion High School trail (which abuts Bald Mountain), not CRAMBA-IMBA. The trails at LOHS are not CRAMBA-IMBA maintained trails and thus aren't anything for us to speak on.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member

c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby Steve_Kinley » January 20th, 2014, 2:26 pm

I rode 100% of Bald Mountain South this afternoon on a regular MTB, using 2.4 tires at lower pressure. I sank anywhere from zero to about 1/2 inch. I didn't try but I would assume the south side of Greenshield around the lake might be packed as well.
Steve_Kinley

Postby utabintarbo » January 20th, 2014, 2:57 pm

I rode the full White loop (east of Harmon) Saturday, and it was great for a fat bike (and likely for a skinny guy on a regular MTB). It looks as it the whole trail was machine-groomed. BMN++ :D
utabintarbo

Postby honkonbobo » January 25th, 2014, 2:20 pm

anyone been out to bald south or north today? rideable with regular 29er? looking to ride tomorrow and even packed snowmobile track is fine with me.
honkonbobo

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments